PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft responds to Online threat

cliffbo
02-04-2006, 02:26 PM
not sure whether this has been posted yet:

Xbox Live Arcade group manager Greg Canessa (pictured) tells Next Generation that retro downloadable Nintendo games "won't hold up", and as far as a Sony online service goes... "good luck".

"Not to mention the community, the millions of people that use Live, that Sony doesn't have; they can't even claim an online customer.

is this guy on smack?

"The true vision for Xbox Live Arcade has always been Xbox 360 implementation. What's blown my team away is how rapid it has happened. We always thought it would be successful, but assumed it would take a little bit longer than it has.

exactly son, it aint gunna take as long as you thought for Sony to be a success either

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2188&Itemid=2

SuperLuigiBros
02-04-2006, 02:34 PM
And why is this in the PS3 section?

And i think it has been posted.

Infernal
02-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Wow this guys pretty oblivious to peoples opinions on old games... He actually thinks that nobody would want to play old nintendo games? Are you kidding me, theres probably millions of people that will buy a revolution just for that reason. Sure theres also alot of people that say, its old and done, we need to move on. But how can you consider arcade better than thousands of older nintendo titles?

Now the only thing I agree with him is that Sony's online wont be better than Live, because well this is the second generation of Live and thats Microsofts main focus point. But he really puts down Sony's online service. He keeps saying that it is something they need to work on for awhile. Now correct me if im wrong but didnt Sony start working on the PS3 online as soon as the PS2 network adapter came out? He also acts as if arcade is god, honestly ive seen arcade and it seems pretty boring to me when you can get full games with next-gen graphics compared to measly classic games even if they are "Made for the 360". Most classic games cant even go onto arcade either because nintendo wont let them, and the only classic games I really still enjoy are mario and zelda, I love that shooting sword :cheers: . I kind of feel like im attacking Microsoft right now so im gonna stop now.

But one more thing, anyone else notice how different the three companies marketing strategies are? I mean Microsoft tries to downplay the competition, Nintendo kind of just minds its own business, and Sony is kind of in the middle.

Helgunn
02-04-2006, 02:40 PM
The first comment, I agree with... playing all those classics (XBLArcade) on a good online service, in a relaxing setting beats paying for Legend of Zelda again.

Second comment, why's he pulling a Kenny K? What's up with that?

cliffbo
02-04-2006, 02:41 PM
And why is this in the PS3 section?

And i think it has been posted.

because he's talking about PS3 online

venomv
02-04-2006, 02:42 PM
It has to do with Sony's online plan too, most of that is bull.

It's taken many, many engineers several years building this robust online games service that has a single identity and a single profile and achievements and leaderboards and multiplayer match-making that we provide to all the game developers from a set of common interfaces. All of that work is really hard, and takes a really long time to build.

"Not to mention the community, the millions of people that use Live, that Sony doesn't have; they can't even claim an online customer. It takes a long time to do that. We've been in the business with Xbox Live since 2002. We've been building upon that success, and it allows Xbox Live Arcade to exist, because we leverage all of those interlying technologies.

"If Sony is trying to come at us, you know... 'good luck.' It's going to be really hard for them. It's just a huge engineering challenge, and beyond the engineering challenge, it takes a long time to build a community. Not to mention Arcade, because that has its own set of issues. You have to take time to build an ecosystem and talk to developers and get developers to put out games for that platform and work with them to plug into all of the underlying technologies that need to be in place and making sure it works properly. There's so many stacks of challenges, I can't see how Sony can catch up with us in the near-term. Long-term? I don't know anything about what their response is, and I don't know how anything will change in the foreseeable future, at least as far as Xbox Live Arcade is concerned. And, my personal opinion from a Live perspective is that that won't change."

Ohh yes, how could Sony possably do that, geez who does he think he's fooling.

@Infernal I am one that is buy a Rev to play classic games, I have the emulaters on my computer, but I'd rather play them on my TV, so yep we're out there.

Handycrap101
02-04-2006, 02:51 PM
I know I'll be purchasing the Rev aswell to play some of them classic's. IMO and emuator does them no justice.

cliffbo
02-04-2006, 03:10 PM
- Reuters reported that Sony has confirmed a spring 2006 launch date for PlayStation 3, but no territory was specific, so the system maybe launched in Japan first. Sony has denied the online reports about the PS3 launch been pushed back to Q4 2006.

- PSM has reported new tidbits regarding to PlayStation 3, based on info provided by anonymous developers.

There are far more game titles in development for PS3 than originally expected in US.
Some developers have already received the final development hardware for PS3 in early January 2006.
The performance of the PS3 hardware is faster than expected, PS3 also possesses a Digital Video Recording (DVR) function.
Sony will have a content download service similar to iTunes, but will offer high definite films and music.
PS3 will have Media Center capabilities similar to Xbox 360, but with more functions.
Video and audio can be streamed over a home network, Sony is planning for a location free rendition over PSP.
PSP will be able to exchange data with PS3; it is possible to upload multimedia contents from PSP to PS3.
PS3 will have firmware update capabilities similar to PSP.
PS3 will have more BluRay functionalities than a regular BluRay Player, because the Cell and RSX processor can do a lot more tasks while reading the discs.
PS3 will launch in US in Autumn 2006, certain game titles will have online functions at launch.

this was on www.the-magicbox.com but i can't find the article on reuters but i've posted it anyway. if anyone can find the article could you post it please. it says nothing new but seems to confirm a few things about online

edit by danji: fixed the url

Alkemist
02-04-2006, 03:21 PM
I know I'll be purchasing the Rev aswell to play some of them classic's. IMO and emuator does them no justice.

Word. And It will be nice to have them all on a single Nintendo console setup as well.

My preference is Playstation, but I will always have a soft spot for Nintendo. Especially retro classics. Talk as much as you want to about them, but some people seriously underestimate the power of nostolga. That is the biggest reason I'm even purchasing a Revolution. XBLA is awesome, no doubt...however I still would prefer having the ability to legally download old school Nintendo games on a Nintendo console. That's my opinion.

And as for Sony and the "virtual console". Heh...I think they are going to sit back and let Nintendo and MS duke this one out.

Yo MaMa84
02-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Is it me or does everytime MS says something bad about one of thier competing company, they get shot in the foot in the end.

cliffbo
02-04-2006, 03:35 PM
it never ceases to amaze me how certain sites feel it neccessary to put their own spin on things. this is www.gameshout.com spin. why are people so cynical, Sony are simply continuing with plans they've had sinse PS2. the only reason that Sony never bothered to offer something like Live was because broadband wasn't good enough to fullfill their dreams and also the reason the hard drive was delayed:

If there is one thing that this proves, it's that regardless of the nay saying from Sony about Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, Microsoft's online service has them worried. Otherwise they wouldn't be so gung-ho about getting their own service up and running. While their service may not match up to the current generation of Xbox Live when it's released, give Sony time.

xbdestroya
02-04-2006, 05:53 PM
No reason for a site not to side with Microsoft on this though - afterall, they have the service that's out there and well regarded right now, and Sony's still exists only in our minds. I wouldn't worry about finding that Reuters article either, since it's using the PSM article Kb posted as it's primary source anyway.

Handycrap101
02-04-2006, 06:03 PM
No reason for a site not to side with Microsoft on this though - afterall, they have the service that's out there and well regarded right now, and Sony's still exists only in our minds. I wouldn't worry about finding that Reuters article either, since it's using the PSM article Kb posted as it's primary source anyway.

XB, I've noticed you're kind of unsure about Sony's plan... What is it that makes you think that way. They've had plenty of time (since the launch of the PS2) to work on this and gather info to make it perfect. Also, this is Sony we are talking about and also the Playstation brand. They've done pretty well before in the past and I have nothing but positive things to expect from this network they've been raving about. Sure they aren't a software company like MS BUT that doesn't, mean they can't deliver. At the same time they have the chance to fail but I am gonna say they succeed (or maybe thats what my heart wants). But really, I wanna know your outlook on EVERYTHING that was announced in the past few days about their online network and the survey that went out a month or so ago. I'm curious what your direct thoughts are.

xbdestroya
02-04-2006, 06:10 PM
XB, I've noticed you're kind of unsure about Sony's plan... What is it that makes you think that way. They've had plenty of time (since the launch of the PS2) to work on this and gather info to make it perfect. Also, this is Sony we are talking about and also the Playstation brand. They've done pretty well before in the past and I have nothing but positive things to expect from this network they've been raving about. Sure they aren't a software company like MS BUT that doesn't, mean they can't deliver. At the same time they have the chance to fail but I am gonna say they succeed (or maybe thats what my heart wants). But really, I wanna know your outlook on EVERYTHING that was announced in the past few days about their online network and the survey that went out a month or so ago. I'm curious what your direct thoughts are.

I just don't like putting 'faith' in anything. I think personally that Sony's online scheme is going to be good, and you've seen me post my excitement at the possible DVR features and stuff. But when sites write articles essentially knocking Sony and the chance of their plans seeing fruition, it's not really any different than sites writing articles and saying, 'ok here we go, it's definitely happening now...' Both are just assumptions based on different viewpoints. One from the direction that a software-centric company that's had a similar service for years can do it better (and plus Sony 'failed' once at it), and the other from the viewpoint that when Kutaragi and his team truly set their mind to it, the job gets done.

It's rare that any one company stays on top forever though. I was shocked the way Playstation quickly displaced Nintendo as the #1 for example. And I don't think Sony is going to drop to #2 this gen, but it is a fight - when Vista launches you will see lot's of additional 360 tie-ins, meanwhile Sony may try to start trying to undermine the need for a computer itself, so very serious posturing here.

Anyway I'm not 'unsure' of the Playstation Life service; just rather, how can anyone be sure of anything until it's happened? :)

I don't read or even care about articles that knock Sony before the service even launches, but on the other hand I would myself equally disregard articles hypothesizing that Live's going down. My only real interest lies in artcles that provide new information, and I make my own conclusions from there.

Anyway hope that clarifies Handycrap, I'm not down on Life at all. I'm just not letting muself set my expectations too high either before more information is revealed.

Helios
02-04-2006, 06:14 PM
I have a 360 and the arcade is not so fantastic that nothing could touch it, its definately no where near what nintendo is going to pull off. But really I could care less playng retro games is and should not be the primary focus online wise.

As for Sony's service not being up to par with Live, thats just a load of straight BS. Live is not hard to imitate by any stretch of the imagination and then augment to blow Live out of the water. Live is already established? My ass it is, this is software here people not some intricate piece of new hardware. People dont seem to realise just how primitive the Live service truly is.

Mark my words when Sony unveils its online plan its going to make live look like BBS.

But one more thing, anyone else notice how different the three companies marketing strategies are? I mean Microsoft tries to downplay the competition, Nintendo kind of just minds its own business, and Sony is kind of in the middle.

I think Sony kind of falls into the same category as ninty. Except of course Kutaragi's personal grandious statements*laughs at sig*.

Is it me or does everytime MS says something bad about one of thier competing company, they get shot in the foot in the end.

Thats because MS has no finesse when it comes to anything. They cant even insult their competition right without looking completely ridiculous.

edoshin
02-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Frankly I may pull up a classic arcade like Joust or Pac-Man on Mame once in a long while .. but even then, its only good for about 5 minutes of play. My fondest memories are of NES games tho .. I was very young, and every game was a fasacination.

frosty
02-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Yo MaMa84

Like Blu-Ray making PS3 cost $1000, Major Nelson, etc. You would think that after having to eat their words so many times they would get the point.

Handycrap101
02-04-2006, 07:44 PM
*snip*

Fair enough... I guess you're not so much like some of us rapid wolves who jump for joy when we read any positive speculation. I for one just like hearing anything good becuase I know I'm investing my money in the product and when I hear good things it makes me feel more secure about how I spend my money.

Junox50
02-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, its really just typical PR from Microsoft. Sony has its days where they do something similar. We really have no idea on what Sony is bringing with online, though some of us remain skeptical and others hopeful. I can't blame XB for not coming to believe it, since we've heard nothing that suggests that Sony is going to whoop MS in the online department. I agree though that I think Sony will have a fantastic online service.

I disagree with the comment though that nobody is going to want to play old Nintendo games. I'd like to pick up a Rev myself just for that. The old school Nintendo games were awesome.

Helios
02-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I disagree with the comment though that nobody is going to want to play old Nintendo games. I'd like to pick up a Rev myself just for that. The old school Nintendo games were awesome.

So you would buy the Rev for nothing else except the old games?

I guess the point im making here is that its going to be great to play them and all but I doubt you would buy a machine that played only that. You're going to want to play actual Rev games eventually.

frosty
02-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I'd buy rev just for old games, maybe not quite at that price, but that is a hell of a selling point. They need to release a usb adapter for it that has a nes, snes, n64, gb, gba cart reader on it.

LiquidEagle
02-04-2006, 08:44 PM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/534/534576p1.html

I suggest taking a look at that article if you ever have doubts about Sony's ability to gain a "customer." Yeah it's from July 2004, meaning it's Pre-Halo 2 (zomg HALO!11), but it shows how much a great title unique to a console can get a following regardless of a unified online structure or whatever, and this XBL GM should recognize that. I don't think it takes much to see that Sony Online is in a sort of infancy that never really developed on the PS2, and I think that's for various reasons. Compared to 2002, I think home consoles are infinitely more online-ready and the PS3 hardware is far more capable than the PS2 is as an online device. Xbox had the advantage of a built-in HDD and a built-in Ethernet port, and the rest was a very basic approach with Live. Sony simply took a different approach and I think they realized early on that they weren't going to be able to deliver on what they'd hoped. It's not all about companies lying...sometimes they just mis-underestimate a task :thumbr:. Sony's a ridiculously observant company, and they know when they've made a mistake (except for the two controller ports on PS2...I don't think they ever paid for that one in full -- maybe that's why PS3 has more than 4 controllers capability!? That's for another post :-p). They go about correcting their mistakes in a methodical and carefully planned way, which is exactly what I think they're doing with this PS3 Online. Sony never ceases to amaze me in the kind of things they pull off and the relationships they form with various companies, so if there's any company that could wipe the floor with XBL, it's most definitely Sony. Or Battle.net :-p. This guy is probably just exercising Microsoft's signature uneasy-cockiness, or he's a complete moron for telling Sony "good luck" and claiming they don't have "an online customer."

Junox50
02-04-2006, 09:06 PM

I guess the point im making here is that its going to be great to play them and all but I doubt you would buy a machine that played only that. You're going to want to play actual Rev games eventually.

No no no! I made a slight error. I forgot to correct that out of my post there. I meant to say I'd get it for one of those reasons.

Viper
02-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Sounds as though he also forgets that it more than likely won't just be Nintendo games. Nin has been in tlaks with ever major publisher out there regarding their back catalog of titles for the Virtual Console. Sega is one of the most likely to offer their titles up and that might even include some DC titles. Namco, Konami, Square-Enix and more are all in negotiations.

XboxLive isn't just competing with Nin (which in reality it isn't as they are two different animals) but in the context of his statements, they may just be competing with every major publisher from previous generations.

Domination
02-04-2006, 09:45 PM
The first comment, I agree with... playing all those classics (XBLArcade) on a good online service, in a relaxing setting beats paying for Legend of Zelda again.

Second comment, why's he pulling a Kenny K? What's up with that?

I agree with the first point although I'm still not pleased that ONE of those arcade games on Live should run you about $15.00 to play when you could go out and purchase several nostalgic titles for around the same price.

For your second comment, what makes you think he isn't pulling an Allard? http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/lol2.gif

Not to mention the community, the millions of people that use Live, that Sony doesn't have; they can't even claim an online customer. It takes a long time to do that. We've been in the business with Xbox Live since 2002. We've been building upon that success, and it allows Xbox Live Arcade to exist, because we leverage all of those interlying technologies.

I'd have to disagree with this quote. Sony has manage to gain a much larger install base than Live for their first online attempt for the PlayStation 2. I'm not sure what the install base is for Live 2, but if it is to be next-generation, then why shouldn't it be seen as a more strategic approach? What he is saying would be the same as comparing the Xbox 360 console to the PS2. Is that even fair? This guy is obviously worried.

It isn't you at all. I think Microsoft is revealing way too many weaknesses about themself. To keep talking about Live (as they've done with everything else already,) they are hinting at the fact that this is their only real major card left to play. And it's bad because, during the entire time, the others have only been setting back quietly taking notes. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and this just so happens to be one of them.

venomv
02-04-2006, 10:42 PM

That is the only reason I want to buy a Rev, so I would.

I'd have to disagree with this quote. Sony has manage to gain a much larger install base than Live for their first online attempt for the PlayStation 2. I'm not sure what the install base is for Live 2, but if it is to be next-generation, then why shouldn't it be seen as a more strategic approach? What he is saying would be the same as comparing the Xbox 360 console to the PS2. Is that even fair? This guy is obviously worried.

I think he said that because they charge for Live while Sony made no direct money from their online service. But they made money selling the adaptor, and the made money on game sales that people bought to play online. But it is hard to tell how much Sony made on online.

Smokey
02-05-2006, 06:26 AM
is there anyway to find out how many people actually play ps2 online. i know heaps of people who do.

Handycrap101
02-05-2006, 06:31 AM
is there anyway to find out how many people actually play ps2 online. i know heaps of people who do.

Actually... In a recent thread I asked the same question. I don't have an exact number but I know SOCOM is the single most played online game and that there are more combined users on a Playstaion 2 playing online then on Xbox Live.

Smokey
02-05-2006, 06:44 AM
thanks handy, i can also say there is a lot of people that play v8s2 & other games on gamespy do they take them into consideration? and other servers

edit:sorry i didnt see the COMBINED users part lol