PDA

View Full Version : E-mpire Gaming E-Cast Week 4

frosty
03-27-2007, 12:22 AM
This week, forum regular and game developer Cpiasminc makes a guest appearance to discuss multiplatform titles and fanboyism.

Click Here to Download (http://www.braggmitchellmansion.com/podcast4.mp3)

FantasyGhost
03-27-2007, 01:49 AM
All in all a good E-cast frosty.
Better sound quality too.
Though i don't know how it is when Cpiasminc is talking, it's like an echo or something.
The girl on the other hand was a good move to bring her on there too. she has a nice voice to listen to, and had also valid points whenever she said something, although she could have said more in my opinion.
The end however seems cut off, you were talking about VF5 coming on XBOX 360 and Cpiasminc responds to it end while saying something it's cut off.

All in all nice reply to the fanboys out there, who think due to their "contributions" on that list, the company would come back to their previous stance.

cpiasminc
03-27-2007, 02:04 AM
There's a nasty amount of low-frequency noise and bias from my machine when I was recording my voiceover and removing that noise seemed to rip out a fraction of my vocals as well creating this weird warbling sound.

And I'm not sure what happened to cause the cutoff. There was probably supposed to be about 40-some minutes there.

frosty
03-27-2007, 02:50 AM
It may be an editing mistake, I'll look into it.

Re-uploading it now.

koten
03-27-2007, 02:50 AM
Lucent has such a lovely voice.

A very good podcast, and one that everyone should make sure to listen to.

frosty
03-27-2007, 02:54 AM
she's a great addition to the podcast.

Lucent Beam
03-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Let us not forget that koten is a self-identified sarcastic ass.

Edit: Fixed. Ass. :P

koten
03-27-2007, 03:19 AM
My name is koten, damnit. Not Koten.

And I wasn't sarcastic for once :-p

curryking1
03-27-2007, 03:35 AM
How long is this?

And also, how would you rate how sexy your voices are? On a scale of 2 to 7?

cpiasminc
03-27-2007, 03:51 AM
How long is this?
IIRC, we went on for a little over 47 minutes or so, but there were little hitches here and there that added up to a few delays, so I'd expect the edited piece to be just under 40 minutes.

And also, how would you rate how sexy your voices are? On a scale of 2 to 7?
2 to 7? That's a weird scale.
I'd go with a 1. Granted my own voice in my own ears tends to be transmitted through my bones, and sounds quite different to me -- that version, I'd give a 1.8.

HeroOfTimeGCN
03-27-2007, 04:14 AM
I didn't get to contribute much this week, I was in an accident right before I had to get back for recording.

My voice is probably a 3... Of course that's just me.

I have a question for the listeners: What topics do you want to hear us talk about in the future? What games do you want us to focus on getting developer interviews for?

curryking1
03-27-2007, 04:25 AM
2 to 7? That's a weird scale.
I'd go with a 1. Granted my own voice in my own ears tends to be transmitted through my bones, and sounds quite different to me -- that version, I'd give a 1.8.

2 to 7 is an arbitrary scale that has proven quite effective in self report measures concerned with psychological traits.

2 is absolutely squelchingly horrid, or at some ridiculously one sided end of whatever spectrum btw. Don't think of it so linearly, think of it more logarithmic than that lol.\

Maybe I'll listen to it 2moro! I'll be sure to give feedback if I get around to hearing this.

Delirious
03-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Yeah Im gonna have to wait too as I dont have a good connection at home.

curryking1
03-27-2007, 04:47 AM
Why is it only one min?

Edit - O shit... I didn't d/l it all yet hahhaha.

cpiasminc
03-27-2007, 05:25 AM
2 to 7 is an arbitrary scale that has proven quite effective in self report measures concerned with psychological traits.
Sounds curious and yet vaguely believable at the same time.

2 is absolutely squelchingly horrid, or at some ridiculously one sided end of whatever spectrum btw. Don't think of it so linearly, think of it more logarithmic than that lol.\
In that case, I'll stick with my previous response.

It could have been worse, though. I could have sung. That would be torturous on an unspeakable level. I can see the headlines now... "Podcast Listeners Perform Mass Suicide : Listeners ripped off their own ears, torched selves yelling 'Make it stop!'"

I almost found it funny how much I still have an accent listening to this. Other than the fact that I don't enunciate like I used to, but that's almost always true for South Indians(children tend to pronounce everything correctly and use proper grammar while adults mumble and colloquialize)... The only reason my accent is minimal is because Tamil has most all the sounds in English... I still seem to have my old habits with "s" sounds because I'm accustomed to an "s" which is kind of halfway between "ss" and "sh".

My voice is probably a 3... Of course that's just me.
That disparity in how you score yourself and how I score myself makes me wonder considering that Frosty initially mistook me for you when I called in.

makeitlookreal
03-27-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm downloading the podcast now.

curryking1
03-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Your voice wasn't bad man! I listened to it. But I think it was your voice (?) that cracked a few times lol! Funny stuff. Good podcast btw.

I rate your voice a 7.

Lucent has a hilarious American accent though, funny stuff. It's only apparent sometimes though lol.

Also, someone says Lair REALLY funny, awesome hahahah, I love it.

"You know wut I'm saying!?" Hehehehe

;)!

Anyways, very pleasant and nice to listen to. And it's so much better than any other podcast I've heard honestly, especially all those crappy video things from GS and 1up and blah blah. This was cool, like listening to the Fan590 on the radio, awesome stuff guys!

cpiasminc
03-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Your voice wasn't bad man! I listened to it. But I think it was your voice (?) that cracked a few times lol! Funny stuff. Good podcast btw.
I mentioned that in the 3rd post in the thread. There's an insane amount of noise that my soundcard (an old PAS16) put through the recording. It also biased it up to -20 dB, which is equally insane... removing that noise ended up creating a weird mechanical sound beneath the voice. I almost wonder if it might have sounded better if Frosty used the conference call recording rather than the one recorded off my own machine.

I might have had a better quality recording if I used someone else's machine, but that wasn't really an option.

A couple of times when I've given lectures at some universities, I'd end up talking for much longer periods than I'm used to doing and by the end of the lecture, my throat would grow hoarse and I'd sound like I'm choking on something. But then, these usually end up being 3-4 hour talks.

I rate your voice a 7.
How about if you stripped away all compunctions to be polite? ;)

Lucent Beam
03-27-2007, 07:04 PM
I almost wonder if it might have sounded better if Frosty used the conference call recording rather than the one recorded off my own machine.

Listen to how me and Nick Cooper sounded on the last cast... it was awful.

Lucent has a hilarious American accent though, funny stuff. It's only apparent sometimes though lol.

Haha. Hilarious? How do you figure that? :P

D3adcell
03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
^America is 2 pretty big continents. I think he meant though that you sounded Columbian.......

Kiwi
03-27-2007, 09:56 PM
I thought it just sounded like a regular North (does that keep you happy Cell? :P) American accent.

But then, I can never tell the difference with most of them anyway.

Aside from that, another great podcast. Discussing some things that needed to be discussed.

cpiasminc
03-27-2007, 10:14 PM
^America is 2 pretty big continents. I think he meant though that you sounded Columbian.......
Columbian or Colombian? Because I could totally picture that voice as the voice of a fence for a drug-smuggling operation. Ummm... yeah... that's right.

At least she doesn't sound like someone who's missing a lung.

curryking1
03-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Haha. Hilarious? How do you figure that? :P

Anything that is nice or has good involved, I like to call hilarious. I don't know why, I find very tiny miniscule, almost unoticable things, absolutely hilarious sometimes. I like to point out he most arbitrary things and just laugh at them sometimes lol :D

I think it's just me, not even that they are things that are actually funny or even make sense, I just like to laugh at them anyways ;)

I found the whole podcast to be perfectly pleasurable to listen to. All of you guys did a great job in composure and spoke very clearly, great stuff.

EDIT - Ya... er.. so... I just like to talk about this stuff lol! Today me and my friend were prepping for a chem lab, and he accidentally said cation as "ca-shun." O my dear, god, I had a field day, fun stuff!

IEatFriedPikmin
03-28-2007, 09:38 PM
who do you work for ciaspminc?

btw, the sound is too soft... i guess its not much of an issue, but i had to freakin crank up my speakers. just my bit of advice.

cpiasminc
03-28-2007, 09:51 PM
I figure I'd wait until there are some formal announcements on some projects before I say.

In the past, I've worked at some failed startups (if you've seen the "creature" thread at B3D, that describes one), and prior to my current job, I was at Terminal Reality working on Aeon Flux, Spy Hunter 3, and Demonik (which was shelved during my time).

Coded-Dude
03-28-2007, 09:56 PM
They aren't making another Spy Hunter?
I thought I just read somewhere(recently) that PS3 will see a version.
(unless that was canceled and is what you are referring too)

cpiasminc
03-28-2007, 10:13 PM
They aren't making another Spy Hunter?
I thought I just read somewhere(recently) that PS3 will see a version.
(unless that was canceled and is what you are referring too)
I haven't heard of another one. The one I worked on came out for PS2/Xbox months after I left the company and started at my current job. That's the one that has the likeness of The Rock and was supposedly supposed to be tied to a movie, about which I'd heard no further news.

I suppose if there IS an actual movie at some point, there'd be another addition to the franchise to come out at the same time, but as for who's developing it if it exists, I have no clue.

The canceled one (Demonik) was originally supposed to be an Xbox360-exclusive and be a horror title with Clive Barker's name slapped on it, though the press (including PSINext) had been listing it as a 360/PS3 title... Turns out the press was right and we were wrong in thinking it would be a 360-exclusive... about a month or two prior to E3, we had a meeting with our publisher and at one point, they asked "so how's the PS3 version coming along?" Jaws dropped to the floor... No one told us anything about a PS3 release until then.

Coded-Dude
03-28-2007, 10:17 PM
oh yeah....that one - "Nowhere to Run"
nvm then. ;-]

D3adcell
03-29-2007, 12:39 AM
I figure I'd wait until there are some formal announcements on some projects before I say.

In the past, I've worked at some failed startups (if you've seen the "creature" thread at B3D, that describes one), and prior to my current job, I was at Terminal Reality working on Aeon Flux, Spy Hunter 3, and Demonik (which was shelved during my time).

So you live in the dallas area? My cousin is fixing to graduate this may with his Computer Science degree. We are going to be moving there, try and get into game development ourselves. Even if its just testing.

Lucent Beam
03-29-2007, 12:47 AM
So you live in the dallas area? My cousin is fixing to graduate this may with his Computer Science degree. We are going to be moving there, try and get into game development ourselves. Even if its just testing.

Make sure you get on as developer QA, rather than publisher! (Though I think there are much less dev QA positions than publisher QA.)

cpiasminc
03-30-2007, 08:01 PM
So you live in the dallas area? My cousin is fixing to graduate this may with his Computer Science degree.
*Lived* in the Dallas area. I actually lived in the city (just off of Belt Line and Preston, so actually kind of up against Addison) and commuted out to Lewisville -- long morning drive, but I was going the opposite direction of traffic, and I was saving about $6000 a year in rent, which was essential since TRI doesn't exactly pay well. Most other companies in the Dallas Area, when myself and many friends interviewed there, all frequently said "yeah, we know, many people come through TRI as a sort of rite of passage and interview here when they feel like getting paid."

Currently, I'm in the Bay area, and rents are kind of absurdly high here, but at least I'm getting paid pretty near double what I was getting in Dallas, and pretty near triple what I was getting in Houston... and I'm still spending under $2 a day on food.

D3adcell
03-30-2007, 11:32 PM
So you think TR would be the best place to start looking at?

Fats
03-31-2007, 12:03 AM
I haven't heard of another one. The one I worked on came out for PS2/Xbox months after I left the company and started at my current job. That's the one that has the likeness of The Rock and was supposedly supposed to be tied to a movie, about which I'd heard no further news.

I suppose if there IS an actual movie at some point, there'd be another addition to the franchise to come out at the same time, but as for who's developing it if it exists, I have no clue.

The canceled one (Demonik) was originally supposed to be an Xbox360-exclusive and be a horror title with Clive Barker's name slapped on it, though the press (including PSINext) had been listing it as a 360/PS3 title... Turns out the press was right and we were wrong in thinking it would be a 360-exclusive... about a month or two prior to E3, we had a meeting with our publisher and at one point, they asked "so how's the PS3 version coming along?" Jaws dropped to the floor... No one told us anything about a PS3 release until then.

Lmao! *awkward silence*

cpiasminc
03-31-2007, 04:51 AM
So you think TR would be the best place to start looking at?
Well, for QA, you can look just about anywhere. TRI generally doesn't have a heavy need for QA until they get a project into triage phases, though maybe that's changed in the year since I left. For technical work, it's probably a decent place to start -- one thing they have a lot of is work on the technical side. I've generally seen a philosophy there that since they have such high artist turnover rates, they build tools and systems on the assumption that all artists are going to do something stupid, and that they need to be kind of idiot-proofed. I don't find it particularly smart from a production standpoint, but at least it means there's a lot of technically strong guys there, and the cast is small and familiar. I think a lot of the problems the company has just lies in people in the management hierarchy, a lot of hiding things from employees, and a lot of short-term planning in that they tend to live project to project.

There are core doctrines to remember there if you ever get a job there. Make sure you never, NEVER speak highly of Microsoft. In QA, assume it's an asset problem first before thinking that it might be code.

Lmao! *awkward silence*
It was especially not a fun thought because no one had a PS3 devkit at the time, and the company didn't even have any PS3 SDK license seats. And of course, the publisher quipping that "I'm sure we meant to tell you", decided to show their generosity by saying, "well, we won't give you an extra dime more money, but it's okay... we tried to keep it quiet to get you guys moving, but we actually padded the schedule by as much as a full week."