Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo 3DS - The New DS... In 3D!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nintendo 3DS - The New DS... In 3D!!!

According to the Nintendo release, the system will feature 3D gaming and require no glasses, feature cart based games, is the successor to the Nintendo DS, will feature backwards compatibility, and hold a target release date of before March 2011. Previously, rumored specs of the handheld had graphics comparable to that of the GCN, no mention of graphics output was made here, though. All other information will be known at this year's E3 showing. At this point, all we can do is speculate.
    This is one I'd buy.

For those wondering, while they did not specify what 3D tech is used, it is most likely what are called autostereoscopic displays. these work by having each pixel actually be as many as 9 pixels all at different angles. each angle has a different image on it, so as you move your head you see the various angles. the light also hits your eyes at a different angle, producing a stereoscopic 3d effect. The only drawback is that the 3d effect can only be seen in a "3d zone" right in front of the screen, dead center, which is why we don't see the 3dTV's using it (that, and it's expensive). but, for a handheld, where the screen is held at a set distance from your eyes and you are always centered to the screen, it's perfect.

the whole concept works very similar to the old baseball cards that would animate when you tilted them... but a lot more complex.

congrats to ninty for yet another handheld innovation.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Color me impressed nintedno. bravo. *begins thinking of gameplay possibilities*

On a Magic School Bus OG_Monkey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    announcement out of no where. Man talk about pumping DSs out the ass. Good thing I didn't buy that DSi as a planed awhile ago. So DS, DS Lite, DSi, DS XL, 3DS geeze
    Check out my YouTube Channel and Other Pages:

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure it will sell, but I'm going to say YUCK. I don't care who is doing it right now I don't want 3D... period.

PSN: CptnAmerica
    Twitch: CptnAmeric4

Post Thanks / Like
    I so knew it.
    http://e-mpire.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19726&dateline=129306  9612

Post Thanks / Like
    3D can suck a dick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is anything else being updated, or is this it?
    "THIS STORY IS DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE CYBERPUNKS WHO FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE AND CORRUPTION EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES." - Snatcher
    Laguna: "Chill man, it's cool." -- Youtube
    Five Things We Won't See in the Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Best Controller to KB/M Program: http://joytokey.net/en/download (ask me if you need help)
    PSN ID: Londonstani // PS4 Gameplay & Screenshots
    Steam ID: curryking3 // PC Screenshots & 4K & QHD Screenshots

I'll be what I will be Lucent Beam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    !! Awesome!!!!!

I know I recently said how I don't think Nintendo needs a new handheld just yet, but if it's something that adds something really cool, I'm all for it!

Depending on the game lineup, this is a day 1 purchase for me!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    man, I already got a fucking DSi..... I'll wait till it breaks or gets cheaper.

"what you playing man?"
    "DS on fucking 3D! and they called it 3DS, fucking clever! OH SHI-"

iPad 3d in the works?
    aaahh shiiiit

Post Thanks / Like
    what's up with this hate for 3D? you people amaze me sometimes. Did you type that from your commodore 64? while listening to your 8track? you really should become amish, being that you resist technological change and innovation. in fact, just quit playing videogames all together. i mean, for fuck's sake, you don't even need glasses for this 3d to work!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't hate the 3D, I'm just pretty indifferent to it. It's just not something I'm chasing right now. And I don't really get excited for handhelds either... I've never bought one... lol. So 3D on handhelds is something even less exciting for me lol.

I am hoping the next Gameboy we see is a step from like Advance to DS at least.

What I'd be disappointed with is if 3D is the only addition, but I guess we don't know what 3DS constitutes just yet.
    "THIS STORY IS DEDICATED TO ALL THOSE CYBERPUNKS WHO FIGHT AGAINST INJUSTICE AND CORRUPTION EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES." - Snatcher
    Laguna: "Chill man, it's cool." -- Youtube
    Five Things We Won't See in the Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Best Controller to KB/M Program: http://joytokey.net/en/download (ask me if you need help)
    PSN ID: Londonstani // PS4 Gameplay & Screenshots
    Steam ID: curryking3 // PC Screenshots & 4K & QHD Screenshots

Post Thanks / Like
    it's the new gameplay possibilities it opens up that baffles me as to why someone wouldn't want it to be an available feature.

Also, seems like the dev community is already reacting...

James Mielke, producer at Q! Entertainment posted this commented about the Nintendo 3DS via his Twitter feed: ”Breaking news: Yet another Nintendo console that’s impossible for anyone other than Nintendo to make money on.”
    And some rumored specs...

Update: Yomiuri Shimbun notes: “it is believed that the system will use a Sharp 3D LCD panel.” Meanwhile, Mainichi Shimbun says that Nintendo has briefed developers on the system and as expected, software will be made available for launch.

This information comes from Nikkei, which is generally a very reliable source of information. Just to be sure, though, I’m marking these details as speculation…

- Analog Stick
    - vibration pack
    - tilt sensor under decision
    - wireless connection speed up
    - battery life up
    - smaller than 4″ screen

Post Thanks / Like
    “I don’t understand the technology behind a 3D display that doesn’t require glasses. If it’s so easy to do, why would Samsung put out 3D HDTVs that require glasses? My guess is that Nintendo has figured something out that is either very cool and advanced, or is a gimmick, and until I see it, I really won’t know. What’s interesting to me is that Nintendo is so bold. It seems that if 3D on portable devices was easy, Apple would have beat them to it. If they truly pioneer a technology, my guess is that Apple will mimic the technology. Without a real breakthrough in game play (as happened with the DS), I’m not sure that this device will do much more than serve as a replacement for current DS owners.”
    – Wedbush Morgan analysts Michael Pachter

Post Thanks / Like
    it's called autostereoscopic. nintendo didn't figure anything out, they used tech already available. pachter is just an idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    and this isnt DS2 correct? just another revision? Pretty big revision

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I believe it is. DS is their new GB basically. Them keeping the DS name is mainly to insure people that it will be backwards compatible with DS games.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it is a true successor. It is rumored to have gamecube quality graphics (a cleaner looking PSP in 3D).

Post Thanks / Like
    ooooh ok so its a successor. That changes things then

Post Thanks / Like
    In an interview with IGN, SCEA's Director of Hardware and Marketing John Koller said the company is only focusing on the 3D console space right now.

"Our focus on 3D right now is on the console," he said. "There's a tremendous amount of opportunity on PlayStation 3 with 3D. The amount of interest in 3D from the retail side and game publishers is off the charts. We know we have a hit with 3D on PS3 and we're going to concentrate our efforts there."

Koller also questioned today's announcement of the Nintendo 3DS, saying he wasn't sure if there is a market for 3D handheld gaming with a younger audience.

"I think it remains to be seen where Nintendo goes with 3D on a portable," he added. "Having been in the portable space for quite awhile, I think it's an interesting move but one I'd like to see where they go from a demographic standpoint. 8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now."
    The last comment was a bit much, as 8-9 year olds would be just as wowed by 3d as anyone, but i can see that he is likely quoting their demographic research which shows the group primarily interested in 3d are older than that.

Thread Information