PDA

View Full Version : Denis Dyack Talks Console Wars

Pumpkin Head
10-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Silicon Knights president Denis Dyack said in an interview that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are "equal in power" and added that he won't be missing the glitzy version of E3.
Speaking to San Jose Mercury News journalist Dean Takahashi, Dyack said that next generation console technology is now on a level playing field. "The 360 and the PS3 are equal in power in my eyes," he said. "Maybe the PS3 has more processing power. The 360 has more available memory. It's pretty much a net, net. The public perception of the PS3 was that it was much more powerful. To developers, they look even."

Silicon Knights, the Canadian developer behind Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (both for GameCube), is currently working on Too Human for the Xbox 360--a game that was first unveiled as an original PlayStation game in the late 90s.

On the topic of 1080p resolutions vs. 720p, Dyack said that 1080p and HDMI (which is standard on the PS3) cable interfaces have the edge, but both look quite good. "It is questionable if there is a difference between 1080p and 720p. All of our games are likely to be 720p because of the faster refresh rates. There are all kinds of trade-offs. It takes a lot more RAM to do 1080p. You'll reserve RAM for the textures. 720p is just less pixels. There is definitely a huge difference from 720p and analog."

Regarding E3, Dyack said that he welcomed the demise of the show, calling it an expensive and time-consuming distraction. "Over the history of our company, E3 was the toughest crunch time. The problem was the more you spent on it, the less you spent on the game. People spent a crazy amount of money on E3."

Dyack also put in his two cents about who will "win" the console war. "It's a tough one," he admitted. "Microsoft is looking really good. Everyone is looking pretty good. At the beginning, everyone thought Sony would walk away with it. We won't know for sure for two years."

He added that Nintendo's success with the Wii depends on if the unique "controller stands the tests of time."

to me he sounds like he don't know what the hell he's talking about.

masteratt
10-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Urgh...Another developer working on X360 on the X360 side!!

WOOPDY DOO!! Throw me a freaking bone here! Advertise your f'ing game instead of the console you are working on.

I don't even know what 'Too Human' is >_< I heard about it but only through various bullshit comments such as above. "oh 360 is better! it can do too human!!"

Old_Timer!
10-31-2006, 08:30 PM
He has some valid points with memory, but seeing as he's doing Too Human for the X360. He comes across to me as sucking on MS tits.

Pumpkin Head
10-31-2006, 08:31 PM
He has some valid points with memory, but seeing as he's doing Too Human for the X360. He comes across to me as sucking on MS tits. LOL that's how I see it..

chrismt
10-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Needs source.

Why are developers saying there is more memory in the 360? I just don't understand.

Old_Timer!
10-31-2006, 08:37 PM
360 unified memory, PS3 256+256 partitioned.... yet it's been said that the RSX can access the additional 256 when necessary. So it seem like Dennis is blowing steam here.

masteratt
10-31-2006, 08:38 PM
So it seem like Dennis is blowing steam here.
Among other things :angel:

Pumpkin Head
10-31-2006, 08:42 PM
the PS3 and 360 are equal in power, then why does the PS3's launch titles look as good, if not better, than the 360's second generation of titles? This guy is incorrect in saying that the 360 has an advantage in terms of memory. The PS3's RSX can access the 256 MB of XDR RAM if it needs it. Moreover, the XDR System RAM runs at 3.2 Ghz, along with 256 MB GDR RAM @ 800 Mhz (I think), whereas the 360 has a uniform 512 MB GDR RAM @ 800 Mhz (I think). In both cases, memory has to be used for graphics, AI, physics, the level map etc. Its just that the PS3 splits the memory between graphics and system memory, but the graphics can nevertheless access the system memory. Having the greater processsing power also gives the PS3 a huge advantage for graphics because in game assets such as clouds can be procedurally generated ie. created on the fly, rather than pre-drawn and pre-animated, which requires lots of memory for storage. This guy sounds like he's been paid by MS to say both systems are equal in power, when the truth is the PS3 is a much more advanced machine

CrumCon
10-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Is it me or many of dev that are developing Xbox360 games right now praises Xbox360 memory??

It's strange cause they didnt even talk about the fukin memeory since the E3.. and its strange that they talk it when the PS3 is about to hit the shelves ????!!!

PUNK em 733
10-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Nothing new here. Just another MS nutswinger, this guy should concentrate on getting his game out...looks like another Duke Nukem 3d here.

Chris
10-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Not Duke Nukem 3D, it's Duke Nukem Forever that's vaporware, and Too Human is in the same boat, the game was supposed to come out at least 8 years ago on PlayStation. Then they went with Nintendo and it was supposed to come out on 64, then Gamecube, now 360. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced tomorrow that it will be developed with the next systems in mind in order to take full advantage of future capabilities.

PUNK em 733
10-31-2006, 09:01 PM
Not Duke Nukem 3D, it's Duke Nukem Forever that's vaporware, and Too Human is in the same boat, the game was supposed to come out at least 8 years ago on PlayStation. Then they went with Nintendo and it was supposed to come out on 64, then Gamecube, now 360. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced tomorrow that it will be developed with the next systems in mind in order to take full advantage of future capabilities.

Ahh yes Forever.

Old_Timer!
10-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Nothing new here. Just another MS nutswinger, this guy should concentrate on getting his game out...looks like another Duke Nukem 3d here.
How true indeed.
So far the games have done the talking for Sony, Volumetric Clouds, HDR, Advanced A.I., 1080p, Sixaxis Input, etc. MS might talk about all these things coming in the future but PS3 has them all at launch. Now is it that PS3 is just more powerful off the bat and the devs were able to push the system so quickly. Or is it that the devs weren't thinking when making the MS games?

Crossbar
10-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Maybe the PS3 has more processing power

Sorry Denis, you lost all credibility by adding that "maybe" in the beginning. Every bloody developer knows PS3 has significantly more processing power over the 360. Another Microsoft lapdog brown-nosing Bill Gates, just to get some more funding for his game.

Denis you should not bite the hand that feeds you, but this was just ridicilous!!!

Mach
10-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Maybe I didnt read the same article, but the guy seemed rather fair and balanced when assessing all 3 consoles. He didn't praise one console over another. So why attack him?

Crossbar
10-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Maybe I didnt read the same article, but the guy seemed rather fair and balanced when assessing all 3 consoles. He didn't praise one console over another. So why attack him?

Perhaps, because he is almost using the same wording as Bill Gates, when he was describing the PS3 - 360 difference back in 2005. Do you think Bill Gates is fair and balanced on this topic?

Old_Timer!
10-31-2006, 09:58 PM

Sure one white lie here, one white lie there.... you gotta remember these quotes aren't geared towards other devs, it's to us the end users/gamers.

8_Bit
10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
360 unified memory, PS3 256+256 partitioned.... yet it's been said that the RSX can access the additional 256 when necessary. So it seem like Dennis is blowing steam here.

"That's not all he's blowing!"
http://www.reveries.com/reverb/entertainment_marketing/moore/images/moore_tattoo.jpg

...sorry. Joke was way too easy.

Among other things :angel:

...and masterratt beat me to it anyway. I suck almost as much as Too Human at E3...

masteratt
10-31-2006, 10:24 PM
I already made that joke :mad:

Read other posts people! This is like the 10th time I had to say that in a week.
If this community has one problem, it seems to be that people don't read other posts >_<

8_Bit
10-31-2006, 10:26 PM

Read other posts people! This is like the 10th time I had to say that in a week.
If this community has one problem, it seems to be that people don't read other posts >_<

Follow your own advice. I edited my post before you corrected me.

...and lighten up, Francis.

sceptic
10-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Isnt it a little late for last minute propaganda, its almost launch time for ps3 and the whole world can see for themselves and judge which machine looks more powerful. And as has said already it fairly obvious 1st gen ps3 titles are overall better than 2nd gen xbox titles, yes gears looks good but looking at announced ps3 games they do look better and a surprising amount in 1080p at launch.

Its quite obviously an attempt to swing public opinion back to thinking both consoles are on equal footing, bit late now that many people/journalists have had hands on with the games to suggest otherwise.

masteratt
10-31-2006, 10:32 PM
I wan't too serious about you "stealing" my joke but reading the same points over and over again in one thread does get very tedious.

8_Bit
10-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Isnt it a little late for last minute propaganda, its almost launch time for ps3 and the whole world can see for themselves and judge which machine looks more powerful. And as has said already it fairly obvious 1st gen ps3 titles are overall better than 2nd gen xbox titles, yes gears looks good but looking at announced ps3 games they do look better and a surprising amount in 1080p at launch.

Its quite obviously an attempt to swing public opinion back to thinking both consoles are on equal footing, bit late now that many people/journalists have had hands on with the games to suggest otherwise.

You're totally right, of course.

I suspect that by now, these things are done not so much for the consumers, but for the people in the boardrooms. Plus, these guys know that when news is a bit slow, like now, (the calm before the storm on Nov 17th) the rags will print just about anything...

IEatFriedPikmin
10-31-2006, 10:36 PM
gears of war cant run on ps3. same goes for lost planet.

masteratt
10-31-2006, 10:38 PM
^Obviously, they are 360 games :duh:

did you guys know DMC3 can't run on X360? =-o

yoshaw
10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
So should this become a habit on PS3 forums now?

You know posting developer quotes and then ridiculing them to oblivion just because they are not favoring PS3. Why the heck even post these kinds of quotes and articles only to make oneself feel better. This is not like the forum it used to be. First Epic dissing and now Dennis Dyak. Both threads were nothing but 360 related. Just because each had a mention of PS3 shouldn't mean we post a thread for it.

I hope some would agree, We should close this thread. It serves no purpose in the PS3 section, please understand the bait material and hatred such threads could generate will only dilute the best forum there is.

Peace.

Luis
10-31-2006, 10:45 PM
gears of war cant run on ps3. same goes for lost planet.Unreal Tournament 2007 looks as good or better than GeOW, and I don't see anything in it that can't be done on PS3. DMC4 looks as good or better than Lost Planet while both seem to be using the same engine too.

However, Lair can't be run on 360 (http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php?p=1267996&postcount=22) ;) Same goes to any PS3 game that runs at 1080p60 native.

Ocelot9
10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Unreal Tournament 2007 looks as good or better than GeOW, and I don't see anything in it that can't be done on PS3. DMC4 looks as good or better than Lost Planet while both seem to be using the same engine too.

However, Lair can't be run on 360 (http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php?p=1267996&postcount=22) ;) Same goes to any PS3 game that runs at 1080p60 native.

Well Put

woundingchaney
10-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Unreal Tournament 2007 looks as good or better than GeOW, and I don't see anything in it that can't be done on PS3. DMC4 looks as good or better than Lost Planet while both seem to be using the same engine too.

Unreal Tournament doesnt look better than Gears of War. Lost Planet looks better than what has been shown for DMC4, and DMC4 released nearly a year later (suggested anyways).

And the PS3 cant do Gears of War.

And we go around and around.

chrismt
10-31-2006, 11:12 PM
And how is it you know Gears can't run on PS3? Not that it matters anyway, since it probably won't be ported to it.

woundingchaney
10-31-2006, 11:14 PM
And how is it you know Gears can't run on PS3? Not that it matters anyway, since it probably won't be ported to it.

Developers said so.

chrismt
10-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Are you speaking of the developers who said the PS3 only has 256MB of memory?

I think it's been established that they were spreading FUD to hype up the 360 game launch.

FantasyGhost
10-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Let's just leave it at:

There will always be games that are exclusive to one over the other. Otherwise what's the point of offering those different consoles anyway. We could put a Warner brothers disc drive, with the XBOX 360's GPU, PS3's CPU, Wiimote & nunchuk... and build an ultimat system that plays it all.

EvilTaru
10-31-2006, 11:31 PM

I feel your anger, gah!!!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/EvilTaru/angry.gif

Seriously, Dyack needs to shoteh fok up and concentrate on his broken-ass piece of crap demo that is Too Human.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/EvilTaru/gladtomeetya.gif

LaLiLuLeLo
10-31-2006, 11:32 PM
oh god, close this thread.
and too human looked like shit at E3 anyway.

masonite
10-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Unreal Tournament doesnt look better than Gears of War. Lost Planet looks better than what has been shown for DMC4, and DMC4 released nearly a year later (suggested anyways).

And the PS3 cant do Gears of War.

And we go around and around.

yeah well xbox 360 cant do fantavision. :buldge:

...:splitspin

its idiotic to say"this game cant run on that system", with modifications you can make any game run on two similar systems - but then that raises the question "is it the same game?" where do you draw the line between making absolutely no midifications to the game, just porting it straight over, and changing the game completely but keeping the title?

also, DMC4 obviously isnt going to look as good, because, as you said, its being launched a year later. its much earlier in the development process.

and besides, considering its an exclusive, its perfectly valid to say they cant do GOW on ps3 - because they cant. its a breach of contract. and im perfectly within my right to say they cant do fantavision on 360 ;)

msantti
10-31-2006, 11:59 PM
I wonder if Dyack was wearing his money hat when he said that?

Kabbage
11-01-2006, 12:05 AM
oh god, close this thread.
and too human looked like shit at E3 anyway.
Im with this guy... both on the close part, and the shit part.

Kabbage
11-01-2006, 12:07 AM
I wonder if Dyack was wearing his money hat when he said that?Money hat, that has always made me smile... lol money hat :pleased:

BahnNZ
11-01-2006, 01:24 AM
LaLiLuLeLo2003 has the important point here... Too Human is.... awful. They spent the last 5 years remaking Contra, it's... diabolical.

Too Human can't run on my 360, because I just buy the good ones.

Smokey
11-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Too Human can't run on my 360, because I just buy the good ones
lol good point :)

OmniStalgic
11-01-2006, 03:03 AM
LOL...funny thread...

lips
11-01-2006, 03:09 AM
to me he sounds like he don't know what the hell he's talking about.

AGREED! :honor: to me, if this, or any x360 quote were to say, 'i'd just rather program exclusively for wii because of no multithreading' i would totally respect that. But instead, we get a loftly, maybe 3x floats and 256+256 is actually less than 512 volitile memory, I could totally barf. If it was up to me, I would make a console with 1.44 floppy drives and tell devs, no ram, just use cpu cache, show me what you can produce. End, no arguement. I doubt anyone would cry, the obvious nature for the problem is hiring more engineers, and any telemarketer could tell you the resistance to such a situation. End game, othello, I would argue microsoft is a major telemarketing corporation and sony is freedom of future!

Pumpkin Head
11-01-2006, 03:15 AM
:lol: I made this thread just to laugh at Denis Dyack,He's a clown..

OmniStalgic
11-01-2006, 03:19 AM
No need to get bent outta shape fellas. We have already seen the graphcial capabilites of PS3. There's no way PS3 is gonna blow 360 out of the water graphically in the first year. Patience...Patience....The most technical console will be revealed through time-this is just another opinion from another dev. Just as valid as any other dev who praised PS3 and said it has more potential. Just look at the reason Pumpkin started the thread...hahahhaha I know what system I'm getting-no need to get bent outta shape about someone's opinion. He didn't even say anything bad really...

lips
11-01-2006, 03:26 AM
not bent out of shape. just wanted to make a point, now that it is just among friends, no xbots. anyone can understand. just about to have some pumpkin soup, maybe that's it, or otherwise, ps3, here we are!!

liver_kick
11-01-2006, 03:31 AM
Eh, this is no big deal. Dyack is just being diplomatic for the company he's developing for (albiet in a rather half handed, 2nd party kind of way). He did acknowledge PS3 "maybe has more processing power", and that it would take some time and skill to leverage. *shrug* Nothing that hasn't been alluded to before. His memory vs. processing as a push remark is pretty silly though. 360 having a smaller footprint for the OS isn't remotely any comparison to the respective CPUs. Whatever, moving along.

BahnNZ
11-01-2006, 03:56 AM
And indeed since PS3 has an upgrabable OS who's to say it's footprint won't be reduced by an upgrade.

TheGreenElf
11-01-2006, 07:20 AM
I thought so too...Dyack is a great developer imo.

frosty
11-01-2006, 08:56 AM
I'd like to take a moment to say, to an extent he is right about some points, however I'm going to tear this one apart.

On the topic of 1080p resolutions vs. 720p, Dyack said that 1080p and HDMI (which is standard on the PS3) cable interfaces have the edge, but both look quite good. "It is questionable if there is a difference between 1080p and 720p. All of our games are likely to be 720p because of the faster refresh rates. There are all kinds of trade-offs. It takes a lot more RAM to do 1080p. You'll reserve RAM for the textures. 720p is just less pixels. There is definitely a huge difference from 720p and analog."

"It is questionable if there is a difference between 1080p and 720p.

Ok. So, you're telling me that If I take a piece of paper and draw a picture with 50 dots, and then another with 100 dots, the 50 dot picture will be comparable in resolution? 1080p is more than twice the resolution of 720p. To say the difference is hard to see is utter crap. I can clearly make out the difference even on my 21' PC monitor.

All of our games are likely to be 720p because of the faster refresh rates.

So how are games like Ridge Racer 7 achieving 1080p at 60fps? I can understand a technically demanding title to opt for 720p in order to maintain 60fps, but EVERY title? C'mon.

There are all kinds of trade-offs. It takes a lot more RAM to do 1080p. You'll reserve RAM for the textures. 720p is just less pixels.

Here, he actually starts to make a little bit of sense... until...

There is definitely a huge difference from 720p and analog

720p is, in most cases, an analog signal being sent over analog component cable. Only a few people out there actually use DVI or HDMI for a 720p signal.

Bliss
11-01-2006, 09:05 AM
:lol: I made this thread just to laugh at Denis Dyack,He's a clown..

...but I think he meant that even inferior systems sometime can do something better...and if you wanna cook and eat eggs, the X360 is better ! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLabckoPC0g&eurl=

Luis
11-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Ok. So, you're telling me that If I take a piece of paper and draw a picture with 50 dots, and then another with 100 dots, the 50 dot picture will be comparable in resolution? 1080p is more than twice the resolution of 720p. To say the difference is hard to see is utter crap. I can clearly make out the difference even on my 21' PC monitor.I guess all the people who claim there's hardly any difference are people who don't want to accept that 720p is inferior indeed or that they've never had the opportunity to compare two sources at 720p and 1080p. I'm very sensitive to resolution and framerates, so it always puzzles me whenever someone says that they can't tell the difference between 24fps and 60fps because "the human eye can't see a difference" :tardbang:

stanDarsh
11-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Okay guys seriously, why does this need to be here? We know what's gonna happen when stuff like that is posted here, so I don't get it. Xbox360 developer praising Xbox360, who'd have thought?

Enough.