Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The GTX 680 thread of benchmarking and touching myself

Post Thanks / Like
    On game that didn't work, Prototype.... Got it working. Just switch the auto in the drivers to 16 bit/CD Quality.

Now see if I can tweak it enough to not look fugly... Stop looking fugly, or I go and play the much better Infamous instead!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if I plug in this 9800GT I have lying around will I get better PhysX performance... It's just collecting dust...

Guy on the nvidia forums got a big performance increase with a 9800GT/GTX470 pair up.

Nah, can't do it without major surgery...
    Last edited by BahnNZ; 04-07-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BahnNZ View Post
    Now see if I can tweak it enough to not look fugly... Stop looking fugly, or I go and play the much better Infamous instead!
    See? All that fancy, expensive bling-bling you are adding to your games can never hide their actual gameplay fugliness

Post Thanks / Like
    You can work miracles with some real old ass games. Got Quake 1 looking pretty good using this thing called darkplacesengine. Best thing it does is interpolate the animations to proper key frame, nice!

But yeah, some games are forever fugly. It can't fix bland art direction, poor animation, bad soundtracks and the rest.... But if infamous ran on PC, it would be looking a loooot better.
    Last edited by BahnNZ; 04-07-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Animation interpolation? That could be nice!

I remember originally playing Quake 1 on my first ATI 4x AGP GPU back in the day. Then I found a beautiful mod that enabled it to run on my Voodoo 2 with all the bells and whistles and my mind was blown away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Watchies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R14iqJnUtl0

Almost unrecognizable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, looking great.

By the way, since you reminded me, I found Quake in my old archives and I'm currently replaying it. Beyond GL Quake, I did have a mod that added full mouse look and some revised assets, which make it look good enough and as enjoyable as ever

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually just bought 2 7970s, was going to go with the 680s but wanted the extra gig of ram and didnt like the power design or the oc "lock" with the 680s. Though the 680s are great cards.

Post Thanks / Like
    2 7970s,nice....

And, deflects criticism off me... "Why do you need a GTX680 then?!?! Huh? Huh?"

Well... There's a guy over here...

E-mpirial Plenipotentiary Viper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BahnNZ View Post
    I wonder if I plug in this 9800GT I have lying around will I get better PhysX performance... It's just collecting dust...

Guy on the nvidia forums got a big performance increase with a 9800GT/GTX470 pair up.

Nah, can't do it without major surgery...
    Rather surprised it won't work for you.

I've always heard that was one of the big benefits to holding on to an older nVidia card was being able to have it handle the PhysX and that it was real easy to get going.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

America, the Dr. will free you now.

Your Amicable Overlord D3adcell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Rather surprised it won't work for you.

I've always heard that was one of the big benefits to holding on to an older nVidia card was being able to have it handle the PhysX and that it was real easy to get going.
    Sounds more like a space issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'd want it for High PhysX on one game, Batman Arkham City, it would need something like a dedicated 460. Would make zero impact on other PhysX games like Metro 2033.

Switch the PhysX down to normal it runs around 55 fps maxxed out. Really nice PhysX too, smoke dynamically moves around dudes walking around and stuff, very nice.

Second GTX680 in six months I think, see how the new batch the games coming out run. Metro Last Light, Aliens Colonial Marines etc.

Wiring problem, too much rewiring to get a 6 pin connector, not worth the grief for something I knew wouldn't work. Case is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard that SLiing 680s is pretty much worthless. From a benchmarking perspective anyway. It doesn't add very much right now. Drivers could change that though.

Le Cabalry: Dwhittenempire, goku2057, Milly, Zac, Alias, Colin™, Spatula, mysterio, Nathan, C.J., Resident Darkness

Post Thanks / Like
    It only makes sense for MASSIVE resolutions... i.e. 3 displays at 5kx2k. With 1080P, even my slow 6870 produces 60Hz in most, though not all games.
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I've been reading you get a straight 2x from SLI

What people have been saying is 3x GTX680 is a huge loss, no point in doing that.

There are a couple of system sucker games like Batman Arkham City and Metro 2033 that will suck up any system you throw at them, and for 3 monitor set ups you'll need SLI for the resource munching games.

But yeah, you can tune the system eater games down a bit with no big loss on the latest cards. Swap that memory eating multi sample FSAA for a shader based edge detection FSAA just like they do on consoles, the new advanced ones look well nice. One things for sure, next gen jaggies will be no more.
    Last edited by BahnNZ; 04-09-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, Nvidia is really kicking AMD's ass this time around aren't they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes and no, if you have MediaExpress and want to crunch some videos a pair of 7970s will do better, a lot better. And AMD cards run Metro 2033 better, kinda, because you're missing the PhysX, and yeah if you're a mad crazy system builder with a PC giant water pump, water blocks, drilling holes in your case and... water dripping down your motherboard you can overclock 7970s and over clocked 7970s will run within 5% of over clocked 680s.... For $50 more money, woooo....

But for joe public buying a card in a shop and sticking it in his PC 680s do kick much ass, yes. nVidia have fixed up what's wrong with their cards, heat and power hogging.

And these are your basic reference 680s, not the OCed special editions, or the 4GB card that's coming up. Or of course, the GTX 690 :O

Veeeery pleased with my purchase. Literally there are 10-15 games that used to refuse to run that now work, and lots of apps too. Blazing Angels is the one that still refuses to run. Won't run on AMD, won't run on nVidia. Annoying that... Like a bit of Blazing Angels.

And a still got a couple of games that don't work because they're just so garbage they probably never worked... On anything.
    Last edited by BahnNZ; 04-10-2012 at 12:27 AM.

*madhouse's offical creepy old guy* Smokey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    bahn you sound like youve lost that spring in ya step
    my PSN name is smokey777
    Originally posted julps31
    The truth. MGS has aged gracefully. MGS1 = MILF

Post Thanks / Like
    For balance, here's a pair of 7970s kicking some 680 ass in Metro 2033 in high res

Not so much in 1080p

*madhouse's offical creepy old guy* Smokey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    im gonna have to learn all this MSAA, AAA 4xAA etc etc or is there just a MAX setting on pc games?
    my PSN name is smokey777
    Originally posted julps31
    The truth. MGS has aged gracefully. MGS1 = MILF

Thread Information