PDA

View Full Version : Hackers find a way to run PS3 retail games through a HDD

cliffbo
02-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Hackers find a way to run PS3 retail games through a HDD

PS3News have been successful with running PS3 Retail game back-ups on a PS3 Test from both Internal and USB HDD (along with DVD). Unlike PS2 and PS1 development systems, a PS3 Test won't play a 1:1 copy/scene release.

It only plays development copies, so the executables (EBOOT.BIN) had to be decrypted and rebuilt for them to load. However, as mentioned previously, the executables also had to be patched to eliminate some disc checks.

VERY cool being able to run PS3 Retail Games via HDD though, and now PS3News can tinker with game data to find a potential flaw in how a game handles included files!

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-109880.aspx

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3Dev/PS3_NAND_Extractor_Update__More/

jaxmkii
02-11-2008, 07:35 PM
do you want to risk bricking your system?

Jay Gee
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
*puts on his dancing shoes he wore last week*
Hopefully PS3 owners will be smarter than this and continue to purchase the games they WANT to play. It'd be stupid to steal something they're only remotely interested in, then have a $400-$600 investment turned into shit right before their eyes.

Sephiroth_VII
02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Uhm, it's the test PS3, which means that it's the model sent to developers for testing purposes(duh). It's meant to be able to play games from the HDD, the only news here is that someone in the hackin g community got a hold of one.

This won't mean anything to us before they find a flaw, or find a way to copy the contents of the flash to a normal PS3.

OG_Monkey
02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
woot...keeping the hacking coming....keep it coming.....

And im sure just like the PSP was so brickable when this first started, if this goes well im sure someone will create more and more stuff blah blach, an unbricker blah blach, Pandora's HDD, Blu-ray, CD, DVD, flash drive, electricity, etc....lol, Pandora's Electricity

Red_Eyes
02-11-2008, 10:06 PM
So um, like some 'hackers' were able to play test-game with a test-unit? Which was what developers were suppose to be able to do anyway? It's the same as someone stealing a debug unit to play a debug game. There's suppose to be a show of impressive hacking skills?

Zer0-Sum
02-11-2008, 11:32 PM
No hacking, it fucks up the community. Screw hacking PS3's. I hope Sony freaks and locks this crap down, Just by games used if you can't buy them new. Cheap skates....

Sephiroth_VII
02-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Homebrew has great potential on PS3, just look at what we've squeezed out of the PSP.

Personally, I'm not at all interested in ISOs. On PSP, the only ISO I've ever played is the demo of GoW, because it was never released outside of the US.

Zer0-Sum
02-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Homebrew has great potential on PS3, just look at what we've squeezed out of the PSP.

Personally, I'm not at all interested in ISOs. On PSP, the only ISO I've ever played is the demo of GoW, because it was never released outside of the US.

Homebrew is one thing. That is encouraged all ready through the auspices of Sony by way of Linux. I know they should open it up more, but hacking is not they way to do it. And all I have seen on hacked PSP's are emulators for Sega and Nintendo. Big deal? have never heard of any really great games made by homebrew projects. If there are, please show me.

Sephiroth_VII
02-11-2008, 11:47 PM
The team behind No Gravity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPwqYUsk_50) makes a lot of great games, and the only thing holding the community back from doing more than it is is the lack of horsepower.
Another great accomplishment is making the PSP OS open-source. The CFW is totally customizable via plugins, and even replacements for the XMB, something Sony should encourage themselves.

Homebrew is one thing. That is encouraged all ready through the auspices of Sony by way of Linux. I know they should open it up more, but hacking is not they way to do it.
So, you suppose we wait for Sony to magically change their attitude, allow read/write access to flash1, preferably flash0, and enable the PS3 to run unsigned content?

Sorry, but I think my money is on the hackers.

Zer0-Sum
02-12-2008, 12:00 AM
That may be true about Sony. Who knows? Them letting mods onto PS3 by way of UT3 is a good sign. maybe they will open it up more. I hope so. The PSN Store would be a great place for Indy devs to sell Indy games.

But in the end you all can hack your PS3's if you want to, but mine is staying nice and clean away from that stuff. hacked PS3's will most likely end the ability to get updates. And besides, all the games that are coming for PS3 are more than enough gaming for me.

Sephiroth_VII
02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
CFW updates for the PSP are now done via network update, and it's no harder than updating to the newest official FW. They're usually out a few weeks after the latest official one, but no one cries about that(3.90 M33 came out last week). It has a recovery mode allowing you to unbrick your PSP(Sony, take notice!), and in the same recovery menu you can choose to switch back to ordinary network updates, and then install the latest Sony FW.

Anyway, if you're fine with missing out on an even better system compatible with all media formats, alternative menus, etc: it's your loss :)

Newboi
02-12-2008, 12:34 AM
CFW updates for the PSP are now done via network update, and it's no harder than updating to the newest official FW. They're usually out a few weeks after the latest official one, but no one cries about that(3.90 M33 came out last week). It has a recovery mode allowing you to unbrick your PSP(Sony, take notice!), and in the same recovery menu you can choose to switch back to ordinary network updates, and then install the latest Sony FW.

Anyway, if you're fine with missing out on an even better system compatible with all media formats, alternative menus, etc: it's your loss :)

QFT.

CFW 3.90 anyone?

Sephiroth_VII
02-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Love it forever.

I was like: "OMG are you serious!?" when the network manager popped up during the installation and asked me if I wanted to download the official FW for the installation. That's some l337 skills!

Nameless
02-12-2008, 01:09 AM
If the PS3 ever gets something like HDD Loader I'm down...

CreativeWriter
02-12-2008, 02:09 AM
This is only interesting to me if it means 5-10 years from now we see higher-res textured mods (Oblivion style) running on PS3/4...

Shadow Voa
02-12-2008, 03:42 AM
Go hacking go!!! I support the community all the way!!!

You gotta risk to gain, my buddy modded his Wii and now we're playing Brawl a month a head of time. Point is, it's good for the community and the potential for greater things is there. And who doesnt like getting what they want for free? That's right, keep the good news rolling!!

OG_Monkey
02-12-2008, 04:31 AM
hell yea

yoshaw
02-12-2008, 06:16 AM
:lol: You two need to be sacked.

OG_Monkey
02-12-2008, 07:38 AM
sacked...like...tackled?

Sephiroth_VII
02-12-2008, 10:54 AM

You gotta risk to gain, my buddy modded his Wii and now we're playing Brawl a month a head of time. Point is, it's good for the community and the potential for greater things is there. And who doesnt like getting what they want for free? That's right, keep the good news rolling!!

...weren't you the one killing me over the fact that I downloaded FF XII before it released, though I had the CE preordered as well? :whip:

Shadow Voa
02-12-2008, 08:07 PM
^ Sorry Seph I cant hear you Im too busy playing a modded version of Super Smash Bros Brawl...

;) Yeah but you bought the game so its ok, I will buy this game too, seriously though you were right before. God knows the games Id pirated before then and emulators and all that other stuff. It's all good, if people dont like pirating games then no one is forcing you... but dont expect people who can do it to sit ideally by and do nothing.

PS3 is a swiss army knife remember, Im sure the pirating blade is in there... now lets pull it out and use it!

Sephiroth_VII
02-12-2008, 08:25 PM
:lol:

Smokey
02-13-2008, 09:07 AM

OMG thats so cool like..........

Segitz
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
It's like...

PS3 users don't even have to mod to import^^

OG_Monkey
02-13-2008, 06:19 PM
True. Maybe that was ONE way Sony tried to stop all this piracy stuff. Most PSP/PS2 games, well at least anime wise maybe, were only in Japan and would take another 1-2 years to come to the US or not at all. So now, they can just import with no prob.

Are blu-ray disc still expensive as hell? I remember just ONE disc being like $30

Segitz
02-13-2008, 06:46 PM
True. Maybe that was ONE way Sony tried to stop all this piracy stuff. Most PSP/PS2 games, well at least anime wise maybe, were only in Japan and would take another 1-2 years to come to the US or not at all. So now, they can just import with no prob.

Are blu-ray disc still expensive as hell? I remember just ONE disc being like $30

I checked the prices yesterday (recordables that is, pressed discs are WAY less expensive) and they cost about 8 (incl vat) for a single layer in Germany... A good burner will set you back about 300 (Plextor). The prices are falling fast, and I am quite tempted to get a BD-R soon^^