PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 3 hands-on

Luis
07-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Unreal Tournament 3 hands-on (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/unrealtournament2007/news.html?sid=6174560&tag=newlyadded;title;1)

E3 07: Unreal Tournament 3 Hands-On
It’s big, it’s bad, and it’s coming to the PlayStation 3 this November.
By Jeff Gerstmann, GameSpot
Posted Jul 12, 2007 8:12 am GMT

As part of Sony’s annual press conference here at E3 2007, the company revealed that Epic’s Unreal Tournament 3 would be coming exclusively to the PlayStation 3 this November. While that sounds like a real bummer for PC owners, you need to remember that, for whatever reason, the console makers seem to forget that the PC exists. So the game will be releasing on the PlayStation 3 and the PC this November. Regardless of all that, Midway brought the PlayStation 3 version to Sony’s press conference, and we got a chance to play this long-awaited first-person shooter on its new console home.

This first-person shooter appears to be running quite well on the PlayStation 3, with plenty of graphical detail from top to bottom, all running at a good, firm frame rate. The demo station we saw was running a standard deathmatch against bots, allowing us to get a good feel for the controls. R1 and L1 handle your primary and alternate fire. R2 is used for dodging, something that required you to double tap the movement keys on the PC. Epic’s Jeff Morris, who was on hand to talk about the game, commented that he’s been dodging much more frequently on the PS3 due to this easy-to-use controller mapping.

http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2007/191/928117_20070711_screen002.jpg

Aside from the PS3 version looking to be on par with the PC version, the other key thing to know is that the PS3 version of the game will have support for mods and other user-created content, in a way that sounds like it will be a first for consoles. Mods built for the PC version will work on the PS3 version of the game. Right now, Epic is testing this functionality by copying the content onto a memory stick and then copying that to the PS3 hard drive, but they’re hoping to get the PC removed from that equation and make mod and map downloading a part of the PS3 version. To speed up loading overall, the game can be completely installed to the PS3 hard drive, but you’ll still need to have the disc in the drive for copy protection purposes.

To hear Epic describe it, the differences between the PS3 and PC versions are few, and aside from the controller differences, the two versions do look quite similar. For one, the game will implement Sixaxis tilt control for steering the hoverboard or piloting the redeemer missile, which is a super weapon that you can steer into targets. Game speed and the size of collision areas are also being adjusted a bit to better tune the game for gamepads.

Overall, the PlayStation 3 version looks pretty impressive, and the thought of mod support just might make it a viable alternative for a series that’s primarily thought of as a PC franchise. It’ll be interesting to see how the two versions stack up when they hit stores this November.

So much for the rumors on Unreal engine not running well on PS3 :laugh:

makeitlookreal
07-12-2007, 10:52 PM
The graphics look good.

BigfootGus
07-13-2007, 01:22 AM
looks pretty cool, the trailer was awesome

OmniStalgic
07-13-2007, 03:30 AM
They should just have an Unreal 07 section on the PS store for mods...

That's the beauty of open-source Epic, customize PSN with your own freakin stuff!!!

I'm pretty sure Sony let's devs do this..

Great win for PS3--i thought this game wouldn't release until 08

Must buy for me...

COD4
Unreal
Haze

Might get all three, probably just get the first two tho...

Passive
07-13-2007, 05:14 AM
anyone seen vid yet? not just the trailer?

Z
07-13-2007, 05:36 AM
you have to see the trailer for this. the online mayhem is so above anything I have ever seen. you can appropriately call it 'unreal'. lol

the size, the speed, the action, the mechanics, the graphics and FX, everything is top notch. :)

Fillibuster
07-13-2007, 05:46 AM
I might look into it. I've never played an Unreal before.

On a sidenote, is Epic going to release anything with hmm, I don't know, any kind of art direction besides huge bodies, little heads, and grime? (Just a comment; I'm a big fan of Gears and Unreal will probably be hella fun, but no one can deny their almost identical)

EDIT: I just meant they look very similar in screens and such...

Passive
07-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Trust me Fillibuster lol if you played unreal you wouldnt be saying they are almost the same. not even close.

Z
07-13-2007, 07:27 AM
I might look into it. I've never played an Unreal before.

On a sidenote, is Epic going to release anything with hmm, I don't know, any kind of art direction besides huge bodies, little heads, and grime? (Just a comment; I'm a big fan of Gears and Unreal will probably be hella fun, but no one can deny their almost identical)
well, that isn't un expected since this is their flag ship/Engine seller. as for Gears, it was targeted on that kind of audience- plus it obviously had influence from their current project.

in any case, I don't know Epic outside of UT. I don't know if they are known to make a number of games and how many genre the support. they may be more of a tech/engine solution provider than a game maker. in any case, if they are planning on making a few projects I am sure they'd ant to branch out a little if only to differentiate the presentation between their projects.

having said that, it is safe to presume UT will always be the flagship demonstrator of any new engine they make.
and that brings to mind id. I wonder what IP they are using to show off their new Tech5 solution. I think they are using a new IP for it but I'm not sure.

makeitlookreal
07-13-2007, 03:31 PM
I like the fact that the PS3 version looks almost as good as the PC version.

-gin-
07-13-2007, 05:03 PM
This games gonna rock so hard

Z
07-13-2007, 07:44 PM
I want to ask about how custom mods work. I know nothing about PC gaming. so what are the things that could change with a mod? can they only change sound effects, UI design, add new characters (like funny cartoon ones) to a game? or can they actually go deeper as to changing the mechanics and weapons and what not and not just aesthetically?

I heard in one PC game, somebody changed every enemy to look like that pink dancing dinosaur that children hate, or something like that.

Newboi
07-14-2007, 03:08 AM
Mod makers can create their own assests, animations, and even some AI scripting. Basically they can create their very own games with the tools supplied by Epic (Unreal Ed), but of course since they don't have full rights to the engine; they can't completely rewrite the engine code however they please though (mod makers always find ways around this though).

Anyways, mods are basically categorized into these few basic groups for UT:

Total Conversions- Completely new games made from the tools provided with UT. If you ever played Counter Strike or Team Fortress those are examples of total conversions done off of Half-life's Hammer and Source engine.

Mutators- special mods that are active while playing UT itself. They usually change certain aspects of the game for different purposes (such as changing the game gravity, weapon fire rates, adding more blood, etc).

Maps- Self-explainitory

Mini-Mods- These are basically they're own games or game types, but mostly if not completely use direct assets from UT (like the same levels, weapons, and vehicles).

Z
07-14-2007, 06:32 AM
thanks for the explanation.

so is the moding or editing options available with in the game itself like how some games have an editor option? or do they have their own complicated PC suits that you just export your results into the game when finished?
can your average gamer mod as well or do you need a technical background?

Newboi
07-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Unreal Ed is separate environment from the game.

Now when building Total Conversions the Unreal Editor definitely isn't enough on it's own to get things done. Most mod teams have professional programs and also use photoshop to export in their own custom models and textures (though UT04 did come with a specialized version of maya for models).

I personally exported the maps I made and ran them in UT, but I'm pretty sure you can test them within the editor itself. Total Conversions though I have no idea about.

Saibo
07-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Team Fortress those are examples of total conversions done off of Half-life's Hammer and Source engine.

Actually, Team Fortress was originally a UT mod, then Valve brought the game,and the team and created Team Fortress Classic(Half Life engine). Team Fortress 2, a source engine game well be out in October.

thanks for the explanation.

so is the moding or editing options available with in the game itself like how some games have an editor option? or do they have their own complicated PC suits that you just export your results into the game when finished?
can your average gamer mod as well or do you need a technical background?

Modding can be split into many different areas. Mapping, modeling, texturing, animation, and programming(in the case of Unreal 3 engine, its Unreal script). You'll need a team to tackle each of those areas if your doing a total conversion. Now if you just want to make some maps(levels) for UT3, you can just learn Unreal Ed. If you want to learn Unreal Ed there are many resource online(even video tutorials for free). Unreal Ed is just a map/level creation software(however i think it comes bundle with many other tools in UT3), but i won't say its separate from the engine. Because you can jump from from creating/editing a map right into the game engine with a click of a button on the PC version(this won't be the case with PS3/360 version, since they don't support modding tools). In contrast to hammer(Half Life 2 level editor), where you can't jump into the Source engine with a click of the mouse. In Source, maps have to be compiled before you can play them. This is why unreal engine is in some ways better for level designers, no need to spend hours compiling maps, just switch to the engine play, switch back to Unreal Ed and make more changes to the map,etc.

Mapping requires some learning, but i wont call it technical, modeling is one part art one part technical, texturing is purely art, 3D animation(which includes rigging also) is very technical, but its a art form also, programming with Unreal Script is all so very technical ;), its also very OOP(object oriented programming).

I do plan on making a "total conversion" for UT3, along the lines of "Alan Wake", but i'm not totally sure its possible with the modding tools(Unreal Ed, Unreal Script,etc).since this is my first time modding a Unreal engine. If i can't make a game like Alan Wake, then i'll just make a first person shooter < rolleyes >

If you have any more modding question, post them i'll be happy to answer!

PS> modding is a great way to get your feet wet in game development. AFAIK Digital Extremes, the developers of Dark Sector were once modders too in the past.

Z
07-14-2007, 09:00 AM
great. thanks for answering. so creating the actual content will obvioulsy take some know how in multiple apps. but what about only implementing ready made content, would that be as straight forward as placing and clicking? for example, in some games' map editors, you just chose from a list of ready made object and simply pic a place and position and drop them in.

if I would say use the default 'ready made content' in the game or maybe download some work that others made (if that it possible), would I then be able to use such a straight forward 'placement' approach to building up say a map for example using these ready made 'blocks'? or is there more to it that that?

Zak
07-14-2007, 09:11 AM
This game looks gay. They have mad big bodies and tiny heads. That annoys me.

Vegtro
07-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Actually, Team Fortress was originally a UT mod, then Valve brought the game,and the team and created Team Fortress Classic(Half Life engine). Team Fortress 2, a source engine game well be out in October.

Actually it was a mod for Quake 1. Those were the good o days of LPB and HPB.

Saibo
07-14-2007, 10:02 AM
great. thanks for answering. so creating the actual content will obvioulsy take some know how in multiple apps. but what about only implementing ready made content, would that be as straight forward as placing and clicking? for example, in some games' map editors, you just chose from a list of ready made object and simply pic a place and position and drop them in.

if I would say use the default 'ready made content' in the game or maybe download some work that others made (if that it possible), would I then be able to use such a straight forward 'placement' approach to building up say a map for example using these ready made 'blocks'? or is there more to it that that?

short answer , YES.

I can probably better answer that by explaining the basic mapping process(which apply to most moddable FPS). In UnrealEd, your given basic building blocks call "brush", they usually come in different forms. The most common one is the cube. the cube brush can be scaled in X, Y, Z.This cube is used to create walls, stairs,floors,ceilings,window openings,buildings,many other basic things. You'll want to use brushes to flesh out most of the map/level. For more complex stuff say like a gun, computer,characters,any props(trees,rocks,tanks,cars,etc anything that can't normally be created with a simple cube), you'll need to create those models in a 3D application and export it to UnrealEd. Once its in UnrealED(At this point they can be consider "ready made content", they are usually accompany by a texture) you can pick it from your list, and click and place it anywhere in on your map/level. "ready made content" can be shared with other people, its just a file. Just pop it into the correct directory, and they'll be able to place into a map.

I think that makes sense, if it doesn't you can download the free video tutorial on Unreal Mapping intro(series 1). at 3dbuzz.com, the registration is free, so is the video. The kid does a great job of explain the mapping process.

IMO, your average gamer can create a decent map easily. Its not a very technical process.

Actually it was a mod for Quake 1. Those were the good o days of LPB and HPB.

Your correct, i always get UT and Quake confused. i believe half-life engine derive from the Quake engine(since Valve bought it from id).

Passive
07-14-2007, 11:44 AM
This game looks gay. They have mad big bodies and tiny heads. That annoys me.

wtf? lol its called armour...

BahnNZ
07-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Purely on the mods, this is a 100% essential purchase. You'll be playing this when PS4 comes out.

Z
07-14-2007, 03:57 PM
I think Counter Strike proved how mods prolongs a game's life span. ;)

Fillibuster
07-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I have to decide if I'm getting this for PS3 or if I should drop the money on a new G-Card and get it for PC. This would also allow me to play Crysis, and since I want to make games for a living I could also do some modding...I'll check my bank accounts when it releases to determine...lol

Saibo
07-14-2007, 09:20 PM
I think Counter Strike proved how mods prolongs a game's life span. ;)

Also Day of Defeat. ;)

I have to decide if I'm getting this for PS3 or if I should drop the money on a new G-Card and get it for PC. This would also allow me to play Crysis, and since I want to make games for a living I could also do some modding...I'll check my bank accounts when it releases to determine...lol

Dude, get the PC version a new graphics card(you won't be modding on the PS3 version anytime soon). Crysis is a great moddable game also. kill 2 birds with one stone!