PDA

View Full Version : The HDD upgrade thread!

Derrick Barra
07-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Guys I know this is huge fail, but I was attempting to replace my 20gig hard drive on my PS3 with a 160gig. I opened the flap (after putting my OS on another Drive) and was attempting to remove the blue screw that holds the Hard Drive in place.

For some reason (even though I was twisting it the right way [to the left]) the screw wouldn't come off, and after I kept trying the screw has actually lost all of the "ridges" in which the screw driver connects into and now I'm completely unable to remove the Hard Drive since there is no way to unscrew it out of place!

What I'm asking for is for you guys to tell me anything, anything at all that would help me resolve this dilemma. My PS3 is sitting on my dinning room table and I'm sitting here helplessly!

Luis
07-16-2007, 06:59 PM
How about carefully applying a drop of glue with the tip of your screwdriver, letting it solidify while keeping the screwdriver inside and attempting to unscrew it then? Otherwise, you'll have to break the screw and that can be very risky.

I don't know if it'll be useful or not, but you can phone Sony or ask at the store where you bought your PS3 if you don't want to take any risks. Since the hard drive swapping is described in the user manual, any problem you could have with it might be supported as well.

Anyway, if you're going to break it, be very careful of course. And better wait until you get a few replies, as I'm afraid I can't be more helpful.

Derrick Barra
07-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Well I bought my PS3 on Ebay but I'd rather not break the warranty. I'm googling like crazy right now trying to find somebody that has had this same problem.

user friendly
07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
There are drill bits that can unscrew a stripped screw head. It's like a reverse drill bit. Just be careful if you do it because a screw that small can give you problems. VG's idea would probably work.

DofD
07-16-2007, 07:04 PM
While I haven't tried this with my PS3, screws usually tighten clockwise and loosen counter clockwise. Did the screw turn at all?

But in any event... You've got a few options on getting the screw out. There are special screw drivers with a special head that are used to get screws out that are in this position. You can try using a small pair of locking jaw pliers (visegrips) to grasp the whole screw head and unscrew it that way. Using a dremel or such you can cut a notch across the screw so you can use a slotted screw driver. Or using a low rpm drill you can drill the screw out.

Good luck and cheers,

DofD

karibu
07-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Don't know enough english so, I did a little drawing what you should do.
I've done this several times at my old job, nut mind you that this might damage HDD for it takes a bit hiting.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/kar1bu/hammertime.jpg
Basically you use flat screwdriver and hammer with it a new "ridge" to screw, gently of course we don't want to HDD broken. When srewdriver gets enough grip(?) to srew, you know what to do.

D3adcell
07-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Be sure you apply enough pressure so that you are actually unscrewing it and not just stripping the screw.

GTAce
07-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Don't know enough english so, I did a little drawing what you should do.
I've done this several times at my old job, nut mind you that this might damage HDD for it takes a bit hiting.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/kar1bu/hammertime.jpg
Basically you use flat screwdriver and hammer with it a new "ridge" to screw, gently of course we don't want to HDD broken. When srewdriver gets enough grip(?) to srew, you know what to do.

Doesnt effect that the guarantee?
I mean you "damage" the screw when you do this, or not?

EDIT: Oh i see, the screw is already "damaged" sorry my bad.

Derrick Barra
07-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Karibu I just tried your Idea and it didn't work, that sucker won't get pierced, I just end up mashing it more into the Hard Drive enclosure.

And DofD the screw didn't turn at all. I tried a some grips my dad had lying around but they were too big to grab onto the screw. I'm starting to go slightly crazy trying to remove this damn thing, but I have to remain calm...

karibu
07-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Karibu I just tried your Idea and it didn't work, that sucker won't get pierced, I just end up mashing it more into the Hard Drive enclosure.

And DofD the screw didn't turn at all.

Damn, usually screws are alot softer that srewdrivers =/

Did you try small enough pliers(?goddamn don't know these names of these man's toys), with jagged "jaws"?
You need to have some power in your arms though.

KnightRiderX
07-16-2007, 07:38 PM
u might be able to still unscrew it in its current state (depending on how much of the ridges is gone). When u unscrew it (counterclockwise), make sure to push the screwdriver into the screw as much as u can cause u gonna need a strong tension between the screw and screwdriver. The screw is design to follow a certain path so it don't matter if u push it in or not, it'll still screw out. All u need to do is break that initial bond. After that, it'll come of easily.

Derrick Barra
07-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Let me put it this way, there are no more ridges on this screw. I'm not a pussy and I've worked on plenty of PC's in the past (I'm a non-pussy geek?). And I've tried out the pliers I have in my house, but if I'm desperate enough I'll go buy some needle nose pliers from Ace and see what they have to say about this little bitch.

I'll update again tonight, I have to go to work pushing carts now, see ya!

karibu
07-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Hmm, take it to a PC repair shop and see if they can do something,
they usually have seen everything.

yoshaw
07-16-2007, 08:14 PM
May I suggest you take it to a professional who can do the job for you? I'm sure there might be atleast someone who could help you. Try calling your local EB or Gamestop guys. Or any small electronics/hardware store nearby.

Hey, why not try a PC repair shop? They might be able to help you with the damaged screw w/o damaging the hdd. Must have had experience them chaps, u know. Try it man.

Good luck!

LaLiLuLeLo
07-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Listen carefully because I have the answer to your problems.

I had the same dilemma, that shit is fastened tight as hell. Screwdriver was getting me no where. Get your hands on some needle-nosed pliers and twist that sucker off with your mighty manly strength. That should do it. Regular pliers might be too clunky to get a workable grip.

jaxmkii
07-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Well I bought my PS3 on Ebay but I'd rather not break the warranty. I'm googling like crazy right now trying to find somebody that has had this same problem.

yea i had the same problem when i put my 250 gig in.

just grab the sides of the screw with a good pair of needle nose plyers.

jaxmkii
07-17-2007, 03:08 AM
Hmm, take it to a PC repair shop and see if they can do something,
they usually have seen everything.

better yet take it to an auto tech they have more XP with dealing with the impossible.

LaLiLuLeLo
07-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Me and Jaxmkii already got your answer. the needle nose pliers for the win

jaxmkii
07-17-2007, 03:10 AM
50k UDS of SNAP-ON tools FTMFW!!!

edoshin
07-17-2007, 04:08 AM
Try an epoxing an allen wrench into the screw. An epoxy that has a good grip on metal should hold alot better than superglue. I wouldn't try hitting it with anything and if I am not mistaken, the screw is a bit too small to drill into. That may be you only real homebrew solution. That and a needlenose plier. Why not try both simultaneously.

masonite
07-17-2007, 06:57 AM
needle tips or, similar to what edoshin said, a little araldyte and push the screwdriver head in just before it dries to get the imression of the screwdriver in there. Just mae sure you don't use too much....or there'll be trouble...

Segitz
07-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Lol...

Loctite rocks, doesnt it^^

dendj55
07-17-2007, 11:57 AM
May I suggest you take it to a professional who can do the job for you? ...Try calling your local EB or Gamestop guys.

:lol: yoshaw called EB/Gamestop employees professional :lol:

Derrick Barra
07-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Well guess what!? I come home from work, and it turns out my brother, with nothing else besides his raw manliness managed to pry the screw loose with one hand while simultaneously eating ice cream with the other. Final Fantasy victory dances ensued by many, I opened the hard drive enclosure and secured my prize. Thanks to all that posted and got me through this potential shit storm!

yoshaw
07-17-2007, 08:23 PM
:lol: yoshaw called EB/Gamestop employees professional :lol:

LMAO :lol: My sooooo bad!! :laugh: that was indeed blasphemy to even say such a thing lol

Congrats Derrick, Enjoy the upgraded HDD :)

Smokey
07-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Well guess what!? I come home from work, and it turns out my brother, with nothing else besides his raw manliness managed to pry the screw loose with one hand while simultaneously eating ice cream with the other. Final Fantasy victory dances ensued by many, I opened the hard drive enclosure and secured my prize. Thanks to all that posted and got me through this potential shit storm!

did you get up him for eating icecream near it???????

karibu
07-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Go get some more problems with your PS3, your photos are hilarious :D

BTW, by brother you mean your little sister, you noodle arm you ;)

Luis
07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
ROFL! Congratulations, Derrick :laugh:

EvilTaru
07-18-2007, 03:35 PM

LOLZ.

Luis
11-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead and giving it a new title :cowboy:

So today I finally upgraded from the standard 60 GB drive to a 320 GB one. Even though the screws were slightly tough to deal with, the process was easy and hassle free, although it took quite long to do. The restoration left my system as it was, only with more HDD room. Yay!

Z
11-21-2008, 02:50 PM
nice. I don't see why some would bother upgrading their HDD to something like 120G or something. if you'll upgrade, go for as much space as you can. I don't think anyone would want to upgrade again after a few months. if I ever upgrade, I will go with at least 320G.

LaLiLuLeLo
11-21-2008, 02:50 PM
Sweet! I have the same size. How much usable space is it? mine is 298GB/GO I think.

Luis
11-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Same here. Stupid formatting. Although it wouldn't work without a file table :pinky:

Raitei
11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
yeah, probably not

until i hear more retail games release on ps3, im fine with my stock. Also,when the movie store comes to UK

AC!D
11-21-2008, 05:06 PM
I also uprgraded to a 320GB HDD and boy was that screw a bitch!!!!
Wasnt impressed with losing almost 30GB's either!

I upgraded my HDD to 16MB cache running at 7200rpm. Apparently the HDD that comes with your PS3 purchase comes with a 8MB cache at 5400rpm.
Does anyone know if the difference in rpm can cause PS3 heating probs or is it negligible?

Segitz
11-21-2008, 05:28 PM
This does NOT come from formatting!!! AGAIN from the top

HDD producers don't use binary to describe the size (i.e. 1GB = 1000MB), but computers always use binary (1GB = 1024MB). So the difference is:

320x1000^3/1024^3 -> 298.03GB

to

320x1024^3/1024^3 -> 320GB

jaxmkii
11-21-2008, 07:45 PM

And DofD the screw didn't turn at all. I tried a some grips my dad had lying around but they were too big to grab onto the screw. I'm starting to go slightly crazy trying to remove this damn thing, but I have to remain calm...

:spit: oh god... use plyers man!

better yet take it to a auto tech we deal with stuff like this daily. tip him a 20

Raitei
11-21-2008, 07:51 PM
dude got the screw out a year ago thanks to his brother :P

Red_Eyes
11-21-2008, 09:20 PM
I also uprgraded to a 320GB HDD and boy was that screw a bitch!!!!
Wasnt impressed with losing almost 30GB's either!

I upgraded my HDD to 16MB cache running at 7200rpm. Apparently the HDD that comes with your PS3 purchase comes with a 8MB cache at 5400rpm.
Does anyone know if the difference in rpm can cause PS3 heating probs or is it negligible?
Fast harddrive are built in a way so that the fast rpm doesn't cause it to explode. So don't worry.

Kiwi
11-22-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead and giving it a new title :cowboy:

So today I finally upgraded from the standard 60 GB drive to a 320 GB one. Even though the screws were slightly tough to deal with, the process was easy and hassle free, although it took quite long to do. The restoration left my system as it was, only with more HDD room. Yay!

Cool. Did you end up getting PlayTV in the end?

Luis
11-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Cool. Did you end up getting PlayTV in the end?

It doesn't seem like they're going to release it out of the UK :( At least for the time being. I'm emailing SCEE but I'm not getting any replies.

It's one of the main reason why I got a bigger HDD. I planned to fill it with TV series and whatnot and record things when I wouldn't be at home, but... :cry2:

Kiwi
11-22-2008, 01:36 AM
What? I thought they were simultaneously releasing it here, over there, and in France and Germany? Most of the preview shots and vids were for it working in the other countries!

Segitz
11-22-2008, 06:47 AM
It doesn't seem like they're going to release it out of the UK :( At least for the time being. I'm emailing SCEE but I'm not getting any replies.

It's one of the main reason why I got a bigger HDD. I planned to fill it with TV series and whatnot and record things when I wouldn't be at home, but... :cry2:

It is out in Germany (have seen it myself in some stores) and France afaik...

Sadly DVB-T in Swabia is complete and utter bull...

Leedogg
11-22-2008, 09:28 PM
I plan on getting this for Christmas.....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152114

I think I'll be set for the long time of the system