PDA

View Full Version : EA makes most of their profit on PS3

SleazyBig slim
07-30-2008, 05:27 PM
609 Million in Revenue: up 41 percent from last year.
~95 Million in Losses, compared to ~135 Million in losses last year

Revenue By Platform (in millions):

PlayStation 3: 139
PC: 86
Xbox360: 81
PlayStation 2: 79
Wii: 57
PSP: 57
DS: 21

Shocking I know, especialy considering they've released more games for 360. PSP tied with Wii also suprising.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329234

http://investor.ea.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=88189&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1180823&highlight=

Segitz
07-30-2008, 05:34 PM
That really wonders me... So the PS3 is MORE casual than the 360... (I consider nigh on each EA game casual)

Wii is explained easy... They didn't release that many games for it^^

Viper
07-30-2008, 06:00 PM
This is just for the quarter and is reversed for every other quarter aside from this one.

The reason for the big boost this quarter is because of FIFA and UEFA. Those sold tremendously well in Europe (which is not only Sony's best market right now but also the most financially weighted).

The next quarter will have Madden, Tiger Woods and such and the X360 and Wii will move back ahead of PS3.

cliffbo
07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
This is just for the quarter and is reversed for every other quarter aside from this one.

The reason for the big boost this quarter is because of FIFA and UEFA. Those sold tremendously well in Europe (which is not only Sony's best market right now but also the most financially weighted).

The next quarter will have Madden, Tiger Woods and such and the X360 and Wii will move back ahead of PS3.

Viper, i don't know if you realize what you keep doing... lol... you do sort of dampen any good news...

AC!D
07-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Normally i would say PS3 owners were idiots for spending so much on EA but EA have thoroughly impressed me this year with Burnout and Bad Company.
Add to that great looking IP's like Mirrors Edge Dead Space, Spore, possibly Fifa 09 and Red Alert that i have already placed pre-orders for which is rare for me when it comes to EA. Well done EA and the CEO Riccitiello you kept your word.

GTAce
07-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Burnout and Bad Company
Both developed by other companies (Criterion & DICE).
The only game this gen that was developed by EA and impressed me to a certain degree was skate.. Wheres my SSX btw.?

LiquidEagle
07-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Didn't the next-gen SSX get cancelled in favour of that Wii one?

cliffbo
07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Didn't the next-gen SSX get cancelled in favour of that Wii one?

this is the sort of news for EA that may just make them rethink that strategy

AC!D
07-30-2008, 07:48 PM
The only game this gen that was developed by EA and impressed me to a certain degree was skate.. Wheres my SSX btw.?

Dont EA own Dice and Criterion?

OG_Monkey
07-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Oh yeah, there was supposed to be a new SSX coming on the 360/ps3. Forgot all about that

Kiwi
07-30-2008, 07:51 PM

Mirror's Edge is also DICE methinks.

LiquidEagle
07-30-2008, 07:57 PM
this is the sort of news for EA that may just make them rethink that strategy

No, they're actually lamenting that they banked so much on 360/PS3, and they're saying they should've gone with Wii.

Maybe they should have considered boosting the quality of their games, regardless of platform.

cliffbo
07-30-2008, 08:05 PM
No, they're actually lamenting that they banked so much on 360/PS3, and they're saying they should've gone with Wii.

Maybe they should have considered boosting the quality of their games, regardless of platform.

i'd have thought that the machine they made the most on would inspire them to increase that trend by making more effort :shrug:

LiquidEagle
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
i'd have thought that the machine they made the most on would inspire them to increase that trend by making more effort :shrug:

I think we've always expected too much from EA...

cliffbo
07-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I think we've always expected too much from EA...

i suppose we'll see soon with their latest batch of cross platforms games.

Domination
07-30-2008, 08:28 PM
609 Million in Revenue: up 41 percent from last year.
~95 Million in Losses, compared to ~135 Million in losses last year

Revenue By Platform (in millions):

PlayStation 3: 139
PC: 86
Xbox360: 81
PlayStation 2: 79
Wii: 57
PSP: 57
DS: 21

Shocking I know, especialy considering they've released more games for 360. PSP tied with Wii also suprising.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329234

http://investor.ea.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=88189&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1180823&highlight=

So why isn't there a Red Alert 3 if that's the case? Heck, why have they discluded the platform of any RTS game for that matter? :unsure:

Note of advice: If you aren't willing to support the platform properly upon it's success, then don't bother alluding to any numbers about how it has made you successful.

This news gets thumbs down :thumbsdow: :thumbsdow:

GTAce
07-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Dont EA own Dice and Criterion?

So what?

Viper
07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Cliff, I don't mean to in that manner. Just that the PS3 doesn't make them the most revenue on average and as far as profits go, it's at the lowest. If a thread is going to suggest something false, I'm going to say something about it.

EA reported huge losses recently due to not making profits off their HD games.

EA made $3.7 billion in revenue last fiscal year (using standard FY calendar). Far more than any other 3rd party publisher yet they tallied a loss of $454 million.

BahnNZ
07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Well to produce Red Alert for PS3 they'd have to custom build the engine for the new architecture from scratch. After doing all of that they'd probably only get 60K sales. C&C3 only did 110K on 360.

Just not worth the grief really, EA aren't a charity.

AC!D
07-31-2008, 12:47 AM
So what?

What do you mean so what? Thats like saying Sony sucks cause they dont do any good inhouse games because Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Polyphony, Incognito, Guerilla, Evolution studios etc make all their good games. You do realize all the big publishers buy dev studios right and no matter how you wanna spin this EA easily has the years best lineup. Oh i forgot add Mercs 2 and Lord of the rings conquest to that list of mine.

OmniStalgic
07-31-2008, 01:02 AM
What do you mean so what? Thats like saying Sony sucks cause they dont do any good inhouse games because Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Polyphony, Incognito, Guerilla, Evolution studios etc make all their good games. You do realize all the big publishers buy dev studios right and no matter how you wanna spin this EA easily has the years best lineup. Oh i forgot add Mercs 2 and Lord of the rings conquest to that list of mine.Throw some games out there...all I can think of is there recently announced First person game Mirror's edge, burnout, and all the sport titles.

GTAce
07-31-2008, 01:17 AM
But Sony made the platform, Sony makes the features the devs can use, Sony gives little dev teams the chance to make big projects.
Burnout was published by Activision iirc & Mercenaries was published by LucasArts and i think EA is the reason why Mercenaries 2 wont be as good as it could be, jesus a PS2 version? Wtf?
Almost every game EA developes (not publish) sucks, thats a fact.
They only buy out IPs and then getting all the praise for the games.
And yes EA MADE good games and i loved EA Big because of SHOX and SSX, but show me 5 games from EA that really rock.

PS: They ruined NfS with making it "kewl".... which makes me even more mad.

AC!D
07-31-2008, 11:20 AM
But Sony made the platform, Sony makes the features the devs can use, Sony gives little dev teams the chance to make big projects.
Burnout was published by Activision iirc & Mercenaries was published by LucasArts and i think EA is the reason why Mercenaries 2 wont be as good as it could be, jesus a PS2 version? Wtf?
Almost every game EA developes (not publish) sucks, thats a fact.
They only buy out IPs and then getting all the praise for the games.
And yes EA MADE good games and i loved EA Big because of SHOX and SSX, but show me 5 games from EA that really rock.

PS: They ruined NfS with making it "kewl".... which makes me even more mad.

You dont have to tell me how pathetic EA were in the past trust me i know. All im saying is that since the new CEO took over games are being given ample time for completion e.g The game you mentioned Mercs 2 was supposed to be released last year November but The new EA delayed it till Pandemic were happy with it. The devs for Dead Space went to managment with the idea for this new IP and EA gave the dev team 6 months worth of Company resources just to create a demo which EA inevitably liked and now we have what looks like the scariest game ever coming out on Halloween Judging by that creepy Twinkle Twinkle little star gameplay vid.
Another example is FIFA, although still not quite up to Pro evolution soccer standards in my my eyes, it still has improved a shitload. Spore got countless delays to make it right. Who do you think is funding the new idea for games like Mirrors Edge obviously EA and providing dice with more resdources and less risk to try out new IP's like this meaning if EA had never bought Dice they woulda probably never had the resources to make Mirrors edge and be stuck making Battlefield games for the rest of their lives. Those are just a few examples and in the past EA would have just released the games broken or glitchy like they did with past Madden on PS3 and Half Life 2.

I dont get your point about EA buying out IP's either cause obviously they started out as a sports game company. They wanted to expand their horizons by branching out into other genres which is ok as long as you nuture those devs and give them ample creative freedom which they didnt ias a company in the past. To me it seems like the new CEO hs changes this by bringing in Moore for the jaded sports titles to reinvigorate them and at the same time given their existing and newer devs like Bioware, Pandemic and Dice the resources and time tp produce special games. All im saying is give credit where credit is due at least they are trying to improve as a company.

ddaryl
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
There is only one question for EA

Where the fuck is our SSX and NBA Street !!!

AC!D
07-31-2008, 05:37 PM

I also wonder that cause they left a big gap for Ubisoft to enter with Shaun White snowboarding. As for NBA street, NFL street and FIFA street i have always felt those games should be included in the Fifa 09, Madden 09 and NBA Live 09 games cause they are a serious waste of money providing very little content. Major rip off if you ask me.

SleazyBig slim
08-01-2008, 02:59 PM
EA and Activision consale sales projections for the next year

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329610

Looks like they expect the PS3 to pick up steem.

By the end of the current calendar year, Activision believes the consoles will sell:

PlayStation 3: 8 million units
Xbox 360: 6-7 million units
Wii: 15 million units
PlayStation 2: 4-5 million units

ELECTRONIC ARTS(http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...FY08SupSeg.pdf)

Quote:
PlayStation 3: 9.5-11.5 million units
Xbox 360: 6-8 million units
Wii: 12-14 million units
PlayStation 2: 3.9-4.9 million units

OG_Monkey
08-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I also wonder that cause they left a big gap for Ubisoft to enter with Shaun White snowboarding. As for NBA street, NFL street and FIFA street i have always felt those games should be included in the Fifa 09, Madden 09 and NBA Live 09 games cause they are a serious waste of money providing very little content. Major rip off if you ask me.

NBA and NFL Street were always fun. They are actual games. Nothing differs from thier counterpart except the unrealism. So what you mean content?

Viper
08-01-2008, 05:05 PM
EA and Activision consale sales projections for the next year

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329610

Looks like they expect the PS3 to pick up steem.

By the end of the current calendar year, Activision believes the consoles will sell:

PlayStation 3: 8 million units
Xbox 360: 6-7 million units
Wii: 15 million units
PlayStation 2: 4-5 million units

ELECTRONIC ARTS(http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...FY08SupSeg.pdf)

Quote:
PlayStation 3: 9.5-11.5 million units
Xbox 360: 6-8 million units
Wii: 12-14 million units
PlayStation 2: 3.9-4.9 million units

I'll add my own predictions. It seems they are going by calendar year instead of fiscal year.

PS3 - 11 million (EA is close. 5.6 million already sold this year.)
X360 - 9 million (Again EA is closer. 4.2 million sold this year.)
Wii - 24-26 million (This is what they are on course for. 11 million already sold this year.)
PS2 - 8-9 million (Both way off. Already sold 4 million this year.)

AC!D
08-01-2008, 09:28 PM
NBA and NFL Street were always fun. They are actual games. Nothing differs from thier counterpart except the unrealism. So what you mean content?

I mean exactly what i said e.g in previous editions of Fifa for example there was extra content like 5 vs 5 indoor soccer which was later cut and then a seperate title like FIFA street comes out with a few tricks added to it and pretty graphics and you have to pay full price for admission. What a rip off! They should include these modes as extra content in the main games cause essentially they are just a different mode of the same game so why split them? Obviously to increase their bottom line which is wrong. They should rather include NFL street in Madden to provide more value for money. The prices these days make me feel like even FIFA isnt even worth it never mind Fifa street so why not combine them and give us more value for money instead of ripping us off.

OG_Monkey
08-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Meh. Maybe I just don't get it. To me like I said, NBA and NFL always deliver and for me, are actual games, not "add-ons". Fifa I don't know because I don't play either versions so yeah.

Segitz
08-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Meh. Maybe I just don't get it. To me like I said, NBA and NFL always deliver and for me, are actual games, not "add-ons". Fifa I don't know because I don't play either versions so yeah.

Since I can only tell from Fifa... those games are merely addons (I guess I'd say the same about NHL, NFL and NBA too)... The gameplay changes are mostly minute, graphics still "suck"... the only new thing every time is the rosters, which EA could release as DLC, but that wouldn't yield as much profit...

But then again, many people don't mind these small changes and deserve to be ripped off. I don't know

Chrome
08-02-2008, 01:55 PM

Since you're on that subject! where is my Fight Night Round 4 with balanced haymakers.!!!!

As a company EA are definatly getting better, they have impressed me with their PS3, XBox360 output personally. Taking over good companies always helps.

OG_Monkey
08-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Since I can only tell from Fifa... those games are merely addons (I guess I'd say the same about NHL, NFL and NBA too)... The gameplay changes are mostly minute, graphics still "suck"... the only new thing every time is the rosters, which EA could release as DLC, but that wouldn't yield as much profit...

But then again, many people don't mind these small changes and deserve to be ripped off. I don't know

Exactly the same with the titles EA Sports produces; doesn't differ from the EA Sports Big titles. So if people keep buying FIFA, Madden, and etc each year for "better graphics and a updated roster", they're cool with the street titles which to me, change and deliver more that the real titles. They're really just "different games"

jaxmkii
08-02-2008, 05:28 PM

Where the fuck is our SSX!!! and classic (pre ricer/armpit urban tracks)NFS
fixed

Jay Gee
08-02-2008, 07:34 PM
EA kind of dropped the ball (LOL u see what I did there?) with NBA Street: Homecourt, and totally went apeshit by disbanding EA Chicago (makers of Fight Night). After seeing that textureless shitfest they call Facebreaker, I'm more than convinced that they have a deathwish.