View Poll Results: Smart decision by Sony... or not?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a smart decision

29 67.44%
  • No, not a smart decision

14 32.56%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two versions of PS3. Good thing or bad thing?

Penguin... Penguin... Penguin! imported_The_One's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Two versions of PS3. Good thing or bad thing?

if you haven't already, read:
    http://www.ps3insider.com/modules.ph...le&sid=103

So, what do you guys think? Is it a smart choice to make 2 versions of PS3? One without a HDD (like PS2) and simply DVD and Game support, and one with HDD and all the bells and whistles. Or should Sony just combine most of the features (including the HDD!) into one version and price it around 400-500 USD?
    "Please understand that in cases where the OS itself is acting in an unstable fashion, this software could behave in unpredictable ways. Unfortunately, this happens to be the case at all times with Microsoft OS's." - Japanese PC game disclaimers!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the latter. Sony should bundle everything into on affordable package (yeah rite!) but then there's always the cost issue. The price of the console will skyrocket.
    PSINEXT.com
    Honda-Tech.com JDM Enthusiasts

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the article about "broadband distribution" I definetly say "NO" to that. I still would rather go to the store, choose a game, purchase it and play it at home.
    Who are they kidding about hoping many people having broadband and at 2 or 3 MB! That's insane my DSL connection only goes 512K download. There are way too many people still on dialup!
    Hmmm.... that's an interesting question. That's like saying would you like to buy a PS2 with the following included peripherals: ethernet modem, keyboard,mouse, extra controller, hard drive, tivo...
    And my answer is yes and no. If yes, then at least give the option for people with just the game console to purchase these other bells and whistles as an optional peripheral.

Post Thanks / Like
    good point there about the PS2 with all the periphirals added on it already.
    PSINEXT.com
    Honda-Tech.com JDM Enthusiasts

Psinext [E-mpire] Soldier 4 life...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakypat
    On the article about "broadband distribution" I definetly say "NO" to that. I still would rather go to the store, choose a game, purchase it and play it at home.
    Who are they kidding about hoping many people having broadband and at 2 or 3 MB! That's insane my DSL connection only goes 512K download. There are way too many people still on dialup!
    Hmmm.... that's an interesting question. That's like saying would you like to buy a PS2 with the following included peripherals: ethernet modem, keyboard,mouse, extra controller, hard drive, tivo...
    And my answer is yes and no. If yes, then at least give the option for people with just the game console to purchase these other bells and whistles as an optional peripheral.
    I feel the exact same way. I would rather have a physical game and a case to carry it around with than downloading a game to a harddrive. I hope sony doesn't try to hard to develop a new standard. What would happen to Gamestop, or electronics boutique? I don't want to have to pay $40.00 a month just to play my console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would rather have a physical game and a case to carry it around with than downloading a game to a harddrive.
    Same here, and what happens when some sort of power surge screws up your PS3's HDD? Then you lose all your money since you lose the game that's stored on your HDD!!
    "Please understand that in cases where the OS itself is acting in an unstable fashion, this software could behave in unpredictable ways. Unfortunately, this happens to be the case at all times with Microsoft OS's." - Japanese PC game disclaimers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does that mean if I decided to want an HDD, I have to buy the other version instead of just an HDD as an add-on? Well, I can't complain since it's not official and we don't really know the real story.
    Signature is for the weak.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are not talking about the need to download a game. I'm sure that it would be an option if that were availible. So you could either go to the store and pay $50 for the game or pay $50 and download it. It would be more used for shared computing and downloading demos.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think some of you misunderstood what they meant; they want to release a scaled down version ( that will most likely support modular upgrades ) for the ppl who do NOT want to shell out $400+ for a game system, and a higher end version for the techno-philes/people who don't want the bs that comes with a computer. As for the term "broadband distribution"; it's been well known that sony is a broadband isp in japan, i think they simply want to expand that using the playstation as a gateway. Someone mentioned how so many people are still on dial-up, well that is the case but ONLY in the U.S. ; the playstation would provide a perfect transition to broadband for these people (perhaps when you buy a ps3 there will be a voucher for a few free months of cable/dsl, pending your area is wired). Maybe the people with the higher end version playing socom 3 will be allocated extra bandwidth when they host a game on Sonys ISP.

Oh yeah and regarding the statement they made about having a broadband service with 3-100Mbit/s, read This .

*whew* haven't posted here in a while.

Waiting for MGS4 80GB bundle NickSCFC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sony and Microsoft have both confirmed that they will be launching online music services later this year. The first step in the online distribution process I believe :mrgreen:

Post Thanks / Like
    so basically what everyone is trying to say is that, sony is trying to use the same scheme as the phantom?
    i represent the uninformed consumer.
    [/url]I'm trying to become more than what was predicted of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not quite. Sony are working towards broadband distribution of media content such as television, movies, music and games exclusively to its own systems (VAIO, PSX, PS3+, PSP).

Post Thanks / Like
    Its smart..it will be like a new version of PSX but with PS3 games and more features. And as for the 2-3Mbs internet connection speed, i think it will be possible by 2006 im on 1.5Mbs now and i pay $39.99 a month so in 2 years it is possible for my internet provider to increase the connection speed.

And its hillarious how some of u voted NO....SONY knows what they are doin lmao and they are a bit smarter than most of u, so if they have thought of this plan there has to be atlest an 80% chance the ywill suceed, they arent retards u know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    They are not talking about the need to download a game. I'm sure that it would be an option if that were availible. So you could either go to the store and pay $50 for the game or pay $50 and download it. It would be more used for shared computing and downloading demos.
    no see your not getting the point. Once games go thru online distribution they will not Cost $50 dollars....dont u see that online distribution cuts out the middle man and all the UNNESISERY people? How u may ask...easy how are games sold? In this lil DVD case which costs MONEY, on a DVD which ALSO costs MONEY....once the ygo online distrubution these thing ont be neseserry and the games will drop price. Would u rather pau $50 for a game on a DVD disc from some game store, which by the way u have to get to first...OR dload the damn game in a manner of MINUTES for a cheaper price, maybe like $25 bux....thats 2 games right there for a price of 1. And if u read carefully ONLINE DISTRIBUTION will not begin untill MOST of the users have a great connection speed. So that might not even happen till like 2008 or so, even tho i do belive i will be on 3+Mbs by 2006, read my post above to see why =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrooklyn
    no see your not getting the point. Once games go thru online distribution they will not Cost $50 dollars....dont u see that online distribution cuts out the middle man and all the UNNESISERY people? How u may ask...easy how are games sold? In this lil DVD case which costs MONEY, on a DVD which ALSO costs MONEY....once the ygo online distrubution these thing ont be neseserry and the games will drop price. Would u rather pau $50 for a game on a DVD disc from some game store, which by the way u have to get to first...OR dload the damn game in a manner of MINUTES for a cheaper price, maybe like $25 bux....thats 2 games right there for a price of 1. And if u read carefully ONLINE DISTRIBUTION will not begin untill MOST of the users have a great connection speed. So that might not even happen till like 2008 or so, even tho i do belive i will be on 3+Mbs by 2006, read my post above to see why =)
    Currently, a game cost about $35 per disc to create. They then sell it to retailers at a profit from $5-$10 and then the retailer sells it to you at a profit from anywhere from $5-$10. So really, the only thing that will come from online distribution, is that games which were passed over before because they were too risky will now be picked up because the profit margin will increase. Games won't be sold at $25. They will continue to sell the games at $50 and take the extra $5-$10 to pay for the distribution of the games (those high speed distribution servers cost money) and putting more money into games.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrooklyn
    Currently, a game cost about $35 per disc to create. They then sell it to retailers at a profit from $5-$10 and then the retailer sells it to you at a profit from anywhere from $5-$10. So really, the only thing that will come from online distribution, is that games which were passed over before because they were too risky will now be picked up because the profit margin will increase. Games won't be sold at $25. They will continue to sell the games at $50 and take the extra $5-$10 to pay for the distribution of the games (those high speed distribution servers cost money) and putting more money into games.
    thats not what i heard =\ plus if u read the interview u can see tha the SCEE representative mantioned the games price WILL infact drop if the games go thru online distribution =\

but hey only time will tell....

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, time will tell everything, including whether they will or will not create two different versions of the PS3.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time will tell everything true true. But you also lose the basic functionality of being able to play the game at your friend's house. If you buy the game from a store you get a disc. Then you can use the disc on any PS3 system. Unless Sony is making it so you can send your games over a broadband connection to your friend. NOT! If anything that broadband distribution MIGHT be a 2nd option that Sony is adding so you can pretty much choose to buy the game from the store or download. So yeah everybody wins! :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakypat
    Time will tell everything true true. But you also lose the basic functionality of being able to play the game at your friend's house. If you buy the game from a store you get a disc. Then you can use the disc on any PS3 system. Unless Sony is making it so you can send your games over a broadband connection to your friend. NOT! If anything that broadband distribution MIGHT be a 2nd option that Sony is adding so you can pretty much choose to buy the game from the store or download. So yeah everybody wins! :wink:
    But then again its been stated everyehre that ONLINE gaming is what NEXT GEN CONSOLE and PC games are all about =\

so that kinda says tha tyour friend will need to buy the game anyways =\

PLUS im pretty sure that you will be able to download DEMOs.....as a matter of fact i think that downloadable demos might even start on ps2...why else would u need a 40Gb HDD for? but who know...ONLY TIME WILL TELL =X

Post Thanks / Like
    Online gaming is mainly for unsociable people. Nothing beats having your mates round, a few beers and Pro Evolution Soccer :mrgreen:

Thread Information