Thread: Reasons why Xbox will fail big time

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Micro$ft thinks they can take the videogame world by storm this fall do they? eh eh not so fast sonny because it would seem that there are others who have already staked a claim to that territory.

Sony: Despite critisisms over some of it's games the Ps2 has mananged to so far sell upwards of 12 million systems worldwide. Of course of lot of these sales were hype sales, but it is still phenominal. As far as strategies against Microsoft Sony has by far one of the best. First off $250 million in advertising is by far more than enough for a system which virtually everyone from young kids to old men know about. I assume most of this money will go toward advertising for games, as well as partnerships with big name companies or food chains. As for games Sony is planning on bombarding Microsoft with a slew of great games this November. From Metal Gear 2 to Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter, State of Emergency, The Lost, Wipeout Fusion, Deus Ex, and more PS2 will look mighty attractive to the casuals, those who have yet to buy a system, and have been leaning toward Ps2 anyway. Plus add that to the fact that there will be 20 million systems on the market by year end and you can see why sony has plans to stay #1.

Nintendo: After a great E3 Nintendo is concentrating on making more buzz around their system at Spaceworld. GC will be coming out 3 days before Xbox, and at $100 cheaper. Combine that with the strong expected sales of PS2, and Xbox looks to get hit where it hurts, and hit hard. Let's not forget that there will be a Mario title at launch ~hopefully~, and Mario knows how to sell hardware.

Xbox: With the facts presented it looks like Xbox will fail, or at least be 3rd sales wise this holiday season. Halo and Munch are'nt enough to make the system a hit. Probably the biggest nail in Xboxs coffin is timing. It's coming out 4th in the U.S. which gives Sony plenty of lead time, but Japan is where timing is going to be the systems death. not to mention Japan is'nt to keen on the system anyways. Then there is Europe where it wont see release till spring 2002 missing out the crucial Holiday season, and giving Sony more time to build their lead. As far as units are concerned 600,000-800,000 is not enough. Sure its more than anyone has put out before, but there will be 10s of millions of people looking for a new system this holiday season, and with those numbers even if Xbox was the greatest thing ever, there would still be many a shortage. I give Xbox till early 2003. If MS loses a truckload of money on it this fall, and never really gains it back which is what most financial reports are saying, they'll pull the plug on the system just like Sega did on DC.

Veteran Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    the very few facts you presented were just sony sales numbers

guess what, i'm skipping sony and getting xbox, and if they only make 150 games for it, so be it

sony is just not what they used to be

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Next_Genner
    So Micro$ft thinks they can take the videogame world by storm this fall do they? eh eh not so fast sonny because it would seem that there are others who have already staked a claim to that territory.

Sony: Despite critisisms over some of it's games the Ps2 has mananged to so far sell upwards of 12 million systems worldwide. Of course of lot of these sales were hype sales, but it is still phenominal. As far as strategies against Microsoft Sony has by far one of the best. First off $250 million in advertising is by far more than enough for a system which virtually everyone from young kids to old men know about. I assume most of this money will go toward advertising for games, as well as partnerships with big name companies or food chains. As for games Sony is planning on bombarding Microsoft with a slew of great games this November. From Metal Gear 2 to Devil May Cry, Jak and Daxter, State of Emergency, The Lost, Wipeout Fusion, Deus Ex, and more PS2 will look mighty attractive to the casuals, those who have yet to buy a system, and have been leaning toward Ps2 anyway. Plus add that to the fact that there will be 20 million systems on the market by year end and you can see why sony has plans to stay #1.

Nintendo: After a great E3 Nintendo is concentrating on making more buzz around their system at Spaceworld. GC will be coming out 3 days before Xbox, and at $100 cheaper. Combine that with the strong expected sales of PS2, and Xbox looks to get hit where it hurts, and hit hard. Let's not forget that there will be a Mario title at launch ~hopefully~, and Mario knows how to sell hardware.

Xbox: With the facts presented it looks like Xbox will fail, or at least be 3rd sales wise this holiday season. Halo and Munch are'nt enough to make the system a hit. Probably the biggest nail in Xboxs coffin is timing. It's coming out 4th in the U.S. which gives Sony plenty of lead time, but Japan is where timing is going to be the systems death. not to mention Japan is'nt to keen on the system anyways. Then there is Europe where it wont see release till spring 2002 missing out the crucial Holiday season, and giving Sony more time to build their lead. As far as units are concerned 600,000-800,000 is not enough. Sure its more than anyone has put out before, but there will be 10s of millions of people looking for a new system this holiday season, and with those numbers even if Xbox was the greatest thing ever, there would still be many a shortage. I give Xbox till early 2003. If MS loses a truckload of money on it this fall, and never really gains it back which is what most financial reports are saying, they'll pull the plug on the system just like Sega did on DC.
    Halo and Munch aren't enough. I agree. But have you seen the Exclusive list? There are much more games then those 2 And the PS2 is out for a year, and still there aren't many sold. PS2 is going down

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    pathetic

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    List of Xbox exclusive games

A.I. 1 - I dont know what to make of these first 3 games

A.I. 2 -

A.I. 3

Air Force Delta Storm - A flight simulator nuff said, and I though Xbox was trying to dodge the PC in a box mantra.

Amped 2- who cares amped 1 is'nt even out

Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding - it may turn out good, but its Microsofts first Snowboarding game, and could be a huge disaster also

Azurik: Rise of Perathia - The graphics look like N64s, but gameplay is what matters, and this game does'nt sound promising on either front.

Baseball (tentative)- not enough info to judge

Blood Wake- this one just sounds bland. You go around in a boat, fighting off your uncle and his men, and destroying things. The realistic water physics would be the only reason to purchase this game, if even that.

Brain Box - not enough info to judge

Bruce Lee: Quest for the Dragon- Bruce Lee was never that popular, and a game based on him would probably hold the same merit

Brute Force - Its being made by that no namer digital anvil so dont expect much from this one.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer- Oh wow first a lame ass show, and now a lame ass videogame.

Cel Damage Racing- Theres something about cel shaded racing games that just screams 16 bit recycled gameplay.

Crash Bandicoot X- Crash sucked on PS, so why would Xbox or any other system be any different

Crazy Taxi Next- So sue me but I'll say it, Crazy taxi blows. You can finsih the game in 5 minutes, and it has very little replay value. Add that to the fact that it costs $50 and you can see how much it's not worth it.

Dead or Alive 3- Just like Crazy Taxi only with fighting. I don't care how good it looks graphically the gameplay is still too shallow for my liking.

Dino Crisis 3- Hmm sounds cool, hey I'm not biased but it is one of the only Xbox exclusives that looks good.

Fate RPG- last I heard it was cancelled

Fellowship of the Ring- hmm have'nt heard much on this one. I'll reserve judgement till I get more info.

Fuzion Frenzy Party- For a party game it may do well, but party games are'nt exactly big with me or anybody else for that matter.

Genma Onimusha Action- If it's a port of Onimusha PS2 with just improved graphics, the gameplay will still blow since I heard Onimusha can be beaten in one sitting.

Halo FPS- Halo could be cool, but Xbox fanboys are bestowing too much hype on this game. Does sound like Xboxs first killer app though.

House of the Dead 3- Just like Crazy Taxi, and DOA3 only with Zombies ughh why do they charge $50 for these types of games.

Hunter: The Reckoning- From what I saw all the creatures, and environments look about the same. Gameplay wise it looks like your typical slash the bad guy type game which tends to get repetitive rather quickly.

Jetsprint MX Racing - I don't know about this

Jonny Drama Adventure- A cell shaded game from the people who brought us half life. This one could go either way.

NBA Inside Drive 2002- not enough info to judge

New Legends- This one did poor at E3. It could be cleaned up for launch, but I just would'nt trust THQ on this or any of their other games for that matter.

NFL Fever 2002- Sports games are'nt my area so I'll skip this and the next one.

NHL Hockey Sports

Nightcaster- Like Azurik the graphics are very poor for Xbox, or even PS2, or DC. The gameplay just does'nt seem that interesting either

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee- If Lorne can pull everything off he may have a hit on his hands. I guess Xbox does have a few good games

Project Ego- Something tells me this one wont see the light of day till at least 2003, but if it really is as good as they say it should be then it will need the extra time.

Project Gotham Racing- MSR for DC sucked, I played it plain and simple. Gotham is a port of MSR and I'll tell you that MSR needs a lot more than upgraded graphics to save it.

Project X.Fox- I just heard about this one so I cant judge it yet.

Shrek Adventure- Shrek is cool, but I have yet to see how the game pans out.

Star Wars Starfighter- The Ps2 version sucked, so why would I even bother with an Xbox version

Style Laboratory Sim - For this and the next two I dont know since there is no info on them

TransWorld Skateboarding

TransWorld Snowboarding

Unreal Championship- I like First Person Shooters, but I hate multiplayer first person shooters like Quake and Unreal. Single player will always come before multiplayer.

Warcaster- I dont know about this one

So you see out of 45 exlusives there really are'nt a lot of good games in that list. Some we don't have enough info on, but some will just plain suck. It happens on every system, and Xbox is no different.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with J

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do realize it's being made by Konami, right? (Either Konami or another Japanese console developer.)
    Air Force Delta Storm is a console game....it never was on PC.
    Yep it's made by Konami, the same Konami who is dedicating 70% of their developement to PS2. Flight Simulators are usually found on the PC, and Xbox is trying to establish itself as a console so that's all I meant.

Look, it's not the best that Xbox has to offer graphics wise, but there are HUGE environments in this game, and it's totally seamless (read: no load times)
    Huge environments mean nothing. Turok 2 on N64 had environments just as huge. an if you think a lack of load times will automatically make this game awesome then I dont know what you're smoking.

Wow, you sure know how to sound uninterested in a game. Look, you can say the same thing about any other game. Tony Hawk sounds boring, all you do is skate around and do tricks in halfpipes...Mario is dumb, all you do is run around and jump on things. Nascar 4 is stupid, all you do is drive around in a circle.
    You are right Tony Hawk is boring. I played it at Best Buy, the game is boring as hell. You're also right about Nascar since for the most part they make a new one every year, and the gameplay is just rehased, and yes you do just drive around in circles. On Mario is where you are wrong. It is a platform game which requires some thinking, and well as collecting of objects to fulfill certain objectives. Mario Bros. 1,2,3 were all awesome, and each was different and unique in it's own way. Mario 64 was unique mostly because it was 3D, but still considering it was on cartridge the game still managed to be nothing short of awesome.

Why should cel-shaded racing games be any more "16-bit" than JSR?? Or are you just going on a hunch? You do realize that cel-shading is a method of rendering graphics, not creating gameplay...right?
    I would rather have a game in 3D than cel shaded. It just does'nt look right.

I think the review of Crazy Taxi on IGN Dreamcast would like to disagree with you.
    IGN are retards, just look at anything Brandon Justice wrote for proof. Besides most reviewers tend to give good games bad reviews, and bad games good reviews.

Hmm, so you're one of those lucky ones who have played DOA3??
    No but I played DOA 1, and 2, and if 3 is anything like either of those then why would I waste $50 on the shallow piece of junk.

Which is why Mario Party sucked right? And why Nintendo didn't make three sequels to it?? What's this about multiplayer?
    Mario Party did'nt suck. The first one ruled, but the next two were pretty much rehashes of the first, but the first one was unique, and had a very high fun factor.

Citizen
    Post Thanks / Like
    Airforce Delta 1 was released on Dreamcast. Ace Combat series for PS2 is more fun and addicting than AFD

Thread Information