PDA

View Full Version : The "Back From Pre-Ordering Wii" Thread

Hylian-Advocate
10-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I got my Wii... did you?

I was 6th in line...

I was hoping to be first but I got to the mall at 6:00am and they opened it at 5:30am... So I only had to sit around in front of the store until 10:00am, which wasn't all that long really.

In total, my GameStop took 32 pre-orders (I dont know if any of the employees took any of them though)... and all were taken instantly.... They had to turn away more than ....say 30 people already by the time I left.

Funny story though... ...You know how there are "Mall Walkers" (that usually are really old people) that go in to get their excerscise in a warm dry place... ...one that is convieniently close to coffee... Well, this one mall walker lady, that was around 65 or so, yelled at us because we took "her" chair. Normally I am the nicest person (especially to old people), but this one was a bitch... She was calling us rude for taking chairs to sit on and that we were being disrespectful and then she started shouting "RUDE, RUDE, RUDE." What was totally stupid is that there were hundreds of empty tables and chairs that she could have sat on.... ....but what does she do... ...she has security come and tell us to move everything back. Needless to say, she didn't even come to sit back in "her spot" but it really pissed us all off.

But... There was this really cool Grandma waiting in line with us... ...She was getting one for her grandson.

Mr. Coww
10-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Mine was taking 14 preorders and we had a ordeal of our own. Our mall opened at 9 am for mall walkers but my freinds wouldnt listen to me about it being ONLY open at 10 and i freaking couldnt rember i havent been awake at this hour willingly in months. So when we noticed the line was gone we bolted for the door and make it 11th 12th and 13th in line.
I didnt think i could run like that.

Crosman
10-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Just pre ordered 2 Wii's.

I was third in line this mourning.

Hylian-Advocate
10-13-2006, 06:33 PM
2....how did you get two...?

Viper
10-13-2006, 06:50 PM
I won't be pre-ordering.

Say what any of you will about the military, but getting electronics at the commissary makes life easier.....for me.

Derrick Barra
10-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Me and Sovereign had F*ing school, so we couldn't possibly make it there and back. God dammit, we went to EB at 12:00PM, hoping that by some miracle of God there were still pre-orders left, but of course there weren't.

I think I'm going to cry myself to bed tonight. /jk

gljvd
10-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Just pre ordered 2 Wii's.

I was third in line this mourning.

sadly you preordered one. They will cancel the redundent reserve.

Hylian-Advocate
10-13-2006, 08:06 PM
^ohhhhh...burn

(wait...even if you did it from two different stores?)

IEatFriedPikmin
10-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I won't be pre-ordering.

Say what any of you will about the military, but getting electronics at the commissary makes life easier.....for me.

what time do they usually open? I just remembered thats how my friend got his GC at launch without any hassle. I have an ID and everything, and that might be my best bet.

I was brilliant and went to my 10am class thinking there would still be preorder slots after an hour or so. Nope... the guy there said they sold out of pre-orders within minutes. I dont know if they had a line though.

I think I might just go to Walmart or some store with a midnight release and wait forever. I didnt think this could be much of a hassle with the amount of wiis being shipped.

video elephant
10-13-2006, 08:25 PM
I got my Wii pre-ordered! God, it feels good! Today, "being the start of pre-orders," I knew I had to go as soon as possible. I was a little nervous at first, because I had to work and I wouldn't be able to make a run to the store until around 2:00P.M. But just in time; my boss called and told me we weren't going to be working today, because of weather conditions. Man I almost jumped and hit my head on the ceiling I was so siked!

I called Gamestop four times, at 4:30a.m, 5:30a.m., 8:30a.m., and finally some one answered around 10:14a.m.. I was so determined to find out about the Wii's. I asked the guy what time they opened. He said, "10." Then I asked if they were taking pre-orders for the Wii? He answered, "Yes, but you must be in the store to purchase and we have a limited supply." I then got dressed as fast as I could and my sister and I were off to the mall so that I could get my pre-order before they ran out.

When I got to the store it was around 11:30a.m. That's one hour and 30min after they opened. There was no line and the store was empty. The only people I saw were two guys in black uniform shirts with a white lettered Wii printed on the right chest. I think they were workers, but I over heard them talking about the Wii and they were questioning about the vertual console controller and how it would work with the classic games. They were also drooling over the Gamecube library, because they obviously never played any of the Gamecube games, but now they can with the Wii.

So I was at the counter where a guy stood in front of a computer. I told him I would like to make a pre-order for the Wii and he said, "Ok, how much do you want to put down?" I told him $50, although it would've been nice to pay it off right then and there. Then I asked if he could change my Gamecube Twilight Princess order to the Wii version. For some reason he had trouble with this as he was searching the computer and tring to make the changes. How difficult can it be> Dang it! He, then said, "Ok, your going to have to put at least $5 down for the Wii Zelda. I told him I already put down $10 for the Gamecube version, but I had to give him $5. I don't know, the whole ideal was a bit confusing. Then he asked if I would like to pre-order the stores 1 year warranty for the Wii system for $36? It's amazing, how much stuff they try to throw on you, but I bought it, because I had a bad experience with a digital camera once when I should of had a warranty, but didn't.

Over all I'm very excited and happy about my pre-order.

I have the Nintendo Wii, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Prince Official Strategy Guide, with a 1 year store warranty in the bag. All I need to do now is go back launch day and pick it up!

Woot!

Oh, and by the way... I think I was the 13th pre-order, because the guy told me to sign by #13 and the numbers above were filled out. So that's my guess. In an hour there were already 13 pre-orders. That's pretty impressive, but I don't think Nintendo is that popular where I live. Everybody's a Sony or Microsoft whore. I feel sorry for you guys who missed the pre-order. I know I would have been devastated. Man, it hurts thinking about it! I probably would've cried.

Ha I just thought; I was the 13th pre-order on Fri. the 13th! Isnít that ironic? Oh my God, I just got the chills... I'm scared. :(

IEatFriedPikmin
10-13-2006, 08:44 PM
^not fair. lucky! thats around the same time i got to mine.

homelesscarl
10-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I was 3rd in line. I got back there at 5 am after we left at 10pm the night before. It snowed so bad here that people waited a long time to show up.

Hylian-Advocate
10-13-2006, 10:30 PM
crazy.... luckily I didn't have to camp... just wake up early.... aka 5:30

oh... and they were also taking pre-orders on controllers...

so I got a wiimote, nunchuck and classic!

Vishus
10-13-2006, 10:56 PM
I'll retell my post anyways.

I pre-ordered my Wii at GCrazy back in June. I've had pre-ordered for four and half months. Then I pre-ordered my Zelda Wii game about a month ago.

D3adcell
10-13-2006, 11:00 PM
I was 4th in line. Got there about 8:30. I would have been 2nd in line but I sat in my car instead of getting line because only one person was in line. Then when 2 other people got in line I decided to go. But I got mine pre-ordered. My ebgames only got 9. I got one so launch day, here I come.

Generosity of God
10-14-2006, 12:48 AM
i've had mine pre-ordered since the start of August. good ol Aussie EBs

Console - 300/400 paid off
Wii Play - 10/80
Zelda - 10/100
Red Steel - 10/100
Rayman - 10/100
Nunchuk - 30/30

440/810 Australian Dollars left to pay on my pre-orders.

marioman999
10-14-2006, 02:12 AM
5/8 got there at 7. Wasnt to bad and im just happy im getting one at launch.

Mach
10-14-2006, 02:15 AM
I do what I always do. I go to a rural area Walmart near the city I live in. I get there about 11pm the evening before the system is launched. It's a 24 hour Walmart so I grab some morsels of food, shop for shoes, bask in the Sam's Choice AC, then when it gets about 30 minutes later, I stroll over to the layaway section in the back of the store where about 6-10 other people are waiting around. The guy comes out and hands people consoles from out of the warehouse.

Lynk Former
10-14-2006, 03:14 AM
XD It's kinda funny watching everyone getting excited about Wii preorders... I preordered mine down here AAAAAAAAAAGES ago.

Phoenix
10-14-2006, 04:13 AM
I have been at school and 2 band performances all day today. Now that it's back, GameStop is closed. :(

But tomorrow! Tomorrow I will go and preorder mine. Also I will get a DSlite to replace my DS and its broken top screen. *grumble*

pac4life
10-14-2006, 04:45 AM
Lucky guys...

We dont get to preorder in Canada till Monday

The only reason I'm headin to EB games to do this rather than just walk into a WalMart come Nov 19 is because i have $250 trade in credit on my card.

Im planinng to go with my friend after University on Monday, so hopefully the Wii's arent sold out or anything...

Delirious
10-14-2006, 05:07 AM
I showed up at ebgames today at 4pm hoping to get one. Hell I underestimated the wii following here im my town. As soon as the word wii came outta my mouth this guy in there said theyre all gone, sold out in 5 mins. He said he and a buddy were there at 6 in the morning waiting in line. Well Im gonna have to try for walmart now. Anybody know what walmarts plans are? Are they gonna have a line inside the store? will they be getting more units than the gamestops? How early should I be there?

HolyPaladin
10-14-2006, 08:45 AM
The only retailer within at least an hour's drive from here that might take pre-orders for Wii is Game Crazy. I just swung by there yesterday to again ask (for the fiftyith time) if they are yet taking pre-orders for the Wii and they still aren't. I was told that they didn't want to take them until they knew about how many they were going to get in.

TheGreenElf
10-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I skipping my first class this morning...oh well. At about 8:30 I pulled by Gamestop, to see how it was looking, and decided I better go now. Got in line, I was number 8 of 14 preorders, and by the time it was 10 there were 11 people turned down, most complained and yelled but hey, it's not our fault. $60 down on the system so far, and going in later today to put down more on it...probably another $20 or $30. I didn't feel this necessary at all, but I did it anyway...and around here people were so worried about not being able to get Wii-motes...I doubt that'll be any problem really.

Edit: And why did so many people pay $36 dollars for a one year warranty? It comes with a one-year warranty from Nintendo. Sure you might have to ship it out and wait a week, but Nintendo is amazing when it comes to being honorable about this. I had this problem with my Gamecube (probably from not removing games the right way), and got it back in about 10 days (at the most). Yeah you won't have to wait for it to ship, but it's $36...and probably won't break. Nintendo builds their systems like a brick.

Bsack
10-14-2006, 11:17 AM
I was screwed outta getting one today. I had two college courses, then I had to go pick up a car from the shop, then work, and I had a little time after work to go check to see and it was already 6pm. I asked the guy at the counter and he said they were sold out, so I bought DMC 3 game pack and Xenosaga Episode II. I'll just buy it on launch day. I hope they aren't all sold out on launch day because I can't stand in line either since I have to work the night people will be standing in line. =/

gljvd
10-14-2006, 01:59 PM
^ohhhhh...burn

(wait...even if you did it from two different stores?)

Yes , they have a central pc now that handles that crap. Its no longer like the paper slip days .

Anyway I have 3 preordered . I have one for my little cousin , one for my friend steve and I got one just for me incase I change my mind .

So it sounds like there was either 14 , 36 or 48 per store . Most strip stores got 14 while most mall stores got 36.

Apparently nintendo is going to give them numbers for the second wave of units coming at the end of nov / first week of december which will be half as big as the launch shipment and they will take reserves for it

Gookanheimer
10-14-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm still waiting to make my pre-order. Target down here recently came out with a $600 coupon deal, but I'm waiting for someone to be able to tell me exactly what those coupons are for. Otherwise, I'll most likely be going for the Myer one, since it's pretty much the best deal going round (even if $370 of the coupons are useless to me).

@other Aussies: Is EB still saying they'll match the pre-order deal of any other store? It'd be good if they would match that deal, since I could then go to the midnight release as well as avoid Myer, since they usually have a pretty crap selection.

IEatFriedPikmin
10-14-2006, 06:19 PM
i think its safe to say that we can all blame the 360 for this.

i just found out mine only took 8 preorders. WTF!

HolyPaladin
10-14-2006, 07:01 PM
i think its safe to say that we can all blame the 360 for this.

i just found out mine only took 8 preorders. WTF!

My "nearby" Game Crazy cited the 360 launch as the reason I can't yet pre-order. When the 360 launched, they had more pre-orders than the number of units they actually got in, and they don't want to do that again with the Wii so they're waiting until they know how many orders to take.

Curse you Xbox 360! :swear:

D3adcell
10-14-2006, 07:23 PM
You should be thanking the 360. Imagine what it would be like if you pre-ordered, put your money down and then they didnt get enough systems for you.

IEatFriedPikmin
10-14-2006, 07:37 PM
yes, but chances are that it wont be that bad with the Wii.

Phoenix
10-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Didn't get a preorder, I was about 25 hours too late. They sold out of preorders (they only allowed like 15-20 of them :wtf: ) in the first 45 minutes yesterday. Weak.

homelesscarl
10-14-2006, 10:14 PM
I got to my store at 5am to make sure I was going to get it.

OnBake Platinum
10-14-2006, 10:33 PM
I did not pre order because I don't want white. I also do not have enough money.

SuperLuigiBros
10-15-2006, 01:27 AM
I did not pre order because I don't want white. I also do not have enough money.
hahahahahaha

I preordered mine from Toys R Us yesterday. For the Aussies, they are giving away a free launch game with your pre order.

gljvd
10-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Um excuse me but why is this the 360's fault ? Its hardly the first console to have supply issues . or perhaps we don't remember the ps2 that magicly had its launch unit allocation in NA reduced from 1m to 500k . That was much like the 360 crap fest .

Lets also not forget that up untill about a month ago sony was claming 2m for the world wide launch. It was then reduced to 500k at launch .

Its hardly the 360s fault. Its just these stores wising up and learning that if you tell people preorders mean they get thier item on the day it comes out , they better fucken get it the day it comes out other wise the customer will be pissed .

Gamestop and eb and other stores don't have to worry about games as they can easily make 500k copies in a week or two and there are plants all over the world that handle that . Consoles on the other time take awhile to produce . Gamestop/eb sold out of thier units (well about 99%) in the first 15 minutes , In my district only 2 stores had extra units for presell at 3pm that same day . one was the crappy store in the mall that no one goes to (As there are 2 others there ) the other was in the getto of paterson where they sold out of all but 1 at opening and the last one was sold at 4pm which became the last one sold in our district

Jonny Royal
10-15-2006, 02:47 AM
im such a dumbass, last week i spent my wii reserve money in one night because my friend and i were driving around town, so of course i could pre order, i didnt have any money left

Wolfflight
10-15-2006, 03:35 AM
I'm probally going to camp out at the local target, best buy is too blatent and would be packed. Target might be, but it is also closer to home.

TheGreenElf
10-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Yeah, thank the 360. The guy at my local gamestop was telling a story as we were in line from last year. He said, "We have to go through this because last year our store guarenteed 60 Xbox360 systems for launch day, and we received a total of 8 actual units." You can imagine the hell that was for 52 people at this store alone.

gljvd
10-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Green elf you should ask them when ms guarenteed them 60 xbox 360s .

Gamestops started taking preorders on the 360 last march before ms even started production on the system.

Its gamestop / ebs fault .

I know the story as i worked for the company

HolyPaladin
10-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Um excuse me but why is this the 360's fault ?

It's not really the 360's "fault" since the Xbox 360 just sits there playing games and wasn't responsible for global warming, 9/11, the assassination of JFK, the war in Iraq, or for certain stores not taking Wii pre-orders. It's just that it happens to be the 360's launch that my Game Crazy was learning from. They're just learning from past experience that happened to deal with the 360, so it's of course really the fault of the retailer and not of the 360.

Delirious
10-15-2006, 07:26 AM
I just found out today that a friend who used to work there got a preorder for her, and her boyfriend, and that our ebgames only had 8 preorders total to give out to the public. How gay is that.

TheGreenElf
10-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Green elf you should ask them when ms guarenteed them 60 xbox 360s .

Gamestops started taking preorders on the 360 last march before ms even started production on the system.

Its gamestop / ebs fault .

I know the story as i worked for the company
I didn't say it was anybody's fault...especially not 360's...now did I? I said thank the 360 (not MS or anyone, just thank the whole screw up in general for happening when it did, so nobody gets screwed this time). Please don't put words in my mouth.

Flamin Scotsman
10-15-2006, 09:17 PM
wii
wii play
red steel
zelda
wario ware
and extra numchuka attatchment

around 300£
im happy cant wait for 8th dec

exile
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Canadian Preorders today; I showed up at about 8:30, saw what looked like 30 people in line and took off because they were only 15 available. Trying my luck at Walmart on the 19th I guess.

video elephant
10-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Canadian Preorders today; I showed up at about 8:30, saw what looked like 30 people in line and took off because they were only 15 available. Trying my luck at Walmart on the 19th I guess.

Good luck.

Hylian-Advocate
10-16-2006, 08:23 PM
oh thats right... Canadian pre-orders were today...

good luck all you Canadians!

Shadow Voa
10-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Failed 100%, woke up at 4am and drove to 4 different stores. I got no PS3 or Wii, people camped the preorder from as early as 6pm on Sunday! I'm very sad at the moment... actually I take that back, words can't describe what I'm feeling right now.

IEatFriedPikmin
10-16-2006, 09:54 PM
holy crap.... i really dont want to wait all day at a walmart to get a freakin wii.

pac4life
10-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Me and my friend both got Wii's preodered up here in Canada

We met some guys who drove from a small town near the border and had been waiting all night

We just woke up early in the morning.

Im not that DESPERATE for a Wii ill wait overnight...but these guys were hardcore...I didnt know people actually talked like those cartoon characters in those Counter Strike parody's lol.

Gookanheimer
10-17-2006, 10:46 AM
holy crap.... i really dont want to wait all day at a walmart to get a freakin wii.
Take your DS or something, multiplayer makes the time fly right by :)

video elephant
10-17-2006, 11:26 AM

Then take a ride on the Wii swing... Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiii...

Twilight Prince
10-17-2006, 12:07 PM
... um that's nintendos new console you're talking about right?

i got one already.. my father works there http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/Mangrape/final.jpg

IEatFriedPikmin
10-17-2006, 02:32 PM
^lol, i remember that pic. lucky kid.