Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who Killed Rare Studios?

Post Thanks / Like
    Two known titles that never got the chance to happen after the departure of Rare from Nintendo to Microsoft.

[Do you like our articles? Do you like us? Want more? Share our articles on Twitter, Facebook, or any other social networking site with just a click of a button below. Clicking that really helps us out and shows your support for us.

Hey, you can even follow me on Twitter if you'd like (@Crazybone126) or follow the E-mpire homepage. If you don't have a Twitter, you probably have a Facebook. Visit the E-mpire Facebook page here.

If you want to play video games with me personally, add me on Xbox Live
    (Crazybone126) and Steam (ThaPr1meK1ng) to connect with me. Just tell me who you are.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Banjo-Threeie never getting a chance is a shame, especially given the abomination that appeared on the 360. Donkey Kong Racing... meh.
    "A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action." (Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross)

My stories, Coercion, and Avarice, and Conduit available for the Kindle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having never played the Banjo games, what would be the closest game today? Ratchet? Jak? Mario?
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably a mixture of all of those. A little less Ratchet though, but there's definitely some elements in there.
    [Do you like our articles? Do you like us? Want more? Share our articles on Twitter, Facebook, or any other social networking site with just a click of a button below. Clicking that really helps us out and shows your support for us.

Hey, you can even follow me on Twitter if you'd like (@Crazybone126) or follow the E-mpire homepage. If you don't have a Twitter, you probably have a Facebook. Visit the E-mpire Facebook page here.

(Crazybone126) and Steam (ThaPr1meK1ng) to connect with me. Just tell me who you are.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Its closest to Mario 64 and those games, but it has a stronger emphasis on exploration between worlds.
    "A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action." (Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross)

Post Thanks / Like
    I want another conker's bad fur day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha THAT'S not happening.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the strangest transformations ever for a game. Went from being cute and cuddly in 1997 to raunchy and nasty when it finally came out in 2001 after three years of delays. And thank God it did.

E-mpirial Plenipotentiary Viper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro A. View Post
    One of the strangest transformations ever for a game. Went from being cute and cuddly in 1997 to raunchy and nasty when it finally came out in 2001 after three years of delays. And thank God it did.
    Agreed.

As it originally was, it may have turned out to still be a good game. After all, this is a platfomer from Rare we are talking about. But the changes simply gave it a style and humor no other platformer had (has?). And I'm sure the extra years worth of development didn't hurt when it came to polishing the gameplay and graphics.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

America, the Dr. will free you now.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a game that pushed the n64 to it's limits on every front. It also was one of the first uses of MP3 audio in game, which allowed for plenty of speech and high quality music to fit onto that little cart. Multiplayer was awesome as well, and the story mode was hilarious.

I've never had as much fun lobbing rolls of toilet paper at a giant opera singing pile of shit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Orchid and I still sing that song every now and then.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

Post Thanks / Like
    give me a jet force gemini and please don't fuck it up
    Teh Flocke of D.I.C.K's Timekeeper!i!i!i

Argueing over the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you are still fucking retarded

SHE HAS A PENIS!?- Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_ess View Post
    give me a jet force gemini and please don't fuck it up
    From Rare? That's just not going to happen.

My understanding is that not a single person from N64 days are still among the current staff. None.

I know a lot of people say it is sad what EA has done to certain studios post-acquisition but I think the post-acquisition of Rare to MS may be the saddest story in video game history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, and the former staff members have told some of the saddest stories ever.

Neither enemy nor friend Otacon305's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not surprisingly, I blame Nintendo for killing Rare. First they stood by while MS bought 51% of them, then they sold the remaining 49% that they owned. They didn't even have to buy Rare out to save them. They could've just bought majority, and preserved the company and it's great contributions. Of course, this was around the time Nintendo decided instead of growing with their audience and the industry, they were going to run in the other direction, appealing to younger people and non-gamers with no standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper
    I saw naked men
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I was a (...) receiver. I saw men naked in the shower, tackled them to the ground, got tackled, huddled together (...), wore tight clothing that accentuated the buttocks (...) There was man meat everywhere. (...) I hung around with a bunch of guys. Took showers with a bunch of them 5 days a week. (...) I crave the cock (...)

"The spirit of the warrior... will always be with you."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Otacon305 View Post
    Not surprisingly, I blame Nintendo for killing Rare. First they stood by while MS bought 51% of them, then they sold the remaining 49% that they owned. They didn't even have to buy Rare out to save them. They could've just bought majority, and preserved the company and it's great contributions. Of course, this was around the time Nintendo decided instead of growing with their audience and the industry, they were going to run in the other direction, appealing to younger people and non-gamers with no standards.
    Me thinks you have something backwards.

You have a few facts wrong.

Nintendo did offer to buyout the remaining 51%...twice. But Rare wanted a higher rate. Nintendo noticed that Rare's unit sales contribution had dropped to just 1.5% of total annual sales, their upcoming product schedule was practically dead and that most of the key staff had departed so they never re-upped their offer. Activision came at them first and that deal fell through so MS took a shot at it. And Nintendo sold their 49% back to Rare BEFORE Microsoft bought a single share of which they then purchased all 100% at once for $377 million.

But of course, all you want to do is berate Nintendo any way you can so I shouldn't expect you to have the facts right.

Neither enemy nor friend Otacon305's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't like my facts, take it up with Wikipedia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper
    I saw naked men
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    I was a (...) receiver. I saw men naked in the shower, tackled them to the ground, got tackled, huddled together (...), wore tight clothing that accentuated the buttocks (...) There was man meat everywhere. (...) I hung around with a bunch of guys. Took showers with a bunch of them 5 days a week. (...) I crave the cock (...)

"The spirit of the warrior... will always be with you."

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know how often I have to change stuff on Wikipedia? Not just Nintendo stuff but all video games and other subjects too. If you are going to cite Wikipedia, check to make sure it's referenced. And even then it can be wrong. Notice that Wikipedia has your info referenced to numbers 10 and 11 but if you click those sources they say absolutely nothing of how the sale went down. I've removed that portion of the Wiki entry for now. I'll replace it later with a cited source with the actual details.

I will have the penne alla arrabiata TimmyJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybone126
    No offense to you, but the way you reacted kind of makes you seem like you have some sort of vendetta against Nintendo. And as you know, this isn't the first time I've said something similar on that subject.
    From the guy who just said "Nintendo's PlayStation" when it was Sony making the best of Nintendo's poor decision not to follow through with it.

Anyway, good article, I never realised how many great games Rare created. I only ever played Donkey Kong Country, but I've played bits and bobs of the others.

And @Segitz : there's one SNES game that you definitely missed out on - although your dislike for 2D games may well render this untrue - and that's Super Metroid. It did something that no other game of its generation really achieved: created an atmosphere. That's damned impressive for a sidescroller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Izzard - Dress To Kill
    Thank you for flying Church of England, cake or death?

You don't eat pigs, we don't eat pigs,
    It seems it's been that way forever.
    So if you don't eat pigs and we don't eat pigs,
    Why not not eat pigs together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... as I said. I had Turrican on Amiga, which was more or less a clone of Metroid. So yeah. I still think it's "arrogant" to tell me I missed out, when neither of "you" (no specific person here) hasn't played Oil Imperium or Ports of Call on Amiga.
    Kept you waiting

Thread Information