Thread: Project Scorpio reveal today! 14:00 GMT

Post Thanks / Like

Project Scorpio reveal today! 14:00 GMT

I might as well make a thread about this. Let's keep an eye on the media today, I've no idea if they'll stream this or it'll be just an article or feature at Eurogamer / Digital Foundry.

The current rumor is that it'll be called Xbox One X. I wonder if they'll discuss price or release date, as I don't think they'll reveal too many games. I'd be surprised if they keep it under 500 if the specs are truly premium.

Another rumor I read is that Microsoft is compelling developers to "interpolate" the CPU logic through various methods in order to push 60 fps on all games. Whether that's possible or not, I don't know.
    Last edited by Luis; 04-06-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Article: tech reveal

Specs:

CPU - 2.3GHz custom eight core CPU (Supposedly "Jaguar Evolved").
    GPU - 2560 cores at 1172MHz, 6TF.
    Memory - 12GB GDDR5 with 326GB/s memory bandwidth.
    Hardly a generational jump, barely no new info other than what reliable rumors had said before. This will be good for current generation games running at high specs but it will bring nothing new to the table. I can see it being successful if they compete with PS4 Pro's 400 price (to be announced at E3 I guess), but I doubt it.

I'm guessing that since most specs were known already (even 12 GB GDDR5), they just went ahead and disclosed them before entering production. I'd expect anywhere from September to November release date, since the dates line up with PS4 Pro's final specs and release date.
    Last edited by Luis; 04-06-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Hasa Diga Eebowai solidsnakejej's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is basically them getting ahead of spec leaks from developers, their biggest issue with this thing is games to showcase the system which seems to be only Forza and Crackdown.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are doing a couple things right though:

- System-wide supersampling. Here's hoping this will force Sony to update PS4 Pro's firmware to enable it as well.

- Backwards compatibility in general and 360 emulation in particular will benefit from software improvements. Bilinear and trilinear filtering will be converted to 16xAF, which on top of using screen tearing solutions (triple buffer?) and supersampling, will make old games look and play better than ever. This is something that I don't ever see Sony doing.

Then again, I think the system's major weak point will be the lack of exclusives. They'll always share these with Win10 PCs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    - Bilinear and trilinear filtering will be converted to 16xAF, which on top of using screen tearing solutions (triple buffer?) and supersampling, will make old games look and play better than ever. This is something that I don't ever see Sony doing.

Then again, I think the system's major weak point will be the lack of exclusives. They'll always share these with Win10 PCs.
    Forcing this stuff can break games. That's why Sony doesn't do it and the boost mode is a check box, Pro could use a system wide supersampling method though.
    Not all devs will welcome this if it fucks with their game, why just show Forza 6 to DF. Also MS just isn't focusing on getting new IP and exclusives out there. Anything they release going forward is W10 PC. Scorpio is pointless for me just as I'm building a new PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Windows 10 gaming PC, I have no reason to buy such a device, really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metal View Post
    Forcing this stuff can break games. That's why Sony doesn't do it and the boost mode is a check box, Pro could use a system wide supersampling method though.
    Not all devs will welcome this if it fucks with their game, why just show Forza 6 to DF. Also MS just isn't focusing on getting new IP and exclusives out there. Anything they release going forward is W10 PC. Scorpio is pointless for me just as I'm building a new PC.
    I understand that as well, forcing these software tweaks can introduce bugs but Microsoft has been improving backwards compatibility in a solid way. Sony just doesn't see the point in investing on that front since they have other solutions or simply don't care about BC at all.

As for showing Forza and that screenshot that seemingly shows 30% free GPU time at 4k60, it's easy to realise it's a cherry-picked game and gameplay moment. Forza games run at 1080p60 on a 1.4 TF GPU already, so a 4x more powerful GPU with further enhancements should be able to breeze through it. In the end it'll be the more powerful system for sure, but its shortcomings won't be tech-related.

Quote Originally Posted by BahnNZ View Post
    I have a Windows 10 gaming PC, I have no reason to buy such a device, really.
    Same here. I wouldn't consider buying one when I can just upgrade my GPU and have a more powerful system for less money at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, nice box... Now show me the exclusives.

I like Phil Spencer, he's running the company exactly the way I would, instead of the way Don "Satan from EA" Mattrick did. Poor hardware was one of the top 5 reasons XBox One lost. That original XBox One with the Kinect nobody wanted. I hope he's now investing in studios and exclusives. It takes years, maybe even decades to build up a stable of 1st party content providers and partners. If you're such a company do you go with Playstation with 51% of the market or Microsoft with 25%, that's completely dead all over asia. The abuse I get at the games shop for buying an XBox One S, really.

A lot of XBox fans I know have no idea what they're looking forward to. Halo 6 I guess? On Playstation it's a dozen titles. It's very hard to keep up with all the new exclusive content.

As for me. My GTX 1070 is as fast as a Scorpio, only I have a better CPU. By the time it comes out I'll have done the yearly upgrade and will be twice as fast as Scorpio. And running all those XBox "exclusives". Difficult to care.
    Last edited by BahnNZ; 04-07-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The machine is very powerful.

Not very clear is Scorpio will have some Exclusive Games.
    ”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Post Thanks / Like
    It won't have any exclusives, everything is now under the W10 banner XOne/Scorpio/PC, plus Microsoft first party titles going forward will be released on PC also. If you mean Xbox Scorpio only and dropping XOne compatability... Not gonna happen (except for VR titles, as XOne can't handle those). MS will be screwing an entire userbase doing that. This is a mid-gen update... their XOne Pro, they're in the same situation as Sony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Scorpio is much more powerful than X1, too bad it will not have any exclusive, at least in the near future. PS4 PRO is powerful also, but it is much closer to PS4 compared to Scorpio/X1. In the case of Scorpio, X1 is holding back much more the potential of the new MS Console, I think. Developers have to keep in mind the lowest common denominator, and the more powerful hardware is the one which generally is more sacrified. At a certain point, this total compatibility must end, when the difference in SPECS is too high, or we will play the same games, just with prettier textures and lighting.
    ”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    The PS Pro and Scorpio aren't massively different, despite the "unprecedented" PR job that DF did for Microsoft.

This image is even wrong in places. The Pro has a custom chip as well, both are Jaguar not much in it here. Pro has an additional 1GB of Ram for sharing services, 9 total, 5.5 for games. Scorpio has 4GB reserved for system, 8 total. This is where Scorpio will have the advantage in textures, with memory bandwidth as well.

GPU Scorpio hits the 6tf no over Pro due to 4 more CU's and faster clock.

PS4 has 18 CU's.

PS4 and X1 really can't be compared to Pro or Scorpio and both systems could do a lot more without backwards restraints. The biggest limiting factor in both these devices is the custom Jaguar CPU's running at 2.1 and 2.3 clocks, next gen really needs better CPU's in addition to GPU upgrade.

The compatibility will end when the PS5 and whatever Xbox is next gets released in 2-3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I've just done the same upgrade on my PC, from a GTX970 with 4TFlops and 4(3.5 really) Gigs of ram, kinda like a PS4 Pro to a GTX1070 with 6TFlops and 8 Gigs of ram, kinda like a Scorpio.

Really has been the most boring upgrade I've done on my PC ever. Diminishing returns kicking in.

And it doesn't bloody run Horizon Zero Dawn.
    Last edited by BahnNZ; 04-10-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    $500 would initially sell enough, but if they're forced to keep that price for a while they'll simply lose the sales to the competition, as well as to their own products.

I can see it enjoying success at $400, but with those specs I really don't think it'll happen initially. It'll win the brute force race and then it'll be in a difficult position until the next batch of systems comes out. And now I'm curious about whether there'll be another generation 5 years from now, as in PS4/PS4P // Xbone/Scorpio not getting PS5/XboxNext games without significant upgrades beyond resolution, 4k/8k assets, scaled down physics, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    No way Scorpio can cost less than $499 at Launch, with that kind of hardware inside, no way. Also PRO could have a price cut by that time and you know how much price is important in Holiday Season, it is the key point.

Harriet Tubman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Metal View Post
    Don't forget: This is mother fucking Microsoft. If anyone knows software, and how to make everything come together, it's Microsoft. My problem with Microsoft and Xbox is 2 things: It's still Microsoft (ahem, I don't need to explain myself: Windows.), and Xbox with the exception of Xbox 360 doesn't usually have a influx of developer support. Microsoft is like Nintendo at this point; relying on lower, bottom feeder indy 3rd party developers. Some major 3rd party developers do games on the brand, but it's not much. And their first party output? Shit. They'd have to come out swinging Next Gen if they want to break even. Which I don't see happening until they get their act together.
    Quote Originally Posted by BahnNZ View Post
    And it doesn't bloody run Horizon Zero Dawn.
    Theoretically, it can run Horizon better than Pro, because it has more CPU/GPU power, memory, and more teraflops, but it's a Sony first party game, soooo...
    Last edited by Carlos; 04-15-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Hasa Diga Eebowai solidsnakejej's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    ^That's the most low key set design I've ever seen for a console reveal. They might have spent $1000 on that entire stage, audio gear and technician pay included, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, has anybody bought one?

Thread Information