PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes Studying History Can be Fun!

Nameless
09-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Considering the horrible UK and shortage announcement, I thought we should take a trip down memory lane... The war has just begun! :salute:
(I know it's not apples to apples comparison, but still food for thought...)

Dreamcast sales climb on eve of troubled PlayStation 2 launch
video Game players and retailers may be frustrated by the expected shortages of Sony's upcoming PlayStation 2 console, but at least one party is benefiting: Sega.

Sega's Dreamcast game console has been trounced in sales by Sony's original PlayStation all year. But Sega is staging a comeback, with sales more than doubling ahead of the launch of the much-anticipated PlayStation 2, according to market research firm PC Data, which tracks retail sales of technology products.

The surge in Dreamcast sales is significant, given that many had written off Sega's long-term prospects in light of the massive hype surrounding the launch of the new Sony console later this month. Sega appears to have capitalized on the chance Sony provided when it warned last month that initial PlayStation 2 availability would be half that of previous forecasts, likely leading to widespread shortages during the holiday shopping season.

Sales of the Dreamcast consoles were up 156.6 percent between July 23 and Sept. 30, according to PC Data, pushing Sega into the No. 2 spot, ahead of Nintendo and behind Sony, based on revenue.

Sega of America president Peter Moore told CNET News.com shortly after Sony's announcement that the company was already hearing from retailers looking for more Dreamcasts.

"It created a mild panic among retailers," he said. "As the brand that takes advantage of this best, it's our job to find the inventory."

To be sure, Sony will still dominate the market when the PlayStation 2 arrives, given that the console is essentially already sold out through preorders and reservations.

But Sega has been preparing itself for the Oct. 26 arrival of PlayStation 2, slashing prices on its Dreamcast by $50, to $150--half the price of the PlayStation 2. Further, Sega has been offering a rebate for the full cost of the Dreamcast to buyers who sign up for the Seganet online gaming network and Internet service.

These moves, coupled with Sony's component-related supply problems, have sent Dreamcast sales surging.

"The PlayStation 2 is pretty much already sold out," said Matt Gravett, of PC Data. "It's like when people go to the movie theater and can't get into their first-choice movie because it's sold out. They go to another movie."

Sony is currently selling a revamped version of its original PlayStation, dubbed "PSone," while Nintendo has been bundling its Nintendo 64 with Pokemon and Donkey Kong games.

"It really looks like Sega reached the part of the market that was looking to buy a new system," Gravett said. "They added to the market."

Since Sega cut prices, its market share has increased to 29.9 percent of unit sales and 39.7 percent by revenues. With the original PlayStation, Sony has 49 percent of the market in unit sales and 42.3 percent by revenue. The Nintendo 64 declined to 20.8 percent by unit sales and 17.9 percent by revenue.

From January through August, Sega captured about 15 percent of the market, according to Gravett. The PlayStation took 45 to 50 percent of the market during that time, and Nintendo had 30 to 35 percent.

The overall market for game consoles is still growing, Gravett said, despite the fact that many people are waiting for the PlayStation 2 and retailers are working to clear stores of original PlayStation inventory. Sega sales, while higher than earlier this year, are still lower than last fall, when the Dreamcast launched, he said.

"The big thing this holiday season is going to be the PlayStation 2," Gravett said. "There could be some backlash against Sony because there are going to be some shortages."

Source:
http://news.com.com/Dreamcast+sales+climb+on+eve+of+troubled+PlayStati on+2+launch/2100-1040_3-246759.html

Luis
09-06-2006, 04:33 PM
LOL, I was expecting someone to post something like this, even without a delay happening. +rep!

PS2's launch was not flawless, at all. Actually, it was struggling even by the time GameCube and Xbox were released. Anyway, things are a bit different now. PS3 is the most expensive one, it's coming in lower numbers and it doesn't have an initial advantage, so I'd understand a lot of people won't consider Sony will sort all the troubles out again to win by a wide margin. The good thing is that it's a PS console and will have its nice share of exclusive games. The launch line-up is much more appealing than PS2's as well... unless you live in Europe.

Nameless
09-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Well this is about the only positive thing I can come up with concerning today's news...

BillCosby
09-06-2006, 04:40 PM
It is fun reading about history sometimes. Yet more proof that the 360 is Dreamcast 2.0 only the dreamcast had good games, and was fun to play. Side note here the Peter Moore they mention is the same Peter Moore that works for MS now with the 360. LOL.

Nameless
09-06-2006, 04:52 PM
It is fun reading about history sometimes. Yet more proof that the 360 is Dreamcast 2.0 only the dreamcast had good games, and was fun to play. Side note here the Peter Moore they mention is the same Peter Moore that works for MS now with the 360. LOL.
The Peter Moore connection is ironic...:devious:

BillCosby
09-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Yes I know. It has to piss him off that he has been on 2 consoles now that have been overshadowed by sony.

yoshaw
09-06-2006, 06:04 PM
ahhh, this article is such a ray a hope +rep Nameless :). Atleast until I venture back to the delayed thread. lol

Much calm now after going out doing groceries n stuff. Just watched VF5, MGS4 and FFXIII trailer. I'm back on saving $5 a month even if means I have to collect PS3 funds till 2010.

backbreaker
09-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Their is nothing positive about this news, I don't care how anyone tries to spin it, its bad news period.

Nameless
09-06-2006, 06:14 PM
ahhh, this article is such a ray a hope +rep Nameless :). Atleast until I venture back to the delayed thread. lol

Much calm now after going out doing groceries n stuff. Just watched VF5, MGS4 and FFXIII trailer. I'm back on saving $5 a month even if means I have to collect PS3 funds till 2010.
Where's my + rep... ;)

Yoshaw, I understand your pain, because since allocations are so low in the US I doubt I will have a console at launch. Since none of the US retailers are accepting preorders, I'm starting to worry, because I'm not camping out for console...

yoshaw
09-06-2006, 06:15 PM
>.< my bad! The tab is still open in the background .. lol

Yoshaw, I understand your pain, because since allocations are so low in the US I doubt I will have a console at launch. Since none of the US retailers are accepting preorders, I'm starting to worry, because I'm not camping out for console..

>.< don't say it pain. I'd rather call it an upsetting domino effect. I was pretty calm until half hour after reading the delay news. It was not until I started going over my real options on the ground here living in Dubai. I've been to the US, I earned $300 a week there. Things get mighty rosy when you're in the United States and want to save some dough.

Here in Dubai, it's a whole another story. What I earned a week in US, I get paid in a month over here. Its not about me being able to see a console on Dubai shelf or not. Its the god awful prices I'd be seeing whenever that things lands on these shores and the time its gonna take to have the prices down to the original Sony tags.

I sound like a broken record but I don't even have the option to go 360 because even that costs 700USD right NOW in Dubai shops! It's a pretty gloomy situation but I'm over it. I have to live with it one way or another so yea, F the gloom. If I'm gonna get one its gonna be a PS3 and nothing else. I don't care if I have to wait 4 years to save enough for it but today I've decided to cut back on other things to save for a PS3 if I have to. But PS3 only man. No Wii, no 360!

Dhoooooooookan!!! lol What a cheesy speech
http://xs106.xs.to/xs106/06363/mybossmyhero.jpg

jaxmkii
09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Their is nothing positive about this news, I don't care how anyone tries to spin it, its bad news period.
lifes tough get a helmut:cheers:

it is funny just how much the 360 and DC are alike right down to the guy running the show

bet hell regret that tatoo

LOL@moore i would love to see him explain that one to the iraq vets at the retirement home in 30 years.

moore: "its master cheif"
vet: "who?"
moore: "you know from halo?!"
vet: "your such a donkey raper... give me your jello bitch"

BillCosby
09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I would lmao if he got a tatoo for the date MS will drop support of the 360.