PDA

View Full Version : Invincible Tiger (PSN)

cliffbo
02-10-2009, 04:48 PM
A Quick Look At Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao
By Jim Reilly, 8:40 AM on Tue Feb 10 2009, 1,636 views

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/2009/02/custom_1234182430608_IT.jpg

VIDEO (http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/invincibletigerthelegendofhantao/video/6204315/new-york-comic-con-09-invincible-tiger-the-legend-of-han-tao-gameplay-movie-3)

Namco Bandai made up for not bringing Splatterhouse to Comic-Con to demo for us by instead showing off this little title for XBLA and PSN.

What Is it?
That's what I wanted to know, too. You play as Han Tao and you're looking to reclaim you Star of Destiny. It's a 2D brawler where main objective is to battle waves of enemies before moving onto the next stage. It takes after those 70's Kung-Fu flicks, so it's purposely very campy in that way. There's even a film grain overlay (which is hard to see) which gives it a bit more authenticity. It's suppose to be over-the-top in not only their moves, but their actions and animations.

What We Saw
Namco Bandai was showing off two early stages on at their booth for the XBox 360. The demo took about 10 minutes to complete.

How Far Along Is it?
I'm told it is "close to beta," but the expected release date is this Summer.

What Needs Improvement?
Inside Levels: For now it seems most of the time you're either fighting outside or inside this cave area, but not inside any temples or places of worship.

Trophies?: What is with developers not being able to confirm trophy support? There will be achievements, but trophies? Namco Bandai still doesn't know. How hard is it to simply take the Achievements and move them over to PSN for Trophies?

Co-op?: Still not confirmed, but I imagine some type of multiplayer will be added.

What Should Stay The Same?
Tight/responsive controls: The controls feel good. Real good.

Level interactivity: Han Tao can interact with the level by swinging on tree branches or picking up barrels. These are all indicated by turning a faint red when standing nearby.

Final Thoughts
It's a fun little game. It would be even more fun with your buddies. The difficulty is what I'm mainly interested since the demo was a little on the easy side.

http://kotaku.com/5149424/a-quick-look-at-invincible-tiger-the-legend-of-han-tao

# By filling up Han Tao’s Zen Meter with punishing combos and well timed dodges, players can unlock the full potential of his true power and decimate the opposition.

# Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao offers a variety of modes for both online and local play:

# Team up with a partner and take on the Evil Overload’s diabolical army through Story Mode Co-op.

# Carefully battle through each stage with increased difficulty and a shared Zen Meter.

# Combat techniques learned through the single player game will serve players well as all-out brawls will leave stragglers in the dust.

# Endurance Mode has players battling an endless stream of enemies under a specific time limit.

# Post your scores online for bragging rights!

ANOTHER HANDS ON (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/07/nycc-09-invincible-tiger-hands-on-xbla/)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/02/invincible_tiger_lead.jpg

http://kotaku.com/assets/images/gallery/9/2009/02/thumb800x800_3254829930_22f06fa115_o.jpg

more pics here:

http://kotaku.com/photogallery/invincibletiger/

an interview with IGN:

Invincible Tiger First Details
The Legend of Han Tao is unveiled.

By IGN Xbox 360 Team
ADVERTISEMENT

Add one more game to the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network line up. Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao is a brand new beat 'em up with classic roots. Starring the derelict, drunken Han Tao, Invincible Tiger follows the anti-hero and the battle for The Star of Destiny. Namco Bandai is preparing to deliver the game this summer and gave IGN the first shot at learning more about this kung fu action title.

IGN: Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao takes place in a 1970s-era kung-fu action movie setting, complete with a film-grain look. Are there any particular films of that period that inspired you?

Robert Johnson : I think everyone on the team are big fans of all the Shaw Brothers films and of course Bruce Lee flicks. I would say "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin" and "Enter the Dragon" are two of our all time favorites.

IGN: What are some of your favorite games in the beat 'em up genre, and what did you learn playing them that you've applied to the development of Han Tao?

Johnson : Kung Fu Master, Final Fight, Double Dragon are just a few that come to mind. These are some of the best classic arcade fighting games ever made. Going back and playing these games helped inspire some of the classic gameplay elements you will find when playing Invincible Tiger: Legend of Han Tao.

IGN: We know that Han Tao, the eponymous main character, is something of an anti-hero (we first meet him as a derelict drunk). Is he capable of redemption? How did he get tangled up in the story of the game?

Johnson : I am a bit hesitant to go into detail as much of the storyline is about Han Tao's journey to redemption. This is something you will have to learn from playing the game.

IGN: Is Han Tao anything like Han Solo?

Johnson : The only real thing they share is the first name. Other than that, Han Tao does not have any similar qualities as Han Solo.

IGN: What sorts of moves and powers are available to Han Tao? Can he pick up items along the way to use as weapons?

Johnson : Han Tao is a Kung Fu master well trained in hand-to-hand combat and a master of the staff. As you advance through game Han Tao will have opportunities to pick up weapons and aquatic vertebrates to use against his enemies. Not only will Han Tao be able to use weapons but he will also acquire more combos and finishing moves.

IGN: Games like these are often more fun to play with a friend. Will Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao include co-operative play, both online and offline? If so, who will the secondary player control?

Johnson : I agree 100%, in fact we have a couple co-op multiplayer modes in the game so players can enjoy the game at home with a friend or online with people around the world. The secondary character's name will be revealed at a later time as he is part of the storyline. Stay tuned.

IGN: The 1970s were a golden era for ridiculous pants. Can we expect to see some crazy trousers in Han Tao?

Johnson : Even though the theme is 70's Kung Fu the setting is more along the lines of ancient China. As much as I would love to make a Kung Fu game with the main character wearing flared out bellbottoms and goldfish platforms, it will have to wait until next time.

IGN: When can we expect to see Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao come to Xbox Live Arcade, and how much do you expect to charge? Will the game ever make its way to the PlayStation Network?

Johnson : Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao is planned for both PSN and Xbox Live Arcade this summer. The price has not been set yet but we should have more info soon along with a big surprise.

dnpmakkah
02-10-2009, 05:01 PM
The game has some nice artistic style to it.

SadPanda
02-10-2009, 05:13 PM
At first glance I thought i was looking at LBP in that 1st screen.

Looks like it will be interesting, but I would prolly get Blast Commandos or whatever its called first.

cliffbo
02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
i originally posted it in the PSN thread but i found more info. the vid also made me think it could be quite fun

Bsack
02-10-2009, 05:50 PM
wow that game looks extremely fun.

Z
02-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Did anyone check out the similar Prince of Persia PSN game? It looks much more attractive to me than this. But this is fast paced and I don't know how PoP plays in that one.

Coded-Dude
02-11-2009, 03:14 AM
*waiting for rag doll kung fu*

Z
02-11-2009, 05:37 AM
It was confirmed for PSN already- in case this is news to any body. :)