Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite music soundtracks in games

E-mpirial Plenipotentiary Viper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Few people played Chrono Cross is probably why. I know it takes some motifs from the Chrono Trigger soundtrack which is absolutely fantastic.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

America, the Dr. will free you now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just listening to the massively great intro music of GOW2...

Kept you waiting

Dragon of Dojima is Back! Diresu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Few people played Chrono Cross is probably why. I know it takes some motifs from the Chrono Trigger soundtrack which is absolutely fantastic.
    Same composer so no surprise. Yasunori Mitsuda & Uematsu are by far my favorite composers, their stuff is generally amazing. Chrono Cross is one of the first games where I would just put the controller down to listen to the music.
    Sapere Aude

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diresu View Post
    Same composer so no surprise. Yasunori Mitsuda & Uematsu are by far my favorite composers, their stuff is generally amazing. Chrono Cross is one of the first games where I would just put the controller down to listen to the music.
    The overworld music is one of the most soothing, serene tracks I've ever heard in a video game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diresu View Post
    I started doing that with a lot of SNES games. Mostly those I listed several posts up. Sadly, I don't do that for much game music these days.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

Post Thanks / Like
    - Tomb Raider series.
    - MGS series.
    - FF series.
    - Mass Effect series.
    - Assassins Creed series.
    - Halo series.
    - Deus Ex Human Revolution.
    - Castlevania Lords of Shadow.
    - Skyrim.
    - Journey.
    - Scott Pilgrim vs the world theme song tune. God this song is addictive!!!. I had it playing in my head for months when i was bored at work after i played the game.
    - Ave Maria at the end of Hitman Blood money with one of the coolest endings in a game ever I know this really shouldnt count but play the game and you will understand.

Theres tons more im forgetting but those above are probably amongst my favourites. In fact i mostly lsten to music in games these days. Everything else from bands to rap and anything else is so commercial these days that it seems the best stuff is in games anyway. Or maybe im just getting old because 99.9% of the shit radio stations play these days hurts my ears..

Post Thanks / Like
    Chrono Cross has an excellent soundtrack.

Other soundtracks I'm fond of:
    -Mass Effect 3 (despite abusing the damn BBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNN noise. CURSE YOU, INCEPTION!). ME2 also had some good tracks
    -Metal Gear Solid (the entire series)
    -Lost Odyssey
    -Streets of Rage II
    -Sonic Adventure 2
    -Dynasty Warriors 4
    -Guilty Gear XX
    -BlazBlue

Licensed music? Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, Jet Set Radio Future.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFVII has the best sound track by far IMO. It is unreal to put it simple.

Many games has decent music or even a song or two that are higher quality, but the games that have all it's music at a very high quality are rare. Then there's the games that have that one song or theme that is very good and/or very memorable. Many legendary melodies out ther made for games, even though the style of a "theme melody" seems to have gotten old now days. I personally think the sound tracks of FFs made by Uematsu are the best. MGS series have exceptionally good music as well. That's the two series that instantly comes to my mind, but there's plenty more obviously. To name two more resent series, Uncharted and Mass Effect have rather good music. It is always important for the sound track to match the atmosphere of the game or sometimes enhance it. This is where the older FF games have no equal.

EDIT: Talking about good theme songs... Does anyone remember the theme song of Wild Arms (the first one that is), the one that's in the opening cinematics? When did that game have it's release? I still sometimes whistle that melody... But then again I sometimes suddenly remember good or rather memorable game music themes from the late 80s or early 90s and whistle them as well lol.
    Last edited by Theo; 04-02-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This bit always gets me.

Probably not that great if you aren't tied to the franchise. But for any fan, it's iconic.

I took the time to listen to most of the stuff here, and came to conclusion I like almost all music.
    Last edited by masteratt; 04-14-2012 at 01:55 PM.

*madhouse's offical creepy old guy* Smokey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    just remembered the intro to 'MOTORSTORM' nearly gives me goose bumps lol

i Hate it when a game doesnt have a good intro
    Last edited by Smokey; 04-14-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    my PSN name is smokey777
    Originally posted julps31
    The truth. MGS has aged gracefully. MGS1 = MILF

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Game OST?

For me it'd have to be Sonic CD (US). I have a lot of game music I enjoy, but nothing that I just play all the way through the way I do Sonic CD's OST. I guess part of it is the nostalgia of being zapped back to 1993 each time I hear it, part of it could be the amazing Q-Sound recording (This is an OST best heard through a set of good headphones.), but it also has a lot to do with Spencer Nilsen being a musical genius who is capable of writing some amazingly complex yet simply catchy tunes. Using many layers of musical textures and vocal "scat" to create each composition, I often find myself getting lost deep into in each tune trying to pick apart the various aspects of their arrangement. It sucks me in and holds my attention, even though they're only 2-3 minute sound clips each. Not a lot of game music does that for me. I've listened to some of Spencer's other work (Batman Returns Sega CD and Ecco Sega CD), and while it is good it doesn't quite top Sonic CD.

The japanese soundtrack sounds aweful in comparison. The audio quality is way worse (more of an inorganic MIDI feel, and none of that Q-Sound goodness) and the compositions nowhere near as intricate. It has some catchy melodies, but the overall production value is not even in the same league as the US version.

I also enjoy Flower's soundtrack, kinda dig the PS3 OS menu music for blast factor, and a few more I can't remember off the top of my head. FF7 has some great ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Super Castlevania IV.

I can list several others that are also awesome but none have matched what this SNES music masterpiece has provided.

Neither enemy nor friend Otacon305's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ocarina of Time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper
    I saw naked men
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I was a (...) receiver. I saw men naked in the shower, tackled them to the ground, got tackled, huddled together (...), wore tight clothing that accentuated the buttocks (...) There was man meat everywhere. (...) I hung around with a bunch of guys. Took showers with a bunch of them 5 days a week. (...) I crave the cock (...)

"The spirit of the warrior... will always be with you."

Post Thanks / Like
    GTA: SA. I was very into hip-hop and that soundtrack was heaven. Also came at a perfect time where rap was at it's peak.

And despite the game boring me to tears, the orchestra bits in Skyrim were epic.

Hang on, we had a thread about this because I remember making a list......

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Here we go.
    http://e-mpire.com/showthread.php/12...racks-in-games

Merged.

Thread Information