Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I want (need) to build a new PC...

Neither enemy nor friend Otacon305's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So I want (need) to build a new PC...

I downloaded Adobe After Effects the other night, to try and do some homework. Found out it wouldn't run on my laptop. I'm running a Panasonic Toughbook from 2006. I don't know the specs exactly, but I'm sure you can guess. The thing can barely run 4 tabs of Firefox. Two minute youtube videos chug. I need something beefier, preferably a desktop, and I'd like to put it together myself (I've never put a PC together myself before). I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck, which comes in around $700-800 for EVERYTHING (OS, monitor, etc.). So, yeah... what now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper
    I saw naked men
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I was a (...) receiver. I saw men naked in the shower, tackled them to the ground, got tackled, huddled together (...), wore tight clothing that accentuated the buttocks (...) There was man meat everywhere. (...) I hung around with a bunch of guys. Took showers with a bunch of them 5 days a week. (...) I crave the cock (...)

"The spirit of the warrior... will always be with you."

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a tip, in a computer related work, I find the benefits of laptop to be priceless. As you can carry your work around and do work 100% flawlessly anywhere without bothering with 'team software' or uploading/DLing or USB sticks etc.

I must say I did prefer my desktop for everything else though but portability alone makes it worth it as I truly hate organising and worrying about if I got the latest version here or left it at home or blah blah.

Anyway, they'll build you a beast in a couple of posts.
    Last edited by masteratt; 03-06-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's mainly going to be for gaming, web browsing, and photo/video editing. Nothing I'll need to do on the fly. For mobile computing needs, I'm gonna wipe my Toughbook and keep it as a netbook. I also have my iPad2.
    I saw naked men
    I was a (...) receiver. I saw men naked in the shower, tackled them to the ground, got tackled, huddled together (...), wore tight clothing that accentuated the buttocks (...) There was man meat everywhere. (...) I hung around with a bunch of guys. Took showers with a bunch of them 5 days a week. (...) I crave the cock (...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hm... just some short recommendations (as I am not 100% sure what US prices of hardware are, and I think Newegg navigates horribly).

I got an AMD 6870, which is rather cheap now and is quite capable. So a GPU around that corner should be enough for quite a while. Maybe an Nvidia 560 GPU (depending on your needs). CPU ... probably the i2500 or thereabouts. And get enough RAM, if you intend on really using After Effects for bigger stuff. 8GB should do the trick. Get a fast HDD, or an SDD and a cheaper HDD. Use the SDD for the system and applications only. Data then belongs onto the HDD. And get a good Mainboard for the processor, too... I've had my fair share of bad mainboards and always ran well with Asus, though they tend to be a bit more expensive than the others... times might've changed though. And get a GOOD PSU (never buy cheap/noname PSU, because if they break down they can take down your whole PC with it). I recently got an OCZ ModXStream, which is really nice (good efficiency and silent, plus a good price, too).

The last thing would probably be a good LCD. Don't cheap out on that, either, as a bad LCD is a) bad for your eyes) and b) bad for work. I have me for buying the laptop that I did, because it has a horrible LCD... for 50€ more I could've upgraded to 1080P and a good contrast. But nooooo.
    Kept you waiting

E-mpirial Plenipotentiary Viper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll jump on this later tonight or tomorrow morning.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

America, the Dr. will free you now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll jump on this later tonight or tomorrow morning.
    I saw naked men

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, anyone without kids who's not doing the jobs of 10+ people have time and know-how to help me out with this?
    I saw naked men

Post Thanks / Like
    Edit: Just realized you wanted to build it yourself... brb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aaaanyone else?
    I saw naked men

Post Thanks / Like
    Well at this point you might as well wait a a month or two as nvidia's new cards are about to drop and I think ivy bridge is coming soon as well. Which even if you dn't get them will effect the prices of the parts you are looking at.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.ascendtech.us/acer-v213h-...ent=pricewatch $120
    Monitor (1080p, LED backlit)

http://www.portatech.com/catalog/vie...41%2C70725&r=p $389
    CPU and motherboard, as well as Windows 7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3087823&SID= $55
    RAM

http://3btech.net/ocz60mopro60.html $78
    Power supply

http://3btech.net/chfcsblandsi.html $40
    case

http://3btech.net/cono12sostdr.html $100
    Solid state HDD

That will get you a pretty damn fast PC that isn't exactly optimized for gaming for $782 (it has a DX 10.1 level integrated GPU). If you want to get a good video card that can handle running the latest games at 1080p, you'll need to drop about $165 on a Radeon 6870. It's a good card, even though mine still chokes on 3DMark 11. It still does great in the few games I've ran with it. Even in 3D at 1080p, it still kept a very playable framerate with Metro 2033.
    Last edited by frosty; 03-22-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, frosty. I owe you an angry handy-j.

@Viper , anything you'd do different? (when you've got a minute)
    I saw naked men

Your Amicable Overlord D3adcell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not use an integrated video card, the only gaming you will be doing is browser based. I also wouldn't get a solid state drive yet. Unless you don't plan to have very much on your computer. They have small sizes and are very expensive for that small amount. For general use you would be better off getting a regular hdd and then later on buying a ssd if you need it.

If you want to go a little cheaper I would get an AMD processor like:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0375766 (139$)

and end up getting a nice video card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, since both GPU and SSD can easily be added or exchanged later on, either one is optional, depending disposable money. I have an older Phenom II at 3.0Ghz, and I can basically play any game there is with it... some are seriously CPU bound (especially the bad console ports like GTA4 or the Assassin's Creed series), though... It was very cheap (100€ at the time), but is not available anymore. I'd say the aformentioned AMD is a good upgrade. I also have got the 6870 Frosty mentioned. For the price you pay, it's pretty sweet. Not too good, but not bad either. It can easily run Crysis 1 and 2 at maxed out settings at 1080P, as well as Skyrim and other graphic intense games of today and the near future.
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I'd prefer something with a little more capacity than 128GB. Although my Toughbook, which I've been using for the last 6 years only has a 60GB HD. Somewhere around 200-300GB would be preferable. I think the idea of an SSD is neat, but I'm not married to it by any means.

Also, I don't know what an "integrated" video card is.
    I saw naked men

Post Thanks / Like
    Integrated video means the video is handled by the CPU instead of a dedicated graphics cards in one of the expansion slots.

I'm almost done with your build.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 - $189.99

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2H LGA 1155 - $69.99 ($10 MIR)

RAM: XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $48.99

GPU: Sapphire HD 6850 - $134.99 ($15 MIR)

HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 - $109.99

PSU: Corsair CX600 V2 600W - $69.99 ($20 MIR)

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower - $64.99

Monitor: ASUS 21.5" 1920x1080 HDMI - $139.99

Optical Drive: LG 24x DVD Burner - $17.99

Sub total - $846.91

MIR - $45.00

Total - $801.91

Unfortunately this doesn't come with the OS but those can be acquired by other means or you can use the Windows 8 Consumer Preview temporarily.

Keyboard and mouse will also be extra if you don't have those available.

3 points of cost reduction:
    A) I can switch to an AMD based CPU and save about $40.
    B) I can reduce the RAM from 8 GB to 4 GB and save about $30.
    C) I can reduce the HDD capacity from 1 TB to 500 GB and save about $25.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might switch to a cheaper case, too... though I am not sure how much money you can save on that, as this one is already not that expensive.

The rest is okay, I'd say... should be enough for most games on high/very high settings at 1080P. Future games might require a better GPU... but only in 1 or 3 years. And they are easily exchangeable, too.
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't plan on ever moving the case, you can buy a dirt cheap thin aluminum one, but if you're like me and take your desktop with you to gigs or whatever, then you'll need a higher quality case. I've torn through several cheap cases moving my desktop around.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's also about quality airflow, accessibility and aesthetics.

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad seems convinced that I can buy a package system, with OS, of equal or greater quality, for an equal or lesser price.
    I saw naked men

Thread Information