Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy

Dragon of Dojima is Back! Diresu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is I don't think they know how to recreate that success. Maybe they can't? Could be like the Sonic Team trying to bring Sonic 2d to 3D (impossible/improbable)? That or maybe the japanese audience loves ff13 and they don't hear the same criticism that we're pointing out because the japanese are use to that culture that we criticize (emo, gel hair, backstreet boys)?
    They might not know because let's face it...most of their talent left because of the direction Wada was taking the company. I would argue though that they SHOULD know because their core fans have been vocal. Instead, they try to cater to the west..just look at Front Mission, 3rd birthday, Crisis Core, Nier,FF12, and FF13 for proof of that. I can also tell you for a fact that Japan HATED ff13. Infact, they were a LOT more vocal about the changes made in that game than gamers here. SE fucked up because they took their cues from CAPCOM and tried to do what they did. I can't say it enough, make the game you want to make as a developer and it will cross audiences. Make a game you THINK people want...and it will fail 9 out of 10 times.
    Sapere Aude

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Diresu View Post
    They might not know because let's face it...most of their talent left because of the direction Wada was taking the company. I would argue though that they SHOULD know because their core fans have been vocal. Instead, they try to cater to the west..just look at Front Mission, 3rd birthday, Crisis Core, Nier,FF12, and FF13 for proof of that. I can also tell you for a fact that Japan HATED ff13. Infact, they were a LOT more vocal about the changes made in that game than gamers here. SE fucked up because they took their cues from CAPCOM and tried to do what they did. I can't say it enough, make the game you want to make as a developer and it will cross audiences. Make a game you THINK people want...and it will fail 9 out of 10 times.
    FFXII was not an attempt to cater to the west, more of a mixture of Matsuno's writing and Akihiko Yoshida's character designs which tend to be much more medieval fantasy, it was the best FF on the PS2 and would have been even better had they not fucking forced the team to change the protagonist from Balthier to Vaan, not to mention forcing Matsuno out in the middle of development.

Maybe they didn't realize Capcom has long been creatively bankrupt and their best game directors have all left, Capcom set a really bad precedent when they decided to whore themselves out with their so-called "western" content, their timing of Dead Rising and Lost Planet, two middle of the road IPs at best, on the 360 was just about perfect at the time, and lighting simply isn't going to strike twice, Japanese developers saw Capcom's success and wanted to repeat it, but even Capcom wouldn't be able to repeat. The problem is all SE wants to do is milk the success of FFVII but that is no longer a winning formula. SE has alienated their playstation userbase in Japan early on and they simply haven't built a solid base of fans to support their games, and of course they're going to be desperate to whore themselves out to the western audience, they're literally flailing about these days.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    This and the catastrophe called FFXIV.

Longing for Times Passed OmniStalgic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    FFXll could've been the best FF game on PS2, but yeah, Vaan as the protagonist was just awful. It never really felt like I was important in the events happening around me, like that cast was separate from the bigger picture. Awesome battle system, great art, lovely style, great music, enemies on the field and no different engine for battles, full control over your character during battle--everything was perfect--except the story I got close to the end and was maybe in the mid 70's level wise--and then just gave up because I didn't care what happened in the end--FFXll cut me deep

FF9 was great, but once again, the protagonist was kinda lame. Zidane's was arguably one of the weaker characters in the party, and was out shined in his battles by Vivi and Steiner--yet was integral to the story...I felt they could've made him stronger, and a bigger impact in the fights especially when Vivi and Steiner leveled up--they were wreaking havoc. I get Zidan'e role was the agile/nimble member of the party, but his abilities were just lame Tidus was the agile/nimble character in FFX but still was the center piece of your battles most of the time. I did finish it though, and I loved Kuja was pretty cool, I never did get the extended ending.
    Last edited by OmniStalgic; 01-21-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    “Had the religion of Christianity been preserved according to the ordinances of the Founder, the state and commonwealth of Christendom would have been far more united and happy than they are. Nor can there be a greater proof of its decadence than the fact that the nearer people are to the Church, the head of their religion, the less religious are they.”
    "By their Fruits, you will recognize them..."

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to ask you guys a controversial question. What exactly was so bad about FFX-2? I thought the battle system was great, the dress sphere system was fantastic and the 100% story ending was kick ass. Granted the game was a bit too pop culture like and the characters were goofy but the side quests were great fun and i had some Epic boss battles especially in the Labrynths under Bevelle.

So why am i the only person on this planet who doesnt think it was the worst FF game ever. Hell i almost fell asleep in FFXII like Omni because the story was so boring. I actually had more fun in FFX-2 than in FFXII. Granted im not saying FFX-2 was better than previous games in the series before it but it was better than FFXII and FFXIII.

So what was the problem? Maybe because there wasnt a male character in your combat party?

On a Magic School Bus OG_Monkey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just hated that:

-I was stuck with the 2 characters I hated the most throughout the game.
    -Still didn't answer just what the heck happened to Tidus (or maybe I missed it? Was oh so young )
    -I didn't really dig the dress spheres. Gooood I hated those dress spheres.
    -It had introduced that active battle mode or whatever. FFX was my first game and to my understanding was the first to do the turn based system I think?

I mean don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the game, just no where as much as I did FFX though. Hell, I remember being so pissed off at my day 1 purchase and money spent. Coming across $50 back then was like striking the lottery for me. Even traded the game back in. I guess it was just more of not it being what I expected rather then it being a bad game?...naaaaah it was a bad game. Screw it I dunno
    Check out my YouTube Channel and Other Pages:

Hardcore Next-gen Gamer! Nameless's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm the only one around here that enjoyed both FFXII & FFXIII...
    I would not consider myself a FF purist, because the only other FF title I completed was FFVII.

I personally enjoyed the story of FFXII better than FFXIII, but I do agree that Vaan was kind of lame.
    The only lead character that was good in my opinion was cloud and the guy from FFX & Lightning...

I'm looking forward to FFXIII-2 and hope the game is less linear with the same production value as FFXII.
    Also, it's crazy how long development has take for versus, but hopefully it equates to a complete polished product...

Post Thanks / Like
    I liked XII and XIII. XII, I think, is the superior game, but XIII is certainly better than most of the mainline games that have come out for the series over the years. I don't know why they're doing XIII-2 apart from making money. X-2 was made for the same reason and it was a piece of junk. Granted, so was FFX. So maybe FFXIII-2 will be a slightly smaller piece of junk since the baseline it's working off of was pretty decent.
    "A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action." (Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross)

My stories, Coercion, and Avarice, and Conduit available for the Kindle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC!D View Post
    I would like to ask you guys a controversial question. What exactly was so bad about FFX-2? I thought the battle system was great, the dress sphere system was fantastic and the 100% story ending was kick ass. Granted the game was a bit too pop culture like and the characters were goofy but the side quests were great fun and i had some Epic boss battles especially in the Labrynths under Bevelle.

So why am i the only person on this planet who doesnt think it was the worst FF game ever. Hell i almost fell asleep in FFXII like Omni because the story was so boring. I actually had more fun in FFX-2 than in FFXII. Granted im not saying FFX-2 was better than previous games in the series before it but it was better than FFXII and FFXIII.

So what was the problem? Maybe because there wasnt a male character in your combat party?
    I actually really liked FFX-2. I did think the POP group thing was kind of annoying but the rest of the game was solid. I liked X2 better than 12 and 13, easily.
    Sapere Aude

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OG_Monkey View Post

-Still didn't answer just what the heck happened to Tidus (or maybe I missed it? Was oh so young )

I mean don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the game, just no where as much as I did FFX though. Hell, I remember being so pissed off at my day 1 purchase and money spent. Coming across $50 back then was like striking the lottery for me. Even traded the game back in. I guess it was just more of not it being what I expected rather then it being a bad game?...naaaaah it was a bad game. Screw it I dunno
    Tidus was a small part of a dream ( Zanarkand ) created by Yevon and kept alive through Sin which basically is Yevon. When sin was destroyed the dream ended therefore Tidus ceased to exist anymore. In FX-2 there are i think 5 different endings. To get Yuna and Tidus reunited you have to get the ultimate ending which is 100% completion in the game. Most ppl got between 60 - 70% of the game complete and missed out on the best 30% in my opinion with some damn challenging bosses and side stories about the characters some ppl didnt like. Their side stories might give you a deeper understanding of why characters like Paine are the way they are.

Anyways long story short if you want to see the 100% completion ending just check it out on YouTube:

The "perfect" ending has one extra scene in the ruins of Zanarkand. Tidus tells Yuna his theory that the fayth gathered his "thoughts" and "brought him back". It seems he isn't disappearing anytime soon. The very last image of the ending has Yuna standing in the exact same spot (and with the same camera view) as Tidus did in the very first image of FFX.
    For those that are interested heres a site that did a nice little summary linking the events before FFX during FFX and FFX2.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/ff10story.shtml

A fantastic story and the best FF game ever FFX

Quote Originally Posted by Diresu View Post
    I actually really liked FFX-2. I did think the POP group thing was kind of annoying but the rest of the game was solid. I liked X2 better than 12 and 13, easily.
    Thats pretty much exactly how i felt about the game. It was a massive anti climax after the amazing FFX but still a decent game.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also liked X-2... it wasn't nearly as awesome as X, however it was still REALLY good... it was a HUGE cash in, though, as it nearly exclusively used assets from X... that made exploring quite boring.

I didn't find XIII to be too bad either (haven't finished it yet), but some aspects, especially the cast, are abysmal... and since I deeply care for a good story in games, especially longer ones, this didn't do it for me. I did like the fighting system... though, after a time of levelling, you won't care much about that anymore with the "I win" button (if your team is set up correctly, that is).
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    About ffX, did anybody not know the difference between dvd and cd yet? I remember asking the store clerk when picking up ffx "How many cds does this come in?" since the box looked thin. He told me "it's not a CD but dvd" and i replied "so no cd? Then how many dvds does this come in?". I didn't know what to think until i played it . /noob story
    Last edited by JasonXe; 01-21-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... to be perfectly clear... a DVD is a CD, or compact disc... literally.. I still mostly say "CD" to a dvd when talking about data discs... (not movies, though).

PS2 had both media for games... I still have Fifa 2001 (or so), which came on a CD (which was dark blue, instead of PS1s black)
    Kept you waiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes and CD games sucked on the PS2, the disc drive was loud as hell and the console was vibrating slightly.
    I also always had the feeling that load-times were longer on most CD games.
    http://e-mpire.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19726&dateline=129306  9612

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Segitz View Post
    I didn't find XIII to be too bad either (haven't finished it yet), but some aspects, especially the cast, are abysmal... and since I deeply care for a good story in games, especially longer ones, this didn't do it for me. I did like the fighting system... though, after a time of levelling, you won't care much about that anymore with the "I win" button (if your team is set up correctly, that is).
    And this is the correct answer, in my opinion at least, on XIII. I don't like a single character in the game and the story is incredibly boring, although, to be fair, I stopped playing it before Gran Pulse. I don't want to save any of these people, haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC!D View Post

It was a pure fan-service cash-in, basically the story and the main characters can no longer be taken seriously.
    Last edited by EvilTaru; 01-22-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, I never bought into the characters or the story in FFX in the first place and so when it was time for the second go-round the game was already playing with loaded dice. Both games certainly had their moments and some terrific art direction and a solid battle system, but the characters and their annoying voice-over work grated on me.
    "A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have your attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks. Decision - Have you made your decision for Christ? And Action." (Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross)

My stories, Coercion, and Avarice, and Conduit available for the Kindle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nomura: Forget FF Versus XIII for now News.

Square Enix developer Tetsuya Nomura has told Final Fantasy fans anxiously awaiting news on the release of mysterious PlayStation 3 exclusive Versus XIII to forget about it for now.

The game will take more time than Type-0 and XIII-2, he explained to Japanese magazine Dengeki PlayStation (translated by Andriasang), because Square Enix is trying to do "a number of incredible things".

This is something he hopes players understood from the Japanese-exclusive trailer, released last week as part of a Square Enix Tokyo press conference.

Given Type-O and XIII-2 are slated for release this year, Nomura's comments suggest Versus XIII will launch during 2012 at the earliest. Our next update on the game will come at the earliest at E3, Nomura told Dengeki.

Little is known about the action-RPG, despite the fact it was first announced in 2006 alongside sister title Final Fantasy XIII.

The main character is a chap called Noctis Lucis Caelum. He's a prince, and is quoted as saying, "Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look around. It's Undeniable." Cheer up, mate.

Noctis is said to have great physical ability and a secret power that only the royal family possesses. During combat commands for Magic, Item, Summon and EX-ARTS are available.

Combat is party based, granting players control over a maximum of three characters at a time. During early parts of the story the game will swap party members in and out for you. However, as you advance in the story, you'll be able to freely switch out members.

Interestingly, the game has a realtime event system that seamlessly transitions attacks and other gubbins into the flow of gameplay. Examples given include a plane crashing into the road and a beast attacking when Noctis reaches a bridge.

Development of this aspect of the game takes a long time, said Nomura.

That pretty much confirms my theory. FFXIII-2 will be milked this year to give Nomura more time to make Versus something special. Its looking like a late 2012 title now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nomura..STOP showing and trying to hype a game that's 2 years away!
    Sapere Aude

Longing for Times Passed OmniStalgic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Real Talk..

What's so "special" -_- about an updated Kingdom Hearts engine No need to put BS PR into this, just state fans can enjoy FFXll-2 this year while we make Versus the best we can possibly make it. Jeez...
    “Had the religion of Christianity been preserved according to the ordinances of the Founder, the state and commonwealth of Christendom would have been far more united and happy than they are. Nor can there be a greater proof of its decadence than the fact that the nearer people are to the Church, the head of their religion, the less religious are they.”
    "By their Fruits, you will recognize them..."

Thread Information