PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Dev. Refutes Troubled Development

cliffbo
03-14-2006, 01:14 AM
No one ever expected next-generation development to be an easy task, but the complete lack of anything PlayStation 3-related up for discussion means people will pounce on just about anything.
When Ninja Theory developer (the team behind the upcoming Heavenly Sword) Dean Calver started talking about the difficulties of working on today's ambitious videogames on his blog, a number of people immediately ran with the idea that PlayStation 3 would be too difficult to develop for. It isn't hard to see where people focused their attention on:

"We are so stuck doing the non important stuff (1000 facial mocaps and shaders on 10 processors with actors and cameramen straight out of hollywood...) that the actual process of making the important bit (the gameplay) has becomes nasty..." -- Dean Calver, Ninja Theory

There's only one next-generation gaming platform with the 10 processor issue, but while the rest of Calver's rant focused on the mental health of today's game developers and the possibilities of insane burnout rates amongst designers in the coming years, it was mostly ignored in favor of his PS3-related comment.

Calver shifted to the defensive last night, citing frustration with the way people reacted to his post and confirming his comments would have been the same if he was working on the PC or even Xbox 360. "For the record, I quite enjoy developing on the PS3 and would love to see what a small indie team could do with her," he says. "As a lead, I don't get much time programming but I actually use PS3 development as relaxation. Even been known to come in at the weekend and 'play' with her."

Now, about that supposed announcement on Wednesday...

now give us a chance to tamper with the lady... May would be nice.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148744

OmniStalgic
03-14-2006, 02:23 AM
I can't wait for this damn system to launch...so everyone can stop all the speculation...It's too expensive, it's too hard to program for, the Cell is a nightmare! It's really annoying, Sony needs to bring this thing out already...

Junox50
03-14-2006, 04:15 AM
I can't wait for this damn system to launch...so everyone can stop all the speculation...It's too expensive, it's too hard to program for, the Cell is a nightmare! It's really annoying, Sony needs to bring this thing out already...

I concur, OmniCloud. I want all the goofy rumors and speculations to cease too.

By the way, I love reading anything that has to do with Heavely Sword. I'm so excited for that game.

Z
03-14-2006, 04:15 AM
actually, only the price issue will be over- to an extent.
the other issues you mentioned will stay with PS3 for ever (yes, even after it dies). ;p

and the price will keep poping up every time a new gaming machine is announced- at least for the next couple of system waves.

Garfunkel
03-14-2006, 05:14 AM
CELL seems to be easy (compared to PS2 anyway), if it was really that hard we wouldn't have as much support as we do for the PS3, and the launch games seem pretty good too, which is a good sign.

Junox50
03-14-2006, 05:27 AM
and the launch games seem pretty good too, which is a good sign.

What launch games?

Garfunkel
03-14-2006, 05:31 AM
I meant the games that will probably be available at launch, eg warhawk

Junox50
03-14-2006, 05:49 AM
I meant the games that will probably be available at launch, eg warhawk

Ohh, ok. Got ya. ;)

Z
03-14-2006, 08:17 AM
PS3 isn't a walk in the park to work with, non of the new consoles are. but it is sure better than PS2.

Garfunkel
03-14-2006, 08:55 AM
The devs would be having a very hard time if it wasn't for all all the tools that Sony is giving them lately.

section
03-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Now this "cracking under the weight" is becoming more like a norm than an exception in just about every job. As Deano said he hardly has got time anymore to do code work so it's got to do with the enormous team management burden that has inflated with this nexgen.

I hope the heat eventually cools down a bit after the core technology for instance at Ninja Theory starts to be ready, so that the team doesn't need to be of unmanageable size. You can read that it's not for everybody to have to be the "whip man" slashing every inch of talent from your co-employers.

kaphwan
03-14-2006, 10:25 AM
As soon as someone gets a decent game engine working on ps3, the other companies will be able to replicate it with little extra cost.

I think this is one of the major reasons why Sony aquired a bazillion developers and put them all under one banner.

cliffbo
03-14-2006, 12:44 PM
As soon as someone gets a decent game engine working on ps3, the other companies will be able to replicate it with little extra cost.

I think this is one of the major reasons why Sony aquired a bazillion developers and put them all under one banner.

some sense at last! of course developement will be expencive in the beginning but like Kap said: once an engine is designed that caters for most things, then prices wil plummet.

RavenFox
03-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Deano is a very cool chap. Shame his stuff got taken out of context.

section
03-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I know Deano that you are reading this somewhere in England, I think that sometimes you are too extrovert a person (on internet standards at least) for your own good. It's excellent to read your blog and ideas, about your good moments and bad moments, but with the overall cruelty of the 'net I fear that there are some things you (and everyone) better keep to themselves, even on a personal blog level.

xbdestroya
03-14-2006, 05:29 PM
BUT... Deano's a better person for it, and hats off to him. :smoke:

section
03-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah, it's just that I really for some reason feel real sympathy for him, probably it's just because he keeps his blog on such a personal level and although I haven't met the person I know about the problems on software business and how cruel it can be at the times so I could at some point be in the same kind of situation myself and I can feel his pain.

But hats off and a big standing ovation to every software developing man and woman who have, regardless of their personal situation, got the passion and interest to quench the thirst of the gaming fans. :clap:

DeanoC
03-15-2006, 11:27 PM
The way I look at it, is that fundementally the ability the express oneself is a precious gift, that too many people don't use and take for granted.

Sure the whole 'fame' aspect takes some getting used to but I'll guess I'll just have to learn what to say and when...

Lets hope I don't get myself into trouble before I figure out some of the non-obvious boundrys ;-)

Old_Timer!
03-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Welcome, from all DeanoC. Good to see you onboard, wish you much success on the new Platform...

TEEDA
03-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Yup Welcome DeanoC ! wish you everything you need too.
It's a very good pleasure to have you there.

Old_Timer!
03-16-2006, 02:44 AM
Hey DeanoC what do you think about the whole Josh Robinson fiasco, in a sense your blog and his a two sides of a coin. I agree with the whole free speech, but don't you think he went overboard. We all know SOE isn't known for their great art direction lol, thanks in advance.:beer:

Saibo
03-16-2006, 02:52 AM
By the way, I love reading anything that has to do with Heavely Sword. I'm so excited for that game.

Im not really a fan of its art direction or animation(IMO it "looks" like a average game)..but it might turn out to be fun in the end. We'll see.

Z
03-16-2006, 04:40 AM
that may be so, but I fell in love with its technical achievement. the game is huge, high-res, amazing physics, vast spaces, great lighting, etc.

the game also looks to have great combo and fight scenes. this is God of War meets Dynasty Worriors. this title is what the latter could only dream of becoming. it is one of the most wanted PS3 titles on my list!

Sevin
03-16-2006, 04:46 AM
same here, heavenly sword is really looking to be an amazing game in my opinion. im dying for some new info/screens of that game. i totally overlooked that game at e3 but recently wathced the trailer and now im in love with it and watch it every couple of days now. the great thing is that it will look much more better when it releases and is running on the final ps3 hardware. hopefully it'll be a launch title or at least near launch.