Thread: so.. i cook..

want a baby? garden weasel! bryan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    note to self: don't click on thread about bryan's awesome looking (and probably awesome tasting) food thread on an empty stomach.

great stuff man, they look delicious and awesome presentation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always wanted to go to cooking classes as hobby. Great stuff Bryan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! It's never too late to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks awesome man...

I wish I could cook, awesome stuff.
    "THIS STORY IS DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE CYBERPUNKS WHO FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE AND CORRUPTION EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES." - Snatcher
    Laguna: "Chill man, it's cool." -- Youtube
    Five Things We Won't See in the Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Best Controller to KB/M Program: http://joytokey.net/en/download (ask me if you need help)
    PSN ID: Londonstani // PS4 Screenshots
    Steam ID: curryking3 // Steam Screenshots & Flickr Screenshots

*madhouse's offical creepy old guy* Smokey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks awesome @bryan making me hungry mate (I cooked bacon last night )

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    my favorite mate
    my PSN name is smokey777
    Originally posted julps31
    The truth. MGS has aged gracefully. MGS1 = MILF

Post Thanks / Like
    God that's awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    would love that plate right about now....love the rare-medium meat and the potatoes and the sauce...oh everything on there

Longing for Times Passed OmniStalgic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How competitive is it to start a career in the food industry?

if I wanted to began a career in the food industry, would a certificate program from a county college do me any good?
    “Had the religion of Christianity been preserved according to the ordinances of the Founder, the state and commonwealth of Christendom would have been far more united and happy than they are. Nor can there be a greater proof of its decadence than the fact that the nearer people are to the Church, the head of their religion, the less religious are they.”
    "By their Fruits, you will recognize them..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, a certificate program would be a good start. Have you ever worked in culinary? I vaguely remember us talking about this some years back.

Jobs are pretty competitive. No more than a lot of other fields, though. You would want to find a culinary program that's accredited by somebody.. James Beard Foundation, American Culinary Federation or something like that. There are plenty out there. That being said I think an associate's degree program is probably ideal.
    Last edited by bryan; 06-13-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, a certificate program would be a good start. Have you ever worked in culinary? I vaguely remember us talking about this some years back.

Jobs are pretty competitive. No more than a lot of other fields, though. You would want to find a culinary program that's accredited by somebody.. James Beard Foundation, American Culinary Federation or something like that. There are plenty out there. That being said I think an associate's degree program is probably ideal.
    yeah, I worked in food service for the state for a while, and recently I did some part time work at a bar where I helped the head cook. But, I"m just getting kinda bored of my current job and the state isn't as reliable as it once was.

Thinking about getting into either Culinary Arts or learning ASL now for the Fall semester.
    “Had the religion of Christianity been preserved according to the ordinances of the Founder, the state and commonwealth of Christendom would have been far more united and happy than they are. Nor can there be a greater proof of its decadence than the fact that the nearer people are to the Church, the head of their religion, the less religious are they.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Both could be solid choices.

Culinary arts is not the easiest route to go, nor does it pay the best. It is a very practical field that requires a lot of hard work and long hours but you can take solace in knowing that you are learning the basic skills that will get you started pretty much anywhere you want to go. You will also spend your entire career learning from people. It's pretty sweet and I fuckin' love it.

Those skills will also stay relevant throughout your career.. even the craziest restaurants doing the most impressive, scientific and artsy food in the world base everything that they do on the fundamentals, which is what you'll learn in school. But if you do it right, you'll always be building your catalog of skills.

So, I dunno man. It's a rewarding career but it isn't for everyone. I've given up relationships, friendships and all sorts of shit for this because normal people don't understand it. If you ever want to talk about it, feel free. I wish you the best of luck either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both could be solid choices.

Culinary arts is not the easiest route to go, nor does it pay the best. It is a very practical field that requires a lot of hard work and long hours but you can take solace in knowing that you are learning the basic skills that will get you started pretty much anywhere you want to go. You will also spend your entire career learning from people. It's pretty sweet and I fuckin' love it.

Those skills will also stay relevant throughout your career.. even the craziest restaurants doing the most impressive, scientific and artsy food in the world base everything that they do on the fundamentals, which is what you'll learn in school. But if you do it right, you'll always be building your catalog of skills.

So, I dunno man. It's a rewarding career but it isn't for everyone. I've given up relationships, friendships and all sorts of shit for this because normal people don't understand it. If you ever want to talk about it, feel free. I wish you the best of luck either way.
    Sounds like passion to me...and @ 27, I feel like I'm just in a mid-life crisis already! lol...I'm in a decent state job, salary range is decent, I think I max out at 51k (base salary not including raises) but have a strong chance of being supervisor as early as next year which is a slight max bump to 62-65K. Not a lot of money by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not broke either It's a very boring job for decent pay and good benefits, and you don't start at those ranges, you have to work a good 5-6 years to reach them.

I didn't have a plan when I was in school, so I just spent a little money in county college, and then didn't finish, I didn't want to have 50k of debt with a degree I didn't even care for, or making me the same amount of money I would without it. But I'm really envious of people with careers. I want to do something that pays decently, but more importantly feels rewarding. The problem is, I don't know if my passion for cooking is just to see my family members happy and make there taste buds sing. (I make ok beans n rice and when my family comes over asking me to cook it, it's such an incredible feeling :yummy I also have a desire to help others, and I'm already signed up for an ASL program at my local county college. I assume it would be just as easy to get into a Culinary arts class though since I was just behind on some math pre-requisites for a lot of the associate degrees, but neither of these have complex math. I just don't know if I had the right amount of passion for it. If I switch over to something, I want to excel at it, not just try something different just because I'm bored.

I'm also enrolled in a fireman program and just sent in my letter informing them I'm still interesting. I'm ranked #5 so I don't even know what that means Tks for any insight you can give me though, I'm just at that cross roads where I've found peace with myself and my religion, but still feel a little empty because when it comes down to it, you spend a LOT of time at your place of work.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    those are making me hungry

Droppin' The Verse Now Viper the Snake Spatula's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    bryan pls cook for me
    Please let me die alone

[22:54] XboxEvolved360: Im just saying Im hungry
    [22:54] XboxEvolved360: and because of that hunger
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: I think I have a better chance of doing it
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: if you make realistic goals then you are just another person
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: if you make crazy goals
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: and you dont make them
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: oh well

Post Thanks / Like
    That kind of money?!

I wish, dude. I dunno, maybe buy some cooking classes?

Joe:

I'll be your family chef and personal assistant/chauffeur/body guard

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw your work on facebook, and I was thinking: "Whatchoo trying to be, bryan? Gordon Ramsey or somethin'?" lol

But, nice work. I agree with Masteratt on the first plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniStalgic View Post
    How competitive is it to start a career in the food industry?

if I wanted to began a career in the food industry, would a certificate program from a county college do me any good?
    You might want to start getting on this if you have intentions. Many cable networks are airing culinary shows, food shows, and whatnot. Everyone wants a piece of the food industry pie. This means that in the next few years, we're going to see an uptick of restaurants, an uptick of chefs, and the like.

I see the food industry growing exponentially in the next decade.
    Last edited by Carlos; 01-28-2015 at 03:24 AM.

Droppin' The Verse Now Viper the Snake Spatula's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bryan

I make bagels

Your cooking looks good though
    Please let me die alone

[22:54] XboxEvolved360: Im just saying Im hungry
    [22:54] XboxEvolved360: and because of that hunger
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: I think I have a better chance of doing it
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: if you make realistic goals then you are just another person
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: if you make crazy goals
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: and you dont make them
    [22:55] XboxEvolved360: oh well

Thread Information