Thread: Is it just me or does Youtube suck now?

Your Amicable Overlord D3adcell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or does Youtube suck now?

For the past few months videos randomly buffer forever and never load. Even on 360p. It's not my connection as speedtest shows:

Ping: 9, Download: 15.92 Mbps, Upload: 1.5Mbps.

Anyone else have the problem of constant buffering, loads for a few seconds and then back to buffering?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been problematic in Germany for a long while. But it was dependent on the ISP in use. German Telekom has (or had?) massive bandwidth problems in high traffic times (i.e. evenings and weekends), making even 360P videos unplayable with a good connection. Other providers I used (Alice for while) never had these problems. One way to circumvent this was to use a different proxy or VPN... but that's not really an option.

Youtube has this page, which shows your ISPs connection speed and others... maybe it shows congestion, too

https://www.youtube.com/my_speed

And by congestion, I mean "the ISP doesn't buy enough bandwidth", not that the "internet is full". Decix (Europes connection to the US) is still at only 10% PEAK!
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had any trouble with bandwidth yet, but I can't say I'm a fan of the oversimplification of the auto video settings. Although I haven't checked if I can "unsimplify" them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use it much, but I having noticed any of that.
    PSN:venomlvjr

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been great for me. Not rubbing it in your face, just noting nothing seems to be wrong with YT atm (I use it quite often as well). Loads as fast my internet allows. I did notice that less popular videos (yes, less popular) seem to load slower. I think they put certain videos with less than whatever views in whatever amount of time on crappy servers.

Anyway, try clearing you cache.
    Last edited by masteratt; 04-09-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had similar problems, as well. Buffering has become more common and movies will just stop and start for no reason.
    "A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action." (Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross)

My stories, available for the Kindle. The latest, Damnation, was released in September 2014.

Neither enemy nor friend Otacon305's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Youtube has sucked since they disallowed copyrighted material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper
    I saw naked men
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I was a (...) receiver. I saw men naked in the shower, tackled them to the ground, got tackled, huddled together (...), wore tight clothing that accentuated the buttocks (...) There was man meat everywhere. (...) I hung around with a bunch of guys. Took showers with a bunch of them 5 days a week. (...) I crave the cock (...)

"The spirit of the warrior... will always be with you."

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not a Youtube thing, though, that's greedy corporations being overbearing control freaks. I'm talking to you Sony BMG, Warner Bros. Music Group, and Viacom. Viacom has no place in that kind of stuff. They own EVERY MEDIA CONGLOMERATE ON THIS PLANET. Guarantee you that you could trace Youtube back to Viacom somehow. They're the building blocks for life in the entertainment industry. They're EVERY media conglomerate's father. Yet they'll take down one measly video due to copyright infringement as if they don't have a quadrillion dollars.
    Last edited by Crazybone126; 04-09-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Your Amicable Overlord D3adcell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the video I was trying to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bneObwRa-84

I did the speed test thing on youtube and it shows my speed to be much higher than average of USA and my area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Works flawlessly here... but my ISP uses an internal proxy for Youtube... so I dunno.
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah sorry to say works well here too (480 and 720p). Restart everything lol (router, pc, browser) and clear browsers cache and stuff (or try another one).

Post Thanks / Like
    Works fine for me too.

*madhouse's offical creepy old guy* Smokey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    what shits me with YT is ill watch stuff in 720/1080p and itll never buffer sucks half of 20 mins no worries instanly but crap in 360/480 will stop start i mean WTF and my line does 115.0Mb/s down & 2.4Mb/s up

my PSN name is smokey777
    Originally posted julps31
    The truth. MGS has aged gracefully. MGS1 = MILF

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the same here. Its been like this ever since I moved to Bristol. I couldn't even guess what it is because some videos will stop buffering half way through, then I refresh and it works; but some videos just won't play. Those ones, its not worth bothering. Its not going to work, just come back tomorrow. But then I'll select the next video and that will work fine. If I go back, no dice.

Thread Information