PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 & PS3 : 11 page analysis

ZipIt
11-14-2006, 04:03 PM
LINKY (http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=1)

Good read, though i have to disagree on some parts of the article. ( some numbers are based from some old info/ speculated info)

CrumCon
11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
now that ps3 have launched, all what i care are the games

Luis
11-14-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm no expert, but it looks like there's a number of wrong assumptions throughout the whole article. I don't think it's a good read.

now that ps3 have launched, all what i care are the gamesQFT

LaLiLuLeLo
11-14-2006, 04:30 PM
shit the graphic still has the ps3 concept controller in it. for the love of god why? I was interested in that controller before it got canned, but...it got canned. Sheesh.

ZipIt
11-14-2006, 04:57 PM
That's what i got from my local forums. Outdated i guess?

@CrumCon: True indeed.

Hrama
11-14-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm no expert, but it looks like there's a number of wrong assumptions throughout the whole article. I don't think it's a good read.

QFT

Yeah, seriously VG. This guy really uses some outdated information and rumors to supplement his technical knowledge of the consoles. I just gave it a mere perfunctory read, but it was not something I would read again. Still, an interesting read nontheless and a lot of it was well written.

Red_Eyes
11-14-2006, 09:38 PM
11 pages? Geeze. Too long to read.

cpiasminc
11-14-2006, 11:05 PM
It basically took forever for the site to even be accessible when I tried, so I was only able to read over it now... It's basically trying to take the info from the old Major Nelson article and neutralize it by inserting the obvious.

Some of the calculations he gives are flat out wrong or are valid computations but are measuring something completely different than he seems to think... He doesn't seem to understand the distinction between a shader op and a floating point op or a float ALU and a shader ALU. Seems to disregard that RSX has vertex shader units as well...

And yeah, all the information is out of date.

On the CPU side... well, it's rather interesting that he had nothing good to say about either machine. Basically spent pages on how it does NOT work out so nicely, plus he doesn't seem to get into the driving forces behind multicore architectures.

Hrama
11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks for that more insightful analysis CP, though I found myself coming to same... though less acute conclusion on those things you listed. Glad to see I have a bit of sense understanding this technical stuff...

Domination
11-15-2006, 01:33 AM
LINKY (http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=1)

Good read, though i have to disagree on some parts of the article. ( some numbers are based from some old info/ speculated info)

I read up to page eight and couldn't bare to read anymore beyond of his nonsense. I think what really threw me off was the CPU in these consoles being no more than a processor one would use in a normal PC. It just got worst after that.