Thread: Suitless Samus (spoilers for Prime series endings)

Post Thanks / Like

Suitless Samus (spoilers for Prime series endings)

I just wanted to go on a little rant because I'm angry at Nintendo for what they did to Samus' suitless appearance, specifically, her 3D appearances.

These are in order they were revealed.

Metroid:

Return of Samus:

Super Metroid:

Fusion (and Japanese version):

Prime 1:

Zero Mission:

Prime 2:

Hunters:

Brawl:

Prime 3:

Say what you will about thinking videogame characters are attractive, being a pervert, etc., but you know as well as I do she's clearly supposed to be an attractive character. What I don't understand is why, after Retro created such a good look for her in Prime 1 they went back and changed to the much less realistic, (IMO) much less attractive look that you see in the rest of the games. She even looks better in Hunters than in Prime 2 or 3 or Brawl. Hunters looks like a cross between Prime 1 and the rest. My only possible explanation would be that by the end of development of Prime 2 Nintendo decided that they wanted her to look a certain way, and that's why her look has been that way in every subsequent game.

Your thoughts? Also, rankings. (Prime 1 > Hunters > Brawl > Prime 2 > Prime 3)

Big thanks to Ihsiin for the sig!

Smash Bros. Friend Code:
    4768-7238-0108

Mario Kart Friend Code: 2578-3745-5774
    Wii Console Number: 7428-2244-6935-6135

Post Thanks / Like
    The Hunters model of Samus has been the best so far.

And I thought the reason why Samus' look has changed was obvious. It's because of Zero Mission. The Japanese designs take priority over the Retro Studio designs.

On the other hand, the Samus seen in Hunters is a mix between the more realistic Samus in Prime with the anime-type created for Zero Mission.

You also have to take into account that Retro isn't very good at creating human character models... If there is going to be a comparison of Samus' look, it should include the model's of Samus we've seen throughout the entirity of the series, not just the 3D ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find the Hunters Samus to be the most attractive one out of them all. The second most attractive one being Brawl and then MP3, followed by the first Prime and the last one being Prime 2's. I find the more anime-like Samus to be more attractive, simple because that's how I think Samus is truly supposed to look. Unfortunate the Prime 2 Samus looks like it was an extremely last minute addition so it looks very flawed and sloppy.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like her character model for Brawl the most. It's stylish and, dare I say, hot?

I understand your frustration though. For the Prime games the art direction makes environments look like, in my opinion, a more fitting place for realistic human characters than the anime inspired models; it's almost like putting Sailor Moon in a Resident Evil game (I may be exagerrating a little). There was a similar controversy when everyone first saw Joanna Dark's model for Perfect Dark Zero.

I'll be satisfied if Samus never again looks like she did in Echoes. Oh God, put the helmet back on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I like her character model for Brawl the most. It's stylish and, dare I say, hot?

I understand your frustration though. For the Prime games the art direction makes environments look like, in my opinion, a more fitting place for realistic human characters than the anime inspired models; it's almost like putting Sailor Moon in a Resident Evil game (I may be exagerrating a little). There was a similar controversy when everyone first saw Joanna Dark's model for Perfect Dark Zero.

I'll be satisfied if Samus never again looks like she did in Echoes. Oh God, put the helmet back on!
    That's what I'm talking about. You're going through these amazingly detailed, surreal worlds, and all of a sudden you get to the end and see, basically, an anime character.

Lynk, I bet you're probably right, and that ties in to what I said. When Nintendo Japan made Zero Mission and came up with that design, they decided that that design "was" the new Samus, and that's what frustrates me--anime characters look good in the 2D games, but the 3D games shouldn't have to dumb down their character models.

Smash Bros. Friend Code:
    4768-7238-0108

Post Thanks / Like
    @ Zeep: Depends on the style of anime... a game like Resident Evil 4 has anime-type character designs, just a different style.

Veteran Citizen the poe collector's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's interesting seeing different interpretations of the same character, but I guess Nintendo likes to have one constant design.

Like Zeep said, I think the more realistic designs work fine for the Prime games and the anime ones fit the 2D games better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Added 2D iterations.

Smash Bros. Friend Code:
    4768-7238-0108

I'm not the human you thought I was. Teh Roxor!'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the NES one was the hottest.

Post Thanks / Like
    she has thunder thighs in the nes version