Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinect

Post Thanks / Like
    So it's basically the same as the other cameras, but with depth perception. Meh, I still don't think it'll take off.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically it works like a Wii controller with no controller...

Post Thanks / Like
    If they can make sure it's really accurate, then it may do a bit better than just being a gimmick buy. Otherwise, I don't think it will be more than that.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crazier things have happened..just look at Wii.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XboxEvolved View Post
    Crazier things have happened..just look at Wii.
    The success of the Wii isn't really crazy, all they did was give it mass market appeal. Something like this won't have the same mass appeal, because it's on a console that caters largely for gamers, not your average person who doesn't know a great deal about games.

E-mpirial Plenipotentiary Viper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically it works like a Wii controller with no controller...
    You're also missing an analog stick and 12 buttons. Can this detect force like the Wii remote can (with WM+)?

The capabilities of the camera are quite neat but for actual game implementation it will be quite lacking aside from some very, very simple titles.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

America, the Dr. will free you now.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said, we shall see. So far all they have really showed is tech demos. Also, you guys know if Nintendo was pushing this people would be buying it up as long as it came with Wii "Enter activity here".

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^That's why the motion capture would have to be really accurate if they want to use it on anything other than some boxing game. If they were to get the capture really accurate, then I guess you could use the movement of each finger as a seperate button. But then they'd have to take into account things like the size of your hand, size of each finger, etc. etc. which would be pretty difficult to do I think.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did I mention the technology was originally used for missile tracking?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did I mention the technology was originally used for missile tracking?
    Tracking a heat signature on a large object is one thing, but tracking the individual movement of each finger, and being able to tell which finger is which, is another matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said, we shall see. So far all they have really showed is tech demos. Also, you guys know if Nintendo was pushing this people would be buying it up as long as it came with Wii "Enter activity here".
    Wouldnt that still require useful gaming implementation like I said? Every peripheral Nintendo has released for Wii has a useful gaming implementation (Zapper is debatable but it does steady your aim a lot) and work in conjunction with the Wii remote, not as a replacement for.

This is looking to operate on its own and without much useful gaming implementation, it will have no market.

By the way, I think most Nintendo fans have been pretty damn critical of Nintendo this generation so I don't think it's fair to say they'd buy into anything regardless of usefulness.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Wii Sports like games, boxing games, etc are obvious choices and for developers a lot of the work may already be done on their Wii titles to make them into 360 titles (but with other additions obviously).

I notice a lot of little kids when playing games, they will move the controller around, so using the controller in conjunction like that sounds like it would work, although it would defeat the purpose of the actual camera to an extent.

They honestly would need to pack in a pretty decent game that used it to get it started, I could see Rareware for exampling making a Viva Pinata game that was entirely controlled by the camera, or even a Killer Instinct..although that would be to baller and not likely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buttons dude. What about the buttons? Wii Sports requires buttons. All other Wii gesture based titles still require buttons. How exactly are developers going to port over a Wii title to a system with no button input method?

Post Thanks / Like
    So this thing whatever it exactly is either will freshen the image of Xbox greatly or just be something no-one gives a sh!t about.

My inkling so far is the latter....Even if it IS something great, it has to be affordable to make anyone check it out.

I won't buy it as I like my gaming chillaxing with a pad but I'm interested to see what MS cooks up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Peripherals die quickly without major support from 1st and 3rd parties. They also require a level of usefulness. They must warrant their existence.

If all this is going to do is provide extremely simple tiles (more simple than even basic Wii titles) then this will never sell. It won't have the media momentum Wii had/has, it doesn't appear from what we know so far to have must usefulness, it's mid way through the generation cycle, publishers/developers don't seem to be going ga ga for it, etc...

If MS wants this to succeed, they need to go all out. Every angle must be covered with tremendous effort. They must get the media on board, they must get heavy development support going and they must convince gamers that they want it. Good luck with all that.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like

Project Natal

OK, for you MOD's, I want to discuss only Project Natal here. I looked around, and there is a couple overall MS conference topics, but no single handed Natal topics. And I think we XBX fans and Nintendo fans might want to discuss this technology.

All right...here are my thoughts. The technology is amazing. I can imagine this being used in a Killer Instinct game. OMGz it would be so awesome. However, I remember hardcore gamers complaining that the Wiimote will make them tired -- and now you have to move your whole body?

I think the whole virtual friend idea is amazing. If the technology works as advertised, imagine a Final Fantasy or some Zelda type game. You can explore a world and make friends. They could put you in the game. You would be able to learn if someone is lying to you, if someone is hiding something. A conversation can actually happen instead of pre-recorded questions/responses.

The problem with this concept is a two-fold problem. Problem number one, you still would need some sort of controller to play in the game. I doubt they would have you walk around using your legs and fighting all the time with your whole body. Some games can be 40+ hours. And the current controller is just not good enough, because it wouldn't work well with the camera technology and would remind you that your not in the game. Here I believe the Wiimote would be better. Another problem is how much work goes into making that person in the game real? Is it too much for a mainstream RPG? Because that was on a small scale. Making that bigger might be too hard and take too long.

What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallax View Post
    I think the whole virtual friend idea is amazing. If the technology works as advertised, imagine a Final Fantasy or some Zelda type game. You can explore a world and make friends. They could put you in the game. You would be able to learn if someone is lying to you, if someone is hiding something. A conversation can actually happen instead of pre-recorded questions/responses.
    This is basically the sort of thing I want to do at uni but as far as video games are concerned this is way ahead of the curve.
    Video games don't use strong AI. They use weak AI because it uses less processor time.
    The philosophy with video games is to make it LOOK smart without it being smart (which is why I don't plan to go into video games).
    Its a nice demo. If it were at the point where it could understand everything I said this would be a major breakthrough and it wouldn't just be on consoles. Tbh I got a bit of a sense that it was looking for keywords. Why was she even talking about his homework?

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch that bit properly because someone called and I can't find links to vids - I must be looking in the wrong places or when I checked they weren't up yet.
    In addition one of the biggest problems with voice recognition is accents. If they have beaten that then colour me impressed.
    I don't think this tech will ever come to a real game - and if it does I don't think it will work very well.

Sorry I keep killing it every time someone mentions it but I really do hate these tech demos due to their misleading nature.

Post Thanks / Like
    wait nintendo is in on this too?
    We the people...

Post Thanks / Like
    <game Changer>

Dragon of Dojima is Back! Diresu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interested but not convinced.
    Sapere Aude

Thread Information