PDA

View Full Version : Motorstorm Preview

Grovestreet
06-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Here's a Motorstorm Preview, Haven't read it yet though.
http://www.news4gamers.com/ps3/News-2587.aspx

cliffbo
06-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Sony's pre-E3 press conference last year was great...especially compared to this year's snooze-fest. No, we were introduced to a series of potential PS3 videos that showed off the power of the system, and one of the movies that was shown was for the unpredictable racing game Motorstorm, pitting a number of vehicles and racers against each other on a muddy track, watching them flip around maniacally and keep grip of the road while mud kicked up from the Earth relentlessly. I admit it, I was intrigued. There's just something about a competitive racing game with hardly anything to hold it back that just grinds my gears and makes me want to play.

Well, this year, Sony had the game playable on the E3 show floor, and we decided to take Motorstorm for a spin to see if it was going to live up to that promise. Well, while graphically it doesn't seem so detailed as the movie indicated, the game does seem to be coming together in terms of gameplay to represent what next-gen racing should be all about- fast, furious, and completely wild.

In the game, you take part in a series of races that are set in Utah's infamous Monument Valley, complete with mountain tops, crevace-filled surfaces, side roads, off-shoots overlooking the valley, and other natural ingredients that could add up for a unique racing experience. In the demo version, we got a hold of a buggy-style vehicle with very promising physics, feeling just like a real buggy would in terms of weight, speed, and performance. There's other vehicles as well, and each one seems to bring tried-and-true physics, no matter the ride. For instance, the motorcycle may be faster, but it takes a bit more time to master on turns due to the fact you're dealing with two wheels, not four. And then there's also a big rig, which has far more traction but suffers in speed as a result, forcing you to react heavily to the competition in an effort to get first place.

This sort of variety is where Motorstorm will find one of its greatest strengths- real competition. The racers will be different and will also perform differently as a result, meaning that if you think you're in the clear, you can find yourself overlapped rather easily by a dude on a motorcycle while the big rip comes rip-roaring right up your backside. Fortunately, the physics thrown into the game allow you to fight with dirty tactics, possibly trapping riders across an obstacle or knocking them off the course completely, giving you that much more of a chance to scoring first place. They can do the same thing to you, however, so keep a close eye on your back door.

"The vehicles can take pretty good damage, and if there's a wreck, the game actually slows down a bit, Burnout 3-style, and shows you the wreck that your vehicle just went through."

The game has a great "pick-up-and-play" mentality, and you don't necessarily have to be a master of the road in order to get yourself some first place wins. The gameplay feels very natural and surprisingly sharp, allowing you to handle turns and get to terms with your vehicle right away, so you're not slip-sliding all over the road. There's several camera options available for convenience, although the one right behind the car seems to work best, as you're able to see what's going on behind you while still getting an idea of the territory that lies ahead. There's also a sense of realism involved, especially involving damage.

The vehicles can take pretty good damage, and if there's a wreck, the game actually slows down a bit, Burnout 3-style, and shows you the wreck that your vehicle just went through. So it's important that you keep your ride going as stable as possible, while also keeping the competition from trying to overtake you for that crucial win in a series race. A number of races are strewn across Monument Valley, with dozens of events available to you and terrain that looks just like the real thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Evolution just took a few camping trips down there to nail the territory just right. Some companies are just into that.

On top of the great-looking graphics (which look just like the real deal) and the game's impressive physics, Evolution is also hard at work on making sure that online competition is a factor in the game. The developer is hard at work trying to implement 16 players into the mix, so that races can get even crazier as you try to show your friends who's the master of the road. The choices of vehicles should further make this a standout, and hopefully sometime soon we'll have a final count of what you can expect in the finished game, which should arrive later this year in time for the system's launch.

So, things have changed since last year's demo movie of Motorstorm, and the game may not look as blazingly real as that little flick let on. But still, it's all about the feel of the ride, and the game certainly feels like a winner, with accessible controls and a number of options that help you get to the finish line that much faster. We'll have a full review of the game upon its arrival, complete with that fresh mud smell. Well, OK, we can't give you that, you'll just have to stomp around outside and then sniff your shoes while you read on. But it'll seem like the real thing, anyway.

Robert Workman's One-Minute Preview
When early footage was revealed for it last year, Motorstorm looked too good to be true, a down-and-dirty racing game that featured everything from mud-slapping effects to unbelievably wild racing, complete with the kind of crashes that would make any health insurance company cringe. Well, the game is shaping up to be just as unpredictable as expected, complete with lots of racing competitions, blazing graphics that bring Utah's Monument Valley to life, and promised online play that should make good use of Sony's online servers. The PS3 could benefit from having a racing game this messy and wild.

don't be afraid to cut and paste man :)

overclocked
06-21-2006, 04:46 PM

don't be afraid to cut and paste man :)

Ahh Cliff i would just say the game looks damn fun and fine! :beer:

edoshin
06-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Are they going to add some additional tracks? .. or is the Monument Valley course going to be huge?

I hope the various vehicles are balanced. I would hope that the big rig, if played properly, has a chance to win the race. I also hope that there are various perspective that u can play from. The one that is pulled back doesn't seem to have much "weight" .. but that may change with controller in hand.

Crossbar
06-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I hope the various vehicles are balanced. I would hope that the big rig, if played properly, has a chance to win the race. I also hope that there are various perspective that u can play from.
This balancing is what I hold against this game. A motorcycle would obviously always win against a big rig in reality. If they are balanced one of them, probably both may behave in a very unnatural way. I would rather play against equally capable vehicles behaving in a realistic way, instead of some turbo charged inferior vehicles and/or a some feature crippled vehicles.

I will wait for the final game to see how this pan out.

Edit: I might add that I like these pictures much more than the crappy videos from E3. :)

edoshin
06-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Aren't there usually all various vehicles in the Baja races, or do they do victories by vehicle type?

RavenFox
06-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Friggin Awesome.

Crossbar
06-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Aren't there usually all various vehicles in the Baja races, or do they do victories by vehicle type?
In Baja 1000 specifically, they have a two wheels category (mc) and a four wheel category (no big rigs, it seems).

CrumCon
06-21-2006, 06:08 PM
i want to see more tracks from motorStorm. cause the desert mud track shown at E3 this year were BORING and uniteresting

Grovestreet
06-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Aaaah...Could you just imagine driving up a mountain then Pushing a biker off the cliff:evil:

liver_kick
06-21-2006, 10:26 PM
In Baja 1000 specifically, they have a two wheels category (mc) and a four wheel category (no big rigs, it seems).

Actually there's like 20+ classes in Baja (regarding engine size etc.) Everything from million dollar Trophy Trucks to the amatuers rocking beat up VW Beetles with rally tires. Coolest and toughest race on the planet. :)

As for balance in the game, I think Evolution is coming up with a pretty clever way of handling this. As they previewed a bit in their little demo at E3, every track has varying terrain and pathways that affect each class differently. For example if you take a dirt bike down a really muddy portion of track you're going to have problems (especially if its been ripped up by the heavier vehicles), whereas one of the Trophy Trucks will be able to tear right through it. Also the bigger trucks will be able to bully the smaller quicker vehicles on the field (you wont want to roll up on a truck in an ATV), as well as take out things like ramps to prevent the smaller classes from taking advantage of them.

Remains to be seen how it'll play out, but basically Evo seems focused on encouraging the player to play to the strengths of each class and course respectively. Given their track record I think it could turn out great.

Z
06-22-2006, 06:45 AM
This balancing is what I hold against this game. A motorcycle would obviously always win against a big rig in reality. If they are balanced one of them, probably both may behave in a very unnatural way. I would rather play against equally capable vehicles behaving in a realistic way, instead of some turbo charged inferior vehicles and/or a some feature crippled vehicles.

I will wait for the final game to see how this pan out.

Edit: I might add that I like these pictures much more than the crappy videos from E3. :)
I see your point, but you are forgetting that you aren't playing a race sim here, it is arcade all the way. by that, there will be known balance concepts. i.e. bikes are fast, but light in armor, truck slower, but can take more hits.
that kind of thing.

I would guess that it would depend on your driving style. with a bike, you need to focus more on driving and less on bothering (in the E3 05 demo, a biker crashed for trying to push a buggy off the road).
if you are in a truck, you may be planning making more roadkills than racing.

I tend to think of Motor Storm as a rally Burnout.

PS. those are good pics in the link. :)

Crossbar
06-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Yes, you are right it's an arcade. I just hope they manage to make it somewhat real. It would feel so awkward if they put all this effort into making the physics effects real and in the end they spoil it by making the vehicles behave in an unnatural way just to keep them balanced.

But I read the articles describing the "boost" effect of limited supply, that you can chose to use in certain situations, so they may be able to solve this in a nice fashion.

They have plenty of time to tune this as it's not a launch title. I think it will be a great game. :)