PDA

View Full Version : Fox has no plans to release movies on HD DVD format

O.D.S
12-05-2005, 03:38 AM
Fox Filmed Entertainment has already chosen its side in the ongoing battle between the yet unreleased next generation DVD formats, Blu-Ray Disc and HD-DVD. Fox has said that it wont release movies in both formats like some other studios have decided to. The company see PlayStation 3 support as enough to indicate Blu-ray as the clear winner already. Also, like other studios backing the Sony developed format, Fox is very interested in the copy protection technology that it provides.

"We believe that Blu-ray not only has the superior technology and backing in terms of strength to market but also the superior content protection," Fox Filmed Entertainment co-chairman James Gianopulos said. Blu-ray Disc allows movies studios to decide on Mandatory Managed Copy on a per title basis, which may be bad for consumers as it might leave them with no way to backup the movies they buy on Blu-ray Discs.

HP had demanded that Blu-ray adopt Mandatory Managed Copy completely, as well as iHD, which would provide new interface features for the format. The Blu-ray group however declined to use iHD, and are backing a Java-based menu system instead. iHD is slated to be part of Microsoft's newest operating system, Windows Vista, and it is already supported by HD DVD.

It seems now that the movie studios are going for Blu-ray Disc for its strong copy protection whereas many tech companies are leaning towards HD DVD because of the consumer friend features it supports. Bill Gates recently called Blu-ray's copy protection, anti-consumer. "The inconvenience is that the studios got too much protection at the expense of consumers and it won't work well on PCs," Gates explained.
LINK: http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7106.cfm

O.D.S
12-05-2005, 03:38 AM
At a Blu-ray Disc press demo held on November 29th, Andy Parsons, senior VP advanced product development for Pioneer announced the delayed readiness of the 50GB disc but downplayed it saying that it was something the industry would grow into over time. However, Buena Vista Home Entertainment president Bob Chapek said Disney was expecting the 50GB disc "from the get-go." The 25GB standard single layer Blu-Ray discs will be launched in the first half of 2006.

It is believed however that the 50GB disc will not be available until late in 2006. Chapek's reason for discomfort is understandable; he envisions packing a disc completely with high definition movies and extra features, which would require the bigger 50GB disc. He also envisions releasing Blu-ray/DVD hybrid discs for consumers who want to buy a movie but wont have a Blu-ray player for some time - another possibility that will probably need a lot more time to be available.
LINK: http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7099.cfm

Viper
12-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Thsi is why that one company, Intel perhaps, said HD-DVD would have the larger format when released because they'll have their 30 GB disc available before Sony has it's 50 GB disc ready.

25 GB should still be plenty to start with.

O.D.S
12-05-2005, 04:18 AM
When is HD-DVD releasing their 30GB discs?

Viper
12-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Feb-March is the release date for HD-DVD players and movies.

L3XO
12-05-2005, 04:51 AM
they need to open their eyes, they said the same thing with VHS and DVD's. Nothing is 100% protected. Give it a few months and i guarantee illegal copies will emerge along with burners and the lot.

Garfunkel
12-05-2005, 05:30 AM
oh sure billy boy and windows is very consumer friendly, charging $99999999 for a crap bit of code and brainwashing the average customer away from the mighty linux......very consumer friendly.

rich bloody moron

Z
12-05-2005, 05:53 AM
so when is the BD coming out world wide? I am guessing at the same time or before HD-DVD. i fnot, the gap won't be that noticeable to mention.

Viper
12-05-2005, 05:56 AM
PS3 launches BD from what I've always gathered. It only makes sense to me.

Red_Eyes
12-05-2005, 06:00 AM
I am guessing Blu-Ray will come out worldwide officially in March, as that's when PS3 launch globally.

BahnNZ
12-05-2005, 06:29 AM
If the Blu Ray disks come out only 25GB for 6 months, that doesn't matter.

If the PS3 can only read 25GB disks, that's disaster!

L3XO
12-05-2005, 07:55 AM
well... i wouldnt call it a disaster. most games won't need more than 20 gigs anyway. Just because BR holds much, dosnt mean the ps3 will be so incredible strong it would need that much.

BahnNZ
12-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Whatever PS3 does will be the defacto standard for Blu Ray. PS3 only supporting single layer would mean Blu Ray would be only 25GB while HD DVD would be 34GB and cheaper to manufacture. Disaster.

but... I imagine Ps3 does dual layer, I imagine the problem that's delaying then 6 months is in the manufacture of the disks, not the reader.

BahnNZ
12-05-2005, 08:11 AM
TOKYO (AFX) - Matsushita Electric Industrial Co Ltd is planning mass production of double-layer Blu-ray discs, a next-generation optical media that can store 50 gigabytes of data, and will begin shipping samples to Hollywood studios by January, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported without citing sources.

The business paper said the company installed a line to produce double-layered discs at a California site in October and is now working to raise production speed as well as lower costs and defects.

Matsushita already mass produces single-layer Blu-ray discs and is getting ready to commercialize that business.

The double-layer Blu-ray disc is being positioned against HD DVD, the rival next-generation format that is being touted by a group led by Toshiba Corp.

Oh I don't know what's going on... My brain hurts...

http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/afx/2005/12/04/afx2368045.html