Thread: I think the MGS4 trailer is a direct allusion to online play

Post Thanks / Like

I think the MGS4 trailer is a direct allusion to online play

Look at the MGS4 trailer again.

Instead of the frantic running around on a small map (i.e. Teamdeathmatch, Sneaking matches are better) you have teams systematically moving around a huge map while airstrikes are going on. You can move about in First Person View, which is deliberately made a little slower than Third Person so that the gameplay doesn't become a UT-like fragfest. This encourages you to use your head.

You and your buddy move out right, where Snake uses tactics to take out your buddy first. He lures you into a broken wall, and you don't call for help on the radio either because you are a noob, or because he used chaff to screw up transmissions. As you near the wall, he performs a swat turn ala Splinter Cell (or just runs to the other side when you aren't looking). Then he performs CQC on you, which is why the last thing you see is half a second on an angry old man lashing out for your neck. CQC is much more advanced in terms of animation and control (perhaps some God of War contextual presses can work here, or maybe they just give him a whole lot of animations to be randomly used.

Then Snake takes on the rest of the military convoy. Online you can control soldiers, metal gears and planes. Perhaps this "Sneaking Mission" will pit 2 vs many instead of 1 vs many, so that another person can use the little robot.

How does that sound?

Psinext [E-mpire] Soldier 4 life...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good concept...might not be too far from the actual online gameplay. Especially after seeing subsintences online play. Minus metal gears and stuff. Maybe they'll have vehicles though. That would be nice.

PSINext forever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I don't think Kojima was really trying to go for anything beyond an awesome trailer that made fun of the FPS genre while it was there. That said, it's interesting to think what MGS4 online would be like. I wonder when the next glimpse of the game will be? Not sure if it'll be at E3 or not this year...

Welcome to the forum by the way Undercover.
    Respect to all those who debate their positions using facts and reason rather than rumor and passion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can already tell the game is going to be incredibly frantic. Stealth is going to be very troubling and this is the game that will reveal the potential of the PS3. I doubt there'd be an online-mode in MGS4, and most probably be saved for the special edition of the game. But if it is included then Undercover cop's example of it seems pretty likely. It'd be incredible too, to have AI doing their own thing in a huge war with another set of teams duking it out.

PSINext forever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm pretty sure it'll have an online mode to tell you the truth, seeing the warm reception of Subsistence's. I'd be surprised if most any games of this next-generation didn't feature some online component.
    Respect to all those who debate their positions using facts and reason rather than rumor and passion.

Post Thanks / Like
    So are you saying Dragon Quest 9 will have online? Maybe there'd be a way to incorporate Online within the single-play experience itself... one day when the majority of game console owners have Broadband...

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ hopefully. but what i think that xb meant was (try to stay with me)that all games will be connected online. for example friends(on live your always connected to your friends) or maybe for a game like that square enix will go the way of ff11. haha. or just some downloadable content.
    i represent the uninformed consumer.
    [/url]I'm trying to become more than what was predicted of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing how popular internet gaming is becoming......and how huge of title MGS4 is for the PS3..... .... I really dont see how it would not have online.

But good theory nonetheless.

*madhouse's offical creepy old guy* Smokey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    it would have to be online
    my PSN name is smokey777
    Originally posted julps31
    The truth. MGS has aged gracefully. MGS1 = MILF

Inventing the Universe CreativeWriter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xbdestroya
    Well, I don't think Kojima was really trying to go for anything beyond an awesome trailer that made fun of the FPS genre while it was there. That said, it's interesting to think what MGS4 online would be like. I wonder when the next glimpse of the game will be? Not sure if it'll be at E3 or not this year...

Welcome to the forum by the way Undercover.
    You can bet we'll see something at E3. In the latest MGS4 update on Kojima's site we learn that they are busily working on something for E3... The interviewer quickly follows up and the dev says something like "whoops, shouldn't have said that" in a joking way. So I'd guess it's a new trailer at E3...

We also learn there will be multiplayer in MGS4. Subsistence was a test of what it'll be like (according to the dev)...

I don't come round as often as I'd like LiquidEagle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, CreativeWriter said it all

Online will be in MGS4, and it'll most definitely rock E3

I like your ideas though, Cop. I'm not sure how controlling a Metal Gear would work, but the whole sweeping the city thing as a team sounds really cool. I think the depth required to make this idea as cool as it sounds would require a lot more time than a standard 6-minute deathmatch though. If Snake could play sides in the online mode like he can in the single player, and there are two opposing sides in addition to Snake (the third party in all of this), I'd love to see how that works out. I'm also a fan of the guards being in First-Person view. Playing as MG Mark II might be cool, as long as you don't have a problem submitting to authority

Post Thanks / Like
    they made the trailer start in a FPS view as a show off that they can do something like Killzone in real time. Kojima Production and many others were shocked by Killzone like the rest of us. the evidence in that is he included the Killzone demo at the end making it a target for Cell and PS3.

I believe he made the beginning in a FPS mode to show that his team can make a damn good looking game too.

of course, that showes how the first person mode will look like. but as for online, I think it is a little too early. they said that Subsistance was a testing ground for online. so MGS4 should be better and more diversed than the last one.

talking about online, Kojima said that if online prooved that successful, he may think of making an online only Metal Gear game!
    "With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
    - Steven Weinberg

“If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses.”
    - Lenny Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Well IMO the trailer was just displaying some new stuff and gear Snake would have to deal with through his mission. It also gives a nice showing of enviroments we should expect in the game. If anyone has watched all three MGS4 passports then you can make an obvious connection with the devs location and the trailer location. It didn't really touch on more then that EXCEPT that it deffinitly leaned towards strong survival elements (Not that there always haven't been). Beginning with Snake stealing that guys gun to the end snake was simply hiding in the building and surveying all that is around him. The trailer also showed possilbe interaction possibilities with his little Metal gear buddy. Furthermore you can see some weapon customization when he slides the grenade launcher on.

As far as online goes I don't believe Kojima was really trying to touch on that at TGS. But I do see where you can make that connection.

×|PSNetwork ID: Handycrap101| ×

PSINext forever
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still not too certain what in the way of MGS4 stuff will be at E3, even if Kojima has something in the works.

@SkooBoi: Well no, I wasn't really thinking DragonQuest IX when I was talking about online, so you have me there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SkooBoi
    I doubt there'd be an online-mode in MGS4, and most probably be saved for the special edition of the game.
    In Game Informer and several websites, Kojima already confirmed that there will be an online mode for MGS4, and that the matches will not be limited to 8 people like subsistence.

I just speculated that since the MGS4 trailer is similar to the Subsistence trailer, perhaps both were meant to show off the online aspects of their respective games.

I truly believe we'll be able to pilot Metal Gears as well for online play. Perhaps one in each convoy. Obviously they wouldn't be able to go inside buildings without bombing it to bits but they'd have massive firepower.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to it (it will have online, like undercover cop said, kojima said it would) --whatever kojima puts his hands on is digital gold. His first online functionality he's done is in subsistence and it's awesome. Few people get it right the first time, especially in such a sensitive entertainment business. Kojima's vision and just plain sensibility for good games, coupled with PS3's power, which still hasn't reached an upper limit-keep that in mind- Kojima's 2nd time around is gonna be sick.

There's a special kind of nerd though, who thinks computers will overtake mankind in thirty years, changing humanity in ways incomprehensible to us now, ignoring the third of the world without electricity. It gives spiritual significance to technology developed primarily for entertainment and warfare and gives nerds something to obsess over that isn't the crushing vacuousness of their lives.

I don't come round as often as I'd like LiquidEagle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kojima has never missed an E3 since probably 1997. There has always been something at each one, so I think we can say with 100% certainty that MGS4 will most definitely have a strong presence at E3. MGS always has even in the sort-of off years like 2003 when Snake Eater was very early and Twin Snakes was still almost a year from its March release. If we got a glimpse like we did at TGS, E3 is for sure going to blow our minds

I'm not taking the trailer of MGS4 as a big indication of what we can expect and exactly how it's going to look, but I think Cop here hit on some great ideas that I doubt are too far from what they have planned for MGS4. My advice? Go to Subsistence's website (or Kojima's HIDEOBLOG) and send in mail with your opinions on Subsistence's online and how they could change things for MGS4. Our reaction to Subsistence will govern a lot of MGS4's online play, I think, and Kojima does read the mail in the HIDEOBLOG (sorry, I have to caps it ). It's worth a shot, anyways, to send them some mail with some thoughts and do your part to help out MGS4's online

LaLiLuLeLo has some good points too, I just read them after posting this... I don't think Kojima is super on-hands with online stuff since like he said it's his staff that plays Counter-Strike & stuff, not him. He's admitted that he isn't too familiar with online FPS games (he gets 3D sickness in case some people here didn't know that ), but I think it's also worth noting that MGS4 will have online from the get-go so Kojima will be more involved than he was in Subsistence's online. Like everything Metal Gear (see: Digital Gold as LaLiLuLeLo pointed out), Kojima at least has a role of oversight so I'm sure we're in for a real treat.

Thread Information