PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Linux running on ps3

user friendly
11-18-2006, 03:47 AM
User friendly, those images are *way* too large.

frosty
11-18-2006, 04:06 AM
Link to them instead.

nwo504
11-18-2006, 04:17 AM
hurry

OmniStalgic
11-18-2006, 04:18 AM
SHOW US THE PICS MAN!!!! WHAt KINDA STUNT THREAD IS THIS???!!! Patience is not one of my strong points at the moment

xbdestroya
11-18-2006, 04:20 AM
Here's a thread that gets it all across very succinctly:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35818

casualkiss
11-18-2006, 04:32 AM
The instructions on how to install a version of Linux (produce a standard stage3 image, add a default kernel...) explains why Windows will always be king with consumers.

user friendly
11-18-2006, 04:39 AM
sorry guys most of the other pics have been removed from the guys hosting site as well so just check tha thread (http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=40417)

link to one of the pics (http://img455.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3576eq5.jpg)

OmniStalgic
11-18-2006, 05:02 AM
Nah that's OK man...I'm really waiting for YDL to come anyway since that's the version most of us will probably be using and is most compatible with PS3...tks-some good stuff in those threads...

nwo504
11-18-2006, 07:13 AM
anyone have any idea when ydl 5.0 will be out?

chrismt
11-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Did anyone install Linux? I'm wondering if the swap file would be a godsend for the RAM starved PS3.

gnznroses
11-18-2006, 06:44 PM
someone needs to try and post pics of:
1. an NES or Geneiss emulator
2. a Windows app being emulated (wine or whatever)
3. video streaming off a PC via WiFi.

that's the 3 things i care about basically...

CrumCon
11-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Whats the point having linux running on ps3, when there are no softwares that utilize Cell's SPE.

Luis
11-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Whats the point having linux running on ps3, when there are no softwares that utilize Cell's SPE.So that the community starts developing for Cell? So that PS3 becomes a Linux PC meanwhile no matter what?

:duh: :duh: :duh:

Domination
11-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Wait just a minute. This OS isn't Yellow Dog...is it? I was for sure it launches on a different date.

CrumCon
11-18-2006, 06:55 PM
According to the source, only 197 MB RAM left after the Linux is loaded!!!

it doesnt sound good at all.

you could say good bye to bultitastking and loading multiple OS at once like Sony has promised.

Domination
11-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Whats the point having linux running on ps3, when there are no softwares that utilize Cell's SPE.

Crum, Linux does have software to support it - you just have to fine those that are compatible.

Final and lastly, if you thought the OS wasn't being supported, then why worry about whether it is installed on the HDD or not? C'mon, man, you're killing me here!

Luis
11-18-2006, 07:03 PM

you could say good bye to bultitastking and loading multiple OS at once like Sony has promised.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're getting really ridiculous, CrumCon.

Multitasking is in action here (http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/4241/ps3linuxfb1.jpg). According to them, it performs just fine.

Sony didn't specifically say PS3 would run multiple OSs at once, just that Cell could do that given certain circumstances. In any case, that's not relevant at all for the retail PS3 unit.

Shame on you, CrumCon.

Domination
11-18-2006, 07:06 PM

you could say good bye to bultitastking and loading multiple OS at once like Sony has promised.

The CELL can recognizes several OS at a time, not the HDD that they send you. :honor:

CrumCon
11-18-2006, 07:12 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're getting really ridiculous, CrumCon.

Multitasking is in action here (http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/4241/ps3linuxfb1.jpg). According to them, it performs just fine.

Sony didn't specifically say PS3 would run multiple OSs at once, just that Cell could do that given certain circumstances. In any case, that's not relevant at all for the retail PS3 unit.

Shame on you, CrumCon.

i wouldnt call that HEAVY multi tasking, even my old Pentium 1 ran just fine, just opening one browser and some windows. like on that picture

i would like to see some heavy multitasking.. like using web browser, running limewire, Firefox, IM, running virus scan etc etc.

with less then 197mb left.. you just have to say good bye.

woundingchaney
11-18-2006, 07:14 PM
http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html

I think Im going to try it out.

Where do I get the Linux file?????

Luis
11-18-2006, 07:34 PM
i would like to see some heavy multitasking.. like using web browser, running limewire, Firefox, IM, running virus scan etc etc.Virus scan? On Linux??? :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit: Viruses are not an issue in Linux :laugh:

That shows how little you know about Linux. It will work just fine on PS3. Linux doesn't require as much memory or resources overall as a Windows PC. PS3 has all the hardware you need to make it a decent Linux PC.

Seriously, man: you're getting more and more ridiculous.

xbdestroya
11-18-2006, 07:35 PM
The PS3 *is* running two OS' at once - the XMB OS keeps running in the background.

As for apps that will run on Cell, any app that runs on a PPC Linux distro will run on the PS3.

CrumCon either study up on this stuff or refrain from posting on it.

fanoOne
11-18-2006, 08:35 PM
http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html

I think Im going to try it out.

Where do I get the Linux file?????

For Linux file you mean the Linux Installation iso?

Choose the nearest mirror here (http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/mirrors.html) and navigate in this folders:

5 (for Fedora core 5 - there is 6 too but everibody is testing on 5...)
ppc
iso

PS3 accepts dvd iso only...if in the choseed mirror there is cd iso only choose
another...

You may need this too: ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/Sony-PS3/

Good download and installation...

fano

jm9206755
11-19-2006, 05:23 AM
The instructions on how to install a version of Linux (produce a standard stage3 image, add a default kernel...) explains why Windows will always be king with consumers.

Those instructions are for Gentoo which is a distribution of Linux made SPECIFICALLY for experienced Linux users to tweak or new users wanting to learn about how Linux works (similarly to Linux From Scratch - LFS).

Rubbernek
11-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Crum, Linux does have software to support it - you just have to fine those that are compatible.

Final and lastly, if you thought the OS wasn't being supported, then why worry about whether it is installed on the HDD or not? C'mon, man, you're killing me here!

Crum is a joke character. Best thing to do is just put him on ignore.

Back on topic Linux on PS3 is very very cool.
Can't wait to see what the development community can do with this.

Garfunkel
11-19-2006, 06:30 AM
if your worried about ram usage i think you will find multitasking quite the walk in the park with Damn Small Linux. the whole os is under 50 MB! runs astoundingly fast and surprisingly featured.

Still, for n00bs, i'd heavily recommend Ubuntu. It has the best community out of any distro so it makes it real easy to get help for. also is very nicely put together and has a great packaging system. The community is the thing that separates it from the rest though.

(its also run by the a millionaire space cosmonaut, first south African into outer space!)

MegaGrid
11-19-2006, 12:26 PM
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2006/2006-10-17.shtml

Looking at this I think that PS3 is an excellent value for money purchase. I would dare to say that it is cheap if someone regards the amount of freedom it can offer.
This mean that Kutaragi was right about the price of PS3.

Luis
11-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi there MegaGrid!

I remember reading your posts about two years ago, when I hadn't joined yet.

That's it, just wanted to say hello. I just felt nostalgic somehow :-p

[/offtopic]

MegaGrid
11-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Hello there. I decided to post after a lot of time when i saw terrasoft's statement. This makes me already prepare a space to accomodate a PS3 unit when it comes on March in Europe.

OmniStalgic
11-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Don't forget guys...AS soon as any1 Get's YDL up and running POST PICS!

xbdestroya
11-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Well, YDL will take a week or two for anyone to post pics of, because it's not out yet (and people may not be willing to pay at first).

But I got Fedora Core 5 running on my PS3 last night... not as straightforward as one may have hoped (and at one point I thought I wrecked my PS3!), but when it's all said and done - awesome.

I'm going to mess with getting some emulators on there later, but it comes with Firefox, OpenOffice... any standard app you would need.

I think YDL will be a much better performing Linux distro for PS3 (despite Cell's power, you have to know that Linux runs fairly slowly on PS3 since it's not compiled with the in-order PPE in mind, and the SPEs are simply not used at all at the moment).

Domination
11-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Well, YDL will take a week or two for anyone to post pics of, because it's not out yet (and people may not be willing to pay at first).

But I got Fedora Core 5 running on my PS3 last night... not as straightforward as one may have hoped (and at one point I thought I wrecked my PS3!), but when it's all said and done - awesome.

I'm going to mess with getting some emulators on there later, but it comes with Firefox, OpenOffice... any standard app you would need.

I think YDL will be a much better performing Linux distro for PS3 (despite Cell's power, you have to know that Linux runs fairly slowly on PS3 since it's not compiled with the in-order PPE in mind, and the SPEs are simply not used at all at the moment).

Did you PS3 lock up or somethin'?

Also, do you think the Linux OS you're running have a lot to do with it being a dated version to the Cell or no?

F089/H
11-19-2006, 06:34 PM
ohhb I 'll just wait for somebody else to do this..I've been doing VB.net all week and don't want to see all those small letters and numbers and following shit Step by Step.I'll just keep playing Resistance.....I might try it.. that looks pretty awesome.....I don't know,I'll let you know When I do.

OmniStalgic
11-19-2006, 08:01 PM

I think YDL will be a much better performing Linux distro for PS3 (despite Cell's power, you have to know that Linux runs fairly slowly on PS3 since it's not compiled with the in-order PPE in mind, and the SPEs are simply not used at all at the moment).YDL should run fine though right? It's optimized for Cell and PS3...

xbdestroya
11-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Did you PS3 lock up or somethin'?

Also, do you think the Linux OS you're running have a lot to do with it being a dated version to the Cell or no?

No, it didn't lock up... it's just I thought that it had due to my not knowing the contingency method for booting into the XMB OS.

The entire problem started when my DVD burner burned a bad Fedora disc, and after I had begun the install process I found out the drive was dead entirely. So, I had to procure a different drive (which took awhile) to burn a good disc, and like I said had to figure out how to get back into the game OS in the meantime.

The problem with the PS3 isn't stability at all really at the core of it... it's just that how things are done is more or less completely unknown until you find yourself in a situation where you need to research it.

Once you figure out where you're at though and what to do, you appreciate the power and flexibilitty of the system.

@Omni: Yeah I would imagine YDL run much better/faster. And of course as time goes on and the open source movement grabs ahold of the SPEs, it'll only get better and better.

Newboi
11-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Once a Cell native linux distro appears, ala Yellow Dog, will programs such as wine, wineX, or Cedega work well?

Will Nvidia ever need to release any drivers or updates for the RSX in the linux environment?

It would be cool if users could write their own custom drivers for the PS3 in linux. This could possibly lead to certain PC games being able to be played on the PS3.

Red_Eyes
11-20-2006, 03:41 AM
i wouldnt call that HEAVY multi tasking, even my old Pentium 1 ran just fine, just opening one browser and some windows. like on that picture

i would like to see some heavy multitasking.. like using web browser, running limewire, Firefox, IM, running virus scan etc etc.

with less then 197mb left.. you just have to say good bye.

Why would ram be a problem. I have only 256 megs of ram and I ran all those problems fine, with the help with virtual ram on the harddrive. It's not like the PS3 suddenly locks up because of not enough memory. It'll just swap those memory pages onto the harddrive.

frosty
11-20-2006, 04:32 AM
My question is, with RSX locked away from the OS, can you still use it's RAM?

xbdestroya
11-20-2006, 04:51 AM
My question is, with RSX locked away from the OS, can you still use it's RAM?

Nope.

frosty
11-20-2006, 05:39 AM
:(... oh well. Maybe one day... (dreams) 256 won't cut it for video editing. However the software I edit with is made by Sony... so maybe they could allow apps released from them or other authorized vendors to access RSX, just not for anything like games, etc.

-gin-
11-20-2006, 07:03 AM
would it be possible to download a program like mame and play it over kailara with somebody using windows xp?

warmachine
11-20-2006, 12:34 PM
http://xs209.xs.to/xs209/06471/xp_ps3.png

Windows XP Emulator running on PS3! Wohoo! ^^

Leedogg
11-20-2006, 01:17 PM
WOW :buldge:

Luis
11-20-2006, 03:42 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

version
11-20-2006, 03:49 PM
xp emulator with 1300 dhrystone???? real x86 dhrystone 100 :LOL
intel core duo 18000 dhrystone

forget x86 stuff on ps3

cell ppe similar than x360 core-> x360 speed 4000 dhrystone
this is a general code monster lollllllllllllllllllllllll
4000 vs 18000(coreduo)

CrumCon
11-20-2006, 04:14 PM
I would like to see PS3 running Linux loaded with KDE and then heavy multitasking..

dude with less then 192MB of RAM... you will never see ps3 running linux+KDE+heavymultitasking smoothly.

Luis
11-20-2006, 04:20 PM
I would like to see PS3 running Linux loaded with KDE and then heavy multitasking..

dude with less then 192MB of RAM... you will never see ps3 running linux+KDE+heavymultitasking smoothly.Yeah, I think we should trust your totally groundless and inexperienced opinion without even wondering if the contrary could happen to a decent extent :tardbang:

Fats
11-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Crumcon, curb your comments please. You quite frankly have no idea what you're talking about. Dammit, it's annoying that I can see some peoples comments due to quoting even though I've ignored them.

:(

Luis
11-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Dammit, it's annoying that I can see some peoples comments due to quoting even though I've ignored them.

:(Yeah, I feel you. That's why I believe the ignore list is not effective.

Sorry for causing you trouble indirectly BTW.

Fats
11-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Lmao, it's not your fault at all VG. ;)

Nice to see Windows running anyway, should be very interesting indeed.

*can't wait until March*

Domination
11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
So much for Windows not running on the PS3. *cough* Media Extender :heybaby:

Rubbernek
11-21-2006, 09:56 AM

dude with less then 192MB of RAM... you will never see ps3 running linux+KDE+heavymultitasking smoothly.

Seriously man just shut up. You're embarassing yourself with your ignorance.
Go to TeamXbox. They will gladly welcome your trolling there.

Garfunkel
11-21-2006, 11:24 AM

err...KDE is actually lighter and faster than gnome, i know it sounds funny but it has lower requirements, especially memory.

then there is also linux swap which is far far more effective the windows page.

either use linux for a while and gain experience or don't post.