PDA

View Full Version : Subcontracting Devs?

jaxmkii
04-26-2006, 01:39 AM
with so many aspects of development of games is it possible if we could see subcontracing in the near future?

example: small game co. wants to incorperate AI/modeling for native animals in a games enviorment. rather than spend time resurching it themselfs they simply call a indepent specilist for the job.

a new nitch in gaming industry? :shrug:

OmniStalgic
04-26-2006, 01:42 AM
sounds good to me jax...

LiquidEagle
04-26-2006, 01:42 AM
We already have plenty of that going on, what with Kyle Cooper & Imaginary Forces/Prologue Films doing the titles for MGS2 & 3 (and hopefully 4!!). Developers have also tapped other places to provide CG for them as well, though I can't recall any at the moment.

LaLiLuLeLo
04-26-2006, 02:14 AM
yeah it's called outsourcing. I do expect to see this as A.I. gets more important.

Saibo
04-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Developers have also tapped other places to provide CG for them as well, though I can't recall any at the moment.

http://www.robot.co.jp/index.php

they do alot of CG for games. Onimusha 2 CG comes to mine(i think it was 2 or was it 3?)..

Out Sourcing isnt new, and its only going to grow in the future.

cpiasminc
04-26-2006, 03:15 AM
The counterexample is that large companies that own multiple studios may distribute development across multiple of their own internal studios. That happens a lot, too, and it helps protect what they feel should be proprietary. But even companies like that may outsource something they don't look upon as super-important or they've worked with outside studios in the past when dealing with specific platforms.

The_Xeno
04-26-2006, 03:39 AM
I love outsourcing, as long as it's only cg. Robot did the most amazing intro I have ever seen Onimusha 3, and the intro's for mgs2 & 3 are also really well done.

EvilTaru
04-26-2006, 03:49 AM
with so many aspects of development of games is it possible if we could see subcontracing in the near future?

example: small game co. wants to incorperate AI/modeling for native animals in a games enviorment. rather than spend time resurching it themselfs they simply call a indepent specilist for the job.

a new nitch in gaming industry? :shrug:

It's not really new, but I don't like the idea of farming out to the point where a whole project is being farmed out to second rate developers, at the very least the director has to be good.

LaLiLuLeLo
04-26-2006, 03:51 AM
Subtle things that won't be detrimental to the game should be outsourced like I think, mainly complex A.I. may become one.

Hylian-Advocate
04-26-2006, 03:56 AM
First off.....why are their so many general gaming related wuestions in the PS3 boards?

and I think there already is alot of this kinda stuff... ....but the way I see it.... the devlopers should really do alot of it themselves so they can understand their own game further and make a deeper experience.

LiquidEagle
04-26-2006, 04:00 AM
We're talking about the future of gaming, and PS3 is undoubtedly at the center of that. :)

frosty
04-26-2006, 04:01 AM
plus you already have things like pre-made engines, such as unreal engine or speedtree, to help with certain aspects of game development. So there already is lots of tech that goes into making a game being outsourced (in a way) if you think about it.

Arnaud_M
04-26-2006, 05:16 AM
Subtle things that won't be detrimental to the game should be outsourced like I think, mainly complex A.I. may become one.

Concerning AI, what is often happening now is not exactly outsourcing but rather middleware standardization. A few companies are making "AI middleware", and they sell it to developpers. But no middleware I am aware of is really that developped from an AI standpoint (it is mainly limited to FSM with triggers, and some pathfinding on navigation meshes).

Arnaud

Z
04-26-2006, 07:22 AM
"thinks about starting his own mercenary camp with Special Ops talents opening soon for hire*

O_o