Thread: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Your Amicable Overlord D3adcell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

I couldn't find another thread with the search function so... here it is.

The game is out now and remember it's made by Slant Six? The guys that did Socom Confrontation the abysmal pile of crap that didn't even work until a month after launch? Well, as you could guess, this game ended up getting bad reviews.

It seemed like it could be a fun 4 player co-op game. However after seeing what these tools did to the Socom franchise I could not trust them (zipper may have ruined it as well but that was much later).

Here is the metacritic ranking as of 3/26/2012:
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-...critic-reviews
    MetaScore: 54
    Userscore: 5.4

Some quotes from reviews:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamespot
    A frighteningly flawed action-heavy spin-off that withers in the shadow of its superior alternatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    Operation Raccoon City is an under-designed and under-produced nightmare, a game that delivers the bare minimum in every category and stops right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    The terrible AI, the lackluster locations and the complete lack of atmosphere or memorable characters destroy what could have been a brilliant offshoot. In the end, Operation Raccoon City is little more than a poor man's SOCOM, and a destitute man's Resident Evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq
    Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is everything I hoped it wouldn't be: a mediocre shooter hoping to be bolstered by the Resident Evil name. It takes what is arguably the series' best setting and wastes it, forcing players to plod through generic underground facilities and the occasional, oddly vacant street from one boring encounter to the next.

Has anyone played this game at all and what are your thoughts on it?

*I have no intention of playing this game, but my disdain for Slant Six games has motivated me to make this thread warning people of their shitty products. I was once suckered into purchasing a Slant Six game at launch, the thought of anyone else doing the same is scarier than any Resident Evil game.

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother asked me if he should get it... he's a REAL RE nut... that and Mario Kart are (to a degree) the only games he actually plays. I told him to hold off until it's bargain bin (the German version is censored, too... so meh). But having seen some reviews and videos... I guess it's not even worth that, because it's simply broken.

It's funny, because I think Capcom expected it to do pretty well, because it's a shooter. Although a lot of gamers are dumb as fuck, I don't think they are that ignorant^^
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Gamers are a smarter bunch than they're given credit for. Generally speaking, we know crap when we see it.

I'm at a loss as to why they keep revisiting the same material over and over again. It was fine the first go-round. Yeah, I know... money.
    "A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action." (Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross)

My stories, available for the Kindle. The latest, Damnation, was released in September 2014.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually don't mind Raccoon City as a backdrop at all... I rather question the overal notion of making a shooter out of the series. In a recent article, someone from Capcom claimed that the market for "horror games" is too small to sustain a game like RE... I think that's bullcrap... but who am I to tell him different...

It's yet again a case of "how to destroy a brand", I guess. If RE6 bombs as much as this game does, the series is finished.
    Kept you waiting

Your Amicable Overlord D3adcell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro A. View Post
    Gamers are a smarter bunch than they're given credit for. Generally speaking, we know crap when we see it.
    Sorry but working at a game retailer I can not agree with that statement at all. I guess the people that really know there stuff and do research on the internet, sure. But most 'informed' people are informed with blatant stupidity. Look at the sales results for some of these super poorly done games, all it takes is good marketing and they sell.

I don't know how many people pre-order a game that sucks to get a pre-order bonus (say an "unlockable" shotgun for in game use) that they are then only disappointed when they find out the pre-order bonus is an in game digital item and not a real shotgun.

Neither enemy nor friend Otacon305's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I've been hearing (much like my first impressions, way before release) it's more like RE: Raccoon Shitty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper
    I saw naked men
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I was a (...) receiver. I saw men naked in the shower, tackled them to the ground, got tackled, huddled together (...), wore tight clothing that accentuated the buttocks (...) There was man meat everywhere. (...) I hung around with a bunch of guys. Took showers with a bunch of them 5 days a week. (...) I crave the cock (...)

"The spirit of the warrior... will always be with you."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D3adcell View Post
    Sorry but working at a game retailer I can not agree with that statement at all. I guess the people that really know there stuff and do research on the internet, sure. But most 'informed' people are informed with blatant stupidity. Look at the sales results for some of these super poorly done games, all it takes is good marketing and they sell.

I don't know how many people pre-order a game that sucks to get a pre-order bonus (say an "unlockable" shotgun for in game use) that they are then only disappointed when they find out the pre-order bonus is an in game digital item and not a real shotgun.
    Fair enough. I sold games at Target for a little while and, yeah, there are plenty of stupid people. The bell curve, though, would probably show a lot more smart gamers than people realize. While the "hyped" games sell, I was surprised to see a lot of passion for games like Fallout 3, Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, and other games you wouldn't think of as being in the mainstream. Crap like Just Dance may sell, but quality like Uncharted 3 (using the analogy since they were released around the same time and both sold well) is still making money and inspiring gamers and developers alike (I hope).

And we are a vocal, passionate community, as the Mass Effect 3 fiasco proved. Our expectations are rising as the gaming industry continues to delve deeper with its artistic ambitions, which was shown conversely with Journey, which is burning up on the reviews and sales front.

Getting back to RE, the series has really fallen since RE4. Some of the excursions like the Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles and RE5 haven't been horrible, but it's a far cry from what they were doing in 1996-2002. What used to be one of the best franchises in gaming has been sliding down the slope like Sonic has been doing for two decades. Instead of marching forward, they keep looking back and praying for lightning in a bottle to strike. Hopefully that changes with RE6 in November, but my optimism has been waning.
    "A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action." (Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross)

My stories, available for the Kindle. The latest, Damnation, was released in September 2014.

E-mpirial Plenipotentiary Viper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro A. View Post

I'm at a loss as to why they keep revisiting the same material over and over again. It was fine the first go-round. Yeah, I know... money.
    It landed 2nd place in the UK chart.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...i-raccoon-city

But as Benn in the comments section noted, it was launched BEFORE the reviews were published.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

America, the Dr. will free you now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Otacon305 View Post
    From what I've been hearing (much like my first impressions, way before release) it's more like RE: Raccoon Shitty.
    I know, but I love RE. I'm probably not getting it.

Le Cabalry: Dwhittenempire, goku2057, Milly, Zac, Alias, Colin™, Spatula, mysterio, Nathan, C.J., Resident Darkness

Post Thanks / Like
    RE:Revelations on 3DS has largely removed all puzzle elements as well but it's still a pretty good game. Perhaps it's because it's a portable game instead of home console.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

Post Thanks / Like
    But wouldn't make good puzzles make a lot of sense on a mobile device?
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed, it doesn't feel right. It should contain more puzzles and less intense action just because it's portable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have felt the same until I gave it some thought. RE puzzles usually require lots of 'time' to work on which isn't something mobile gaming doesn't usually offer. With the usual backtracking, trying out a few things, etc...it's a pause in the action that can leave you disoriented when you try to pick it back up and you can't recall where you left off.

RE: Revelations is even cut into a couple of dozen stages to ensure a player can handle an objective mission during the average commute. If they threw in old school RE puzzles, you may find yourself in the middle of the puzzle but at the end of your commute.

On a portable, the fast pacing of an action title makes it more portably accessible. On a home console though, where time can be offered in larger chunks, the classic puzzles and survival horror atmosphere should really come back. RE4 was fantastic for mixing the 2 genres but I'd like to see it further refined with a little more emphasis on the puzzles. Or just throw down an absolute old school RE just updated like the REmake on GC.

Neither enemy nor friend Otacon305's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    RE4 was fantastic for mixing the 2 genres but I'd like to see it further refined with a little more emphasis on the puzzles. Or just throw down an absolute old school RE just updated like the REmake on GC.
    Yes, yes, yes. REmake RE1, 2, 3, and 0 with RE4/5 controls/perspective. Just allow shooting on the move and picking items up after you drop them and it'll be perfect.

EDIT: Oh, and of course updated graphics, but no ridiculous Incredible Hulk musculature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper
    I saw naked men
    I was a (...) receiver. I saw men naked in the shower, tackled them to the ground, got tackled, huddled together (...), wore tight clothing that accentuated the buttocks (...) There was man meat everywhere. (...) I hung around with a bunch of guys. Took showers with a bunch of them 5 days a week. (...) I crave the cock (...)

"The spirit of the warrior... will always be with you."

Thread Information