PDA

View Full Version : The educational possibilities of PS3

cliffbo
04-20-2006, 03:38 PM
lets put games to one side for a moment and consider the educational possiblities on the PS3. i've been thinking of this for years now and i see at last the real possibility.

imagine a real world emulator, with realistic environment and physics driven terrain. you wonder over this environment in real time. there are animals wondering everywhere that are native to this paticular geographic. everything, including grass, trees, insects, birds etc. are native. at any time you can lock onto an animal and the camera automatically follows it as it feeds, hunts, builds nests, feeds its young; you get the picture. you can also pause and move a cursar over the animal and information pertaining to it pops up. there are so many possibilities here that i don't know where to stop!

experiments, building engines, art, writing, Maths - all with realworld graphics and physics.

from an exploration point of view it would be great too. feeling stressed, don't want to kill anything today, just wonder around and view the scenery, sit by a stream and watch the salmon attempting to scale a waterfall. watch a kingfisher flying up and down stream, diving for fish. hell why not pull out your rod and see how many species of fish you can catch. your ideas please... :)

http://www.ioe.ac.uk/cdl/DATEC/exemplars/games/games.htm

http://www.alliance.brown.edu/pubs/voices/4qrt1999/almost.shtml

LaLiLuLeLo
04-20-2006, 03:42 PM
This would be great for practical application. Too often you're just studying words and numbers in text books. Seeing the way things behave for real really makes things register with people.

Loc
04-20-2006, 03:48 PM
The market at the moment for educational games isn't too high. But if Nintendo is proof of anything, it's entirely possible. I'm not even sure how well a concept like this can work in a gaming market dominated by Violence with the occasional quirks. Again this is a concept that can be better done on a PC to allow more coverage for schools vs. being exclusive on just a PS3. Again this is better suited for Nintendo as their market for the youth is much larger than any other and I'm sure nobody would be spending their free time traveling around on a virtual world looking at virtual creatures. But I guess this game can be marketed to those that are allergic to sunlight and can't make the trip out to the city park and observe the wildlife there.

cliffbo
04-20-2006, 03:49 PM
This would be great for practical application. Too often you're just studying words and numbers in text books. Seeing the way things behave for real really makes things register with people.

especially if you were offered the chance of capturing animals and putting them in a zoo, where you can tend to them and feed them. i'd love just doing this anyway, especially if the environments were so real and huge that exploration becomes a genuine thrill. the rare animals would have to be researched so that you know where their most likely to be.

CARTIER90
04-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Good idea Cliffbo - even though it was not educational , I remember playing GTA3 and being mesmerised by the setting sun while Tommy stands there with an M16........just watching life go by will be great in PS3 games - take a look at the Getaway demo. Hopefully the finished article will look just as 'busy' :)

cliffbo
04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
theres no reason why you couldn't buy a survival mod that leaves you stranded without food and shelter. you have to find your way to civilisation with only your wit and imagination at your disposal.

Crossbar
04-20-2006, 05:05 PM
I think this kind of infoteinment on PS3 is a great idea. I think it only existed on PC before, they usually require some kind of govermental or organisation funding.

The closest I can think of was a game sponsored by WHO I think, where you for example were responsible for flying in food supply to some people in need. Flying and dropping the packages was part of the game experience to have fun and when doing that you accidentally also got to learn a few things about Africa.

If you could do a game about wild life experience in the same way it would be great, possibly a few more people would start to care about our planet.

I remember buying SimEarth and SimLife to my sisters daughters maybe ten years ago, but they got bored pretty quick, even though the idea of the games were pretty clever, I think SimCity got more loving from those who owned the franchise.

I'm with you on this cliffbo :clap:

yoshaw
04-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I won't mind if in-game adverts of National Geographic, Discovery Channel and Animal Planet are thrown in for good measure too. I hope this game comes to fruitation but how much chance would it have in retail? I like the idea no doubt but I'm not convinced to shell out $50+ just to see some ant pick food all the way to her nest underground. See what I mean.

Ofcourse, it might be marketed as an educational software so the retail part may not even come into practice. I wouldn't mind seeing such title included as a bonus for any next-gen console though. Sounds very promising. And resource demanding for AI development too. Yikes.

cliffbo
04-20-2006, 05:18 PM
cheers crossbar. we are entering an era of unpresidented graphics and i honesly believe a lot of people who are not neccessarily games orientated would enjoy a wildlife film they could actually interact with.

cliffbo
04-20-2006, 05:24 PM
I won't mind if in-game adverts of National Geographic, Discovery Channel and Animal Planet are thrown in for good measure too. I hope this game comes to fruitation but how much chance would it have in retail? I like the idea no doubt but I'm not convinced to shell out $50+ just to see some ant pick food all the way to her nest underground. See what I mean.

Ofcourse, it might be marketed as an educational software so the retail part may not even come into practice. I wouldn't mind seeing such title included as a bonus for any next-gen console though. Sounds very promising. And resource demanding for AI development too. Yikes.

download the core program with limmited bounderies say for $15 and then add mods $5 as you explore further. adventures don't have to incorporate guns, cameras would be great to create an info base of geographical and wildlife information.