PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Media Capabilities

ded5850
11-04-2005, 02:10 AM
I remember reading awhile back that Sony had planned on having a lot of capabilities similar to the ones the 360 are touting around as if they're souly their own. Isn't the idea of accessing you're PS3 from anywhere still out there? Connecting to it with your eyetoy via ANYWHERE? I mean, i hear so much about the 360's media capabilities, and they are said in such aay that it's unheard of coming from the PS3. That they didn't even THINK of such things! I just would like someone to clear this up for me.

Red_Eyes
11-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Google it.
Unless you've been living under a rock for over a year now, you should know it
by now how much more media capabilites PS3 has over Xbox 360.

speed stick
11-04-2005, 03:41 AM
^If there are so many, then why don't you give some examples. Come to think of it, I can only think of watching HD TV throught it as a possibility.

Danji
11-04-2005, 06:20 AM
oi, speed stick. You suck.

DVR capabilities (accessory), streaming video from sites, doing updating of videos (though on-line function), and creating meta-data about data (like videos). With the linux add-on you can do a lot with more with it too. Let alone all the media you can stick in the device and the fact that you can interact with it with your PSP (video/audio-wise). It has a lot.

Red_Eyes
11-04-2005, 06:57 AM
oi, speed stick. You suck.

DVR capabilities (accessory), streaming video from sites, doing updating of videos (though on-line function), and creating meta-data about data (like videos). With the linux add-on you can do a lot with more with it too. Let alone all the media you can stick in the device and the fact that you can interact with it with your PSP (video/audio-wise). It has a lot.

With Linux on PS3, you can do almost anything a computer can do, except type up your homework.

Glacier
11-04-2005, 11:11 AM
With Linux on PS3, you can do almost anything a computer can do, except type up your homework.

What!? =-o
I can't use the Office applications with Linux!
Please tell me it can! PLEASE!! :-(

CrumCon
11-04-2005, 12:48 PM
not to mention streaming video or sound files to PSP wirelessly

ded5850
11-04-2005, 12:54 PM
I've just read a few magazines, and even online articles, how they always rave about the 360's multimedia capabilities, and they never mention the OS3. I was just wondering why

rpgamer_2k5
11-04-2005, 02:01 PM
What!? =-o
Please tell me it can! PLEASE!! :-( That's a fallacy. You can do that if such software were written specifically for the Cell. Lets remember that, the Cell is going into other systems, along with the the PS3. Therefore except OpenOffice to be available for Cell PCs, once that happens, you can type up your homework, compile spreadsheets, etc, etc.

Coded-Dude
11-04-2005, 04:18 PM
or you could download the source code and a cross compiler(if its availoble first) and compile the office suite for cell yourself..........

Z
11-04-2005, 08:48 PM
plus wireless interactivity between PSP and PS3 like streaming, save edits, upload/download, etc. and you can use P2P on PS3!

Danji
11-04-2005, 08:57 PM
or you could download the source code and a cross compiler(if its availoble first) and compile the office suite for cell yourself..........
Wouldn't that make it run like crap though? No SPU utilization at all. Though I did think of that myself when that guy said "you can't type up your homework" it would work to well when it tries to make the transition from x86 OOOE to PPC IOE. Though, I feel like it would run it better than the comp I'm using..:-(

Coded-Dude
11-04-2005, 09:04 PM
i don't think it would run like "crap" but you are basically right. It wouldn't be "optimized." For a lot of apps, rather than rewriting all the source code or retooling it for a different hardware, a cross-compiler is used. This is the fast approach. Of course there are other solutions to this problem as well: "you can't type up your homework" Open a termial and learn to use VI/EMACS I mean thats loike saying without MS office you can't type up your homework on windows.....anybody ever heard of notepad?

Anywho, I think because of the CELL's "open" direction(linux + cell) we will see many MANY apps ported to it. Of cousre the initial ones will be business production apps, because CELL wrokstations/servers/ are hitting the market first. But once end users get their hands on it, the game is all over.........

Z
11-04-2005, 10:50 PM
if PSP homebrew support is any indication, PS3 will be a gasoline soaked hay stack set on fire. that is if Sony loosen up a bit and not be so damned protective.

rpgamer_2k5
11-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Dude: I agree. Utilizing the PPC will not be a problem at all if a cross-compiler was used. The PPE is a beast alone, with floating-point capability exceeding any of the PCs. Fixed-point performance is there, but it really hasn't changed after the PIII 500.

However, I expect a good number of applications specifically designed for the Cell to be released soon. We're talking about a very powerful CPU and many are going to turn that into a fully function home computer. Lets also not forget about those that can't afford to purchase those Cell Blade servers. ;)

All we need is a BDR capability for the PS3. Since a small portion of the BDROM is writable (for update purposes) and is also being touted as a VCR replacement, it is posible that writing capability could be standard for all Blu-Ray players.

Z
11-05-2005, 12:17 AM
I think you can easily hook up an external BD writer to PS3.

Lekko
11-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Okay... if your spelling is that bad that you need a cell processor running at full speed to fix your homework, you need serious help.

chrismt
11-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Nice call ;-] I agree that the potential of homebrew on the PS3 could erupt, but it all depends on if Sony does or doesn't screw us over with updates removing the opportunity to homebrew. And how long would it take for a cheap Blu-ray writer? DVDRW is imo barely beginning to be inexpensive. But then again Sony could allow the user free reign with Linux so who knows. What I do know is they will attempt to make their system as secure as possible so people don't go virus happy with it.

Z
11-05-2005, 02:51 AM
I want a cell that can do my homework, not just spell it. that and to read my future ;)

chrismt
11-05-2005, 02:53 AM
I think it can already read your future. And it says you will be spending the next 3-4 years with a controller in your hands:D

O.D.S
11-05-2005, 03:20 AM
I think it can already read your future. And it says you will be spending the next 3-4 years with a controller in your hands:D
LOL, its like you've known me my whole life

Z
11-05-2005, 03:38 AM
just like the past 3-4 years...and the one before that, and the one before that, and th..., ......

wow. what a fulfillfull (heck can't even spell it!) and meaningful life I had/ am having. here's for a nother 2 decades of indulged gameplay!

Red_Eyes
11-05-2005, 05:16 AM
What!? =-o
Please tell me it can! PLEASE!! :-(

The reason you can't do your homework on your PS3 is because...

Once you turn it on, you'll be having so much fun that you forgot all about your life, your family, your job, and your homework.

But than again, you could do your homework, but you would rather be playing your PS3 than doing your homework on PS3, unless PS3 has a way to make doing homework on PS3 more fun.

Infernal
11-05-2005, 03:40 PM
The reason you can't do your homework on your PS3 is because...

Once you turn it on, you'll be having so much fun that you forgot all about your life, your family, your job, and your homework.

But than again, you could do your homework, but you would rather be playing your PS3 than doing your homework on PS3, unless PS3 has a way to make doing homework on PS3 more fun.
LOL I can imagine it now. You open Word on your PS3 and it goes. Wait! Here if you get a headshot on this guy Ill tell you how to spell that word...