PDA

View Full Version : Warhawk goes Gold! 100 best BETA players awarded.

Sephiroth_VII
08-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi Everyone – It’s been a while since I’ve made a post, but since some of you guys posted comments wanting me to jump back on, *and* the very interesting pricing debate/discussion that has been going on recently, well … here I am with a couple of important updates!?

First off, has Warhawk gone “gold”??

Hells Ya! The PSN and Blu-ray versions have gone “GOLD,” completely finished and will go on sale August 28th … just a few weeks away! We’re all really proud of the game, and those of you who got a chance to participate in the BETA know why. We can’t wait to get online with all of you so we can beat the hell out of each other!

Next, what does Warhawk cost?

Ready for this? One Million dollars!

Ok, now for reals … If you didn’t already know, SCEA is taking an exciting new approach with Warhawk – making it available for download directly from the PlayStation Store *and* releasing it at retail simultaneously. Each one has a different price. Why different pricing? A couple of reasons: first off, we wanted to give all of you the option, the retail game is more of a premium version with some expanded video content, traditional package and manual (this seems to mean a lot with some of the gamers I have spoken to), and a Jabra Bluetooth headset bundled with the game – all for $59.99!

We’re also looking at including a set of Ginsu knives, and an extra-jumbo tub of Oxy-Clean!

Alright … I’m lying about the knives and the Oxy-Clean … Oxy-Clean does work really well though and I highly recommend it.

Anyhoo, back on track ….

The PlayStation Store version will be $39.99 and I’m really glad that SCEA came through with a “good value” price for this – it’s the right thing to do.

I’m a firm believer in the Google founders’ moto “Don’t be Evil” and the $39.99 PlayStation Store price is a good example of that.

Warhawk is a great looking, great playing multiplayer game but at the end of the day, it’s a multiplayer-only game and if you decide not to get the premium version at retail with the headset, this is a great option for you – at a great price.

Like I said previously, those of you who’ve had a chance to play Warhawk, know how good it is, and why a game that is fun to play for 70+ hours offers more gameplay than a lot of single player games that cost a great deal more.

…and yes, that’s just one of the statistics that is tracked by Warhawk’s Stat system. During the BETA we saw users log crazy high numbers – 70 was by far *not* the largest … most users had over 30 and we had to ultimately turn the servers off!. Who knows how high those numbers would be if we were to keep the BETA open?

Speaking of the BETA, I’d like to let you guys know that we were watching the Warhawk Statistics database during the BETA, looking for the top players. We ultimately used the Bonus Points category since it covers all play modes, levels, vehicles, troops, weapons, kill types, etc.

So…for the top 100 players, we have prepared a “Top-BETA-Players” award that you will be receiving in the mail soon. It includes a really nice print of the box-art, signed by the team *and* a very, very limited edition metal Warhawk Wings pin! So guys and gals, please keep your eyes out for this in the coming weeks!

Well that’s all for now. Hopefully that was informative.

I think for my next post, I’d like to show all you guys some of the great work that our IT-Team has been doing “behind-the-curtain”. Since Warhawk is a multiplayer-only game, for those of you who choose to play online, I think it would be good for you to see some of the server work that we have done since the BETA closed.

As always – Rock on!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1226/1001211077_a25fd3626b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/1001211077/)http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1286/1001211091_6e6c7ca9fd_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/1001211091/)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1428/1002089952_c124b972aa_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/1002089952/)
I want one of those!!! :cry2:

Luis
08-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Yay! (http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php?p=1637961&postcount=1363)

Sephiroth_VII
08-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Sorry VG, but I thought it deserved it own thread.

Luis
08-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm not saying it doesn't :-p

OmniStalgic
08-04-2007, 12:37 PM
It did, and I'm glad I read that little tidbit. Finally something to play in the Summer!!!

Would've been nice if it was mid-August tho, but hell at least it'll replace my Lair purchase.

Good stuff...

yoshaw
08-04-2007, 03:04 PM
One million dollars :laugh: Gawd I'm broke!

darkwing
08-04-2007, 04:31 PM
I sure would love to get this game but not if it runs at only 720p. When I heard about the PS3 I bought into the hype and bought a $2800 SXRD 60" tv and a 7.1 home theater system (HTIB because I'm lazy) and I sure am sick of Sony not living up to their promises.

And to think I used to be the biggest Sony fanboy there was. No defending this, though.

dnpmakkah
08-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Most fun I've had with the PS3 so far. It's a pick up and play type of game and it will consume you.

LaLiLuLeLo
08-04-2007, 04:47 PM
What about the 100 worst? *raises hand* WE should get some kind of consolation price, like.. a hanky.

supagohan
08-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Dammit the part that makes me mad is that i KNOW i didnt make it to the top 100...

Jay Gee
08-04-2007, 04:51 PM
I sure would love to get this game but not if it runs at only 720p. When I heard about the PS3 I bought into the hype and bought a $2800 SXRD 60" tv and a 7.1 home theater system (HTIB because I'm lazy) and I sure am sick of Sony not living up to their promises.

And to think I used to be the biggest Sony fanboy there was. No defending this, though.
You've got TEN YEARS of Sony coming out with 1080p titles. Stop crying already. Nobody TOLD you to buy all that nonsense to play these games. You could've easily waited for LCD TVs to get cheaper in price before you made a purchase, with your surround sound system as well. I'm gonna be playing it on a
$300 480i set with two 6w speakers. Do you see my bawling like an infant?

masteratt
08-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Damn Sony promised PS3 would be 4D!

What a fucking rip-off!!! :mad:

LaLiLuLeLo
08-04-2007, 04:53 PM
:cry2::cry2::cry2:BAWLIIINNNN!!:cry2::cry2::cry2:: cry2:

darkwing
08-04-2007, 04:56 PM
You've got TEN YEARS of Sony coming out with 1080p titles. Stop crying already. Nobody TOLD you to buy all that nonsense to play these games. You could've easily waited for LCD TVs to get cheaper in price before you made a purchase, with your surround sound system as well. I'm gonna be playing it on a
$300 480i set with two 6w speakers. Do you see my bawling like an infant?

Not the point. Sony told us how great the PS3 would be. Remember all the 120 fps nonsense? While I like the system and feel it has the best future of the current 3 they still can't put out what they promised. Why should I reward them with mediocrity?

If the PS3 is as good as they say, we should see all games in 1080p@60 instead of a bunch of excuses.

I still have my hope, though. I look at the 10 fps full auto 2 and compare that with how fluid Virtua Tennis 3 is. I know VT isn't as visually complex, but it's a huge step up in quality for a Sega game. Here's hoping.

And LCD tvs? Bleh. I am a huge LCOS fan. I love my tv to death, but the PS3 is what clinched the sale. I bought it in Oct and got my PS3 in Dec. I was planning to wait until Sept or Oct of this year to buy a tv but decided to take the plunge. Now I bought my first house so no new TVs for a while. :)

yoshaw
08-04-2007, 05:03 PM

Those claims you made are preposterous. You seem to have not done your homework or something, no offense.

I wouldn't dare plunk down that amount of dough just on a whim because I thought, "OMG! PS3 is teh always 1080p. Lemme empty my pockets right now."

Jeez louise. Sony did say PS3 is 1080p and it IS 100% 1080p compliant last time I checked.

But I know where you stand with this BS of I spent for 1080p. Tell me Champ. Where did they ever say it is ALWAYS ON 1080p with every single thing? Bring me that quote and I'll take your post seriously. Right now its just screaming unreasonable and FUD.

Sephiroth_VII
08-04-2007, 05:05 PM
DEVELOPERS are the ones who decide what resolution a game is going to run at. If a dev wants to make their game very detailed, use advanced AI, physics, HD-textures and release it before Duke Nukem Forever comes out, they'll have to choose.

Even if PS3 was 10.000 times more powerful, there might be some games running at 720p because the developers would rather use the available horsepower for something else.

Also, the same can be said about 120 fps. The developers fell (and I agree) that there are better things to use the processing power for than running at such a ridiculously high framerate. It's hard to see the difference anyway.

sikkinixx
08-04-2007, 05:21 PM
What about the 100 worst? *raises hand* WE should get some kind of consolation price, like.. a hanky.

or a moist towelette :D

LiquidEagle
08-04-2007, 05:36 PM
haha! I got one of those pins anyways!! :-D

darkwing
08-04-2007, 05:39 PM
But I know where you stand with this BS of I spent for 1080p. Tell me Champ. Where did they ever say it is ALWAYS ON 1080p with every single thing? Bring me that quote and I'll take your post seriously. Right now its just screaming unreasonable and FUD.

Well, remember when Sony said that the HD era starts with them? Only they can bring us 1080p? They defined HD as 1080p and aren't delivering, so I guess next gen starts with PS4.

The PS3 wasn't the only reason I bought this set, but it was the last thing on a list that made me decide to get it when I did. I've always vehemently defended the things I buy and love, which are mainly Sony, Apple, and General Motors. However, there's no excuse for the kind of hype Sony put on this and then failed to deliver on.

I think Kutargi's Reality Distortion Field™ is even more powerful than Steve Jobs's!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13578

There's no point in continuing the conversation further. You and I won't change each other's minds. I believe in the free market and until Sony gives me what I really care about (games without lots of jagged lines) then I won't bother giving them my money. I guess it's my loss.

darkwing
08-04-2007, 05:41 PM
DEVELOPERS are the ones who decide what resolution a game is going to run at. If a dev wants to make their game very detailed, use advanced AI, physics, HD-textures and release it before Duke Nukem Forever comes out, they'll have to choose.

Even if PS3 was 10.000 times more powerful, there might be some games running at 720p because the developers would rather use the available horsepower for something else.

Also, the same can be said about 120 fps. The developers fell (and I agree) that there are better things to use the processing power for than running at such a ridiculously high framerate. It's hard to see the difference anyway.

I agree, and of course it's up to the developers. I guess my point is that I see more visual flare in Super Stardust HD than I do in Resistance. At least Resistance runs at 60 Hz, but they weren't able (with their current programming ability) to up the resolution. I believe the PS3 will achieve 1080p on all games within a couple years, so I guess I'll be happy then. :)

After all... if we don't care about graphics or resolution why don't we all just save money and buy a Wii?

SleazyBig slim
08-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Woo hoo looks like I get an award:pinky:

I wish.

LaLiLuLeLo
08-04-2007, 05:57 PM
liah!!!

Sephiroth_VII
08-04-2007, 08:36 PM
I agree, and of course it's up to the developers. I guess my point is that I see more visual flare in Super Stardust HD than I do in Resistance. At least Resistance runs at 60 Hz, but they weren't able (with their current programming ability) to up the resolution. I believe the PS3 will achieve 1080p on all games within a couple years, so I guess I'll be happy then. :)

After all... if we don't care about graphics or resolution why don't we all just save money and buy a Wii?

Sorry, but no, that's highly unlikely. My point is that unless developers are forced to use 1080p, like they're forced to use at least 720p, there will be other things that they'd rather use the power on than resolution.

This could be true for the next generation as well, if Sony doesn't decide to force developers to use 1080p in all PS4 games.

Jay Gee
08-04-2007, 09:53 PM
LOL @ Comparing Shmups to FPS.

KnightRiderX
08-05-2007, 09:27 AM
WAY TO FUCKING GO, INCOGNITO. WAY TO FUCKING GO.

yea go ahead, reward those who got a chance to play in the beta and screw over those who didn't even get a chance to see if they were worthy enough.

Jay Gee
08-05-2007, 02:49 PM
U Mad?

LaLiLuLeLo
08-05-2007, 05:22 PM

yea go ahead, reward those who got a chance to play in the beta and screw over those who didn't even get a chance to see if they were worthy enough.

....You can't seriously be pissed.
I'm really stunned.

Danji
08-05-2007, 06:22 PM
....awkward....

TrueVCU
08-05-2007, 06:43 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Einland/Waaaambulance.jpg

Jay Gee
08-05-2007, 07:05 PM
If you're really "worth enough," dude, just prove it at the end of August.

LaLiLuLeLo
08-05-2007, 07:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Einland/Waaaambulance.jpg

hahahahaha

KnightRiderX
08-05-2007, 07:17 PM
....You can't seriously be pissed.
I'm really stunned.

yea I am serious. I don't know you can't see me being pissed as not a plausible reaction.

WOOOOW TrueVCU. How long it took u to find that one. Or u just had it in the woodworks waiting to bring it out?

Jay Gee
08-05-2007, 07:24 PM
It's a damn pin and some whack ass autographs. Get over it.:///

TrueVCU
08-05-2007, 07:41 PM
yea I am serious. I don't know you can't see me being pissed as not a plausible reaction.

WOOOOW TrueVCU. How long it took u to find that one. Or u just had it in the woodworks waiting to bring it out?

I would've been quicker, but photobucket was down for maintenance.

On that note

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Einland/loser.gif

GTAce
08-05-2007, 08:02 PM
:lol:

LaLiLuLeLo
08-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Hahhahaaahah.

Seriously KnightRider, stop being a big kid about it, it's such a petty thing to get mad over. I mean, some seriously irrelevant shit. Just enjoy the damn game when it comes out.

Of all the things to take personally.

KnightRiderX
08-05-2007, 09:11 PM
damn u kids need to grow up already.

TrueVCU
08-05-2007, 09:16 PM
damn u kids need to grow up already.

Said the one wailing about how he doesn't get free shit off of a beta he didn't get into.

Sephiroth_VII
08-06-2007, 10:51 AM
We need to grow up!? I'm at a loss for words.

section
08-06-2007, 11:17 AM
When i grow up, I want to be a principal or a caterpillar.

Fazares
08-06-2007, 01:34 PM
i saw a gamespot-like thread for a few seconds...

Segitz
08-06-2007, 01:40 PM
But the yellow caterpillars, which roam certain big coal mines^^

LiquidEagle
08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Yikes...

Glad I got my pin from the Sony rep, I most definitely was NOT in the top 100... talk shit about my Warhawk skills and I'll beat'cho ass though.

Maybe.

Warhawk is fun. :)

Leedogg
08-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I was in the top 100 :look:

I think.....

who am I kidding I sucked LOL

indiekid4
08-06-2007, 07:09 PM
damn...so it seems Warhawk is a hard game to play?

LaLiLuLeLo
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Not really...There's a bit of a learning curve with the flight (or with any motion controlled game, but you can calibrate the sensitivity) but some people just played it more hardcore than the rest of us.

LiquidEagle
08-06-2007, 07:14 PM
No, it's not a hard game to play, I consider myself to be pretty good at it personally.

It's just that ranked games were hard to come by in the Beta (initially, at least), and it was especially hard to find stable ranked games where I could actually play and rank up.

TrueVCU
08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
And then there was the odd session when you'd log in and get shanked to death within 3 seconds :P

LiquidEagle
08-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Three Speech -- Warhawk Hands-on Preview (http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=524)

Not really anything we didn't already know, but whatever :-D

OMG!!! except this!

A great feature of the disc based version is the ability to play the game on a number of PS3s at the same time using only one disc – perfect for LAN parties.

BRILLIANT!

LaLiLuLeLo
08-06-2007, 07:28 PM
And then there was the odd session when you'd log in and get shanked to death within 3 seconds :P

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING A HORRIBLE SHOT. :laugh:

A great feature of the disc based version is the ability to play the game on a number of PS3s at the same time using only one disc – perfect for LAN parties.

Fuck, I might have to buy the retail version just for that. Shit man, I already have a headset.

LiquidEagle
08-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Fuck, I might have to buy the retail version just for that. Shit man, I already have a headset.

Yup, I think that solidified a disc purchase for me... 'cause I dunno yet if my friends will be buying this game and I'd like to have the packaging (the boxart looks really cool), the Blu Ray bonuses, & the extra headset...

but it is really convenient having the game on the hard-drive... :(

LaLiLuLeLo
08-06-2007, 07:34 PM
DAMMIT making me choose!

TrueVCU
08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Just get the hard copy, then sell the headset for PROFIT!!!!

Leedogg
08-06-2007, 08:18 PM
I'll probably end up getting the disc version also, then I'll end up having three headsets (logitech headset, motorola 350 bluetooth, and then the Jabra bluetooth)

Does anybody know if you can use two headsets on Warhawk at the sametime? Incase, you have two people playing online on the same system, but are on different teams.

LaLiLuLeLo
08-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I know, I'll get the hard copy, and sell the headset to my roommate when he gets a PS3.

Birakon
08-06-2007, 08:19 PM
imo, 59.99 is overpriced for a multiplayer only game with a cheap headset

LaLiLuLeLo
08-06-2007, 08:40 PM
It's a good headset. In fact, I think it's the same one I have. And what makes me want the hard copy more is, the headset is 40 bucks by itself, so you're kind of getting a 40 dollar headset and a 20 dollar game by that math.. we'll see.

raVen
08-06-2007, 08:47 PM
imo, 59.99 is overpriced for a multiplayer only game with a cheap headset

Did you beta test said multiplayer only game?
Probably not because if you did you'd more than likely think it is worth the price I was hoping for 39.99 expecting 49.99 but the game is damn good and I'll gladly pay 59.99 for it (need a new headset anyway).

I'll be getting that pin and autograph spent most of my time in the top 5 I look forward to owning all of you guys. :devious: :thumbl:

LaLiLuLeLo
08-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Crap. But yeah, I have no question (played the beta), it's worth the price of admission.

Nameless
08-07-2007, 01:04 AM
I'll probably end up getting the disc version also, then I'll end up having three headsets (logitech headset, motorola 350 bluetooth, and then the Jabra bluetooth)

Does anybody know if you can use two headsets on Warhawk at the sametime? Incase, you have two people playing online on the same system, but are on different teams.

Not sure if you can pair two BT headsets simultaneously... * I will have to try that.*

I will buy the retail version, because it's a good value for a BT headset. ($20bucks) If the PSN version was $29.99 I would think twice, but $40 for the PSN version sounds a bit steep; I will take the headset for the value.

Carlos
08-07-2007, 01:08 AM
I'm buying, because of the pricing.

Most games are priced higher than 60 bucks.

xbdestroya
08-07-2007, 02:06 AM
Not the point. Sony told us how great the PS3 would be. Remember all the 120 fps nonsense? While I like the system and feel it has the best future of the current 3 they still can't put out what they promised. Why should I reward them with mediocrity?

For the record, PS3 and 120fps have nothing to do with each other. The Western press botched that up and created a story out of nothing after Kutaragi made a presentation on video/display technology at an industry trade show. What Kutaragi was saying, is that soon TVs will display at 120hz (which is true); it didn't have anything to do with gaming or PS3. But Gamespot and gang saw Kutaragi on stage, saw slides of framerates, and published a story.

LiquidEagle
08-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Has anything been released on what extras will be on the disc version of Warhawk as well? I'd love to see some behind the scenes stuff to pack that mofo :-D

masteratt
08-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Ah another example of fine journalism :thumpsup:

Jasonps3
08-08-2007, 05:39 PM
As I mentioned in my last post, I wanted to give you guys a bit of a “peek-behind-the-curtain,” to show you our sweet Warhawk server setup.

Those of you familiar with Warhawk already know that the game features a very unique server method that we call “Integrated Game Server” or IGS for short — the industry needs more acronyms don’t you think

The Warhawk IGS method means that instead of us forcing players to be connected to the SONY “mothership” for any and all games, we instead let players host their own servers on their own PS3s. This is fairly unique and it enables a couple of really nice benefits.

First, since Warhawk is a global online game, our IGS method scatters game servers quite literally into player’s homes all over the planet — the US, China, Europe, Australia, and Japan! No matter where you live, what time you want to play, or what language you speak, you’ll always be able to get your game on.

Secondly, this helps with latency. If you haven’t heard, Warhawk is a fast game, a very fast game, so we wanted to ensure you had the best chance of finding servers with good ping times. We also wanted to make sure people could host *and* play on their own servers. After all, why should you have to connect to a server a gazillion hops away when you know that there are Warhawk servers running in your state or city? Possibly on your same ISP? Maybe even friends in your neighborhood or buddies in your dorm?

Hence our desire to develop an IGS system for Warhawk.

All that said, we still want to make sure that there are always an abundance of wicked-fast Ranked Dedicated servers available for players. The images that accompany this post were taken by our very talented IT team here at SCEA. And yes, what you’re looking at is an enormous server cluster for Warhawk…of rack-mounted PS3s!

During the public beta, many of you wanted *way more* Ranked-Dedicated servers to play on so you could level-up and earn awards, rank upgrades, etc….

Well…ask and ye shall receive!

In addition to players being able to host their own servers, 32-player “dedicated” servers for your clan practices or 24-player “player” servers, SONY has made a great commitment to all of our Warhawk players by staging Warhawk Server clusters similar to this one all over the world.

The system that our IT team engineered for Warhawk is truly killer and we couldn’t be happier with the setup — and hopefully players will be stoked too once the game launches. Just for the record…I am fairly confident that our IT team is not comprised of Autobots.

For those of you who participated in the beta, you may remember toward the end that some players started to “spoof” the official SONY server names — shame on you. I will find you all online and shank you repeatedly or snipe you in the crotch!

So…in the beta forums you all asked for a way to identify official SONY servers from player servers…Again, your wish is granted.

When Warhawk launches, all official servers are displayed with an eye-pleasing blue color in the server list. This gives players a really quick way of picking which server they want to connect to.

Alright, this post is getting pretty damn long so I gotta wrap it up.

The last thing I want to mention, and those of you who participated in the beta already know this, is that we don’t force game match-making on to our players with Warhawk. When you log-in to Warhawk, you get a server list…a *global* server list (with customizable filters of course), just like many of us have come to love from years of PC gaming. *You*, the player, get to choose the server you want to play on. If you don’t see a server out there that has exactly what you want…then launch your own.

And yes, you can play on your own server too…even in 4-way split screen.

Well…hope this gives you a bit more info on Warhawk’s server system and setup. If you have any questions please post them in the comments and I’ll try to answer as many as I can.

Rock on!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/08/08/behind-the-curtain-the-warhawk-servers/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/997953788/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/997953862/

The ps3's are hacked into the matrix.

curryking1
08-08-2007, 05:45 PM
So basically... the PS3 online gaming stuff is as awesome as PC online gaming! Awesome! Great find man :D

Jay Gee
08-08-2007, 05:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/HitParade/997953862_656ca51475_o.jpg
ZOMFG!!!

TrueVCU
Towerz Of Powerz!!!111!!!!!11

GTAce
Awesome! lol

Thats what i call a cluster baby!

GUNDAMSEED
08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
that looks so awesome lol.

warmachine
08-08-2007, 08:22 PM
SKYNET...

All this PS3s would give a pretty nice performance spike for Folding@Home... oO

Domination
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Ok, that was pretty brilliant. Actually, Kutaragi mentioned this awhile back in discussion with Yamuchi (Polyphony Digital) GT5 dedicated Cell servers. PsiNext covered it on the front paged a long while back. It makes perfect sense, and the great thing about it is the users are the ones benefing from it at no extra cost. Now that's dedication. :)

I wonder, though, if every dedicated online game has to have their own cluster for this.

qzak
08-08-2007, 08:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/HitParade/997953862_656ca51475_o.jpg
ZOMFG!!!

WANT

LaLiLuLeLo
08-08-2007, 08:52 PM
WANT

Electric Bill from 180 PS3's running simultaneously, plus the cooling system to keep them all from bursting into flames: DO NOT WANT

GTAce
08-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I want all those PS3s and get rich! lol

xbdestroya
08-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Ok, that was pretty brilliant. Actually, Kutaragi mentioned this awhile back in discussion with Yamuchi (Polyphony Digital) GT5 dedicated Cell servers. PsiNext covered it on the front paged a long while back. It makes perfect sense, and the great thing about it is the users are the ones benefing from it at no extra cost. Now that's dedication. :)

I wonder, though, if every dedicated online game has to have their own cluster for this.

Indeed!

In terms of dedication though, I think what's great here is that the games these clusters focus on can be switched up quite rapidly once game-preference patters change.

Anyway, this is totally awesome just in general; completely reinforces KK's original PS3:PC vision.

masteratt
08-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Can someone elaborate on this please?:

And yes, you can play on your own server too…even in 4-way split screen.

Surely he doesn't mean online 4player split-screen?

Is that even possible on PS3 (since only one user can be signed in at a time)?

user friendly
08-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Well, the 4-player split screen is possible. Used it during the beta. You can turn each screen off or on, on the fly. It was all on one account though, which I think is what you were asking was possible.

Here are some more of the amazing cell powered clusters.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/userfriendly420/997953788_01bf388d5c_o.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/userfriendly420/997953812_dda51f4600_o.jpg

I know the links were put up but these cant be missed.

masteratt
08-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Well, the 4-player split screen is possible. Used it during the beta. You can turn each screen off or on, no the fly. It was all on one account though, which I think is what you were asking was possible.
4 player offline?
Why did he mention that during an article about servers?

I was asking if it's possible to play 4-player online.

And then asked if that's even possible on PS3 (play online with more than one person on one PS3) as only one PSN account can be logged in at any time (where-as on X360 every controller can sign in as different users).

Domination
08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Indeed!

In terms of dedication though, I think what's great here is that the games these clusters focus on can be switched up quite rapidly once game-preference patters change.

Anyway, this is totally awesome just in general; completely reinforces KK's original PS3:PC vision.

That makes a lot sense. That most likely is the case.

I guess I shouldn't be, but after all these years,those guys contiue to astound me with the way they continue to approach the cutting edge.

Sephiroth_VII
08-08-2007, 09:55 PM
4 player offline?
Why did he mention that during an article about servers?

I was asking if it's possible to play 4-player online.

And then asked if that's even possible on PS3 (play online with more than one person on one PS3) as only one PSN account can be logged in at any time (where-as on X360 every controller can sign in as different users).

Yes, you can play up to 4-players split-screen online. You all play under the same PSN account, which means that you all have the same screen name, but it works very fluidly, and players can jump in and out of a game on the fly.

I used it myself together with some of my friends, and even in the unstable beta, there were no problems.

masteratt
08-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Holy fuck that's great.

But same name? Meh.
Ah well.

What about stats- How does that work on 4player online?
Say my friend gets a kill and since he is on my account- Does it contribute to my user rank?

GTAce
08-08-2007, 10:10 PM
I think it will be like in TimeSplitters FP, you have "guests" with your name and it wont effect your stats.

LiquidEagle
08-08-2007, 10:12 PM
You can't play split-screen online in ranked games.

masteratt
08-08-2007, 10:12 PM
You can't play split-screen online in ranked games.
Dang.

Well thanks for clearing that up fellas.

Sephiroth_VII
08-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Yeah, that would make it unfair. However, their kills will show up in the "unranked stats" section in your profile, though it doesn't mean anything to your rank.

qzak
08-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Electric Bill from 180 PS3's running simultaneously, plus the cooling system to keep them all from bursting into flames: DO NOT WANT

Monthly electric bill: $10,000.

Having more PS3s than you: Priceless

Leedogg
08-14-2007, 04:32 PM
QUESTION: Who are the top 100 BETA testers?

ANSWER: Ok…you ready for this? Click, CastleKingSide, Catalytic, Gergination, Aeaas, Merovee, II6FUII-wHaM, Filth_Flannigan, PlayerBeyond, SolidC213, DBWsGreatOne, Taisch, Hakoom, ROYA, ph8al, WillKills_M, tonythetiger1, theONE73, Coryphaeus, XxGRAND-CHAMPxX, Riz09, Canez, Flankhim, ninerfanj343, Jags71, DVSone, IComeInPeace, DRAKE_CHAMBERS, BudLeeOne, Enebreated, csMadMan, RickTheRipper, NoVaPH1R3, G-Man420, Liquided, ArtemisBane, dude23, Kremar, ucigasu, switchitup813, Dangerman, GnuUzir, Laeq, Simi, Hand_Banana, Wunsock, Dubbinenglish, K-X, Yixian1, IRP-OBMAS, inxshambles, Fupa, Pazonal, ethan893, FrozoneUSMC, Pnoiflipnation, DarkArcani, Ace_Martian, Solidsnakejej, RockStarAe, Stiles2417, AbaraiRenji, FayroeFox, AfoBanjo, Slevin_Kelevra, Kman1086, Requiem911, EZCheez, Bulletproof92, Air-Reez, jhop22, Wyji, Cooter203, oneofthosedays, IIHoTsHoTII, Snoits, Laughed, KingZ777, kylegtheassman, TRUEWON415, Takiwara, musashi2036, boondock_saint88, Draicus, TicTak, Riffraff, gunhoo, FT-Cheddar, danthecrazyman, TheWolface, Dman2000000, PriViTePyLe, sonofa2

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/08/14/warhawk-faq/#more-173

congrats Solidsnakejej!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theres alot of other questions answered too

LaLiLuLeLo
08-14-2007, 04:34 PM

Having more PS3s than you: Priceless

Until they foreclose your house. Hahhahahaha. Not to mention that amount of power consumption would draw a lot of unwanted attention from the city, presuming you had enough wiring in your house to run that many PS3s.

Epix
08-14-2007, 04:53 PM

Having more PS3s than you: PricelessThat's crazy buts it's actually pretty close to reality. The 180 PS3's running at peak power (380 Watts) 24 hours a day will run you around $115k a year in power. Or about $9600 a month. Ouch!

Sephiroth_VII
08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Congrats solidsnakejej!!!

QUESTION: Can you play split-screen on a Ranked game?

ANSWER: No…and I know this will be a point of contention so please hear me out on this. When we first started developing and testing the ranked servers, we *didn’t* block split screen. What we observed is players using a second controller as a remote observer…not really playing but rather just kind of cheating the system. This allowed them to know where more of the enemies were without actually being part of a squad and communicating … they were just cheating. As a result, they were growing up the ranks faster than other players that weren’t cheating – and that isn’t fair for those of you playing legitimately to rank-up. I hope you guys can understand out decision.

Still the same... Thankfully.

LaLiLuLeLo
08-14-2007, 07:08 PM
That's really cool. I'm glad they're doing what they can to balance the game.

Jay Gee
08-14-2007, 07:47 PM
LMAO @ Incog devs letting players wrap nooses around their own necks. Nice way to catch jerk ass cheaters in the act. And on a Beta to make matters worse. It still shocks me the lengths fuckwits go to claim they're good. I bet they were the loudest ones going "I don't cheat! I'm just too good!" and other noob gibberish.

What I'd really like to see (on this game and KZPS3)? A scarlet letter for cheaters. For the first offense, you don't get banned, you get branded. Let everybody else playing know that you're a fucking joke and you shouldn't be trusted. You can get booted out of games no questions asked, and you rank up slower in games if at all. God, that'd be sweet.

Epix
08-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Can someone post the entire Q/A for those who may be blocked from the playstation site?

Luis
08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Sure:
Warhawk FAQ

+ Posted by Dylan Jobe // Game Director, Warhawk

In an effort to try and answer as many questions as I can about Warhawk, I’ve compiled this Q&A. Fair warning, it’s very long, but I know a lot of you guys have questions, so I hope this helps!

QUESTION: Is the headset a limited time kinda thing?

ANSWER: Not to my knowledge…it’s something that we feel adds a lot of value to the retail version of the game. But to be honest, this is a Marketing decision and at the end of the day it will depend on things like the contract with Jabra, Sales, etc. You know, Marketing stuff.

QUESTION: Who are the top 100 BETA testers?

ANSWER: Ok…you ready for this? Click, CastleKingSide, Catalytic, Gergination, Aeaas, Merovee, II6FUII-wHaM, Filth_Flannigan, PlayerBeyond, SolidC213, DBWsGreatOne, Taisch, Hakoom, ROYA, ph8al, WillKills_M, tonythetiger1, theONE73, Coryphaeus, XxGRAND-CHAMPxX, Riz09, Canez, Flankhim, ninerfanj343, Jags71, DVSone, IComeInPeace, DRAKE_CHAMBERS, BudLeeOne, Enebreated, csMadMan, RickTheRipper, NoVaPH1R3, G-Man420, Liquided, ArtemisBane, dude23, Kremar, ucigasu, switchitup813, Dangerman, GnuUzir, Laeq, Simi, Hand_Banana, Wunsock, Dubbinenglish, K-X, Yixian1, IRP-OBMAS, inxshambles, Fupa, Pazonal, ethan893, FrozoneUSMC, Pnoiflipnation, DarkArcani, Ace_Martian, Solidsnakejej, RockStarAe, Stiles2417, AbaraiRenji, FayroeFox, AfoBanjo, Slevin_Kelevra, Kman1086, Requiem911, EZCheez, Bulletproof92, Air-Reez, jhop22, Wyji, Cooter203, oneofthosedays, IIHoTsHoTII, Snoits, Laughed, KingZ777, kylegtheassman, TRUEWON415, Takiwara, musashi2036, boondock_saint88, Draicus, TicTak, Riffraff, gunhoo, FT-Cheddar, danthecrazyman, TheWolface, Dman2000000, PriViTePyLe, sonofa2

QUESTION: Does the game have Split-Screen Online?

ANSWER: Yes – 2, 3 and 4 way online and off-line. We also provide a server option that admins can set that controls whether or not players can be connected via split screen and yet another server admin option that controls whether or not split-screen players can be on opposing teams. If you are hosting a competitive game or clan match or something, you may want to make sure that your players aren’t “screen-hunting”. And yes, these options are available if you host your own player, dedicated or ranked dedicated server.

QUESTION: Can multiple PSN accounts be logged-in at the same time during split-screen gameplay?

ANSWER: No…When you engage split-screen, the Warhawk real-time creates a temporary guest account and adds a little circle with a number inside it for which player you are. For example, if you jumped in on my PS3 for split screen action, I’d be “TheGoatAss” and you would be “(2)TheGoatAss.”

QUESTION: Will there be future downloadable content in the future?

ANSWER: The technology behind Warhawk was designed from the ground up with expandability in mind – very “data-drive” for those uber-tech enthusiasts. We have nothing to announce right now but rest assured that if the player-community wants new content, we’ll be develop it!

QUESTION: Does Warhawk support Keyboard or Mouse?

ANSWER: Nope…not for game control anyway, just the keyboard for text input and stuff like that.

QUESTION: If I run a Warhawk server on my PS3 is it independent of the SONY servers?

ANSWER: Yes…the only connection that is maintained is for your PSN buddies, incoming messages, stuff like that. As an interesting bit of trivia, the first few days of the public BETA we didn’t have a single SONY server running – but it didn’t matter because there were soooo many players hosting their own servers!

QUESTION: Can you play on your PS3 while you host a game server on the same PS3?

ANSWER: Yes…we call this a “player server” and this mode supports 24-players *and* up to 4-way split.

QUESTION: If I host my own server, how many players can I support?

ANSWER: Short answer is it depends on your connection speed/bandwidth. When you choose to host a game or set of games, Warhawk first “pings” out to what we call bandwidth servers around the globe (which one you test to depends on which country you live in). Anyhoo, it is at that point we then do a really quick series of bandwidth tests to determine how many players you will be able to handle. We spent quite a bit of time looking at the bandwidth requirements to make sure that the games that you host are not out of your league with regard to the bandwidth needed. We got a lot of comments during the BETA about players that were hosting 24 or 32 player games when they didn’t have the bandwidth to do so … this resulted in a pretty crappy game experiences sometimes. Our updated bandwidth requirements should resolve a lot of this and we’ll be monitoring it and changing them if we need to.

QUESTION: Thanks Dylan, but that didn’t really answer the questions…how many players??

ANSWER: Ok, that was a bit of a ramble but it at least lets you know what’s going on behind the scenes. For me at home, I have a standard cable modem with Comcast and I was hosting 24 player games. If you’re at school (college dorm or something) on a network you’ll probably be hosting up to 32 players … but the net is what the net is and you all know how it can change like the weather. If you have a really bad connection, then you will be hosting 8 or 16 players. Sorry … we have to protect the player community from people hosting slow servers that just piss players off. That said, if you connection is bad, you’ll still be able to *play* in a 24 or 32 player game, just not host one of that capacity.

QUESTION: How many of the maps support 32 players?

ANSWER: All maps…we worked really hard to make sure that the game would support the MAX player count in all levels – not just a subset.

QUESTION: I work for an ISP…can we host a Warhawk Server?

ANSWER: Sure…when you setup the server, you can give it your vendor name and tag it with a server message … in case you want to gratuitously promote that “Penetrode’s ISP now features 43% more awesomeness” There is of course a max character length on the server message so please no manifestos.

QUESTION: Does Warhawk support the XMB buddy list?

ANSWER: OMG…Yes, thank you for asking but you didn’t really have to . Of course any “buddy” that you have in the XMB, will show up in your “Warhawk Buddy Page”. From there, you will see if they are online, and what game they are in. We also added a quick join from the buddy list so you can instantly hop into any game your buddy is in. Or, you have the option of linking directly to the stats server from your buddy list. This way you can always keep tabs on which weapons your friends are using, which maps they play the most, etc.

QUESTION: Does Warhawk Support Clans?

ANSWER: Yes…you can form a clan, give your clan a prefix tag [4 characters], your clan can have a motto, leader…and yes the leader must make invites into the clan, you have access to a separate clan mail/message that can be used to coordinate practices or matches, and lastly you can use your clan list just like the XMB buddy list to jump right into their game or retrieve their statistics.

QUESTION: Does the game support more than 1 head set connected to the same console?

ANSWER: No… you can only bind 1 headset in the XMB and Warhawk uses whichever headset you have active.

QUESTION: If I buy the retail version, do I have to have the Blu-ray in my PS3 to run Warhawk?

ANSWER: Yes…”Reluctant Hero” asked about this Wednesday but sorry man…but hey, one of the many advantages of the BD is that when you power-up your PS3, you can boot directly into the game.

QUESTION: Can you turn the HUD off?

ANSWER: No … sorry “MrCamo”.

QUESTION: How is Chaff deployed?

ANSWER: “TTP” asked about a conversation that we had at E3 regarding chaff. Right now, you must select Chaff from the WeaponCross and then press L1 to deploy…just like in the BETA. We have toyed around with changes to this, one of which you and I discussed at the show. Nothing has been decided though. I will say this, and this came up during some of our review sessions with the long-lead media, and that is that we have greatly enhanced the way missile scrubbing and the aerobatics system works so that Chaff is not primarily used for defending yourself when in hover mode. When you are in the air, you can now perform your aerobatics more easily than you could in the beta. So … this ends up being the preferred method of defense. Think of chaff as a get out of jail free card, especially when you are hovering in a Warhawk.

QUESTION: Does Warhawk support VOIP channels?

ANSWER: Not exactly…I will say the ‘subscription’ method in Resistance is pretty damn slick though. What you do get is a per player control as to whether or not the voice is transmitted from that player – think of it as a kind of patch board. If you are the leader of a squad with Bob, Jimmy and Bruce, then you can just patch them in and turn everyone else off. Additionally, lets say that your buddy Evan is the leader of another squad and you want to be able to talk to him but not the troops in his squad. Then simply patch him in and you’re all set. Hopefully that answers your question “9158.”

QUESTION: Game-wise, what is different between the Blu-ray version and the PSN version?

ANSWER: Gameplay-wise they are identical.

QUESTION: When is Warhawk being released in Europe, Japan, Australia, China, Korea etc?

ANSWER: All I can say is that we have incredibly talented teams in all those territories and they are working very diligently to get Warhawk ready and ultimately, announce a release date. But I do *really* hope that you guys can understand that announcing the release date in those territories is kind of *their* thing and not mine.

QUESTION: Will a weapon from Resistance:FoM appear in Warhawk?

ANSWER: No…not sure where that rumor started “Lothar”. But while we’re on the topic … the Laark would be a wicked great indirect-fire weapon. The Insomniac guys always have top-shelf weapon design…among other things.

QUESTION: Can you play split-screen on a Ranked game?

ANSWER: No…and I know this will be a point of contention so please hear me out on this. When we first started developing and testing the ranked servers, we *didn’t* block split screen. What we observed is players using a second controller as a remote observer…not really playing but rather just kind of cheating the system. This allowed them to know where more of the enemies were without actually being part of a squad and communicating … they were just cheating. As a result, they were growing up the ranks faster than other players that weren’t cheating – and that isn’t fair for those of you playing legitimately to rank-up. I hope you guys can understand out decision.

QUESTION: What do I need to turn my PS3 into a server?

ANSWER: Nothing…buy Warhawk and that’s it. You will need a good connection though if you want to host a lot of players.

QUESTION: During the BETA, there were times when the game would crash – Is that fixed?

ANSWER: LOL….yes! We wouldn’t have shipped if it was still “crashy.”

QUESTION: Will there be an option to join local servers, just in your country?

ANSWER: Yes…while we wanted to make sure that players got to choose the exact server they jumped into, we *totally* realized that if the game takes off, which we hope it does, that players might be simply overloaded by the server list. So, more to your point “Shadow_Dancer,” you can filter by region, language, game type, ping, max rank, etc.

QUESTION: Does Warhawk support a “Party System” like Resistance:FoM?

ANSWER: Thanks for clarifying “Holy_Diver” … unfortunately no, we do not in the same way. When you are playing split-screen we drop the whole group in to the game but I’m pretty sure that’s not what you were looking for.

QUESTION: Can you use any headset with Warhawk?

ANSWER: Yes…the Jabra that’s included is a good headset but you might already have one, or maybe still have the USB SOCOM headset. They all work.

QUESTION: Are the Warhawk Servers “Worldwide”?

ANSWER: Yes, All territories can play together on the PSN.

LaLiLuLeLo
08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
QUESTION: Are the Warhawk Servers “Worldwide”?

ANSWER: Yes, All territories can play together on the PSN.

And free of charge.

Epix
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
QUESTION: Does Warhawk support a “Party System” like Resistance:FoM?

ANSWER: Thanks for clarifying “Holy_Diver” … unfortunately no, we do not in the same way. When you are playing split-screen we drop the whole group in to the game but I’m pretty sure that’s not what you were looking for.:(

solidsnakejej
08-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Wonder when I'll get the package:pleased:. Can't wait to play it again.

masteratt
08-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Can someone post the entire Q/A for those who may be blocked from the playstation site?
They block people from the site?
What did you do or are you at a work place or something?

I was gonna say, Sony doesn't fuck around when it comes to moderating their services.

Read the Q&A word by word (okay i skipped some technical crap) and had a smile on my face all the way- Great game.
Good interview too.

Epix
08-14-2007, 11:28 PM
They block people from the site?
What did you do or are you at a work place or something?

I was gonna say, Sony doesn't fuck around when it comes to moderating their services.

Read the Q&A word by word (okay i skipped some technical crap) and had a smile on my face all the way- Great game.
Good interview too.At work.