Thread: Next Big RPG only for GC . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Next Big RPG only for GC . . .

"Giftpia may be billed as an RPG, but it's really more of an adventure -- or perhaps what Nintendo likes to call a "communication game". There are no stats beyond your health meter, no random battles, and character development follows a set path and storyline. In a sense, Giftpia borrows a lot from Nintendo's Animal Crossing -- minus the constant "get me" chores and emulated classics.

(The inventory screen lets you sort items by type. You can eat fruit and mushrooms, show photos and tickets to other characters, use the kidney-shaped wish containers, swipe your ATM card to put away cash, and more.)

You slip into the role of the Nanashi Island native Pockle, a young lad who could easily be a long-lost brother of Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy. In a crazy opening sequence that closely resembles Southeast Asian shadow puppet theater, we learn that Pockle oversleeps and misses his coming-of-age ceremony and, whether there is some karmic relation or not, a fierce typhoon wreaks havoc on the island the island. Pockle is taken to task by the island's mayor and goes to jail for treason. Since he's underage (and dating the mayor's daughter), he soon gets off with community service, but is bound by a ball and chain and forced to walk around not only in a prison outfit, but also with his face obscured by a TV-style mosaic effect. "

keep you eyes peeled for this great RPG . . coming only to GAMECUBE!!
    more on GiFTPiA
    source: IGN
    THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY ADDICTIVE ABOUT THE WII

kaPOW!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really want this game to come to the US. BTW theres another big RPG you should be looking out for.

Tales of Symphonia.

De-modded...sh1t
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah ToS is lookin to be pretty dope and I din't know gifpia or whatevr looked like that, I am kinda gettin sick of the cartoon look.

Your Amicable Overlord D3adcell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYTHING ON NINTENDO CEL SHADED!!!

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nintendo only has one cell shaded game out. What are you bitchin' 'bout?

Moron.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    They have 2 more that are supposed to be big coming out cel-shaded.

The reasons are:
    1. It is the trend right now.
    2. You can have more expressions more easily

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, its easier for them to make. But whats easiest is not always best. I am sick of all the cel shadedness.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being an artist, Asarien especially loves the cell technique. Besides the expressions and 'trend' or what not, it is creative and original. Asarien preffers cell shading than any other realistic style because we all see things in realtime shading, why play a game like that as well?

Gamers need to broaden their horizons to the point beyond reality. That's why Asarien preffers Nintendo, and that's why he has the most enjoyment playing games.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the games I mentioned earlier I believe is called Killer 7 that is coming out cell shaded and it sounds like its going to be a awesome game. Probably a typical first person shooter but the shading might but a unique twist on it.

De-modded...sh1t
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOah Cheat Master you are totally wrong about it being easiest, it is hard to do that they couldn't even do it on the 64 when they tried to and only now they can with the cube's power.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Asarien
    Being an artist, Asarien especially loves the cell technique. Besides the expressions and 'trend' or what not, it is creative and original. Asarien preffers cell shading than any other realistic style because we all see things in realtime shading, why play a game like that as well?

Gamers need to broaden their horizons to the point beyond reality. That's why Asarien preffers Nintendo, and that's why he has the most enjoyment playing games.
    You are my hero.

I totally agree. And Nintendo has only released one cel shaded game, so I don't see what your problem is. PS2 has even released more cel shaded games than Nintendo has (Gungrave, Auto Modellista, etc.) So.. Really, there's nothing to argue about. If you have a problem with it, then I suggest finding something else to play.

Anyway - It looks awesome. I might check out some imports..

Post Thanks / Like
    Cel Shaded is not original. not anymore, its like everyone is making cel shaded games. Capcom has Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe. Ubi Soft coming out with XIII (which does look good). Nintendo witht his game and zelda now. Ultimate Muscle or whatever the hell that game is. Robotron. I'm just getting sick of the fad of cel shadedness. Yes cel shaded is easier to do then the realistic look. I think that some games could be better if they were done in full 3d instead of cel shaded. yeah some 3d looks really shitty. But game developers need to start pushing the 3d and quality of the games to best they can instead of coming out with tons of shitty games (not saying nintendo, there are alot of developers doing this like activision and especially acclaim).

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like cel shading.. And personally, I don't believe they should stop making them. To me - Cel shading really makes the game attractive and I like it much better than just full 3d/regular designed people. Just not as interesting, in my opinion..

You see real people every day, face real problems, whatever, and that's not something I want to see in a game. I like to see something different than what I see in reality. That's just my opinion, though..

Of course, you don't have to just have cel shading to accomplish that. But cel shading does add to it making a more non-realistic look, and it's something I prefer.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Cheat_Master
    Cel Shaded is not original. not anymore, its like everyone is making cel shaded games. Capcom has Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe. Ubi Soft coming out with XIII (which does look good). Nintendo witht his game and zelda now. Ultimate Muscle or whatever the hell that game is. Robotron. I'm just getting sick of the fad of cel shadedness.
    Cell shading isn't necessarily a 'trend', and even though Jet Grind Radio (Asarien's favorite game of all time) was the first to feature the technique in full 3D, each cell title following are all original. Regardless. Each cell game uses a different style of cell shading.

For example, Killer 7 and TWW are both cell shaded, but they are totally different in styles. Same with Sly Cooper and Cell Damage. They are all original in their own ways.

Yes cel shaded is easier to do then the realistic look.
    Again, I must prove you wrong. With realisitc 3D graphics, depth of field is given easily. All developers have to worry about is shadows. But with 2D designs, the developer has to find solutions to deal with space accuratley, and has to prove to the player that the flat object that they are viewing has volume and weight.

...game developers need to start pushing the 3d and quality of the games to best they can instead of coming out with tons of shitty games.
    Honestly... What is wrong with you? Have you seen games like GT3, Metal Gear Solid 3/Twin Snakes, Resident Evil 0, 1, 4, Star Wars: Rogue Leader, Half Life 2, and even HALO 2?

After all this realism, then what?

I've said my piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never said those games were bad, i said there are alot of games out there that are pure shit being made. Thats why i said acclaim...There are good games out there, but there are tons of shitty games to.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    i like the look of cell shaded graphics -- i think the worlds are more intriguing than real life or realistic looking games.

i miss games that dont rely on the physics of the real world. one of the great franchise of all time (Mario Bros) would never have come to life if its creator was only thinking of making a realistic game with realistic character . . walking mushrooms, hit blocks to get $$, star power, and an evil dragon that spits fire. now thats a classic
    THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY ADDICTIVE ABOUT THE WII

Thread Information