Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Broken Age - Part 1 Jan 14

Hasa Diga Eebowai solidsnakejej's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the Live Stream, Ron Gilbert put a shoe on his head for a $100 donation

Post Thanks / Like
    Done.
    $3,335,265

Post Thanks / Like
    Edit: There was an extra $110k in premium donations from 3 people so around 3,445,000 total donations
    Days of Wonder group
    Rhiana Pratchett (PTerry's daughter)

Post Thanks / Like
    CEOs of game publishing companies worldwide are pounding their fists against their desks...

It enables a developer to release a few low budget hits that make a name for them, and then be able to pull off their own bigger budget games without having to sign any contracts.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's similar to what music the music industry is facing, though to a MUCH lesser degree. There won't be any Kickstarters financing games like Halo or Uncharted, in ever...

And for now, it's just this one. But I believe this will happen more often now. It's funny, because this way, piracy doesn't even matter^^ I mean, the game is paid for completely now^^
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    What Segitz said this is good for smaller projects.

Which Wasteland 2 seems to be the next big one, Sequel to a 1988 game which inspired the creations of Fallout 1 & 2.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, will definitely be donating to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone's forgetting about Minecraft again. That was fan-funded as well.

But jeez. Do you know how many small budget games you can make with $3.5M dollars?! I mean, if this money weren't for their fan's desire for an adventure game, they could just make a huge budget game with that money.
    [Do you like our articles? Do you like us? Want more? Share our articles on Twitter, Facebook, or any other social networking site with just a click of a button below. Clicking that really helps us out and shows your support for us.

Hey, you can even follow me on Twitter if you'd like (@Crazybone126) or follow the E-mpire homepage. If you don't have a Twitter, you probably have a Facebook. Visit the E-mpire Facebook page here.

If you want to play video games with me personally, add me on Xbox Live
    (Crazybone126) and Steam (ThaPr1meK1ng) to connect with me. Just tell me who you are.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the game has changed because of the amount of money they are getting and it went from a October 2012 title to releasing next year. And I think your mistaken on the fan's desire, this is also Double Fines desire along with Tim Schafer and Ron Gilber two who created the most well known adventure games back in the 90s.

I think will get similar quality games like Monkey Island which was $1.5 million or Grim Fandango which was $3 million in 1998. I'm sure their gonna deliver an amazing game.

Also one of the stipulation of Kickstarter is that all the money donated has to go to the project that was designated.

Post Thanks / Like
    EDIT: stupid slow tab surfing, meant for crazybone's post

Hmmm, don't reckon so. You'd need at least 15Mil won't you? And since you said 'huge budget', we are talking around 40mil. So, a bit off

I would like them to do a trilogy or something though with that extra money. Or episodes to call it more accurately. I don't know what it is, I don't usually like episodic content but when it come to PnC games I'm a fan of that model. I can't wait for that and I can't wait for Wasteland 2 AND I can't wait for SimCity5. A lot of exciting PC exclusives.

Steam and Kickstarter did a lot for PC gaming [well sc5 excluding]. But of course as a fan of extreme comfort and someone who doesn't have a good comfortable PC area setup (yet), it'll be nice if they used extra monies for console port.
    Last edited by masteratt; 03-14-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forbes article how they did it and they used the picture of Ron Gilbert with a shoe on his head. LOL

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...ncing-forever/

Also if you haven't notice there is a backers only video up on kickstarter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's add another one to that list.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...he-banner-saga

The Banner Saga, already funded in 2 days.
    PSN:venomlvjr

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm telling you... This is the start of something big. Publishers will get pushed out of the lower budget game market all together, and will end up focusing on the AAA big budget titles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting... this will result in much more interesting smaller games, too, I guess. No more fiddling around to make the publishers happy. And I am sure this will result in better games (not necessarily better sales, though).

It's up to Sony and MS etc. to make this happen, too... they can't force the small devs to buy 20k€ dev kits or make them pay x amount of money to even allow releases, etc...
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we need a Kickstarter thread to track all progresses in the first post with links so people can go the the thread, check first post and click anything they want to support. Maybe categorise it so it's music, movies etc too.

Anyway the reason I bring that up is it's becoming a much bigger movement now with Mr Fargo of Wastleland 2 formally going ahead with 'Kicking It Forward' a pledge that any funded project, puts 5% back into any Kickstarter project. This is a simple and amazing way to keep this thing rolling.

And if we could embed HTML code into our posts (I think it's an option), we can make it all nice with the widgets:

Last edited by masteratt; 03-23-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Segitz View Post
    Interesting... this will result in much more interesting smaller games, too, I guess. No more fiddling around to make the publishers happy. And I am sure this will result in better games (not necessarily better sales, though).

It's up to Sony and MS etc. to make this happen, too... they can't force the small devs to buy 20k€ dev kits or make them pay x amount of money to even allow releases, etc...
    If anything, sales would be great considering they're gaining the entire project's budget within just a couple days (aka a month early) and still receiving millions of dollars after their planned budgets were surpassed. Technically speaking, people have already bought the game. I'll actually be quite shocked if these games aren't dirt cheap. Simply because there's no reason for them to be otherwise. If you're budget was $400K, and you garner nearly 10x the budget of which you planned, I think you can cut the consumer some slack.

But I'll stay reasonable and say 300,000 units sold, but since this is Tim Schafer, sales would be much higher than that.
    Last edited by Crazybone126; 03-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    [Do you like our articles? Do you like us? Want more? Share our articles on Twitter, Facebook, or any other social networking site with just a click of a button below. Clicking that really helps us out and shows your support for us.

Hey, you can even follow me on Twitter if you'd like (@Crazybone126) or follow the E-mpire homepage. If you don't have a Twitter, you probably have a Facebook. Visit the E-mpire Facebook page here.

If you want to play video games with me personally, add me on Xbox Live
    (Crazybone126) and Steam (ThaPr1meK1ng) to connect with me. Just tell me who you are.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the budget has increased during the process. Schafer has already said that the budget of the game will be set after they calculated how much the prizes will cost and film cost. I'd expect a $2.2 - $2.5 million budget for this game. We already know the game development has already be extended into next year.

It's likely will sale for $15 since that is what gets you the game in Kickstarter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Final budget numbers are up in the forums, total budget for the game is : $2,232,465

Post Thanks / Like
    First Episode up on Kickstarter page, 21 mins long.

That was fantastic, I can tell from this that it's gonna be a wonderful ride watching these monthly.

Post Thanks / Like
    New Bonus video is up for backers on the forums about Tim's old adventure games
    http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6764/

Thread Information