PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of the DS...?

Michael
05-22-2004, 02:59 AM
Ok...when Ds was first announced, they said they wanted to appeal to mature gamers rather then the hardcore Nintendo fan...but once released, I think many people are still thinking of it as a classic nintendo system...all kiddy, or overly family freindly...has anyone else noticed this lately...

In part it's nintendo's fault for showing off some of the nicer features in a childest package, and the rest lies on developers that I believe got the wrong idea about it...do you think that this may change before launch...and do you think that I'm wrong, it was always suppose to be kiddy...

Omega
05-22-2004, 03:02 AM
I think we'll see a variety of game types for the DS. Its only a matter of time, but the implications and possibilities of have Dual Screens are almost endless. I doubt this potential will be overlooked by developers as well as gamers.

Viper
05-22-2004, 03:08 AM
It was never supposed to be a 'mature' handheld as in pricey, sophisticated looking casual gamer thing.

The DS has WiFi and voice chat, internet and a touch screen....sound kiddy to you?

Michael
05-22-2004, 03:09 AM
I doubt this potential will be overlooked by developers as well as gamers.

Oh no, I'm not saying that at all, I just know Nintendo made the system to be like a mature gameboy....But developers still act like..."Nintendo, so it boils down to a kiddy game system...end of case...lets make a platformer called Daisy and the 100 million kitten, we can use the touch screen and the wifi so people can play online" like that...see what I mean...

Edit: I just read your post Viper, now you can read mine and see what I mean...

Viper
05-22-2004, 04:05 AM
TooHuman, I've read the entire dev reaction on Nintendo's media access page. They love it and not a single one called/claimed/decided it was kiddy.

Here. Read this.

“When Nintendo came down and presented the DS platform to us, … I think everyone was in shock. It was amazing. … Our technical and central technology guys were kind of drooling at the abilities and wanting so much to program and dive into programming for the system. … Nintendo DS, I believe, is a revolution in change for hand-held gaming.”
– Will Kassoy, vice president, global brand management, Activision

“I believe that Square Enix has a promising chance in the platform, since Nintendo DS allows users to experience whole new game play with both its input system and its output system.”
– Yoichi Wada, president and representative director, Square Enix

“The Nintendo dual screen is something that we’re really excited about developing for. It’s very innovative, which is classic Nintendo.”
– Nick Earl, vice president and general manager, Electronic Arts

“The fact that touch panels can be associated with many terms about touching that we never had, such as touch, push, feel, rub, slide and pat is wonderful. … I have been working in this industry for 20 years. During that time I made many games. But I think this is the first time that we have a new input device.”
– Yuji Naka, senior corporate officer, development division, Sega

“Once again Nintendo is taking another leap in the gaming experience for the gamer by providing totally new game-play experiences, developing new gaming habits. Very characteristic of a Nintendo maneuver.”
– Jay Cohen, vice president, publishing, Ubisoft

– more –

Nintendo DS is “a new game machine that will build the future of the game industry. … Our frontier spirit has been awoken.”
– Tsunekazu Ishihara, chairman and CEO, Pokémon

“This has a huge potential. … It is very nice that we can create games using DS that were not even possible before.”
– Yoichi Haraguchi, vice president and executive officer, Namco

“Nintendo has a reputation for doing extraordinary things in the hand-held space. The DS is an extraordinary device, and we are going to do everything in our power to support it.”
– Michael Pole, executive vice president, worldwide studios, Vivendi Universal Games

“Nintendo DS is going to push the hand-held technology to really uncharted territories. By that I mean that it’s going to bring amazing new game mechanics, new game design.”
– Yves Blehaut, senior vice president, Atari

“I think the DS will stimulate the process of game development.”
– Tomofumi Gotsubo, president and CEO, Konami of America

“DS is deceptively amazing. … Touch screen is a very blank canvas for a game designer to be able to design their own input features. … DS really could be a killer to PSP. … I really think the Nintendo DS could kick the crap out of Sony PSP.”
– Kevin Ray, chief technology officer, Majesco

“The wireless capability potentially allows game players to connect wirelessly literally around the world.”
– Brian Farrell, president and CEO, THQ

“I am sure people have nice memory of yelling at a controller. Now, we have a more established function of inputting our voice. … Nintendo always pleasantly surprises us with interesting projects and interesting ideas.”
– Keiji Inafune, producer, Capcom

Michael
05-22-2004, 04:23 AM
I know people loved it, that's kinda not the point though...I never said the developers didn't love it as well...maybe I should have edited the title...the actual games that they decided to make...

heres my gamespot list:

Animal Crossing
Bomberman
Dynasty Warriors
Egg Monster Hero
Mario Kart DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Pac 'n Roll
Pac-Pix
PictoChat
Project Rub (working title)
Sonic DS (working title)
Super Mario 64x4
Super Mario Bros. DS
WarioWare, Inc. DS
Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Trouble

Now maybe it wasn't suppose to be mature or kiddy stereotyped, but it seems a awful amount like the GBA list which, (even though it's really not) is kiddy...there's only one exception, and you all know what it is...maybe it's alittle early in the game to bring this up, because not alot of games are not announced because I to read that thing before I made this...

This was along time coming though...Psp gamespot:
AC Formula Front
Ape Escape (working titl
ATV Offroad Fury (workin
Axel Impact Internationa
BBG (working title)
Crazy Racing: Kart Rider
Darkstalkers Chronicle (
Death, Jr.
Dokodemo Issho
Dynasty Warriors (workin
Exploration Based Horror
Fighting Spirits
Final Fantasy VII: Adven
Formula 1 '04
Free Running
Frogger (working title)
Gaghary (working title)
Gran Turismo 4 Mobile
Hard Corps
Hot Shots Golf (working
MediEvil (working title)
Mercury
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Shell
NBA ShootOut 2005
NBA Street
Need for Speed Undergrou
NFL Street
NHL FaceOff 2005
Project S (working title
PSP Racing (working titl
Puyo Pop Fever
Ren-Goku: The Tower of P
Ridge Racer (working tit
Spider-Man 2
Sticky Balls
Syphon Filter: Logan's S
Tales of Eternia
Ten no Kaji, Chi no mo
This Is Football 2005
Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Tony Hawk's Underground
Twisted Metal World Tour
Vulcanus Online
Wipeout Pure
WRC
Ys VI: The Ark of Napish
Zero Hour
-Now, I know they like to lie and stretch the truth like no tomarrow...and I even know they don't stand a chance really, but why is this happening like this...Developers seem to take to the Ds...alot of them, a whole lot of them...then they make a game for the system they don't want to because the other systems looks more mature...ok...I changed the topic alittle...but still...

Back to my point, the Ds is still getting looked at as kiddy...this is apparent in the way that list the games...The Ds is appealing to the casual gamer, but when they see the psp, there views change...Developers seem to be doing the same...

that's my overly long reaction...

Viper
05-22-2004, 04:32 AM
Most of the titles shown are demos to start with and many are Nintendo themselves so you know they are going to pop out with 'Death Race Extreme DS' anytime soon. Many of the non-Nintendo titles were of all ages, the target audience is all. A few were kiddy but even those were just demos and not exactly announced titles.

Relax, this thing has too many grown up features to be a happy meal toy.

The PSP has more mature titles simply because that is what Sony is marketing it to but even then....Metal Gear Acid is simply a card game and that takes lots of the maturity out of it there.

Pro A.
05-22-2004, 04:37 AM
Nintendo will have M-rated games, to be sure. The handhelds have always appealed to a younger audience, though. Pokemon is part of the reason for that.

Michael
05-22-2004, 04:37 AM
^yeah, that is true I must admit, but I really didn't want to get into the psp...I'd just let them do there own thing for now...I'll be really excited when I see more mature title....otherwise I'm bumping this thread back up from the grave...

Edit: I meant yeah to Viper...

disrupter006
05-22-2004, 05:39 AM
I know people loved it, that's kinda not the point though...I never said the developers didn't love it as well...maybe I should have edited the title...the actual games that they decided to make...

heres my gamespot list:

Animal Crossing
Bomberman
Dynasty Warriors
Egg Monster Hero
Mario Kart DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Pac 'n Roll
Pac-Pix
PictoChat
Project Rub (working title)
Sonic DS (working title)
Super Mario 64x4
Super Mario Bros. DS
WarioWare, Inc. DS
Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Trouble

Now maybe it wasn't suppose to be mature or kiddy stereotyped, but it seems a awful amount like the GBA list which, (even though it's really not) is kiddy...there's only one exception, and you all know what it is...maybe it's alittle early in the game to bring this up, because not alot of games are not announced because I to read that thing before I made this...

This was along time coming though...Psp gamespot:
AC Formula Front
Ape Escape (working titl
ATV Offroad Fury (workin
Axel Impact Internationa
BBG (working title)
Crazy Racing: Kart Rider
Darkstalkers Chronicle (
Death, Jr.
Dokodemo Issho
Dynasty Warriors (workin
Exploration Based Horror
Fighting Spirits
Final Fantasy VII: Adven
Formula 1 '04
Free Running
Frogger (working title)
Gaghary (working title)
Gran Turismo 4 Mobile
Hard Corps
Hot Shots Golf (working
MediEvil (working title)
Mercury
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Shell
NBA ShootOut 2005
NBA Street
Need for Speed Undergrou
NFL Street
NHL FaceOff 2005
Project S (working title
PSP Racing (working titl
Puyo Pop Fever
Ren-Goku: The Tower of P
Ridge Racer (working tit
Spider-Man 2
Sticky Balls
Syphon Filter: Logan's S
Tales of Eternia
Ten no Kaji, Chi no mo
This Is Football 2005
Tiger Woods PGA Tour
Tony Hawk's Underground
Twisted Metal World Tour
Vulcanus Online
Wipeout Pure
WRC
Ys VI: The Ark of Napish
Zero Hour
-Now, I know they like to lie and stretch the truth like no tomarrow...and I even know they don't stand a chance really, but why is this happening like this...Developers seem to take to the Ds...alot of them, a whole lot of them...then they make a game for the system they don't want to because the other systems looks more mature...ok...I changed the topic alittle...but still...

Back to my point, the Ds is still getting looked at as kiddy...this is apparent in the way that list the games...The Ds is appealing to the casual gamer, but when they see the psp, there views change...Developers seem to be doing the same...

that's my overly long reaction...

check gamespot again because theres a list of third party titles on there as well

Deno22
05-22-2004, 06:08 AM
i hope the wireless multiplayer isn't expensive. then that would definitely ruin the DS.

fishbonetaher
05-22-2004, 10:48 AM
the only bad thing i read was that the controls weren't all that great, other than that the DS is suppossed to be AMAZING. We'll have to wait a couple of months to know how well it does and who will buy it "the kids or the adults" + i really doubt that parents will buy such a highly sophisticated device for their children.

AntiRealityHero
05-23-2004, 02:51 AM
i hope the wireless multiplayer isn't expensive. then that would definitely ruin the DS.

Yeah, this crazy Japanese currency they have says it's "free"

Anyone know how much "free" is in US Dollars? :)

BrokenLink
05-27-2004, 07:57 PM
The DS utilizes new features never seen on a handheld before. My guess would be that coming up with creative ideas for games on the DS would be a lot harder than putting a toned down PS2 game on a handheld, which is basically what their doing with the PSP. I'm sure we'll see more mature games on the horizon. Sports games and RTS's would probably do really well on the DS for example.

GleefulFarewell
06-17-2004, 03:23 AM
It was never supposed to be a 'mature' handheld as in pricey, sophisticated looking casual gamer thing.

The DS has WiFi and voice chat, internet and a touch screen....sound kiddy to you?

The DS can access the internet??? Does that mean you can go to sites n stuff???

Backlash
06-17-2004, 03:46 AM
Well, not unless someone made a game that included that in it, but it's for gaming over the internet. You get in range of a Wi-Fi access point that has the Internet connected to it, and then some way or another, you'll be able to play against anyone in the world.

speed stick
06-17-2004, 03:49 AM
^I like that idea. I hope they have some small cartridge that is included with the DS that is a web browser. That would be nice, really nice. You could access the internet whenever you are downtown in the city. Nintendo should consider something like that.

Michael
06-17-2004, 03:53 AM
That's the beauty of the ds...It can do a hell of alot more then the psp, without being overly flashy, and exaggerating the specs...like another handheld I know is doing...

Glenn2K4
06-17-2004, 03:55 AM
^ it really depends on what nintendo wants to do with it.

~they could have it to where you can access the internet as we know it...fully open
~they could make a DS portal where you can access only DS sites, services, and tournaments
....right now, it is really up in the air on how far Nintendo plans to utilize the online features available on the DS

going back to Too Human's question, i dont think that it'd be fair to expect that the DS lineup to be:
Dead or Alive: XXX
Mario Kart Theft Auto
Luigi's Bad Hangover....etc etc

yes the DS is to be marketed to the older crowd, and it will...but dont expect only mature titles on the DS. while i do agree that the packaging on the DS could be alot cleaner and flashier, i think Nintendo will target their audience by features, price point. Dont give your hopes up yet. besides, most of what you saw at e3 were demos.

Michael
06-17-2004, 04:07 AM
Well, there is a good chance for GTA and such...and as for utilizing, nintendo has left it up to the developers, and they will support it...so it's not up to nintendo, it's up to them...the DS is a Developer's System...I do think we'll be seeing more mature titles down the road, but only when Psp bombs...or if they have a way to slow start that they can't catch up...

speed stick
06-17-2004, 04:12 AM
Now we have to hope that the developers make good stuff for the DS. :)

Michael
06-17-2004, 04:16 AM
Yep, and if it's half the way as successful as GBA, then they will...I can bet on it...

GleefulFarewell
06-17-2004, 04:17 AM
I kinda hope the PSP puts up a really good fight...then nintendo will sell all kinds of attatchments and other kool things...for example...the GBA/GBA SP didnt have any "competition" so they were slow to get games out and they didnt have really any attatchments...

Michael
06-17-2004, 04:19 AM
As I said before...It'd be up to the developers not nintendo, so they won't care about nintendo's well being, and abandon the Ds...leaving it it be nothing....wow...that's kinda bad...

GleefulFarewell
06-17-2004, 04:29 AM
O_o...

Glenn2K4
06-17-2004, 04:42 AM
I kinda hope the PSP puts up a really good fight...then nintendo will sell all kinds of attatchments and other kool things...for example...the GBA/GBA SP didnt have any "competition" so they were slow to get games out and they didnt have really any attatchments...
competition is good for Nintendo.

i really dont think we'd be seeing the DS today if the PSP weren't announced by sony....but i really dont want any more useless attachements (eReader anyone?)
:wave: