PDA

View Full Version : ManHunt 2: Next Gen Wii Exclusive

OnBake Platinum
02-06-2007, 06:36 PM
http://gonintendo.com/?p=12801

New York, NY - February 6, 2007 - Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce Manhunt 2 for the PlayStation 2 system, PSP system, and Nintendo’s Wii™. Manhunt 2 is the debut title from the newly formed Rockstar London studio, which is developing the game in conjunction with series creator Rockstar North. The Wii™ version is being developed by Rockstar Toronto. Manhunt 2 will be available this summer.

“With Manhunt 2 we have tried to create a game that stays close to the original concept of chilling suspense and stealth, whilst pushing the game design and storytelling forward,” said Sam Houser, founder and executive producer of Rockstar Games. “We are also excited to have our newest development team, Rockstar London, working on the title alongside our two established UK studios, Rockstar North and Leeds.”

This is a surprise...

Viper
02-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I never played the original but I must say the Wii has garnered more M rated play-as-the-bad-guy games in just a few months than GC had across 5 years.

Coded-Dude
02-06-2007, 06:46 PM
your a surprise(actually....a mistake)

But this news is interesting, that is all. :shifty:

Ravster
02-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Already played ManHunt and gotta say its pretty good. This exclusive should be good.

Chris
02-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Makes sense though because isn't it a hand-to-hand and use of blunt objects type of game?

Sandman
02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I thought Manhunt was a stupid game, but it is nice to see some M rated games. Obviously they're only doing it because they can port the PS2 version and then bank on the Wii's success, but I'm not complaining.

masteratt
02-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Manhunt was one of the few (maybe the only) game that made me WORRY and excited about getting caught and was really a kill to survive feeling at it's best.

The story telling was just awesome to the max. I am surprised there is no movie out.

Brave move by Rockstar to make this Wii Exclusive (well, speaking in next-gen terms) and the Wii-mote should make stabbing eyeballs, smashing heads into pieces and slicing open someone's guts 10 times more fun :thumpsup:

Very exciting indeed.
Why this is coming out for PS2 and PSP though I'm not sure.

Coded-Dude
02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Why this is coming out for PS2 and PSP though I'm not sure.
Um...its called install base.

masteratt
02-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Ah, of course.

koten
02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
O... K...?

Honestly, that's quite a shock. Considering Rockstar's almost zero support of the GC (except Smugglers run, but that wasn't all that great) it's strange to see them releasing a game for Wii.

Then again, Wii is doing far better than the GC and has thus far managed to avoid "teh kiddie" imag the GC had.

I'm not going to lie and say I'm excited that this is coming out though. This game managed to make the "too much violence, not enough fun" catagory for me, so I'm not really interested in the sequal.

Cofey
02-06-2007, 09:30 PM
I feel the same way about the original koten, but this is very good for Wii. A lot of people love the first game. Making the second for Wii as opposed to 360 or PS3 will give Nintendo an even better image to those people who have stayed away from them over the last 5 or 10 years.

Phoenix
02-06-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm excited for this game. Not because I'll probobly ever play it, but because it's one step closer to finally burying the misconception of Nintendo being for kids.

Shadow Voa
02-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I did a report on how bad games like this are for the industry in my final grade 12 paper. Not much has changed then but Im glad Wii is getting more and more games cause this system deserves as much support and love from consumers much like the DS.

However, like Koten and Gollum I wont be picking this up since I am opposed to games with as much over the top violence as this... but that wont stop my friends from buying it!! ;) Lol

dork
02-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Manhunt? Why not GTA... :ohno:

The Dude
02-06-2007, 10:00 PM
On one hand its good to see Wii getting this kind of support but on the other...manhunt? why not an original GTA game build just for the Wii?

Phoenix
02-06-2007, 10:00 PM
If this sells well, Wii will be getting GTA, you can count on it. I doubt it'll be an exclusive, but it's better than it being on everything but the Wii.

OnBake Platinum
02-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Rock Star did Smugglers run? I liked that game.

Generosity of God
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
with Wii controls i doubt it will get an australian release. bloody rating board doesnt have an R rating and i just cant see it getting an M15+ rating with the Wii remote immitating violent motions.

i guess we'll have to see how they implement the Wii remote first but it wouldnt be fun if the controls dont mimic the violence.

koten
02-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Rock Star did Smugglers run? I liked that game.Check the front of the box.

Or if you're too lazy. http://www.rockstargames.com/smugglersrun/

SuperLuigiBros
02-07-2007, 03:00 AM
I was thinking the same thing as onBake..

with Wii controls i doubt it will get an australian release. bloody rating board doesnt have an R rating and i just cant see it getting an M15+ rating with the Wii remote immitating violent motions.

i guess we'll have to see how they implement the Wii remote first but it wouldnt be fun if the controls dont mimic the violence.

oh shit youre right. well maybe itll only be MA, but i doubt it. Hmm. Well, I wouldnt definatly get it anyway, but it would be nice to see more mature games on the Wii. At least in Australia.

TheGreenElf
02-07-2007, 03:53 AM
This came from far-left field...

OnBake Platinum
02-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Wow, the screen shots of smugglers run made it look like shit.

And there was a half track? (Baja ftw)

Gookanheimer
02-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Am I the only one who thought of Jack Thompson as soon as they found out about this?

stanDarsh
02-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Well I can't say I saw that one coming. I'd also be surprised if it's released here in Aus. Bloody OFLC, give us an R18 rating for games already! That said, i bought the original Mahunt on PS2 some time ago, and I didn't care for it too much, I may pick it up on Wii, but i'm not 100% on that.

PSXBatou
02-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Wasn't Manhunt:SF/Manhunt:NY a series of really old PC games? I seem to remember having 5 1/4" Floppy discs of games called manhunt. They required at least CGA graphics, and reccommended EGA graphics so I can only imagine how old they are.

That said i hope its controls are more refined than the latest batch of FPS games on the Wii.

Viper
02-07-2007, 02:26 PM
It's the sequel to this (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/manhunt/index.html?q=manhunt).

HolyPaladin
02-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I didn't notice a mention of this, so I'll throw it out there in case there's somebody that hasn't yet seen it.

IGN has a brief teaser video clip. It doesn't show much of anything, but it's all I've seen of Manhunt 2 so far. I didn't play the original game, but I am a fan of the GTA series and there's something else I've played from Rockstar that I can't put my finger on at the moment, so I'm interested.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/883/883115/vids_1.html

pac4life
02-07-2007, 11:53 PM
For the Nintendo-Only console peeps, Manhunt was a good game - great story and fun...it was very mature for sure yes...

So this is good news because the Wii mote will make it fresh and sweet.

I'm gonna keep my eye out for this one...Expect Rockstar to go all out on this...

See what they squeezed outta the PSP with GTA?

^ @ Holy

Might it be Max Payne?

HolyPaladin
02-08-2007, 01:18 AM
^ @ Holy

Might it be Max Payne?

Nah. I know what it was, now. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition.

Methusaleh
02-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Anyone else guessing this will be no more than a half-hearted PS2 port with Wii controls slapped on?

Viper
02-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Most likely but it's more than GC got so it's a start.

HolyPaladin
02-09-2007, 03:30 AM
Anyone else guessing this will be no more than a half-hearted PS2 port with Wii controls slapped on?

Yes, I was pretty much expecting that. If they do more with it, great; I'll be pleasantly surprised. If not, then at least I never got my hopes up. Regardless, I guess I'd take a half-hearted PS2-to-Wii port with Wiimote controls than nothing at all. If it sells, maybe it'll convince Rockstar to offer up something more serious for the Wii later on.

Methusaleh
02-12-2007, 10:39 AM
If it sells...
I think we learned last generation how well we can expect a crappy PS2 port to sell on a Nintendo console. Perhaps this lesson was somehow lost on Rockstar?

koten
02-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Or perhaps rockstar is giving it a shot because of how many people currently own a Wii and how hard it is to find one despite it being out for over 3 months.

Last generation and this one cannot be linked so easily. Nintendo has already proven that it is a wildcard this generation, and there is no telling how this is going to turn out.

Viper
02-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I think we learned last generation how well we can expect a crappy PS2 port to sell on a Nintendo console. Perhaps this lesson was somehow lost on Rockstar?Last gen you didn't get anything different by playing ti on GC. Now you get the satisfaction of cracking open a skull with a solid swing of your Wii-mote.

The Wii appeals to the inner sadist in us all.

Methusaleh
02-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Last gen you didn't get anything different by playing ti on GC. Now you get the satisfaction of cracking open a skull with a solid swing of your Wii-mote.

The Wii appeals to the inner sadist in us all.

LOL, point taken.

I just wonder, if it's only to be a rush-job port, whether discerning Nintendo customers will largely stay away and Rockstar will say, "See? 3rd parties don't sell on Nintendo platforms!"

Now, if this were a high-budget, high-concept, built-for-Wii-from-the-ground-up situation, the outcome would stand a better chance of being different than last time around and they might actually consider bringing their premiere franchises (or even better, some originals) to the table.

I'll be watching with interest to see how this plays out.

Viper
02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
While this is definitely nothing more than an feeler product (a port to feel the market). I think given the low price and sadist appeal, it will attract a few buyers that normally shy away from Nintendo's family friendly offerings.

If it sells enough to return a profit and proves the use of the Wii-mote for brain bashing is a hit among the older gaming segment, we'll get more and eventually exclusives and high production titles.

pac4life
02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Which hopefully happens ^

I know most the nintendo people on these forums bought and supported good "mature" games like MGS:TS and RE4, so if Manhunt 2 is worthy of a purchase then i think it should be tried out at least by everyone. By the time it comes out in the summer, there will also be a lot more Wii's around.

The question is, if Older people and women are the ones that are aiding in widening the market, will these type of games appeal to them? Or will the core audience still be a limited niche its always been? Or can Nintendo appeal to the "hip" generation...I've seen a lotta "Stylish" people @ my Uni who are walking around with DS lites, so i guess you never know. The question is ultimatly is the audience there on the Wii for this tittle? And say tittles like this help GROW that audience, will developers give up if initially it doesn't seel a lot of copies?

Personally even with a PS2 I would prefer the Wii version simply because of the controls, they really make simple things completely fresh...like Wii Sports blew me away initally because the entire experience felt brand new and as i'm playing through God of War, i can't help but think how the game would play and look better on the Wii....

venomv
02-13-2007, 07:35 PM
The last game was absolutly boring and stupid, I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole......

disrupter006
02-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Hopefully they don't just use the PS2 graphics engine on the Wii and that maybe the only reason they are not putting it on the PS3 or Xbox 360...easier to put it on the lower end graphical systems...

Generosity of God
02-17-2007, 11:33 PM
i am half interested in this game but like i think i said before it probably wont be released in australia because of the lack of an R18+ rating. that means importing from EU or NZ which i may end up doing sometime.

did anybody listen to IGNs latest "Wii-k in Review"?

i must say (almost admirably), Miss Chobot has a fairly gruesome mind. she said something along the lines of "i'm waiting to see how they use the Wii Remote's speaker" and "imagine stabbing a guy with a piece of glass and hearing it and there's a little rumbe as you twist it inside his body". quit sick yet they do bring up a good point.

if all the Wii Remote features will be used properly, then the Wii version should be the more gruesome of the lot. what i mean is the sound, rumble and motion sensing of the Wii Remote should make it at least feel more violent.

<3frosty
02-18-2007, 04:30 AM
i think the reason they are releasing it on the PS2 is because they are quite familiar with the platform and it STILL has an incredible install base... it should also be available to play through the PS3... the only people missing out on this game is the Xbox camp... and to my knowledge, they missed out on the first one anyways...

so, i dont know how much they are going to be personalizing this game for the Wii, but hopefully they take full advantage of the Wii hardware... HOPEFULLY.

Teh Roxor!
02-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Interestingly, Suda 51 promises his game "No More Heroes" will be as violent if not more violent than Manhunt 2.
From IGN:

We are tuning up No More Heroes to be simple and comfortable, but exciting and refreshing as a game. The game has a unique sense of humor and I hope fans will be excited about and look forward to it. ?

?I'll also try my best to make No More Heroes as violent, or even more violent than Manhunt 2!

And there is no way this can be a PS2 port.

Gookanheimer
02-18-2007, 09:04 AM
I like the sound of that!

Unless it makes it get banned here. If it does, I will hurt the OFLC.

cliffbo
02-18-2007, 02:50 PM
New York, NY - February 6, 2007 - Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce Manhunt 2 for the PlayStation 2 system, PSP system, and Nintendo’s Wii™. Manhunt 2 is the debut title from the newly formed Rockstar London studio, which is developing the game in conjunction with series creator Rockstar North. The Wii™ version is being developed by Rockstar Toronto. Manhunt 2 will be available this summer.

“With Manhunt 2 we have tried to create a game that stays close to the original concept of chilling suspense and stealth, whilst pushing the game design and storytelling forward,” said Sam Houser, founder and executive producer of Rockstar Games. “We are also excited to have our newest development team, Rockstar London, working on the title alongside our two established UK studios, Rockstar North and Leeds.”

what makes you think its an exclusive???????

putting plastic bags over heads to kill people is the reason i won't entertain this title.

Sandman
02-18-2007, 03:28 PM
He was saying for the next gen consoles it's a Wii exclusive.