PDA

View Full Version : cheerful fellow

cliffbo
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
who pays this fellas wages? it actually amused me...

An Electronic Arts developer has gone on record to say that gamers shouldn't bother buying into PlayStation 3 unless a "big change" comes along for Sony's maligned next-gen console, posting to discussion site Free Republic that Xbox 360 and Nintendo's Wii are the better options.

"My opinion - get 360 and/or Wii. Skip PS3 unless there's a big change in the future," the post concludes. It was written by Andrew Garrett, a developer on previous EA titles like Battle for Middle Earth II and Medal of Honor: European Assault. Garrett is currently working on Command & Conquer 3.

Garrett explains that "most of us [at EA] think 360 will be top for this generation, with the battle for second place between Sony and Nintendo," before adding that "it's not a sure thing" that PS3 will triumph over Nintendo's visually-dated but exciting Wii.

While Garrett can hardly be held as the voice of a whole company, it can't be too positive for Sony to hear successful developers urging gamers away from PlayStation 3. Garrett fails to illustrate what he means by a "big change", though, and we believe that this year will see the gap between PS3 and 360 close like a well-oiled door as PS3 plays host to a new wave of exciting games. Developers, eh? What do they know?

http://www.gametab.com/news/813466/

Luis
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
PS3 hasn't even launched in Europe yet and some people can't spread enough FUD. I'll reiterate myself and ask once again: how do you expect 360 to win worldwide when it'll remain a distant third in one of the main three markets for the rest of the generation?

Rip3001
02-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I care more about what the developers of Mercenaries 2 have to say rather than this guy and his gang of Xbots. EA is a huge company and employee from a huge pool of gamers...you're going to have people like this.

cliffbo
02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
PS3 hasn't even launched in Europe yet and some people can't spread enough FUD. I'll reiterate myself and ask once again: how do you expect 360 to win worldwide when it'll remain a distant third in one of the main three markets for the rest of the generation?

if this guy is from EA, i don't think he'll be employed for much longer LOL... and yes, how can you compete if you fail in one of the major markets?

Viper
02-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Possibly because it's not a distant 3rd. it's pretty much half the PS3 which is far closer than last gen. While it won't stay that close, it's far better off for MS this round that last.

FantasyGhost
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Possibly because it's not a distant 3rd. it's pretty much half the PS3 which is far closer than last gen. While it won't stay that close, it's far better off for MS this round that last.
Then why do i read reports from sites that the XBOX's first year sales were better then the XBOX 360 sales?

cliffbo
02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
great timing though eh? LOL just before March. there are a lot of worried little folk out there with a mouth full of fingernails...

Viper
02-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Those were all before last November when the Xbox360 shot up sales. Take a look at my sales threads for yourself.

300k - X360's
600k - PS3's

Luis
02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Possibly because it's not a distant 3rd. it's pretty much half the PS3 which is far closer than last gen.Considering 360's year advantage, that it's been sold at a huge discount, that it recently got its most important title for the Japanese audience and that PS3 still doesn't have a wide game catalogue to justify its price, that's not surprising at this point. Besides, note that I said "it'll remain".

While it won't stay that close, it's far better off for MS this round that last.You'd still have to talk in relative terms, because the situation is still really bad and it doesn't look like it'll end up being nearly decent.

cliffbo
02-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Those were all before last November when the Xbox360 shot up sales. Take a look at my sales threads for yourself.

300k - X360's
600k - PS3's

Viper, where do you get your figures from? it would be great to have trusted figures, but i tend to read figures everywhere and take an average

Viper
02-12-2007, 08:49 PM
My figures are Media Create. You guys know my sales thread, right?

VG, the situation is far better for MS now at this point than it is for Sony at this point. MS has almost 3/5ths of the entire Xbox sales already sold on X360. Sony had millions sold almost right out of the gate with PS2. And don't talk about heavy price cuts for X360 without mentioning th big price cuts for PS3. Did you know some stores are selling the PS3 for less than they are the Wii (and the Wii is a fixed price so they aren't inflated)?

FantasyGhost
02-12-2007, 08:52 PM
This can't be right, can it?

Xbox360:
NA - 3.3 million
Japan/PAL - 0.4 million
Euro - 1.3 million
Worldwide - 5 million

Edit: for those who don't know Viper's charts check the stickies in the forums here: http://forums.e-mpire.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Viper
02-12-2007, 08:54 PM
I haven't update the MS numbers yet. Look for the update time stamp at the bottom of each post.

FantasyGhost
02-12-2007, 08:56 PM
It's been updated 01-26-2007 so must be pretty much up to date no? I'm in this thread: http://forums.e-mpire.com/showthread.php?t=59593

Luis
02-12-2007, 08:57 PM
VG, the situation is far better for MS now at this point than it is for Sony at this point.So what? PS3 has just launched. 5 years from now, 360 will be pretty much ignored in Japan unless there are big changes before that *winks at EA guy*.

And don't talk about heavy price cuts for X360 without mentioning th big price cuts for PS3. Did you know some stores are selling the PS3 for less than they are the Wii (and the Wii is a fixed price so they aren't inflated)?The key is bolded. Not that your statement is too meaningful without contextualizing more than that.

cliffbo
02-12-2007, 08:58 PM
My figures are Media Create. You guys know my sales thread, right?

eh?... what makes that more accurate? i'm not saying your figures are wrong, i'm just interested to know why you are so sure they are right...

Viper
02-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Being the most trusted sales tabulation company in Japan isn't enough?

I did add the new quarter financials to that post but not the sales figures. Note the "(as of June 30, 2006)" by the sales figures?

VG, point being they are not in a distant 3rd as many claim and the PS3 is in just as bad of shape as the X360 if not worse because the X360 is expected to flop there, the PS3 isn't.

FantasyGhost
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I did add the new quarter financials to that post but not the sales figures. Note the "(as of June 30, 2006)" by the sales figures?OK, then it's not the actual numbers since launch date, but half way.

Luis
02-12-2007, 09:08 PM
VG, point being they are not in a distant 3rd as many claim and the PS3 is in just as bad of shape as the X360 if not worse because the X360 is expected to flop there, the PS3 isn't.PS3 has just been out for 3 months over there without killer apps. It's too early to even think of "flops". If 360 still can't be considered a distant third a year from now, I'll agree with you.

VideoGame mania
02-12-2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-02-02-ea-earnings_x.htm
Wow just wow
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12716/EA-Disappointed-with-PS3-Game-Sales/
just 4 days between both articles and this is how FUD spreads on the net.

LaLiLuLeLo
02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Wow EA. I hope they die in a fire.

Sephiroth_VII
02-12-2007, 11:06 PM
^Too easy a death for them. What about drowning in acid? :pleased:

Luis
02-12-2007, 11:19 PM
^Too easy a death for them. What about drowning in acid? :pleased:Anything that doesn't involve a 48 hours long, genital-centric torture is too kind :realmad

By the way Seph: I look at your sig and I realise PS3 and the first wave of great games is coming in 5 weeks and 3 days :hugegrin:

Sephiroth_VII
02-13-2007, 12:33 AM
It gives a warm, fuzzy feeling :D

LiquidEagle
02-13-2007, 12:56 AM
It's not like that guy was really speaking for EA...

Red_Eyes
02-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Oh, I love how they only report when ONE developer disses the PS3, and make it sound like HIS words are the the only thing that matters. How they never report it when other developers have positive things to say about the PS3. How they'll even try to persuade the developers to say negative things about the PS3. How they'll even take the developers words out of context to try to make it sound negative. Sites like this are full of BS. Don't even bother visiting them anymore.

Rip3001
02-13-2007, 05:20 AM
I wonder how many EA developers they had to sort through before they found him. Probably just trying to make a name for himself.

mario25
02-13-2007, 05:24 AM

The leader of the Xbox crusades has arrived ? is he alone or the whole army is here to back him up?

Viper
02-13-2007, 05:32 AM
See, this is some funny shit. I get called an Xbox fan or fanboy but never a Nintendo fanboy. Why is that?

I think what you'll find that I do is take an analytical approach to the discussion at hand with no context of corporate bias. If something is said beyond the realm of reality that is presented as fact, I intervene. Whether it supports your view point, Bill gates or Shiggy's, I could care less. False notions are spread too much by word of mouth because too few step up to correct anything with factual material.

Now if you can prove the X360 is not in a better position than the Xbox was at this point or that the PS3 is leading by a margin of much more than approx half its own install base, I'll leave the thread never to post in it again.

Zer0-Sum
02-13-2007, 05:32 AM
I still suspect Microsoft of paying people in the industry to talk shit and spread FUD on PS3. It sounds crazy, but I still believe it.

Otherwise it sounds like he just likes the fact that 360 is so much "easier" to develop for that PS3. LAZINESS I tell you. They just want 360 to win because they don't have to learn that steep learning curve.

I also wonder what the execs at EA think about independent shit talking like this. I know that they are all over the relationship with Sony. I bet they don't like it at all.

kaphwan
02-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Oh, I love how they only report when ONE developer disses the PS3, and make it sound like HIS words are the the only thing that matters. How they never report it when other developers have positive things to say about the PS3. How they'll even try to persuade the developers to say negative things about the PS3. How they'll even take the developers words out of context to try to make it sound negative. Sites like this are full of BS. Don't even bother visiting them anymore.

Yes, OH GOD YES!

Also Viper, you keep proving my praises for you correct.

Cless
02-13-2007, 05:15 PM
How is Xbox360 in a better position than Xbox?

Check Xbox sales in 1 Year and 7 weeks:
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5721/mediacreatexboxgv4.th.gif (http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5721/mediacreatexboxgv4.gif)

Xbox360 1 Year and 7 weeks:
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/4672/mediacreatexbox360cw6.th.gif (http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/4672/mediacreatexbox360cw6.gif)

~60,000 difference and the Xbox didn't even have those games towards Japanese gamers (especially Blue Dragon).

Source = Media Create

Viper
02-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Take a look at the last several weeks of X360 sales figures. That's never happen on that level as consistently on Xbox. Xbox also had a far larger launch. Also compare the sales of Xbox at 1yr7Wk with PS2 sales and Xbox360 at 1yr7wk with PS3 sales.

PS2 also sold out, hence the low sales after the launch.

cliffbo
02-13-2007, 06:54 PM
viper, the xbox did better than the 360, regardless of how astoundingly well the 360 did later on. but the point you seem to be overlooking, and one that clearly puts the 360 in a terrible position, is the fact that the Xbox did not have a brand faithful market ready and waiting. why did the PS2 do so well? was it because of the good games? partly yes, but the main reason is the loyalty of PS1 owners. if we take a look at MS from that point of view, then i have to say that, apart from stalwart supporters, the momentum is slowing for them... 3 months into the Japanese launch of PS3 and its already overtaken the 360 figures (of a year!) come on surely there is no way on earth that anyone can say the 360 is doing better than the PS3 in japan... :)

Viper
02-13-2007, 07:05 PM
come on surely there is no way on earth that anyone can say the 360 is doing better than the PS3 in japan... :)

Please read my posts again. That is not at all what I said, not at all. :duh:

It takes a hallowed skull idiot with the IQ of a shoe size to make that claim....or be an Xbot.

curryking1
02-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I think last gen has solidified it's ground almost too well, and could be hurting sales, right now, maybe not as much later. I think the Wii is the only console to have truly come out of the shadow of it's predecessor, the Wii did it almost instantaneously, if not that it was instantaneously.

I think the PS2 is simply hurting 360 sales more than it's hurting PS3 sales. The 360 and PS2 are probably on more head 2 head comp. right now with regards to price. But even considering that, that may be a very small factor, and they may not be competing at all, just the PS2 has it's own area and it's mindshare in the area it sells is greater magnitude that either the PS3 or 360 in their respective areas. The PS3 is it's it own area with it's higher price, so at least it's not getting hurt by the PS2, but only by itself.

The 360 and PS3 have their work ahead of them to come out of the shadow of the PS2, hopefully the PS3 won't take as long as the 360 has.

Cless
02-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Take a look at the last several weeks of X360 sales figures. That's never happen on that level as consistently on Xbox. Xbox also had a far larger launch. Also compare the sales of Xbox at 1yr7Wk with PS2 sales and Xbox360 at 1yr7wk with PS3 sales.

PS2 also sold out, hence the low sales after the launch.
True, Blue Dragon made the increasing sales after it release but one game is not gonna change it in the long run. And how does it make X360 in a better position? It still sells less than the Xbox with more orientated Japanese games and that much advertisements, bundles etc. It is actually in a worser position when it is not outselling the Xbox already in this life span.

X360 sales end Jan - first Feb.:

Feb. 04 - 6,130

Seems like it is decreasing again.

Viper
02-13-2007, 07:19 PM
So did everything else last week.

rpgamer_2k5
02-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Cless, wait til Lost Oddyssey, Cry On, two stronger titles from Mistwalker's suite. Also Infinite Undiscovery by Tri-Ace looks really interesting, info is limited but it really looks like a gem.

And last (but certainly not the least) is Trusty Bell: Chopin's Dream. It looks gorgeous and will similar to the Tales series plus big financial baking. That may be a lot more appealing to the Japanese fanbase. If not, it's going to end up costing a fortune in the future.

Re-thinking the scenerio, it's doesn't look like its going to change much since PS2 has too many core titles and can be easily played on the PS3. However if Sony wants to keep fans loyal, we need to see Sony producing stronger software. Come on, lets get Media Vision working on a PS3 title, re-enrol G-craft (Arc the lad I/II), Cattle Call (Arc the Lad IV) along with White Night Story. While that title looks good visually, I doubt it'd fly plot-wise so lets get some developers who have the potential to create something greated if funded well.

All I'm saying is bring it up a notch. I am aware that it isn't needed because once Final Fantasy and Shin Megami Tensei arrives on the PS3 (the later has been confirmed), the Xbox 360 is dead. After that Namco will likely probably follow by releasing a Tales title. However things would really change if Sony went full-swing. They need to do the same with the PSP as well, but I think it may be heading that direction on that platform.

Smokey
02-14-2007, 05:28 AM
do youse really think japan is that important this time around? i think US & EURO would be more important this time around for console sales. i mean its a given Xbox sux in Japan

lips
05-12-2007, 10:47 PM
sounds a lot like 'i didn't buy one, so you shouldn't either.'

heh, if ea is suggesting they are not going to be offloading all their shovel ware on the ps3, its obvious there should be a strong buy on it. I can think of 20 other companies including Sony that are happy to release sports titles for ps3.

LaLiLuLeLo
05-13-2007, 01:09 AM
why did you dig up this thread? it's 3 months old.