Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Sony's New Split Screen Tech Could Revolutionize Gaming & Beyond

Post Thanks / Like

How Sony's New Split Screen Tech Could Revolutionize Gaming & Beyond

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome idea, all hail Sony!

(i won't use it though, not enough spltiscreen games and it'll probably require lots of stuff..note: 1 accessory = lots of stuff in my books).

Post Thanks / Like
    it requires the glasses and a 3dtv, that's it.

Post Thanks / Like
    honesty... who is the fucking man!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even mind the glasses that much, but the whole damn proposition is too pricey for now.

There's a special kind of nerd though, who thinks computers will overtake mankind in thirty years, changing humanity in ways incomprehensible to us now, ignoring the third of the world without electricity. It gives spiritual significance to technology developed primarily for entertainment and warfare and gives nerds something to obsess over that isn't the crushing vacuousness of their lives.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ like any new tech it will be at first. remeber when HDTVs first came out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxmkii View Post
    ^ like any new tech it will be at first. remeber when HDTVs first came out?
    Nobody wants to wait 6 years for the price of a $7,000+ television to go down, considering there will probably be new consoles out by then. Sony thinks far too long term sometimes, the technology is cool and all, but in this day and age the price point for just a 3DTV alone is just far too much for the average consumer. You're not going to be seeing many 3DTVs significantly moved off the shelves anytime soon, if ever.

And come on Frosty. "it requires the glasses and a 3dtv, that's it." You're saying "that's it" as if the average American consumer will be able to afford the 3DTV alone. I'm not expecting 3DTVs to be affordable until 2013-2015, and that's if 3D even catches on (considering it's an entirely new market and technology). I'm already picturing Sony putting themselves behind in the next generation. While Microsoft and Nintendo are showing off their next home consoles and Nintendo showing off new tech in "glassless" 3D, Sony's still trying to play "catch-up" and still shelling out all this 3D gaming stuff for an already old home console. Putting themselves behind two generations consecutively. Then Sony is going to blame Nintendo for not marketing 3D as a whole and blame them for why they are behind, then all hell is going to break lose between the two companies (as it usually does).

I'll be what I will be Lucent Beam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds really really cool, but again, I am not made out of money so I'll be left out of this one for probably as long as I was left out of having an HDTV at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    i posted this news up first!!! damn you

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll wait patiently. No HDTV here. Waiting for the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    And come on Frosty. "it requires the glasses and a 3dtv, that's it." You're saying "that's it" as if the average American consumer will be able to afford the 3DTV alone. I'm not expecting 3DTVs to be affordable until 2013-2015, and that's if 3D even catches on (considering it's an entirely new market and technology).
    3dtv's do not cost $7,000. I don't know what rock you've been hiding under, but you can get one for a few hundred more than you would pick up an average HD set if you just look around. Here's a 50 incher for $1699., and a 46 incher for $1400.
    Last edited by frosty; 07-27-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybone126 View Post
    Nobody wants to wait 6 years for the price of a $7,000+ television to go down, considering there will probably be new consoles out by then. Sony thinks far too long term sometimes, the technology is cool and all, but in this day and age the price point for just a 3DTV alone is just far too much for the average consumer. You're not going to be seeing many 3DTVs significantly moved off the shelves anytime soon, if ever.

And come on Frosty. "it requires the glasses and a 3dtv, that's it." You're saying "that's it" as if the average American consumer will be able to afford the 3DTV alone. I'm not expecting 3DTVs to be affordable until 2013-2015, and that's if 3D even catches on (considering it's an entirely new market and technology). I'm already picturing Sony putting themselves behind in the next generation. While Microsoft and Nintendo are showing off their next home consoles and Nintendo showing off new tech in "glassless" 3D, Sony's still trying to play "catch-up" and still shelling out all this 3D gaming stuff for an already old home console. Putting themselves behind two generations consecutively. Then Sony is going to blame Nintendo for not marketing 3D as a whole and blame them for why they are behind, then all hell is going to break lose between the two companies (as it usually does).
    It's not even that bad right now. Samsung has 50+ inch 3D LCD TV's that are like 2299 at my local Best Buy. Granted, that's not cheap, but it's no where near the 6000+ that HDTV's first cost. And that's for their flagship TV.

Le Cabalry: Dwhittenempire, goku2057, Milly, Zac, Alias, Colin™, Spatula, mysterio, Nathan, C.J., Resident Darkness

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    3dtv's do not cost $7,000. I don't know what rock you've been hiding under, but you can get one for a few hundred more than you would pick up an average HD set if you just look around. Here's a 50 incher for $1699., and a 46 incher for $1400.
    $1700 wow that is much cheaper than the average $700 cost for a 50' now!

Longing for Times Passed OmniStalgic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting...I won't be anywhere near an earlier adopter on this one though. I won't jump into 3D until its certified awesome...

playing the bandwagon game on this
    “Had the religion of Christianity been preserved according to the ordinances of the Founder, the state and commonwealth of Christendom would have been far more united and happy than they are. Nor can there be a greater proof of its decadence than the fact that the nearer people are to the Church, the head of their religion, the less religious are they.”
    "By their Fruits, you will recognize them..."

Post Thanks / Like
    They just spent the last 5 years getting the HDTV market established. Now it's like they're in a hurry to move that along. I smell an over-saturation of the market looming over the horizon.

There's a special kind of nerd though, who thinks computers will overtake mankind in thirty years, changing humanity in ways incomprehensible to us now, ignoring the third of the world without electricity. It gives spiritual significance to technology developed primarily for entertainment and warfare and gives nerds something to obsess over that isn't the crushing vacuousness of their lives.

Post Thanks / Like
    What you don't realize is, HDTV and 3DTV are cross compatible, so there won't really be a way to oversaturate anything since they'll just phase out the HDTV's in favor of HDTV's with 3D capabilities. both will always have their market, since even people with 3DTV's will not want to wear the glasses just to watch the news or the latest episode of family guy, and 3DTV will fit into it's niche of more involved content like (some) movies and video games.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure but in order to sell 3DTV, they aren't gonna have commercials that say, 'WATCH TV IN 3D! ...Or not, it's whatever.' They're gonna try to ram it down our throats. Which will frustrate people who just dropped 3100 bucks on a fat ass LED LCD tv.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    not to mention that, Hollywood is making sure this says fad all over it. RE or Piranha 3D anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's kinda the way any new tech is though. Look at the cell phone and computer markets. people have no problem dropping $2000 on a new mac every 3-4 years, but bitch when a new TV tech comes along. Those folks that just dropped that cash on those nice LED tv's, how do you think I feel when I look at my TV that cost nearly as much with an inferior contrast ratio, which i had bought not that long ago? it happens. something bigger and better always comes along. just like they're ramming 600hz tv's with perfect black contrast ratios down our throats now, they're going to begin to do with 3d, then another new tech that allows for 4 different viewers to watch their own crap at once instead of 2, then 8, then whatever other gimmick they can shove into it, all released in yearly increments. it's just the way the game is played.

back in the day of sdtv, tv was tv. all the same resolution, all the same aspect ratio, same color gamut... but now that we've gone digital and into a more open standard, that has changed and taken the market which once barely changed at all into the same area as computers and other such digital devices which see upgrades on a regular basis.
    Last edited by frosty; 07-28-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a 52 Inch Samsung LCD TV just about a year ago. I paid 1700 bucks and retail on it was 2299. LED TVs were 3599 for what I wanted. Now for the same Price I paid I could get a 3D LED TV.

Le Cabalry: Dwhittenempire, goku2057, Milly, Zac, Alias, Colin™, Spatula, mysterio, Nathan, C.J., Resident Darkness

Thread Information