PDA

View Full Version : Sony shipped 1 mil in NA!!! ~_~

EvilTaru
01-07-2007, 08:40 PM
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&Date=20070107&ID=6320540

Yep yep!!!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/EvilTaru/gladtomeetya.gif

Thanks to Elios83 from gaf for the link.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/EvilTaru/gladtomeetya.gif

Keep up the good work, Sony!!!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/EvilTaru/gladtomeetya.gif

Please keep the system war garbage to a minimum in this thread, thanks.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/EvilTaru/gladtomeetya.gif

cliffbo
01-07-2007, 08:44 PM
"Are we worried about strong sales of the Wii or Xbox 360? Not really," he said. "It was a great year for the industry overall. With the tide all ships rise."

i love this quote

gibmonster
01-07-2007, 09:14 PM
i love this quote

I concur

Pumpkin Head
01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
+ rep to you buddy.Also +rep to sony..

frosty
01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
and they've shipped 500k in japan last I checked, so looks like us that predicted 1.5 mil were right.

jaxmkii
01-07-2007, 09:50 PM
OMG and its reported buy MSN!

this is good...

how dose this compare to PS2s time line?

Pumpkin Head
01-07-2007, 10:00 PM
keep rolling them ps3s in sony.

BahnNZ
01-07-2007, 10:08 PM

Don't ask. :)

Clixx
01-07-2007, 10:35 PM
If PS3 indeed has sold more than 1 mil, then the adoption rate is comparable to that of 360 a year ago,
except of course 360 was selling in all 3 territories as opposed to just NA and Japan.
People tend to overlook this little piece of information for some reason when comparing sales numbers.

jaxmkii
01-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Don't ask. :)
no realy tell me the truth good or bad.

to be honest i dont care about 360 or Wii i want to see how it stacks up to its daddy.

Gegenki
01-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Applefiend does that mean bad good or just tooo damn long to find out

If PS3 indeed has sold more than 1 mil, then the adoption rate is comparable to that of 360 a year ago,
except of course 360 was selling in all 3 territories as opposed to just NA and Japan.
People tend to overlook this little piece of information for some reason when comparing sales numbers.

They also tend to talk about the amount sold only rather than the amount sold against the amount put onto the market but hey, thats the way the media runs

BahnNZ
01-07-2007, 10:44 PM
On the first weekend PS2 went on sale in Japan 900,000 units were sold.

But obviously the supply issues are different so you know...

Gegenki
01-07-2007, 10:47 PM
And cost, but wow, ps2 made a killing

Garfunkel
01-07-2007, 11:03 PM
and still is making a killing.

+rep

gozirah
01-07-2007, 11:04 PM
They also tend to talk about the amount sold only rather than the amount sold against the amount put onto the market but hey, thats the way the media runs

I keep on hearing this, but I must ask whether there is ever any reliable source of information on actual sold versus shipped. Isn't NPD the only organization that bothers to do this difficult research? And they only provide press releases once in a while. It seems like without reliable reports gathering reports from all retail vendors, the only number that are available are those for shipped.

OmniStalgic
01-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Well unless there's like a serious drought of software...those shipped number usually get sold eventually. Sony got some flak on the boards about shipped vs. Sold because it took much longer for those PSP's to actually sell there shipments because of lack of software.

360 is not at 10 million yet, probably, but it soon will because it can't be far behind (Gears of War sold a few consoles I believe)

The Wii is actually the fastest selling console, at this rate, it'll catch 360 sales in Spring and will be the market leader for the remainder of 07 (Depending on Halo 3 sales)

Good start for PS3...They got the shipments worked out, now all they need to do is load the system with compelling software for the units to actually sell. March is gonna be HUGE!

It'll be interesting to see what software really gives a system the advantage in 07. MS looks to have a lot of compelling software for 07-but it's all kinda of action/FPS stuff. I think Wii will certainly have a big year. And Lair/Heavenly Sword should sell a few PS3's if the developers live up to the hype.

Smokey
01-07-2007, 11:30 PM

except 360 didnt get to aus till march 06 as with ps3 not long now though :)

Elios
01-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Well unless there's like a serious drought of software...those shipped number usually get sold eventually. Sony got some flak on the boards about shipped vs. Sold because it took much longer for those PSP's to actually sell there shipments because of lack of software.

360 is not at 10 million yet, probably, but it soon will because it can't be far behind (Gears of War sold a few consoles I believe)

The Wii is actually the fastest selling console, at this rate, it'll catch 360 sales in Spring and will be the market leader for the remainder of 07 (Depending on Halo 3 sales)

Good start for PS3...They got the shipments worked out, now all they need to do is load the system with compelling software for the units to actually sell. March is gonna be HUGE!

It'll be interesting to see what software really gives a system the advantage in 07. MS looks to have a lot of compelling software for 07-but it's all kinda of action/FPS stuff. I think Wii will certainly have a big year. And Lair/Heavenly Sword should sell a few PS3's if the developers live up to the hype.

You're overstimating Wii, Nintendo plans to ship only two million units worldwide in the January-March period, 6 million units by the end of March are expcted,the same target Sony still holds to officially.
Nintendo was smart to sell all the units they could using the holyday season and thanks to the low price and easy to manufacture hardware.But sales will slow down in 2007.

As for the PS3 in actual sales they are ahead of where Microsoft was last year in the same time frame which is postive thing.Now it would nice to have news (positive ones) about the european launch.

OmniStalgic
01-07-2007, 11:43 PM
You're overstimating Wii, Nintendo plans to ship only two million units worldwide in the January-March period, 6 million units by the end of March are expcted,the same target Sony still holds to officially.
Nintendo was smart to sell all the units they could using the holyday season and thanks to the low price and easy to manufacture hardware.But sales will slow down in 2007.

As for the PS3 in actual sales they are ahead of where Microsoft was last year in the same time frame which is postive thing.Now it would nice to have news (positive ones) about the european launch.Yeah but the demand for the Wii is still high even after Holiday's. While you can find PS3 now in January, the software just isn't sending it flying off shelves. Wii's are gone in the same week though. If Nintendo can get them out there, I think they can have a very strong early 07...PS3's software won't catch up until march at the earliest. And won't offer up enough unique and compelling experiences until that time either. We'll see though I have high hopes for Lair...

Elios
01-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Yeah but the demand for the Wii is still high even after Holiday's. While you can find PS3 now in January, the software just isn't sending it flying off shelves. Wii's are gone in the same week though. If Nintendo can get them out there, I think they can have a very strong early 07...PS3's software won't catch up until march at the earliest. And won't offer up enough unique and compelling experiences until that time either. We'll see though I have high hopes for Lair...

It's highly probable that at this point Sony is outshipping Nintendo by a good margin.In the article posted above Sony says they can continue to do weekly air shipping through spring if necessary,that's unbelievable,it's a terrific commitment to get units on the market as soon as possible.It's true that PS3 software lineup will start to get strong only in late February/March but Sony is still at a point with the installed base where all the units are still bought by fans who are going to buy it anyway so a January software black out it's not a big damage.Spring will be a strong period for PS3 and as times go on the Wii novelty effect will fade out and it's all about the software (which honestly I don't believe the Wii has compared to PS3/Xbox360).Of course in late spring Sony should start worrying about the price.... but that's an other story.

OmniStalgic
01-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Agree...good post...Although I don't expect a price drop till at least the end of the year. That's why I think Sony should really push motion control in there games...The only way to get people to fork over more money is if PS3 looks like it does what 360 and Wii does-only better or at least just as good in one machine...They're gonna need a lot more Lair/Warhawk type titles to prove this is the console to own. And we still don't know what's going to happen with that firmware update in March, Next-gen Eye Toy, and European's launch. Good times ahead aint it?

Luis
01-08-2007, 01:34 AM
PS3 launch outsells 360 launch! (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/ps3-launch-outsells-xbox-360-launch-226742.php)

It has to be quite remarkable considering it's Kotaku who's reporting! May that deserve its own thread?

KuroTori says:

Did you hear that?

That was the sound of Blu-Ray winning the format war.:evillaugh

LiquidEagle
01-08-2007, 01:56 AM
Good stuff. We still have 2 in my store that have been there for nearly 4 days if somebody still wants to buy :laugh:

In the midst of all the cynicism coming at Sony, it's good to see some solid numbers and an undaunted outlook for Spring.

PS3 has been outshipping the crap out of the Wii for the past couple of weeks when I look at my store and the Target next to me (we get employees from their electronics dept. who love to give us their opinion). Like I've said before, I'm very impressed with Sony's ability to get these into stores. Now I'd love to see them get on their toes PR-wise and squelch some rumors about various things that are still sadly floating around, and really get their message across with their console. Also, they really need to get on this software drought ASAP. MotorStorm & Lair look amazing, but I'd love to see them working more with third parties still too.

Clixx
01-08-2007, 02:12 AM
except 360 didn't get to aus till march 06 as with ps3 not long now though :)

I actually meant NA, Japan and Europe as 3 regions. Australia is a special case and its population isn't
that great to make a significant sway in numbers.
Euro launch should be interesting.

Smokey
01-08-2007, 02:13 AM
I actually meant NA, Japan and Europe as 3 regions. Australia is a special case and its population isn't
that great to make a significant sway in numbers.
Euro launch should be interesting.

lol.... wheres the love

LaLiLuLeLo
01-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Oh god I started reading the comments after the article and it just turns into a pissing contest.

Smokey
01-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Oh god I started reading the comments after the article and it just turns into a pissing contest.

true thats why im staying clear of the thread.

frosty
01-08-2007, 02:36 AM
the thread is fine, it will be strictly moderated.

julps31
01-08-2007, 02:52 AM
Yea frosty's got the belt ready for all those that need whippin... lol. This is great new btw. Now all they need is to sell em all and get some software on the shelves.

Zer0-Sum
01-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Good for Sony and good for PS3. I am glad to see it selling like this. :rockon: I expect it will continue to keep selling like this despite the dismay of all who profess to hate Sony and everything they do. I hope this news shows all third party Devs that the PS brand is alive and well and to abandon it is folly.

I also expect the level of negativity and FUD that is pumped out of the Internet daily to increase with the advent of this news. The Anti-Sony Bloggers and FUD spreaders will call it a Sony made lie. Just wait and watch, because Microsoft and all their little "unofficial" cronies are going to pour it on. I expect it will get a whole lot nastier than better in the next few weeks. But what ever. Fun is to be had by all gamers.

OmniStalgic
01-08-2007, 03:49 AM
You know what Sony should do quickly? Make the PS store available anywhere! Of course the Ps3 one will have specific content, but there's no reason the store should be confined to PS3 owners.

If Blu-ray takes off...people could simply buy blank Blu-rays and download right to there disc. Or people could just have a bunch of content on there PC's. PS store needs to expand as much as PS3's hardware...

Viper
01-08-2007, 04:01 AM
PS2 sales were far higher in both regions. Demand, supply, cost and lineup of PS2 simply can't be beaten by PS3.

Be cautious of 'shipped' figures right now. Wait for NPD. Sony overshipped PSP sales so as to appear to be keeping pace with DS but NPD was proving actual sales were much lower. MS just did the same thing by overshipping X360's trying to meet that 10 million unit goal.

I have to agree. That quote is great.

frosty
01-08-2007, 04:09 AM
Well, according to what the article quotes Sony as saying, it's sold in the american retail, not shipped.

Viper
01-08-2007, 04:11 AM
Sold? I already call bullshit then.

frosty
01-08-2007, 04:16 AM
well, we should have monthly sales by now, no?

Viper
01-08-2007, 04:18 AM
By Friday they should be out.

frosty
01-08-2007, 04:22 AM
well, for sony to make such a bold statement right before the numbers release, don't you think they would have re-thought saying that if it weren't true? you know the media will have a field day with it if they BS it.

Smokey
01-08-2007, 04:25 AM
Sold? I already call bullshit then.

i know theres a big dif in sold & shipped :(

Viper
01-08-2007, 04:28 AM
They did it for months with the PSP. Made huge announcements on their sales counts but were way off on actual units sold. I made a thread about it tracked down just how bad they were. 21 million announced but 8 million were completely unaccounted for.

That doesn't mean they are doing it again here but considering this is even more important to them to say their system is selling, I'm highly spektical of any numbers they release for the moment.

LiquidEagle
01-08-2007, 04:29 AM
If you read the comments of that article, I think it becomes pretty clear that Shipped = sold for hardware manufacturers. The companies sell them to distributers like Gamestop or Best Buy when they ship them, so in their (Sony, or whichever hardware manufacturer it is) eyes, the product is sold. the amount that have left stores is debatable, but do you honestly think there are that many PS3s on shelves still? I don't.

Xerxes
01-08-2007, 04:29 AM
Wow only shipped numbers? Where are the units sold? I wouldnt be shocked if they sold 1 million. That doesnt seem impossible especially in the US.

Smokey
01-08-2007, 04:31 AM
I think it becomes pretty clear that Shipped = sold for hardware manufacturers
yeah ive thought that but its a bit of a dodgy way of doing it

liver_kick
01-08-2007, 04:31 AM
Erm, is 1 million PS3's sold really such a stretch for you? I mean, I know there's those anecdotes from Billy at Gamecrazy and my boy Roscoe at Best Buy about the 150 PS3's growing mold on our nation's shelves, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're still selling a couple here and there.

Viper
01-08-2007, 04:34 AM
I said it was possible, didn't I? It's not the possibility I deny, it's the plausibility of Sony's reporting practices.

vdo
01-08-2007, 04:34 AM

according to the Sony CES Keynote:

Apparently the PS3 has sold 1m units faster than PS and PS2, so he sounds pretty optimistic amidst the criticism surrounding Sony of late. Their next goal: 6m by March 2007
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/07/live-from-the-sony-ces-keynote/

As others pointed out, there were supply problems with the PS2, but the fact that Sony is now having less supply issues with PS3 than they did with PS2 would seem to be a postive thing, not something to use to detract from this accomplishment.

And since they don't seem to be distancing themselves from the 6 million by March comment, and in fact are strongly reiterating it, they must not be yet seeing a slowdown in demand that would cause them to not meet those numbers. At least, I would think that if they had started seeing a slowdown, they might not announce lower numbers, but I think they would at least not keep reiterating the 6 million. You can never tell with PR though - maybe they think the risk of keeping on stating the 6 million number (maybe to promote confidence in the brand) is worth the backlash in negative press if they don't make the numbers.

Viper
01-08-2007, 04:37 AM
PS2 launched with virtually no competition from that gen. PS3 already has stiff competition from both. It will tougher this time to keep PS2 like sales going for PS3.

Having better supply is a definite plus. They just need to reinvigorate the demand for the system.

frosty
01-08-2007, 04:40 AM
MY prediction: Lull until march (get ready for lotsa negativity in the media), Motorstorm, HS, Lair, etc. launch and sales get a boost. Summer approaches and MGS4 and Killzone begin flooding the media, boosting sales again. E3 hits, playables of FF13, KZ, MGS4, etc. flood the media boosting sales yet again, fall MGS4 and GTA4 drop, boosting sales yet again, then we move into the christmas season again. So, it'll look grim for a while, but will look a lot better very soon after.

Xerxes
01-08-2007, 04:42 AM
It's 6 million by March 2007 I don't believe.

liver_kick
01-08-2007, 04:45 AM
I said it was possible, didn't I? It's not the possibility I deny, it's the plausibility of Sony's reporting practices.

As far as I know Sony (and MS) always count shipped, not sold. As I understand it, getting the system in retailers hands is the equivalent in their business view. So it's not so much "reporting practices" you should be focusing on, it's the current context. According to Sony there's over 1 million PS3 that have gone through the retail channel as of (insert date here), how many do you expect have actually been sold to consumers? At this juncture, probably most of them (Roscoe at Best Buy aside).

Viper
01-08-2007, 04:47 AM
http://www.refreshthing.com/index.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.refreshthing.com%2F ps3%2F&timeout=30

Best Buy isn't the only one with units sitting idle.

liver_kick
01-08-2007, 04:49 AM
http://www.refreshthing.com/index.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.refreshthing.com%2F ps3%2F&timeout=30

Thanks for answering my question.

Kabbage
01-08-2007, 04:50 AM
I love Sony, seriously --not ultimate fanboy love, but gamers love-- some rough spots in the road aren't going to turn me from the company that has given me great gaming over the last 10 years.

8_Bit
01-08-2007, 04:58 AM

Your source sucks.

It lists Amazon as "available" but they are not. They sold out last week. The only ones available on Amazon are private sales in the "New and Used" section. The cheapest 60GB is over $750.

All the others listed as "available" are actually bundles once you get them in the cart. Try it. I did. I'm looking for one for my girlfriend's little brother.

The only one that site gets right is BestBuy.com, which has non-bundled systems available right now, but has been on and off for the last week. Sometimes in stock, sometimes not.

(60GB ordered!)

Really, Viper. Troll all you want, (I guess supplying units is a bad thing in your opinion,) but at least check your sources.

frosty
01-08-2007, 05:00 AM
calm down dude, Viper is the farthest thing from a troll. Having a bad source isn't "trolling". It's called a mistake. And you wonder why the rest of e-mpire describes this forum like it were Mordor?

gozirah
01-08-2007, 05:01 AM
And since they don't seem to be distancing themselves from the 6 million by March comment, and in fact are strongly reiterating it, they must not be yet seeing a slowdown in demand that would cause them to not meet those numbers. At least, I would think that if they had started seeing a slowdown, they might not announce lower numbers, but I think they would at least not keep reiterating the 6 million.

I do not see a particular reason to revise their goal. Their main obstacle is production. Even if demand with more casual gamers was stymied by the price or initial paucity in game selection, launching in other territories catches the early adopters. This is a cool trick that Microsoft played: 10.4 million since November 2005 with 37 countries. Sony should setup its troops in NA now, and then Europe and Australia. By March, send on Heavenly Sword for the kill.

LaLiLuLeLo
01-08-2007, 05:07 AM
We should make a sticky saying you can't attack viper and call him troll or fanboy, because he's just one of the guys putting some much needed counter-perspective in this section of the gaming forums. His posts are never him being a jerk, so don't be quick to name-call. That's not ballah.

Viper
01-08-2007, 05:08 AM
8 bit, did I say anything about them being bundled or not? No. Simply that there is more available than there has been. Besides, who plans on buying a console and no games anyway (Ebay bitches aside)?

Thanks for the back up, fellas.

Xerxes
01-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Well one reason why the PS3 isn't selling as much as it could is because:

1.) Christmas is over! Sells are obviously higher during Christmas!
2.) Many people don't have their Income Tax yet! You need money.
3.) Were the hell are the games and EYETOY?

LiquidEagle
01-08-2007, 05:18 AM
Reporting units shipped isn't just a Sony practice, it's everybody's practice. Sony, MS, & Nintendo sell them to retailers, and the retailers sell them in turn -- Sony sold 1 million, and it's not like those extra few hundred or thousand aren't going to sell. You can get technical if you want about whether they've left store shelves and gone to consumers, but it's not just Sony that reports it that way, it's an industry practice -- wait for NPD numbers or something if you want specifics, but it's not Sony's court to determine every single PS3 that's sold once they've already put it in the hands of a consumer. Nobody challenges other companies when they put out numbers of shipped units -- why all the negativity and harshness when Sony announces their numbers?

Viper, you're a good man and a great poster, so don't think I'm singling you out with that, it goes for all the skeptics out there who love to pop out of the woodwork whenever Sony says something.

btw, lol @ "Ebay bitches" :laugh: nice one

8_Bit
01-08-2007, 05:44 AM
calm down dude, Viper is the farthest thing from a troll. Having a bad source isn't "trolling". It's called a mistake. And you wonder why the rest of e-mpire describes this forum like it were Mordor?

You are correct. I don't know for a fact that he was trolling, I made an assumption based on his conduct in these sales threads, and for that, I apologize.

You've been chatting with him in this thread, so you tell me...he's straight-up called "bullshit" on the number, without any information to back up his claim in one post, said PS3 couldn't possibly match PS2's numbers (even though Kotaku is saying PS3 has beaten PS2's numbers now) in another, and has simply stated that no matter what is said, he simply doesn't believe Sony's numbers in yet another post. Do those sound like rational debate points to you? Then, he makes the "mistake" of putting this bogus source out there.

He makes a lot of these "mistakes." He made another "mistake" in the other sales thread that he had to back away from. Strangely, that "mistake" also involved an attempt of his to talk down the PS3's sales. A coincidence, I'm sure.

As far as you attempting to characterize my correction of his "mistake" like I was jumping down his throat or whatever, he has posted that "source" of his in more than one post on this forum:

Here is something intersting. I don't know how accurate these are but they are worth taking a look at.

Sony PS3 Availability

Nintendo Wii Availability

It basically shows high availability for both models of PS3 and high scarcity for Wii. Sony has definitly stepped up their shipping but is that the problem now?

http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php?p=1365377&postcount=39

I didn't even bother correcting the "mistake" then, even though I knew it was a bad source when he posted it, and he's clearly using is to imply that supply might not be the problem, there is low demand for PS3, a popular talking-point currently for Nintendo fan/warriors. He obviously never checked up on the source, yet he continued to post that bunk link.

I only bothered to correct him here because he failed to use the disclaimer he used the first time he posted this link.

How many time should I have let him post information I knew to be flawed before I corrected him, frosty?

Needless to say, I disagree with your decision to tag this whole issue with a line like "And you wonder why the rest of e-mpire describes this forum like it were Mordor?"

That was unfair to me, since I obviously didn't jump on him in the first instance, even though I knew the truth behind that link. If my conduct was deserving of your implied characterization, I wouldn't have shown such casual disregard the first time.

frosty
01-08-2007, 06:03 AM
The latter comment was simply made because I feel as a whole we've been tossing around that terminology a bit too much. I'm so sick of seeing the word fanboy and troll... However, Viper calling bullshit was simply his experience in the field of console shipments/sales. Have a look at his thread in general gaming where he provides the weekly and monthly sales for each console, he knows his numbers. It was simply his prediction, that 1 million sold would become 1 million shipped once the numbers are out. It's happened with many companies before, so it's not like this is an isolated incident. It very well may be true, but he just said that as a prediction and nothing more.

And if you see someone post something incorrect, politely correct them. Don't let them post on that false information until you get fed up and accuse them of trolling.

Pluto
01-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Wow. Positive news from Sony.

I guess when facts stand out enough, even a site like Kotaku will admit to it.

Too bad I have yet to get a Playstation 3 yet..I'm still searching. :loser:

Garfunkel
01-08-2007, 06:07 AM
To sony's point of view, shipped is the same as sold.

If they sell to THEIR customers (bestbuy, gamestop etc) then that is their business out of the way, it is up to those shops to sell to THEIR customers, not Sony directly, therefore, it is not a bad practice to claim shipped numbers over sold numbers.

frosty
01-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Order one from bestbuy.com Nova, think they still have em' in stock.

8_Bit
01-08-2007, 06:10 AM
8 bit, did I say anything about them being bundled or not? No. Simply that there is more available than there has been. Besides, who plans on buying a console and no games anyway (Ebay bitches aside)?

Thanks for the back up, fellas.

There's a big difference in bundles and no bundles to consumers, Viper. Don't feign like you don't recognize that fact. You are smarter than that.

Remember also, that Comp USA (one of the vendors listed twice in your link as "Available," when in fact, they are Sold out completely now, too) used to require not just a games purchase with their bundles, but an HDTV purchase as well! They only recently dropped that bundle demand, but most consumers probably don't know if that policy is still in place or not. Obviously sales at Comp are OK now, since they are sold out.

Also, thanks for completely glossing over my pointing out of the fact that your bogus source lists Amazon as "Available" when it's only "Available" if you want to pay someone off-site over $150 over retail.

But I guess it's a little harder to defend that one, huh? I see why you just ignored me on that point, and went straight to the lame defense of bundles. Which was kind of strange, because I seem to remember you aren't a fan of bundles.

Pluto
01-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Since I wont be paying for the console myself, my parents would only buy it from the store. They're paranoid about putting their credit card information through the internet, so..blah.

What are the chances of me walking into a store and being able to get one?

frosty
01-08-2007, 06:15 AM
you live in jersey, gljvd works at a gamestop in jersey and is always bragging about how they have a stack of units collecting dust in there, so why don't you go call him out on it? Go into general gaming and ask him.

Edit: couldn't find it, but did find a post saying it was in a mall.

Pluto
01-08-2007, 06:19 AM
I could've come into contact with that trolling monkey..that's creepy.

I've called the local Ebgames over and over, and they insist on telling me that they're going to receive some shortly.

frosty
01-08-2007, 06:20 AM
hang on, I can even get the store number that he works at...

Edit: Couldn't find it, but did find a post saying it was in a mall.

Pluto
01-08-2007, 06:36 AM
Yeah. The Ebgames that I go to regularly is in a mall.

Small world. Needs to get bigger..fast. :look:

Garfunkel
01-08-2007, 07:24 AM
Yeah. The Ebgames that I go to regularly is in a mall.

Small world. Needs to get bigger..fast. :look:

uh oh, so you might have been served by gljvd once??? wow, that is not good, i can imagine what he tells his customers:

"ps3 is teh ghay, the xbox 360 is the best and microsoft are very innovative and are really great, sony is dumb". fits him to a tea!

frosty
01-08-2007, 07:28 AM
OK... let's get back on topic and not bash other members...

Danji
01-08-2007, 07:34 AM
I am a little surprised at this number. On all accounts people were making it sound like the Blu-Ray drives completely prevented sales in excess amounts to the point of being much worse than the 360 launch. In fact..this news is very good. Looks very good for Sony. Perhaps they can get the Euro launch down in March with a large number ready to ship.

Logan Cano
01-08-2007, 08:01 AM
I find this very surprising. I was very skeptical on whether Sony would actually reach the 1 million target for NA. Obviously, Sony had to borrow a few from Japan for NA, since the competition is much fiercer here than in their homeland, where they are the only source of...traditional gaming.

As for the Viper issue...yeah, I believe he's trolling. Saying "oh, that's BS" and posting incorrect sources continuously is NOT providing a counter view.

Smokey
01-08-2007, 08:17 AM
I find this very surprising. I was very skeptical on whether Sony would actually reach the 1 million target for NA. Obviously, Sony had to borrow a few from Japan for NA, since the competition is much fiercer here than in their homeland, where they are the only source of...traditional gaming.

As for the Viper issue...yeah, I believe he's trolling. Saying "oh, that's BS" and posting incorrect sources continuously is NOT providing a counter view.

whats with all this VIPER & trolling shit, c'mon people WTF? he aint no troll!

Garfunkel
01-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Viper is a cool guy, he has his own opinions just as everyone else, leave him alone.

@Logan Cano: What about nintendo, aren't they a compeitior in Japan, a force to be reckoned with as of late with the wii?

Logan Cano
01-08-2007, 08:28 AM
whats with all this VIPER & trolling shit, c'mon people WTF? he aint no troll!

Well, he is not providing any good discussion either. Is debate so bad in quality these days that a "that's BS" comment and knowingly wrong sources posted continuously constitutes a worthy counterpoint??

Viper is a cool guy, he has his own opinions just as everyone else, leave him alone.

Who ever said he couldn't have an opinion?? I just think that if a person is going to call BS on a claim, then an explanation that supports that point of view with proper sources is expected. That didn't happen, hence I interpret it as trolling. That's my last comment about that issue, I don't think it's more important than the actual topic.

@Logan Cano: What about nintendo, aren't they a compeitior in Japan, a force to be reckoned with as of late with the wii?

Oh, of course they are. The competition is just as fierce, however wii targets a different market IMO. You simply won't get traditional games on anything other than a PS3 over there, unlike NA.

Luis
01-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Viper is no troll, although I'd prefer him to post here about subjects other than "Nintendo fans went through this for the last decade" and "No, PS3 sales figures are not good", which account for the vast majority of his posts and it gets really tiring. We all would appreciate discussing the games for their own merits more oftenly. No offense meant, Viper. It's just what I think.

Z
01-08-2007, 11:37 AM
I am a little surprised at this number. On all accounts people were making it sound like the Blu-Ray drives completely prevented sales in excess amounts to the point of being much worse than the 360 launch. In fact..this news is very good. Looks very good for Sony. Perhaps they can get the Euro launch down in March with a large number ready to ship.
I thought so as well. and when Sony said the production issues have been worked out, I was expecting months till I see real-world change. it all happened fast. too fast, in fact.

I wonder how much they could deliver for the Euro launch?

Garfunkel
01-08-2007, 12:04 PM
really, with the way their supply is they could launch in march with 2million all up.

Viper
01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I even stated in the other thread that I can't guarantee the validity of the status they list on that site however most are still correct. It's not a bogus site either (what exactly is that anyway?). It simply needs either an update or a better tracking system to note whats available or not. I do wish it would say 'bundle' for those all units, not just some, that are part of a bundle on the PS3 page. They do for the Wii page.

As Frosty stated, I follow the numbers to a detail few here do. I have them tracked back for years on a monthly and weekly basis including hundreds of game titles (check the General Gaming board). When I call BS on numbers, it's not trolling, its experience talking. I'm sorry if I didn't explain that to you directly when I made that post but most everyone here knows I follow the numbers so I don't need to post a disclaimer if I call something as I see it.

Two analytical groups, one being IDC who are very good with numbers, are claiming between 700k and 750k were sold through to 12/31/2006. Combine that with my own predictions for the time period and it's easy to see why I'm jumping on the numbers so harshly. A 75% sell through is not a sell out and given all the hype and rumblings of limited availability, that's not good. Nor is it right to proclaim sell outs and harping your 1 million shipped figures is just a paper victory. It's great they can supply the retail channels well now but it's misleading as it's not applicable as actual retail sales are not keeping pace.

Now some of you can pounce on the fact I don't sugar coat but I'm sick of the sugar coated BS PR speak (this goes for all companies).

wotter
01-08-2007, 03:36 PM
really, with the way their supply is they could launch in march with 2million all up.

I hope you're right...

game designer
01-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I really hope there are some strong demos released for the January Lull. Or at the very least, some HD footage of these games available in the PSN Store. Give us a few new demos to show off to our friends, and we'll convince em. :)

GD

frosty
01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Viper is right. However, Sony can claim they've sold 1 mil to the retail channel (like they specifically said) being that the retailers buy PS3's from them, and wouldn't buy more than they need. From what I hear your average PS3 sitting on the shelf scenario is only 3-4 units per store, which is hardly overstocked.

OmniStalgic
01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Sony said they've sold 1 million units! When actually with returns/faultysystems/preorders not being payed, it's probably more like 750,000-850,000 people out there with PS3. It's the truth-PERIOD.

This is great news either way, it means when the content comes, and people actually are buying PS3's all over the place, Sony will be ready to serve us.

Quit bickering girls...

LaLiLuLeLo
01-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Viper is right. However, Sony can claim they've sold 1 mil to the retail channel (like they specifically said) being that the retailers buy PS3's from them, and wouldn't buy more than they need. From what I hear your average PS3 sitting on the shelf scenario is only 3-4 units per store, which is hardly overstocked.

Yeah, people act like just because they see PS3s sitting there, not flying off the shelves right before their very eyes in a hedonism-bot like fashion that the PS3 is tanking. They're sitting there nice and comfy right next to the mountain of 360s, it's post holiday season people, use your noodle.

Garfunkel
01-08-2007, 10:51 PM
the only reason the wii is selling so well post holiday season is because it is so cheap.

masteratt
01-08-2007, 10:53 PM
the ONLY reason? lol cmon now...

give it some credit. it's fun and playable by everyone.

Pluto
01-08-2007, 11:29 PM
^ That's decidable by the individual playing.

And I completely agree with him when he says that. All those grannies and parents looking to buy their kids something for Christmas are going to opt for a cheap system. And, voila.

LaLiLuLeLo
01-08-2007, 11:55 PM
the ONLY reason? lol cmon now...

give it some credit. it's fun and playable by everyone.

yeah I know some people love it, some people hate it, different strokes for different folks. That's the nature of anything that divergent of course.

masteratt
01-08-2007, 11:57 PM
yeeees, that's exactly what im saying

so it didnt sell JUST BECAUSE it was cheap. thats just being arrogant.

the only problem Wii has is novelty value. which already wore off on me to be honest.

OmniStalgic
01-08-2007, 11:58 PM
yeeees, that's exactly what im saying

so it didnt sell JUST BECAUSE it was cheap. thats just being arrogant.

the only problem Wii has is novelty value. which already wore off on me to be honest.I think i hate the fact that it has batteries. Mine died in 2 days! I mean, I did leave it on while I wasn't playing but still-Batteries for controllers suck!

To be honest though, I haven't touched my 360 after getting Wii...the little Wii sports and Wii play games may just be novelty fun and party titles. But Zelda is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time. (Blasphemy for GS for that lousy review!) I wish I could play God of War 2 on Wii, but Ninty really has to push the controller hard, because when Sony's killer games come out with amazing graphics and motion control, then my Wii will start to collect dust as well...

Logan Cano
01-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Now some of you can pounce on the fact I don't sugar coat but I'm sick of the sugar coated BS PR speak (this goes for all companies).

I haven't been here long, but I think I am more tired of your ignorant rants. Sony said they shipped 1 million consoles, and nothing more. That's the truth.

gozirah
01-09-2007, 01:08 AM
If people in North America want to wait until the killer games come out instead of throwing cash at the Playstation brand 3 seconds after launch, big waaah for the unexpected wave of rationality. Even if there was some flagging interest (which I don't personally believe), that would change as soon as the games arrive.

frosty
01-09-2007, 01:26 AM
I haven't been here long, but I think I am more tired of your ignorant rants. Sony said they shipped 1 million consoles, and nothing more. That's the truth.

This is the exact type of thing that caused all the drama around here recently. Look people, calm down on the negative attitudes. Viper is only saying he doesn't believe Sony has sold 1 mil, but rather shipped 1 million. There are too many PS3's sitting on the shelf for every unit they shipped to be sold right now, which due to it being right after Christmas is to be expected. I personally think Sony has actually Sold around 700-800k in North America, and about 400k in Japan, which is right in line with not only Viper's post but the estimates everyone else is throwing around as well. We will know for sure in a few days when the NPD sales report comes out.

If they did sell 1 million, they've sold about 1.5 million worldwide so far. If they have only sold 700-800k like me and Viper think, then they've sold about 1.2-1.3 million worldwide. Either way, not too shabby numbers, and it's already more than 1/9 of the units 360 was able to sell in over a year sold in just over a month. PS3 is currently outselling 360 in the US and Japanese markets (outselling based on the number of units 360 sold in it's first 6 weeks) so no matter if the numbers Sony is claiming is shipped or sold, it's nothing for anyone to worry about. The system is doing great. Expect a little lull for the next 2 months while people's bank accounts recover from Christmas, and then once the end of Feb. Rolls around and PS3's software arsenal recieves some much needed re-enforcements, things will start to look up very quickly.

jaxmkii
01-09-2007, 01:34 AM
^ That's decidable by the individual playing.

And I completely agree with him when he says that. All those grannies and parents looking to buy their kids something for Christmas are going to opt for a cheap system. And, voila.

humm i wonder how well its sales will continue?

mokmok
01-09-2007, 01:58 AM
I just wanted to check how many PS3s were collecting dust in shops so I went to Best Buy online and guess what - They were all sold out!

I know this will change soon but it's good to see that there is still demand despite what the media says.

Red_Eyes
01-09-2007, 03:38 AM
The people saying that the PS3s are sitting no the shelves are just haters. The most PS3 I saw on the shelves are 3 PS3s at BestBuy. Everywhere else, sold out.

gozirah
01-09-2007, 04:12 AM
The people saying that the PS3s are sitting no the shelves are just haters. The most PS3 I saw on the shelves are 3 PS3s at BestBuy. Everywhere else, sold out.

It's really hard to add up all the anecdotal accounts about stacked shelves versus cases where people are still having a hard time finding one. But if Bestbuy online keeps going in and out, I think its more of a distribution problem then one of demand.

Z
01-09-2007, 06:47 AM
to easily clarify the "sold", "no shipped" dilemma:

GI: “Sold in” means the retailers have the units, correct?

Dille: Correct. What the sell-in number refers to is that we’ve shipped it, we’ve sold it to retail, and the fact that we got to a million was possible because we were air shipping these products in. If we had gone with a boat, there was no way we would have gone to a million. So we’re not playing games with the numbers. These were sold into retail, and you can image the retailer’s incentive: If they’re shipped on a plane, they can go up onto the shelves as quickly as possible. And really, as soon as they’re getting there, they’re evaporating. There’s a tremendous demand.
posted here (http://forums.e-mpire.com/showthread.php?t=67441).

Theo
01-09-2007, 07:29 AM

That would be good, but I'm not having high hopes for a thing like that. The ps3 is going to have a great launch in Europe for sure. It might be the best launch ever because of the games that are being released for the system by then. For Sony to have so many units for the European launch would be very vey nice, but either way that launch will boost the ps3 sales grately. I believe the price will not be as much of an issue over here due to various reasons like compared to the price of ps1 and ps2 when they launched or for the simple reason of the "HD era" really starting to boost (finally) here and people wanting HD stuff what they can add to their new fancy TVs and to what not. The Ps3 will basicly make HD movies possible for the majority of it's buyers in many European countries, because even though many are upgrading their old TVs to HD TVs the exictence of HD players and movies is close to none and the lack of HD content in general. The ps3 will definately make a change in there and blu-ray movies will come along with it. Now if Sony only could indeed answer to the UE launch demand...I can't wait! :)

Viper
01-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I'll give them credit for getting 1 million produced and delivered. Their diode problem doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Europe should go much smoother for them than the other 2 regions did. Europeans should celebrate this news more so than Americans.

the only reason the wii is selling so well post holiday season is because it is so cheap.

If that were the case, GC would have sold well over 100 million.

Garfunkel
01-09-2007, 12:37 PM
you got me there.