- They research markets in the different eu countries to find the best 60GB/20GB ratio. GB will have the biggest proportion of 60GBs, then France and Germany with a slightly bigger amount of 60GBs. Southern countries like Italy, Spain and Greece will have more 20GB versions.
- Only 60Gb at launch (in germany at least). 20GB might be not available from day one, but it'll come out till Christmas for sure.
- The installed HDD is made by Seagate (he's not sure though). You'll be able to upgrade it with a standard HDD. Sony will not release its own HDDs.
- The motion sensing sw tools have been added to the devkit sw package about 2-3 weeks ago.
- The production hasn't started yet, but they have all the components necessary so they just wait for a go (in south of China and near Tokyo).
- Different colors (they ask about silver explicitly) will be launched later, supposedly Q1 07.
- Confronted with: "ps3 looks like cheap plastic". The ps3 will have a polyester coating. A special polishing liquid will be available to prevent scratches
- Confronted with: "but it's black so what about the problem with fingerprints -> psp".
"I haven't touched it yet. We use gloves. We are said to use gloves."
PR-Chef Nick Staples jumps in: the ps3 will not be caried around and overly touched normaly. They used gloves to show it around, hence no fingerprints, but therefore white fluff (from the glove).
- The ps3 will boost hdtv market penetration. All devisions of sony promote the ps3: Sony Pictures (Bluray), Sony Electronics (HDTVs) and we [SCE] make sure it all works out. There will be 'PlayStation Places' in capital cities all over the world where you can experience those 3 devision coming together (PS3, HD and Bluray).
- No plans for a HD-DVD drive addon (orly?!) ( )
- Confronted with the weekly sales numbers of 360 (18.000) vs ps2 (100.000) in the eu and asked about how the ps2 will be positioned during the ps3 launch; "Supposedly the ps3 will appeal to the hardcore gamer and only later broaden its demographic?"
-> "Yes. The ppl who who will buy the ps3 have a ps2 or maybe even a 360, but in the course of 1-2 years the ps2 and ps3 markets will stay separated."
- 45% of their business is now outside the eu (e.g. russia, middle east).
- There is way more preorders compared to ps2. They take preorders in Fr, Ger and UK.
altavista translation from the last part of the intervieuw
In the process of the Games Convention Golem.de also still spoke with Guido alto, the press speaker of Sony computer Entertainment Germany. In the discussion it concerned also the Xbox-360-Verkaufszahlen desired specified by Microsoft again: 6 million pieces are to have been already sold, to 10 million are it to end of 2006 to become. Doubted on the part of Sony computer Entertainment that Microsoft will reach this number really still in this year, one price reduction which can be expected and the exclusive title "Gears OF was taken into consideration".
At Microsoft one sees that differently; new purchase arguments were not stated however during the Games Convention 2006. Sony computer Entertainment wants to deliver world-wide approximately 4 million PlayStation 3 between 17 November and 31 December 2006, by March 2007 is the number on 8 million to grow. Briefly on it then the Xbox 360 is to be overhauled. However also Sony must still convince its customers, because on the Games Convention 2006 further only few really impressing and already playable PS3-Titel were to be seen behind the window blinds.
In Tokyo that could change, over 20 plays is then shown and by the public to be tried out to be able. Also Microsoft seems to wait with large announcements and presentations for the Tokyo Game show, which takes place in September 2006.
- He doubts that MS has sold 6 million 360s already and also doubts that they'll sell 10 Million before 2007, even with a price drop and Gears of War coming.
They have added some seemingly official charts (relevant for Ger):
installed base development in Germany
sales development in relation to price
sales development in relation to price + prediction for the rest of 06 at 129€ (?)
household penetration + prediction for the rest of 06 at 129€ (?)
sw sales development
sw market share in 06
female ps2 buyers ratio
http://scr3.golem.de/screenshots/060...0.jpg]handheld market share in 06[/url]
sales development during the first 12 month (ps2 vs. psp)
handheld sw market share in 06
tie ratio (psp vs. nds)
Credits for hey69, B3D