Thread: Best and Worst Game Endings

Post Thanks / Like

Best and Worst Game Endings

With the recent discussions about Mass Effect 3 having "the worst" [sic] ending in all of history, I'd like to know from you what were your most cherished and most hated game endings? WILL include spoilers... please label as such.

I for one LOVED the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4 and as a close second Final Fantasy X

(though the Deus Ex machina mechanism was a but... too much for me).
    MGS4 had everything. Drama, exposition and most of all, closure. It's one of the few, maybe even only games, where I cried tears when the credits started rolling.

I really hated the ending of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood... Not from the story points that were raised, but from the gameplay...

Yay, give the player a gamebreaking weapon, when it's CLEARLY less interesting to play this way.
    Nothing gamebreaking, but... it just wasn't fun.
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    / Mass Effect 3 - Love and Hate
    I have mixed feelings about ME3 ending. STRICTLY, as a story. It could have been told better. But once I Googled around wtf it meant and got exactly what Bioware was going for, it was an amazing dark ending. Fitting to the game's universe to be honest. Hopeless battle against a superior race and the toll it has taken on the commander.

Minuses include, if you take it as it is, it's very convoluted. Not many people without Google is going to understand wtf was going on. And it doesn't wrap up anything. I love dark endings (ala- some of Heavy Rain), but you gotta conclude the story man.

That's strictly story based. Gameplay wise, yeah it was all shit. I mean a franchise based on choices and consequences dumbs itself so much in the latest instalment, and VERY much so at the end choice to the point nothing really matters. Again, you could say that was intentional, given the context of the story and this is where that game design vs story stuff comes in but, no, to me that is inexcusable. Your choices always mattered in Heavy Rain and that had happy to downright depressing endings so it is do-able.

Heavy Rain - Pick one, pick all, they are all good to me
    I just loved all the endings because pretty much all your choices mattered. And not only choices but if you unintentionally failed something, you cared. As it meant your simply fucked that part up with no retry screen and in some cases, character would die because of it.

That's one reason to love the endings, other is they all wrap up YOUR story nicely. And the teasing one at Paige's book signing gave me chills. That was awesome.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Easy as A,B,C (and D)
    Terrible mechanic. It took me right out of the universe just like that *snaps fingers*. Just, no.

Great thread. Those are the three that came to me straight away. I'll add more posts later after more people (hopefully) participate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't like the ending of Deus Ex Human Revolution either...felt way too cheap.
    PSN:venomlvjr

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm gonna have to agree with Deus Ex: Human Revolution as well. The ending didn't even FEEL like an ending. I had no idea I was fighting the final boss. It was far too quick. The ending just came up out of nowhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    The final boss fight for Batman: Arkham Asylum felt the same way to me. And it didn't help that it was an awful boss fight, too. But then the ending came and it was absolutely perfect. A real jaw-dropper if there ever was one.
    "A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action." (Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross)

My stories, available for the Kindle. The latest, Abraxas, was released in June 2014.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as a note: I am generally not fond of how any videogame ends.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Good
    The ending fight and how I was forced to finish it resonated with me. While the speech at the end was long-winded (as with most of the dialogue from any MGS game), it was one of the few endings that made me feel sad.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Good and Bad
    I liked the ending up until the additional cutscene in the middle of the credits. I felt it was too much of a fan-service and ruined the "actual" ending.

Mass Effect 3 - Bad
    It's a damn shame this has been the subject of conversation for a month now. It is exhausting talking about all the inaccuracies this ending had, and masteratt also brings up something worth noting: No decent ending should require research for explanation. (Indoctrination Theory is fan-made, by the way). I won't say this is the worst ending to any videogame ever, but I will say it is the most disappointing conclusion to any game I played.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Boring
    You jump around to various places using a "I win by pressing X" device, then you fight a boss using QTEs and doing the standard Assassin's Creed combat stuff (blocking for counter kills)

Warhammer 40,000k: Space Marine - Boring
    Fight waves of enemies and then fight a boss using QTEs. Press X a few times, then A, then X a few more times, then B. Repeat this cycle 3 or 4 times and you beat the game. The ending doesn't really resolve much, but the story was pretty lame to begin with.

Gears of War 3 - Bad
    A mostly dull boss fight that lasts 15 minutes and with zero cover (you know, that thing the whole gameplay revolves itself around). Then you get a cutscene with some forced emotional stuff and all the bad guys die. Nothing brought up earlier in the series or in this game is answered.

Batman: Arkham City - Good
    This whole game was good. I was happy to see one of my predictions was correct as well as it made things more interesting. It was a little odd seeing Batman sad over what happened, but the ending was satisfying.

Borderlands - Bad, Boring
    After fighting a stationary vagina-tentacle beast, I find out that I was "tricked" into saving the planet by a satellite. As a reward, I get a bunch of shitty items. LOLWUT.

BioShock - Bad, Boring
    I'm cool with defeating Atlas and all, but the "morality" choice was bland and boring, so both endings seem juvenile. The good ending involves me dying around all the Little Sisters I saved and the bad ending (which occurs if any Little Sisters are harvested) is about how I want to take over the world? Hmm.

Mass Effect 2 - Good and Bad
    The suicide mission, despite how linear the level layout was, was an adrenaline rush. I also really liked how I had to select certain squad members for certain tasks. The choices you made and the upgrades mattered if you wanted everyone to survive. The fact that this mechanic wasn't reused in Mass Effect 3 was disappointing. Why was the ending bad, though? It ends on the same note as the first game: The Reapers are coming and we have to be ready for them!

All add any other games I can think of in a later post.

Post Thanks / Like
    From previous generation:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Best ending
    The last hour of the game makes you stay at the very edge of the seat. There's hardly any rest in that final sprint of thrill, and you're only allowed to relieve some tension after a couple of events that felt like the end themselves, but then they weren't. The debriefing afterwards is fitting too.

From this generation:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Best ending
    Pretty much everyone agrees that the epilogue (and the real ending) is just perfect

For some reason I can't think of any particularly unsatisfying game endings right now

Post Thanks / Like
    One big spoiler this thread.

Favorite was... Call of Duty Black Ops. Great ending, now here's a really awesome zombie level where you get to play as JFK shooting zombies in the white house. Doesn't get better than that. You feel JFK would have been handy in a zombie fight.

Games should give you a cookie once you're finished to keep you playing. Even if it's just opening up the ultra hard level.

Ones that end with a song are good. Portal or Plants vs Zombies. Really... Finish with a song.

Post Thanks / Like
    - Best ending ever would have to be Final Fantasy X

What a beautiful story!!! Forget the voice acting and occasional goofy Japanese exposition and its stunning.

Other games that had amazing endings were: MGS 3, inFAMOUS, Journey, Heavy Rain, Arkham City, Enslaved and Halo Reach

Worst ending ever has to be without a doubt Mass Effect 3. My Shepard would have said a big fuck you to the catalyst. Right up until the end all your choices were yours and they mattered. The guy i was forced to play at the end was not my Shepard. Bioware's actions speak louder than my words though. They know their ending is shit hence the summer DLC to fix their nonsense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay... let's have some old and new-school fun here.

Recent endings that were great:

Batman: Arkham City
    Such an astounding ending it makes you forget how shitty the final boss was.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    An emotionally satisfying and fulfilling end to a trilogy. Naughty Dog, don't try and add another game to this series. It's done. Let it be.

Mass Effect 2
    Delivered the pathos the third game couldn't because it wasn't bound by an "ending."

Metal Gear Solid 3
    Everything from the conversation with the Boss to the final conversation with Ocelot is a stunner.

Metal Gear Solid 4
    The scene with Snake, Ocelot and Sunny is unnecessary, but the scene at the cemetery brings us full circle in a remarkable way.

Recent endings that stunk:

Mass Effect 3
    I don't hate it as much as some of you guys, but yes, it was underwhelming.

Halo 3
    Bad enough it had to be a rip-off of the original finale, but man, that stunk. Little late to go for drama when you half-assed it up until that point.

Half Life 2: Episode Two
    This has more to do with that fat fuck Gabe Newell at Valve. It's been almost five years. I'm still waiting...

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    I never expected to use the words "low-key" for a Zelda finale, but here we are.

Bioshock
    Should have ended with Andrew Ryan. The rest is decent, but underwhelming, filler.

Halo 2
    Never mind that the story was a schizophrenic mess, but the way it ended felt like a slap in the face.

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
    Hopefully the rumored PS3 Syphon Filter comes out this year so I can take this cheap-ass cliffhanger off the list.

Splinter Cell: Conviction
    I don't like that kind of story structure in the first place and the ending is Cliche 101.

Resident Evil 5
    More cliche 101. Skip the internal monologue bullshit if that's all you have to say.

Great classic endings

Super Metroid
    The bikini moment aside, the "twist" with the Metroid has a surprising pay-off.

Final Fantasy VI
    It works because of all the time invested in the characters and you want to see how everything works out.

Chrono Trigger
    Take your pick. There're 15 of them.

Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Your final escape. Has to be seen on higher than easy difficulty.

Final Fantasy VII
    Goes one scene too long, but it was remarkable for its time and it still works now, thanks to the characters.

Metroid
    It was more shocking in 1986.

The Legend of Zelda
    The promise of a second, more diabolical quest? Sign me up.

Bad classic game endings

Sonic & Knuckles
    I dunno. The Doomsday Zone music did more for me than the actual boss fight.

Phantasy Star II
    Not that the ending is bad, no. It's just the true final boss pulls out the rug from under you and amps up the difficulty even more.

Link's Awakening, Super Mario Bros. 2
    I've never liked that kind of ending. Makes everything meaningless.

Half-Life
    If only we knew this would become a recurring theme. I repeat: That fat fuck Gabe Newell.
    Last edited by Pro A.; 04-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    "A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action." (Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross)

My stories, available for the Kindle. The latest, Abraxas, was released in June 2014.

*madhouse's offical creepy old guy* Smokey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    well cant remember if it was good or not (long time ago) but i just about cried when Syphon Filter ended i loved that game
    my PSN name is smokey777
    Originally posted julps31
    The truth. MGS has aged gracefully. MGS1 = MILF

Post Thanks / Like
    The first one has always been a personal favorite for me, as well, even though the story doesn't make sense in spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ending of Rage totally blew, you just flick a bunch of switches. Big bag of suck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro A. View Post
    The first one has always been a personal favorite for me, as well, even though the story doesn't make sense in spots.
    ya i bought it on PSN but i find it unplayable now (have to use D pad)
    my PSN name is smokey777

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh. I'm used to the d-pad cause that's how I played it to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    it was probably the last game i played on d-pad its been about 12 plus yrs since then.
    my PSN name is smokey777

Thread Information