Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ONLY ON PSN - Exclusive content online program, includes PS2 games

Post Thanks / Like

ONLY ON PSN - Exclusive content online program, includes PS2 games

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/s...n-psn-program/

Sony is continuing to take the initiative to bolster its PlayStation Network following the disastrous hack earlier this year. Not only did Sony add another $20 million this summer to a Pub Fund it started a couple years ago, but today the company announced a new "Only On PlayStation Network" program to stress its flow of exclusive gaming content.

Starting on October 4, every Tuesday in the month will see several new exclusives on PSN, including Pub Fund titles like Eufloria and Okabu, as well as inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood and PixelJunk Sidescroller. And the program will also feature a selection of "rare classic games" added to the store on October 4, including God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red.

Consumers who are PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive a 20% discount during the launch week of each “Only On PSN” game. On top of that, if you spend $60 or more out of your PlayStation Network/Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) Wallet throughout the month of October, you'll be able to receive a $10 store credit towards purchases in November. This promotion isn't limited to just games - spending can be on add-ons, PlayStation Home micro-transactions, TV shows, movies, Music Unlimited subscriptions, etc.

“‘Only On PlayStation Network’ is our line of great exclusive games that users can count on to deliver exciting game experiences that can’t be found anywhere else,” said Susan Panico, senior director of PlayStation Network, SCEA. “This strong initial content offering, combined with the day one discounts for PlayStation Plus subscribers and the ‘Spend $60, Get $10 Back’ promotion, makes PlayStation Network the premier destination for digital content.”

The lineup in the program is as follows: October 4 - Eufloria and Rochard; October 11 - Sideway: New York; October 13 - Sodium Collection; October 18 - Okabu and RocketBirds; October 25 - inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood and PixelJunk Sidescroller.

IndustryGamers spoke with Susan Panico about the program and Sony's continued push for exclusives. We'll be bringing you that soon.

Now, RUMOR info:

Quote Originally Posted by awwyeahgurrl
    About time they announced this. So sony have been working on this for a while now, they just finished with their QA testing in Liverpool 2 weeks ago. Here's basically what I know:

• No remastering, just smoothing/screen size options like PS1 emulation.
    • Not all games are supported, shadow of memories & Hitman 2 are examples of games that just didn't work and they don't plan to try and get them to work. They also seem to be covering a huge list of games even fairly unknown games like The Seed: warzone.
    • No button remapping options, like PS1 emulation, for now.
    • No trophies or anything along those lines.

Apart from that everything should be what people are expecting. There doesn't seem to be any bells and whistles on it, it's straight up PS2 emulation.
    I'll try and get a more robust lineup of games that were tested in the offices just so everyone can get a feel for what to expect. I know MGS2, DQ8, crimson tears, Castlevania (not sure which one) were all games that popped up.

My friend told me one of the other testers asked him if he knew what castlevania was and it "looked too anime for him"
    They played on BC PS3's. The game was on the hard drive, after the game was finished they tested again with a PS2 disk to see if there were any differences between it and the PS3 version. I think it's more than safe to assume that it will be locked to DD releases only.
    I guess this is also related to that mysterious advert they released a couple weeks ago. We'll see soon enough.
    Last edited by Luis; 10-03-2011 at 11:37 AM.

I will have the penne alla arrabiata TimmyJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So now that PS2 remasters have proven popular and profitable, Sony are implementing software b/c...

I definitely appreciate it if it's true, I've still got a shit load of PS2 games that I'd like the option of playing.

I can imagine Sony wanting to get a feature like this working for the PSVita and, ultimately, the PS Suite - having the entirety of the PS1 and PS2 catalogues available on a handheld, almost from launch, is a pretty good selling point. Maybe that's why it's releasing later in Europe and the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Izzard - Dress To Kill
    Thank you for flying Church of England, cake or death?

You don't eat pigs, we don't eat pigs,
    It seems it's been that way forever.
    So if you don't eat pigs and we don't eat pigs,
    Why not not eat pigs together?

Dragon of Dojima is Back! Diresu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds fucking awesome to me. About time too.
    Sapere Aude

Longing for Times Passed OmniStalgic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bout time Sony...

Just about to get rid of my entire PS2 collection now...
    “Had the religion of Christianity been preserved according to the ordinances of the Founder, the state and commonwealth of Christendom would have been far more united and happy than they are. Nor can there be a greater proof of its decadence than the fact that the nearer people are to the Church, the head of their religion, the less religious are they.”
    "By their Fruits, you will recognize them..."

Hasa Diga Eebowai solidsnakejej's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems the PS2 games will be $9.99
    http://www.destructoid.com/psn-promo...e-212813.phtml

Also
    UPDATE: We've had the following statement from Sony: "The Only On PlayStation Network programme is for the SCEA region only. However, we will be bringing the majority of the content to the SCEE audience, including classic PS2 titles. We have numerous exciting offers that we will be introducing to PSN users throughout our region in the lead up to Christmas and look forward to sharing these with you."
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    I guess this is also related to that mysterious advert they released a couple weeks ago. We'll see soon enough.
    Not likely, this starts the 4th while the ad was hyping something on the 5th and they had FF13 which wouldn't be a only on PSN title

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyJ View Post
    So now that PS2 remasters have proven popular and profitable, Sony are implementing software b/c...
    I don't think they're really implementing it. It's probably more like they did work seriously on PS2 BC back in the day before someone thought about PS2 remasters and generally abandoned progress on traditional BC beyond PS3 systems with PS2 hardware. I'd say they're just going to release those games they worked on that do run reasonably well, so that their work doesn't go to waste as it was mostly already done anyway.

That said, we'll see whether it only applies to BC PS3s or not. But it does sound like they'll run on any system, and maybe even on Vita.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to confirm the PS2 games are Emulated and,

These won't pack PSN Trophies or enhanced visuals. These are the games as they appeared on the PS2.
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1197848p1.html

<-MAG Platinum Picture :) Bsack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So they axe backward compatibility on PS3 models knowing the majority of consumers will purchase the system with bigger HDD's just to rerelease these games on the PSN marketplace a few years later and charge people for them? That's why I'm glad I didn't adopt the new PS3 (even though I was tempted) and stuck with old faithful because what I say about this program is they can shove it for trying to thieve people of their hard earned money.

Am I alone on this one?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it's not exactly what happened.

Sony has been trying to make software emulation for PS2 game for PS3 but it's not powerful enough and a lot of games do not work well with it. Instead of going through the hassle of releasing an incomplete BC they are allowing people to purchase the ones that work. They were going to do this eventually anyways likely with the start of the PS4 life they are just getting an early start.

<-MAG Platinum Picture :) Bsack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm glad I can still go onto Ebay and get these PS2 games off of Ebay or even Gamestop for pennies on the dollar. If you guys don't feel ripped more power to ya, but I'll definitely not support it. If they were HD updates with all the trophy perks and etc, then I'd feel much better about this program since it's not it's criminal that's my opinion though.

On a Magic School Bus OG_Monkey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    would rather have remasters after being spoiled by so many now
    Check out my YouTube Channel and Other Pages:

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think I'll ever buy anymore PS2 games that I never owned, but I can see there has to be a market for old games just like there is one for PS1 titles. I did rebuy digital copies of Final Fantasy games, MGS1 and Resident Evil 2 simply because it's a lot more convenient to revisit them on PSP or PS3. Also, I get English NTSC versions instead of the Spanish PAL ones I already have, which feature technical differences as well as the original language, of course.

I don't think I'll rebuy digital copies of good ol' PS2 games though. I do love some of the remasters (God of War collection, Team ICO Collection) and I need the MGS HD games, but I don't see myself getting digital copies of any title I already own if they don't feature any enhancement. It's either too soon to revisit them or maybe I got past the PS2 era, as much as I loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Bsack ; If the games are only $9.99, then no, I don' feel ripped off at all. My old PS3 just died on me a few months ago, you know how many PS2 titles I played on it? 2

I'd much rather play HD remasters of games as older PS2 titles don't look so good on HD displays. So likely, I would only buy some of my favorite favorite titles in this program which are only a handful and wait n see for more of my PS2 library to get remastered like God of War and Ico/SotC.

This increases PSN's appeal by quite a bit, offers exclusive content every update, and gives PS3 owners a chance to get titles from what many consider the best console ever released. (PS2 vs. SNES would be a good thread) Addionally, if the PS2 titles can run on Vita, the smaller screen would enhance these games and would probably look much better than playing on a HD screen without the games being touched up.

So, for PS3 owners, I think this a great deal, $10 a game is still not a lot of money and most would likely only purchase favorites. For Vita owners this might be a bit of a selling point.
    Last edited by OmniStalgic; 10-03-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    “Had the religion of Christianity been preserved according to the ordinances of the Founder, the state and commonwealth of Christendom would have been far more united and happy than they are. Nor can there be a greater proof of its decadence than the fact that the nearer people are to the Church, the head of their religion, the less religious are they.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsack View Post
    Well I'm glad I can still go onto Ebay and get these PS2 games off of Ebay or even Gamestop for pennies on the dollar. If you guys don't feel ripped more power to ya, but I'll definitely not support it. If they were HD updates with all the trophy perks and etc, then I'd feel much better about this program since it's not it's criminal that's my opinion though.
    Id rather pay a little more to get something I know works (and all the way through, I've had used games that work fine until half way into them) and I won't have to pay shipping for. Not to mention they hopefully will release games that are hard to find now, Suikoden V for instance, it looks like you would likely play a lot more then $10 for that on ebay and again it could stop working half way through the game and you may not know that for a while.

I have a launch PS3 and will probably be getting Odin Sphere, never had a chance to play it.
    Last edited by venomv; 10-03-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    PSN:venomlvjr

Post Thanks / Like
    ^you won't regret it, Odin's Sphere is one of those rare titles that seem like they were made for HD displays. It looks fantastic! Great art work, and a cool story as well...Even have both English and Japanese voice overs.

and yeah, great point on the cheap disc based games. I bought Chrono Cross online used from EB games and when I got to the second disc is stopped working

Not being able to complete an RPG 30+hours in is not a good time in your life lol...Digital versions are backed up by PSN even if your HDD crashes or somehow loses its data. It's just a good thing to do all-around even without the HD treatment.
    Last edited by OmniStalgic; 10-03-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i told you it was possible. i don't see this as a good thing though. it could mean less HD remakes

Post Thanks / Like
    This is basically akin to PSOne classics, who didn't see PSTwo classics coming? I don't understand the problem, the only people who should have a problem are the current owners of these games which aren't many considering there rare games. The rumored $10 cost is less than what the games go for on Ebay and around the same price as Gamestop pre-owned games except for two.

If next gen comes around and there is no software BC for PS2 games that allows you to play the disc versions then it's a rip off.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm willing to bet that the Vita will run these too

Dragon of Dojima is Back! Diresu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally love this. I have a massive PS2 collection and would love to own digital versions just to be safe, and to add some of the rarer games that I don't have yet.
    Sapere Aude

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to say... I wouldn't get my hopes up, though... it took them long enough to figure it out on PS3 (where open source emulators have been a while, but at an abysmal speed).
    Kept you waiting

Thread Information