PDA

View Full Version : RSX cheaper than thought...

Dradien
01-17-2006, 05:58 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=302

According to that article, ATI and Nvidia are both using a processess called Halg node, basiclly using a 80 process. It makes it about 20 percent cheaper.

Viper
01-17-2006, 06:01 PM
That'd be about $20.00 less if you accept previous price estimates.

That's a lot of money over time.

xbdestroya
01-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Dradien hate to burst your bubble, but this doesn't have anything to do with RSX. :) It might effect Xenos in the 360 fairly quickly - who knows - but Sony is going to be the one fabbing the RSX, not TSMC. So RSX will definitely be 90nm to start, then down to 65nm.

Dradien
01-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Edited out...

Wouldn't Sony be able to use the process thought?

Also, I have a question that's been bugging me for a long long time. Is TSMC a company that makes Sami-conductors or what?

Viper
01-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Hmm, well that sure took a wrong turn (I was gonna make a 360 pun but it didn't sound right).

xbdestroya
01-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Edited out...

Wouldn't Sony be able to use the process thought?

Also, I have a question that's been bugging me for a long long time. Is TSMC a company that makes Sami-conductors or what?

No, Sony wouldn't be able to use the process...

...and yes, TSMC makes processors. :)

To note, they make processors for companies like ATI and NVidia (fabless companies). ATI and NVidia don't actually make their own chips, they outsource production to comapnies like Chartered, UMC, and TSMC.

Z
01-17-2006, 06:16 PM
say it anyways Viper :)

I think Sony will jump from 90n to 65n. that is why I don't see it happening until at least a year or more has passed. they might as well make a re-design to boost sales. but wait a minute, PS2 CPU/GPU were shrunken without an outer desing difference. ack.