Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The GTX 680 thread of benchmarking and touching myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BahnNZ View Post
    For balance, here's a pair of 7970s kicking some 680 ass in Metro 2033 in high res

Not so much in 1080p

My problem with the 680 is that 3 months after the release of the 7970 we have a card that performs 10% better than the competition at 10%+ clockspeeds. When put at the same clocks the cards themselves trade blows in just about every game. The 680 is also using a smaller bus and is still sporting 2 gigs of memory. Everyone fallowing the launch of Nvidias 28nm line pretty much viewed the 680 as the mid line card in what should of been a full fledged launch of the 600 series. Also locking the card down as far as voltages seems to be little more than an attempt to sell more partner factory oced cards, AMD is guilty of this to an extent as well though their locks are easily undone. Overclocking any card does not by any means require much user work these days nor water cooling or anything of the like. Realistically gaining 20%+ performance out of the 7970s took about an hour and was even easier with my old 400 series Nvidia cards.

AMD driver support is horrid though.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want some fun look up benchmarks for the AMD HD 6670, it may be what the PS4/Xbox 720 are based on.

Really weak ass card, really hope the rumors aren't true.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Yeah, nVidia to have much more wiggle room for a 6 series card on a larger bus, . I'm fine with 2GB of memory, I don't run games at mad crazy resolutions which would require >2GB, I'm a 1080p guy.

Way I look at it,the 680 at the same clock is going toe to toe with the 7970 on a smaller memory bus. :O

It's wrong to suggest nVidia have over clocked their cards 10%. These are shockingly cool cards. Never get over 50 c. Not like my old 9800GTs which would go straight to 70 just by looking at them.
    Last edited by BahnNZ; 04-10-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want some fun look up benchmarks for the AMD HD 6670, it may be what the PS4/Xbox 720 are based on.

Really weak ass card, really hope the rumors aren't true.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Yeah, nVidia to have much more wiggle room for a 6 series card on a larger bus, . I'm fine with 2GB of memory, I don't run games at mad crazy resolutions which would require >2GB, I'm a 1080p guy.

Way I look at it,the 680 at the same clock is going toe to toe with the 7970 on a smaller memory bus. :O

It's wrong to suggest nVidia have over clocked their cards 10%. These are shockingly cool cards. Never get over 50 c. Not like my old 9800GTs which would go straight to 70 just by looking at them.
    I'm not saying they have oced their card but rather at stock the performance increase is directly related to almost the exact same higher core clock percentage. When u put the 2 at the same clocks performance is almost exactly the same. Their architecture is on par with what Amd offered 3 months ago.

I have been an Nvidia fan since my 7800, but I wasn't impressed by what I seen with the 680 or them locking the clocks. Though hands down what they are doing with software support and drivers is extraordinary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we game differently, you're a latest and great guy right? I like to play the old garbage too. More old garbage and dodgy emulators run on nVidia. Not only am I chuffed to bits with my switch from AMD to nVidia, I kinda wish I bought that overheating power sucking hunk of junk the 480 a couple of years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we game differently, you're a latest and great guy right? I like to play the old garbage too. More old garbage and dodgy emulators run on nVidia. Not only am I chuffed to bits with my switch from AMD to nVidia, I kinda wish I bought that overheating power sucking hunk of junk the 480 a couple of years ago.
    Actually the 400 series gpus are very affordable right now and are selling at very reasonable prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best price per performance is probably the 560Ti 448 in Nvidia's range atm.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like you guys are obsolete already.

GTX 690 launching May 3rd

I dare anyone to make a triple SLI of that!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think a triple sli works with a dual GPU card.

But in any case, it already doesn't scale linearly with those 2 gpus, so the gain in buying more than one (999USD) card isn't really worth it.
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    It seems like you guys are obsolete already.

GTX 690 launching May 3rd

I dare anyone to make a triple SLI of that!
    God I hate the computer hardware market.
    http://e-mpire.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19726&dateline=129306  9612

Post Thanks / Like
    But why? It's not as if you have to buy it at all... not a single game of today needs anything faster than a 680 or 7950 or whatever. Not a single one. And it's also reasonable to suggest this will stay this way for a while, too. My 6870, which is "totally old" by those standards still plays nearly every game at 1080P/60Hz. Why would I want to upgrade? For edge cases like BF3 (where I can't get 60Hz or enable real AA)? Or for badly ported game, which need WAY faster hardware than what the game looks like (GTA4)? Surely not.

It's the same with "Slim" consoles... it's the same fucking device, just looking different.. And people "need" to buy it... (I bought a Slim PS3 on day one, but also because my 60GB started to show some problems and I needed to get rid of it fast). It's still playing exactly the same games at the same settings etc. Maybe it's a bit more silent, but nothing REALLY major.

With PCs, there's the misconception of one always needing the latest and greatest, whereas on consoles "6 year old tech is still top notch". Doesn't really make sense. Additionally, most PC monitors of today can't even display more than 60Hz anyways, so going beyond that with any game doesn't yield ANY advantage. (newer displays sometimes can portray 120Hz, though).

Ranti rant...

As dumb as it sounds (after having written the above), I want one, too^^ (mostly because of me being a Linux guy and a programmer wanting to play around with PhysX and Cuda).
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    It just makes everything confusing.
    http://e-mpire.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19726&dateline=129306  9612

Post Thanks / Like
    It's already been confusing as hell if you don't keep up^^ And with CPUs it's (imho) a lot more confusing.
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    You can dual sli those.

Le Cabalry: Dwhittenempire, goku2057, Milly, Zac, Alias, Colin™, Spatula, mysterio, Nathan, C.J., Resident Darkness

Your Amicable Overlord D3adcell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goku2057 View Post
    You can dual sli those.
    but at $2000, why would you want to? Very little ROI there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, I was simply stating that it was possible.

Le Cabalry: Dwhittenempire, goku2057, Milly, Zac, Alias, Colin™, Spatula, mysterio, Nathan, C.J., Resident Darkness

Thread Information