Thread: Factor 5 worked with GameCube motion controller

Post Thanks / Like

Factor 5 worked with GameCube motion controller

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/?v=news&p=15571

Nintendo's long toyed with motion-sensing technologies, and while Wii represents the first time the company's officially employed motion control into one of its home consoles, the president of Factor 5, Julian Eggebrecht, has revealed to GameReactor that the Big N originally had plans for the GameCube controller to be equipped with such functionality, long before it ever hit store shelves.

"When we were doing Star Wars: Rogue Leader for the GameCube actually, we had an early prototype of that controller, and that had motion control," he said. "So we thought for our style of gameplay - especially when it comes to flight - about motion control for a long time, so we were kind of anticipating it, and I was always keeping it in the back of my head."

Factor 5's just wrapped-up development on its PlayStation 3 exclusive, Lair, and the motion-controlled game sees players take on the role of a knight who rides a dragon. Relying heavily on Sony's SIXAXIS controller, players fly the creature via tilt.

"Now, Nintendo kicked [motion control] out for the GameCube; with the PS3, it suddenly was back with a vengeance," Eggebrecht continued. "And it was great, because some of these certain things made sense in terms of just the flight feeling. Because if you're in a craft, like an X-wing, then you want to have almost a very un-dynamic feeling...a craft doesn't fly very dynamically - it's very rigid, whereas a dragon is a living creature."

Eggebrecht explained that the motion control translated over really well for the flight moments in Lair, but when applied to the ground-based areas, "it was horrible. It was terrible. Worst thing ever. And we tried to make it work, but at one point, you suddenly have to realise, 'no, the ground controls really feel better on the analogue stick'."

In conclusion, Eggebrecht had one message for his fellow developers: "Don't force something which is not meant for motion control onto motion control. On the other hand, if you decide 'well this thing really fits to motion control', then take your time with it. If you don't really dig deep enough into it, and really try many, many focus groups [and] many, many different people, then it might not work for everybody."
    I remember back in the day, Sega was worried about Nintendo coming out with the motion sensing controller for the GameCube.

Post Thanks / Like
    No wonder Lair feels like Star Wars: Rogue Leader with dragons

(technically more impressive too of course thouygh Star Wars: Rogue Leader did have the feel of a hectic battlespace)

Gamer of all genres. Master of none. Generosity of God's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    it all makes me wonder if motion control would have changed the fate of GC. would consumers have been ready for it? and just as important, would developers have been ready for it? Factor 5 certainly would have been since they got to it early and the great ones like Kojima are always ready.

E-mpirial Plenipotentiary Viper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Factor 5 had a real interesting technical relationship with Nintendo for a while. They created the compression scheme that allowed all that FMV in RE2 to be packed into one N64 cartridge and created several sound tools for the GC.

Having them work with motion sensing that early on makes a lot of sense.

Too bad we won't be getting any of that creativity mixed with technology Factor 5 was known for.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

America, the Dr. will free you now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factor 5 are really better for their technical strengths more than their creativity... but either way, I guess their closest equivalent at the moment is Retro Studios, since without them, we wouldn't have the Nunchuk attachment.

Post Thanks / Like
    i remember hearing about a gyro pack for the N64
    Teh Flocke of D.I.C.K's Timekeeper!i!i!i

Argueing over the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you are still fucking retarded

SHE HAS A PENIS!?- Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
    Factor 5 are really better for their technical strengths more than their creativity... but either way, I guess their closest equivalent at the moment is Retro Studios, since without them, we wouldn't have the Nunchuk attachment.
    Do go on.

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting and while im disappointed factor 5 jumped the nintendo ship i do see why. at least all the work from rogue leader went to good use i suppose instead of being thrown away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factor 5 will be missed. They made a launch GC game that looks better than some games on 360 or PS3, really.

Edit: Holy shit...I saw some of the Lair review scores...I can't say it wasn't expected but damn. I had faith.

Add Me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OnBake Platinum View Post
    Do go on.
    Nintendo originally wanted to just have the remote, but after showig it to a bunch of developers, Retro was the one that said "This is too limiting." Or at least, the one Nintendo listened to.

Big thanks to Ihsiin for the sig!

Smash Bros. Friend Code:
    4768-7238-0108

Mario Kart Friend Code: 2578-3745-5774
    Wii Console Number: 7428-2244-6935-6135

Gamer of all genres. Master of none. Generosity of God's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
    Nintendo originally wanted to just have the remote, but after showig it to a bunch of developers, Retro was the one that said "This is too limiting." Or at least, the one Nintendo listened to.
    it probably went something like

Nintendo: here's what our controller will be like.

Retro: no analog? how will MP3 work?

Nintendo: well we had one on an earlier prototype but it was very awkward.

Retro: well we still need one. can't one be attached?

Nintendo: we'll see what we can do.

*makes nunchuk prototype*

Nintendo: how's this?

Retro: pretty good

Nintendo: ok. we're thinking of adding in accelerometers too. so it's just not a stick and a couple of buttons.

Retro: sounds better.

ok so i'm making it up but i wouldnt be surprised if its pretty close (although probably not so casual). Nintendo usually get input from a few of their software guys when creating hardware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify, those "bunch of developers" were all Nintendo owned developers. I think the quote from the guy from Retro was along the lines of "How are we going to make Samus move with this?"

But yeah, as we all know, the Wiimote did go through a lot of changes since it was first shown.

No, not that frosty... <3frosty's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenElf View Post
    Factor 5 will be missed. They made a launch GC game that looks better than some games on 360 or PS3, really.

Edit: Holy shit...I saw some of the Lair review scores...I can't say it wasn't expected but damn. I had faith.
    You mean, you saw the ONE review score that seems to be out there from 5 minutes of searching? And that came from PLAY Magazine?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    This basically translated to please buy LAIR...

PASS.

I hope Factor 5 does Rouge Squadron again for the Wii, that would totally rock my socks.
    I love you, I hate you. Will you marry me? I just want to kill you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowVoa View Post
    I hope Factor 5 does Rouge Squadron again for the Wii, that would totally rock my socks.
    That'd be nice, but knowing Factor 5, they'd try to go through the original trilogy yet again, but differently, and ultimately not the way we want it.

I wish they'd do what they did in the first game, you know the last level on Mon Calamari with the World Devastators? That mission was from a comic book, It'd be cool if they recreated missions from expanded series sources such as books.

Truce at Bakura would be so damn cool, the Alliance fighting along side the Empire...

Or better yet, go through the Rogue and Wraith Squadron series of books instead of the original trilogy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by <3frosty View Post
    You mean, you saw the ONE review score that seems to be out there from 5 minutes of searching? And that came from PLAY Magazine?
    Play and EGM seem to have given it low scores. I'm not sure about play, but EGM has 3 different people reviewing (the way it should be), so that's at least 4 low review scores.

Edit: WTF are you talking about? I just looked at the Play review score, they gave it a 90&#37;, but it Gamepro gave it a 75% (=low for factor 5).

Add Me!

No, not that frosty... <3frosty's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenElf View Post
    Play and EGM seem to have given it low scores. I'm not sure about play, but EGM has 3 different people reviewing (the way it should be), so that's at least 4 low review scores.

Edit: WTF are you talking about? I just looked at the Play review score, they gave it a 90%, but it Gamepro gave it a 75% (=low for factor 5).
    I knew about the Play review score, thus why i mentioned it by name. You acted like there was a ton of great reviews for the game when you posted and to my knowledge those were all leaked scores that have credibility issues at that time. There was only one solid review with credibility and it was a single high score at the time. Thus why i jumped down your throat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information