PDA

View Full Version : Dany No Likey PS3's Bad AI - PS3 No Get SC: Conviction

kagai
08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
From an interview with Dany LePage via gameplayer.com.au. Original Article here: Gameplayer.com.au Splinter Cell: Conviction Interview (http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/PREVIEWS/PREVIEWGAME/tabid/1484/Default.aspx?CID=bb1443ed-30f8-4eb2-b212-8926111caf49&v7Pager=3)

So, Conviction is confirmed for PC and Xbox 360. But what about the other consoles? Double Agent was a 360 exclusive for a whole week. On this issue, Danny could give us a firm answer. ďItís NEVER gonna come out on the PS3 or the Wii.Ē Itís a logical decision. Nintendoís console simply doesnít have the graphical horsepower, and he candidly told us how the PS3 canít handle AI nearly as well as the 360.

I thought the PS3 could do great AI. Is this just some positive 360 propaganda/PS3 dissin' on Dany's (or, through him, Ubisoft's) part? Seems unnecessarily inflammatory or is he right? I'm hoping one of the more technically savvy among you can shed some light on the veracity of his statement. Later.

Epix
08-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Dany soundy a little stupid. Dany soundy likey he no know how to program AI.

GTAce
08-13-2007, 06:41 PM
:laugh: :lol: Good one!

Funny stuff!

Passive
08-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Poor Dany, he lack AI

Sephiroth_VII
08-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Dany not like cell!! Cell is stupid more-than-one-core chippy, and the cores are strange, and Dany not know how to write AI for it. three six zero is good console, chippy is easy.

:duh:

OG_Monkey
08-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Who the hell is Dany? He knows nothing

hybridofsteel
08-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Why can't he just be honest and say that he's lazy and the PS3 lacks satisfactory sales figures.

Luis
08-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Don't worry, Mr. Lepage: my money will go to Hideo Kojima's pockets. Not that you ever had a chance with your mehtastic series though.

Oh, and in before Conviction is inevitably ported no matter what. This is Ubisoft.

makeitlookreal
08-13-2007, 07:00 PM
AI can run GREAT on the PS3.

Of course if you don't care to optimize your code it will not work well at all.

Raitei
08-13-2007, 07:06 PM
danny so.. fire bad.. women good.

Passive
08-13-2007, 07:28 PM
danny so.. fire bad.. women good.

LOL!

then why does he like the 360 so much?

kagai
08-13-2007, 07:33 PM
You guys are hilarious! :lol:

kagai
08-13-2007, 07:43 PM
After thinking about it, I think it is more a problem of the money (resources) going into a PS3 version not equaling the money they would get out of it. So, instead of just saying we don't want to commit the resources necessary to put out a great PS3 version, they just blame the hardware. I just don't understand the badmouthing!?!

GTAce
08-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Its Ubisuck lol.

It isnt the first time they say some shit like that.
They already said "Splinter Cell isnt achievable on PS3" lmfao.

OG_Monkey
08-13-2007, 07:56 PM
really, if they wanna make games for the 360 go ahead. Everyone already knows Tom Clancy Games are always best on the xbox anyway. But just dont come up with lame excuses as to why your not doing it.

Viper
08-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I can't imagine why he'd lie. He gains nothing from it. If they just don't want to port it to PS3 then a simple, "We don't want to port it to the PS3" would suffice.
What are the chances he speaks some truth?

I agree that I've read many times the PS3 is well suited for AI but perhaps the method they are doing AI doesn't work well on PS3.

Cp, is there any circumstances where the AI could run better on X360 than PS3? Or is this guy just talking out of his money hatted ass?

curryking1
08-13-2007, 08:10 PM
I agree that I've read many times the PS3 is well suited for AI but perhaps the method they are doing AI doesn't work well on PS3.

I'm guessing that's the case.

rob the slob
08-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow, you guys are angry. Its just video games guys. :evillaugh

Epix
08-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Wow, you guys are angry. Its just video games guys. :evillaughFail.

curryking1
08-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Really? People don't usually laugh like this when they're angry, if I remember correctly ;)

masteratt
08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Fucking developers, god-damn it man stop turning the industry into a huge ball of fanboys.

Just say "It's coming out on PC and X360 only" What the fuck is the point of fuelling fanboys?
Jeeesus.

And of course I don't believe the PS3 can't do AI (maybe in this game it can't but that's as always programmer's fault) as MotorStorm still has one of the best AIs I've seen in a game.
The offline game feels like online, that's how good the AI is.

lips
08-13-2007, 08:18 PM
maybe our little goldlocks Dany finds the porridges of cell "too hot" and wii "too cold"

masteratt
08-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Ubisoft should just save us the headache and announce they are working with Microsoft only now.

GTAce
08-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Fail.

http://xs218.xs.to/xs218/07331/FAILRep.gif

Why i knew i going to see rob here?

yoshaw
08-13-2007, 08:49 PM

You wish, slob! :laugh:

woundingchaney
08-13-2007, 09:02 PM
If we are taking a traditional PC/360 based AI code it most likely isnt going to convert well to the PS3 (wasnt there something on branch prediction and the architectures - hell its been so long since we have talked about this stuff). There has been a good bit of talk about AI being ran on the Cell some very interesting estimates on spu usage and local stores for AI etc (and even the architecture being more capable to a given extent) but I still think right now much of its implementation is in its infancy (I remember a thread at B3D on this very issue). I dont think the man is fibbing its simply an opinion, some people prefer architectures over others its as simple as that.

I think the half the internet blows every statement made out of proportion and then the fans draw the line in the sand and the speaker is either a moron or the second coming of Christ.

Passive
08-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Really? People don't usually laugh like this when they're angry, if I remember correctly ;)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4339/58430057371719a437map2.jpg

curryking1
08-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Man... second coming has been soooo overused since that label was placed on the PS3 because of that crazy advertisement lol! ;)

Edit - ^Wtf! Lol!

KRA
08-13-2007, 09:10 PM
If we are taking a traditional PC/360 based AI code it most likely isnt going to convert well to the PS3 (wasnt there something on branch prediction and the architectures - hell its been so long since we have talked about this stuff). There has been a good bit of talk about AI being ran on the Cell (and even the architecture being more capable to a given extent) but I still think right now much of its implementation is in its infancy (I remember a thread at B3D on this very issue). I dont think the man is fibbing its simply an opinion, some people prefer architectures over others its as simple as that.

I think the half the internet blows every statement made out of proportion and then the fans draw the line in the sand and the speaker is either a moron or the second coming of Christ.

he is a moron.
if he would say that he prefer xbox architecture over ps3 one it would be ok with me.
but this is just shit.

Viper
08-13-2007, 09:15 PM
ďItís NEVER gonna come out on the PS3 or the Wii.Ē Itís a logical decision. Nintendoís console simply doesnít have the graphical horsepower, and he candidly told us how the PS3 canít handle AI nearly as well as the 360.

Notice what part is in quotes. The developer only said in his own words that it wasn't coming to PS3 and Wii. The AI portion was clearly stated by the writer. The developer could have explained the whole situation but it's not stated what he said or anything other than the writers own words.

The writer never explains what the developer actually but simply summed it up in a very controversial fashion.

You guys need to be slamming the interviewer and not the interviewee.

woundingchaney
08-13-2007, 09:18 PM
he is a moron.
if he would say that he prefer xbox architecture over ps3 one it would be ok with me.
but this is just shit.

Why because he has an opinion?? It not like he came out and said he hates the PS3 and no one should buy it or other moronic things like that. Not only this but the statement is made from the writers view and not a quote. He most likely would even expand on the issue or has but only got a brief quote here and there is always the possibility of his statement being grossly exaggerated, mis-interpreted and/or sensationalized.

Of course I suppose there is always the possibility of him being a moron but he is probably educated, successful (or reasonably successful) and capable.

LOL ok Viper you beat me to it.

Sephiroth_VII
08-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Didn't notice. :duh:

Sorry Dany, I'll hack gameplayer.com now :cry2:

KRA
08-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Notice what part is in quotes. The developer only said in his own words that it wasn't coming to PS3 and Wii. The AI portion was clearly stated by the writer. The developer could have explained the whole situation but it's not stated what he said or anything other than the writers own words.

The writer never explains what the developer actually but simply summed it up in a very controversial fashion.

You guys need to be slamming the interviewer and not the interviewee.

i can slamme anyone i want :)

LaLiLuLeLo
08-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Well! I can see where this thread is going.