Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo 3DS - The New DS... In 3D!!!

Gamer of all genres. Master of none. Generosity of God's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    or Golden Sun DS could be like Oracle of Ages/Seasons where it's still a DS game but with 3DS extras.

E-mpirial Plenipotentiary Viper's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I was right about the system using a Parallax Barrier LCD screen from Sharp.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3D-2D-Mo...news-6348.html
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

America, the Dr. will free you now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    We don't know for certain if it is a completely new successor or just a new model of DS.

Frosty, word is it will use parallax barrier technology and a screen from Sharp. The autostereoscopic notion is practically out completely.
    Jimmy... that's what autostereoscopic means..... its a technology that uses the parallax barrier to produce 3D without the use of glasses.... the parallax barrier is the actual screening device that allows only certain views to reach your left and right eyes separately and so forth....

Also.... the current rumor based on premature interviews is that this IS a new line of handheld and not just ...... DS revision # 1000....

Additionally....one thing to note is that the newly announced sharp screen that is rumored to be the tech to be used in the 3DS has a resolution of 854 x 480 (edit 754 x 480)...

EDIT.... video cays different res... but still way better than both psp and ds...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8byrOlU58x8

To compare this...

The DS has a resolution of 256 x 192

While the PSP has a resolution of 480 x 272....

Pretty sweet huh?.... I hope the rumor of it using that screen is true because if it is.... that means the graphical prowess of the 3DS should be pretty decent to accommodate the higher res screen.... and also ....it would support the idea that this really could be a NEW handheld line rather than a silly update.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm annoyed that Nintendo is making all these revisions to their hardware just as I can (sort of) afford the last revision. I own a DSlite, but I want a DSi, and now I'm going to have to wait for the 3DS. Whatever happened to making what you have out work? The Game Boy remained totally unchanged for 8 years - why can't Nintendo revisit their corporate strategy from the 90's? Hell, why can't ANY game company do that?

I'm eagerly awaiting the 3DS, but I wish I could feel I'm getting some life out of my handhelds, you know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HeroOfTimeGCN View Post
    I'm annoyed that Nintendo is making all these revisions to their hardware just as I can (sort of) afford the last revision. I own a DSlite, but I want a DSi, and now I'm going to have to wait for the 3DS. Whatever happened to making what you have out work? The Game Boy remained totally unchanged for 8 years - why can't Nintendo revisit their corporate strategy from the 90's? Hell, why can't ANY game company do that?

I'm eagerly awaiting the 3DS, but I wish I could feel I'm getting some life out of my handhelds, you know?
    It's a mix between the lowering cost of production with the customer's drive for better/cooler gadgets that do exactly the same thing but with a different look/more gigathingies (see Apple). I'm sure that the DSi XL costs just about the same price to make and mass produce as the DSi, but they're selling it for $20 more.

Regardless, I still believe this will be a new iteration in the DS's franchise. Do you know how ridiculous it would be to have three different conditions for your games. "Sure, you can play this regular DS game on DSL, DSi, or 3DS, but check out this DSi-only game! Better yet, how about this game that can only be used with 3DS?"

That would not work out very well for the constant re-release of handhelds that Nintendo has been doing. Therefore, it's more probable that it is a new handheld, especially if the accelerometer rumors are true.

1337GheyCowboys!
    Because without the "1337" and "Cowboys!", we'd be the Wyld Stallynz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention the fact that I believe Nintendo themselves even said this wasn't just a newer version of the DS...

Anyway.... want to see some ridiculously fake fan mock ups.... WAY to obvious in the photoshop work.... but it made me chuckle. ...

http://kotaku.com/5510693/is-this-th...thing/gallery/

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like it's 3d effect is a bit limited, however.

But the screen does have its drawbacks. Although most of the ghosting has been eliminated, viewers are required to remain in a "sweet spot" in order to achieve the full 3D effect. Image depth isn't quite as defined as shutter-based 3D options, providing "a great sensation of depth without making you feel as if the image is coming out from the screen."
    so still not a replacement for shutter tech, especially considering that you have to be directly in front of it to get the 3d effect. however, it's perfect for a handheld.

also, 480 x 854.. a perfect resolution for native display of widescreen dvd quality video. just a thought... (netflix?)

pimpin' my bullets! Shotgun Plasma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol...DSi last year, DSXL and DS 3D this year...what next year?

Right now I have DSi, I don't know if I can buy this crap: Other Metriod, Zelda and ton of other....God they eating my money
    Bounty Hunter of the Nintendonow

Post Thanks / Like
    THIS IS NOT A NEW DS PEOPLE!!! how many times does it have to be said... this is a totally new system.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ I know... I don't know why so many people are thinking that....

As I said earlier.... I believe it was even stated by Nintendo that this is a whole new product line... it just happens to have a dual screen setup too....

If you think about it...

THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY for the current DS tech. to output autostereoscopic images if for some reason they simply decided to upgrade the current DS with a newer set of screens.... that's not possible ... the resolution to create these new 3D effects is much higher and therefore the 3DS needs to be a totally different handheld that's more powerful.

Plus... just the fact that there is supposedly an analog stick this time around should indicate that its a whole new piece of hardware.... you cant exactly plop an analog stick on the current DS design... it just wouldn't fit.... it would be too cramped...

It's like the PlayStation name.... 2 and 3 are both NEW systems but they upgraded the graphics/features and tacked a number on the end of it... same brand.... new machine.... just like you had the GameBoy and then the GameBoy Advanced.
    Last edited by Hylian-Advocate; 04-08-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    i sure hope they actually make this one comfortable to hold. i always hated playing the DS.

and yes, processing 3d imagery requires 2 of every image, offset from different angles, to be sent to the screen. at above DVD resolution, the DS would choke just outputting to one screen much less 2 images to that same screen for 3D.

The word on the street is gamecube level graphics, although i wouldn't be surprised to see a shaders tossed in as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    We don't know for certain if it is a completely new successor or just a new model of DS.
    See, I'm still under the impression it is simply another DS model like the DSi and DSi XL.
    It's mainly Viper saying otherwise. Anyone got the link of Ninty confirming whether or not it is a new iteration or just simply a redesign?

Like I said, too much new stuff for me to consider it a revamp. Should be a new item in the line of gaming handhelds.

By the way, mockup from Kotaku was terrible.

1337GheyCowboys!
    Because without the "1337" and "Cowboys!", we'd be the Wyld Stallynz.

Post Thanks / Like
    it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a totally new design will be required to accommodate a MUCH higher resolution screen (way higher than DS' GPU could ever dream of handling, much less in 3D, and also way higher than PSP can do which is way more powerful than DS) and an analog stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Unspoken View Post
    It's mainly Viper saying otherwise. Anyone got the link of Ninty confirming whether or not it is a new iteration or just simply a redesign?
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty View Post
    it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a totally new design will be required to accommodate a MUCH higher resolution screen (way higher than DS' GPU could ever dream of handling, much less in 3D, and also way higher than PSP can do which is way more powerful than DS) and an analog stick.
    The only reason I refer to it as possibly still being among the DS branded line up is because when announced it was not clarified at all and in fact made it seem more line a continuation of the product line and not a new product line.

The recent news of the Sharp 3D LCD screen was announced well after I made my statements regarding the product line but it must be understood that the news of the screen came from Sharp but the connection to the 3DS has only been made by news sites making an assumption. Neither Nintendo nor Sharp have announced it. Until they do, I won't make any assumptions as to which way it goes.
    The current US government is the type of government the founding fathers fought against and warned us about.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^agreed... I wasn't calling you out or anything Vipes....

and I also agree that people have simply made the false assumption that Sharp's new screens would be used by Ninty.... while the timing of their press releases were so close together (which is why people made the assumption).... that could have been just a coincidence...

However.... I still believe the tech needed to create 3D images like they are saying they will use would require somthing much more powerfull than what the DS has to offer...

So like I and others said before.... there is just too much NEW for it to be a simple DS product line update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reggie confirmed it. Whole new generation.

E3 can't get here fast enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reggie confirmed it. Whole new generation.

E3 can't get here fast enough.
    He sure did.

“We have ideas of what we want to bring to the consumer that we can’t do with the current” DS model, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime said in an interview yesterday. “The Nintendo 3DS for us is our next handheld platform.”

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ince-2004.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait to get my hands on it either. It's going to be the first nintendo system to pull this feat off with me thus far.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is particularly noteworthy as well....

"Fils-Aime likened the 3DS’s debut to when Nintendo transitioned from the Game Boy to the DS."

Gamer of all genres. Master of none. Generosity of God's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nintendo 3DS release date - October
    Tuesday 20-Apr-2010 2:50 PM UK trade sources tell CVG handheld is just six months away

Nintendo's 3DS will be released a full two months in advance of Christmas this year, CVG can reveal.

UK industry sources have today informed us that the platform holder is readying an October launch for the system - which it will announce at E3.

That means it will go head-to-head with Microsoft's own great hardware hope this winter, Project Natal.

News of an October launch was a surprise for the execs we spoke to - as Nintendo had only previously announced that the handheld would hit shelves before March, 2011.

An October launch pre-dates that expiry date by a full six months - and gives Nintendo a three-month run-up to Christmas.

One very senior publishing source told CVG: "It's a surprise - we were expecting it much closer to Christmas. But I suppose it gives Nintendo the opportunity to get it front and centre in people's minds nice and early.

"In my experience, you don't launch a product that early to Christmas unless you're confident in it - and going to spend a lot of money on it. We're reassured that Nintendo is going to give it some decent backing in Q4."

The 3DS allows gamers to enjoy software with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses - but will also play regular DS titles.

Professor Layton developer Level 5 is reportedly creating a custom 3D game for the system.

Nintendo describes it as 'the new portable game machine to succeed [the] Nintendo DS series'. Take from that what you will.

CVG asked Cambridge University 3D experts how the device might work earlier this year.

We haven't yet got hold of a specific launch date - but Sunday, October 10 (10/10/10) is surely a front runner.

Nintendo told CVG today's story was merely "rumour and speculation". We get that a lot.
    3DS launch being used as a disruptor for Natal and Move? might just work.

i'm a little worried at what the price might be. DSi XL is already close to the Wii price. if it is truly a successor like they say, i can't see it being less than the either of them. and it might end up being a tough sell. but then again Nintendo always find a way to make their consoles less costly to produce and might surprise me.

i'm not expecting the October release to be true but i'll be pleased if it is.

Thread Information