PDA

View Full Version : PS3 backward-compatibility

Glacier
10-26-2005, 03:59 AM
Here I found some info regarding PS3 compatibility and good explanation to why slim PS2 doesn't support some games:

During a little chat with Digital World Tokyo, SCEI's Reiko Sakamoto admitted that the imminent PS3 will not necessarily be 100% backwards compatible.

"It's hard to say the PlayStation 3 will be 100 percent backwards compatible but as we said earlier this year we aim to make it so as much as possible," Sakamoto said.

"We believe multiple factors are responsible," said Reiko Sakamoto, a spokeswoman for SCEI in Tokyo. The latest console uses a new chipset - the chip that sits between the main processor and the rest of the device - and changes in that chip coupled with the way some software is programmed are believed to be causing the glitches, she said. The problems are largely screen hang-ups during certain parts of the game but also include glitches such as the slow saving of game data onto memory cards.

http://ployer.com/archives/2005/10/compatibility_i.php

Kb-smoker
10-26-2005, 04:09 AM
PS2 was NEVER 100% backwards compatible with ps1 games. Same will be true of the PS3. Not really a big deal, it's not like you need a HDD to play any PS2 or ps1 games on the PS3. ;)

Red_Eyes
10-26-2005, 04:10 AM
Again, Ken or somebody already said that PS3 won't be 100% compatible with PS2 or PS1 games because being the clever programmers that programmers are, they sometimes hack the system and do things that it wasn't meant to do, or, write some weird ass code that people never thought about before.

gnznroses
10-26-2005, 05:40 AM
hell, even the newset slimline isn't 100% compatible, witht the same problems (slow saving, etc). read it on ign.

Black Dragon37
10-26-2005, 12:48 PM
I never thought any console can be 100% backward compatible...

But below 90% isn't acceptible.

At least the PS2 was 90%+ backward compatible.

rpgamer_2k5
10-26-2005, 01:16 PM
PS2's backward compatability probably runs at the high 90s; only a few games are not compatible. In fact all my PSX games work on the PS2. Dozens have been tried since my PSX is in my living room.

CrumCon
10-26-2005, 03:24 PM
This doesnt surpise me at all..

I remember i wanted to play Family games (PS1) on my PS2 console. i mean.. ithey are simple compilation games like chess, checkers, bagamon and some ot her card games.. but it just wont run on my PS2.

But PS3 being pretty powerful, i expect it to emulate PS1 thorught software emulation ( is thing better then hardware emulation they did on PS2?)

and as for PS2.. must be hadrware emulated

Glacier
10-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Well its a minor problem or not at all, as you mentioned, friends. Backward compatibility isn't that impotant for lots of people, but never the less, its an extra fuctionality you will be happy to see included into your machine.
And Crumcon, I like the point you rose. The PS3 will be so powerful on the hardware level that it will emulate PS1 + 2 through software emulation only.

tazz3
10-26-2005, 04:50 PM
i would not mind the PS3 beging backwards compatible with ps2 games.
but backwards compatible with ps1 gamnes would be dumb.
why would any body want to play PS1 games any more.
sont should just leave out backwards compatible with PS1 GAMES.

Glacier
10-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Maybe it just because it poses no challange for Sony. It comes naturally as a consequance of the PS3's structure. And because PS3 isn't just a gaming console, it spins (plays) anything that get between its grasps. Isn't this what Nintindo brag about in there DS? Tazz3, its wise to leave the choice to the customer.

cpiasminc
10-26-2005, 05:29 PM
The PS3 will be so powerful on the hardware level that it will emulate PS1 + 2 through software emulation only.
Well, power isn't really the whole issue with console software emulation. For instance, you can say that it would be easy for Revolution to emulate Gamecube because they're both PPC and the new GPU will have a featureset that is a superset of the Dolphin's. Problem is that the real trick is emulating that CPU and GPU on THAT bus, with THAT type of memory and THAT type of optical drive and THAT API and so on.

I can take our games for PS2 -- all of them, and I mean all, are written in a constant maintained error state (and no, this is not unique). That is to say, that we maintain a race condition where the VUs happen to be pumping out values at the same time that the GS is rendering them and success depends solely on maintaining that the VU is staying a few vertices ahead of the GS and/or is running faster than the GS. The PS2 and the VU microcode we use happens to be balanced juuuuust right that we know this works. Difficulty emulating this? It means that your software emulator has to establish EXACTLY the same performance (within pretty small bounds) in all aspects in order to work properly. Too fast or too slow or too big a difference in performance between one thing and another, and the whole thing will just fall apart.

CrumCon
10-26-2005, 05:40 PM
PS2 could not emulated fully by software, some games may be coded using codes that are only available on PS2 hadrware and could not be done throught software.

This has been proven with PS1 hadrware emulation on PS2, and till we didnt get 100% emulation on ps1.. if it was done by software, the numbers may be higher.

But hadrware emulation of ps2 on ps3 would be dirt cheap for sony i think. ps2 has been out fore more then 5 years now

D3adcell
10-26-2005, 05:53 PM

I still play my NES, why would I not want to play some great ps1 games that I have not yet played/beaten? Just becuase the graphics wont be as good don't make a difference to me.

KiLLA2006
10-26-2005, 06:51 PM
i still play mgs ps1 on my ps2 and hell if im gonna stop playing when ps3 comes out... BEST GAME EVER MADE!!!

cliffbo
10-26-2005, 06:56 PM
does anyone know what games are incompatible with the new pstwo ?.
and will the ps3 be less compatible with either ps1 or pstwo/ps2 also anyone know if ps3 will be mp4 or divx or xvid capable via codecs like the psp?

Phryne Astynome
10-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Not even PCs are 100% backwards compatible with legacy software. I don't know why people are surprised at this news.

CrumCon
10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
does anyone know what games are incompatible with the new pstwo ?.
and will the ps3 be less compatible with either ps1 or pstwo/ps2 also anyone know if ps3 will be mp4 or divx or xvid capable via codecs like the psp?

My ps2 plays divx , xvid , mp3s just fine ;)

anyway, i hope ps2 will get smoothed when playing on ps3 :)

and im pretty sure PS1 games will looks much better.

Glacier
10-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Well, I think of the PS3 as the equavilant of a fully upgraded PC; with the latest GPU chip and all of the other stuffs being equiped. Then you only need the appropriate software to decode the input signals. What I mean is that on the hardware level the console will be capable of receiving and computing the signals being received but it stands up for the "mind"/software to direct the process. e.g. you can play PS1 games on the desktop if you know how to crack the security code.
So with PS3'processor capablities, backward compatiblity wouldn't be an issue. They only have to add the software that will decode PS1 and PS2's games signals.
O.K. I may know so little about computers and whats under the hood but that what my simple mind is telling me to be right.
cpiasminc, thanks for your explanation. You talked about the balance between UV and GS that must be met inside the PS2 for the processor to work.
First, tell me what do UV and GS stand for?
And where does EE(Emtion Engine) fill its roll?

Domination
10-26-2005, 08:47 PM

...the same reason some people would probably want to play games like Galaga. ;-] It is called commitment. Forsaking the user base that made you what you are today in favor of a new user base will only distant your relationship with previous users every new generation, causing a limited user base all together.

woundingchaney
10-26-2005, 09:45 PM
...the same reason some people would probably want to play games like Galaga. ;-] It is called commitment. Forsaking the user base that made you what you are today in favor of a new user base will only distant your relationship with previous users every new generation, causing a limited user base all together.

:splitspin
i agree with much you have to say there Dom, but at the same time I think BC is somewhat exagerrated. The majority of gamers arent going to be overly interested in playing back titles when they have the next gen of polish sitting next to their console. Of course having the option of BC is a large bonus, but not by any means a necessity.

As far as Sony's troubles with BC in the PS3 its something that I doubt Sony will have a problem with. Sony has always had BC as a standard and I see no reason for them to drop it now. Of course the
BC rates may be somewhat less impressive than last gen but only by a marginal basis (opinion).

Domination
10-26-2005, 10:10 PM
:splitspin
i agree with much you have to say there Dom, but at the same time I think BC is somewhat exagerrated. The majority of gamers arent going to be overly interested in playing back titles when they have the next gen of polish sitting next to their console. Of course having the option of BC is a large bonus, but not by any means a necessity.

As far as Sony's troubles with BC in the PS3 its something that I doubt Sony will have a problem with. Sony has always had BC as a standard and I see no reason for them to drop it now. Of course the
BC rates may be somewhat less impressive than last gen but only by a marginal basis (opinion).

I totally agree, but I can definitely see their reason for doing it, though. They are killing off the PS1 after ten years of success. By keeping those aboard that still prefer such content avalible for the older platforms, Sony has chosen to not leave them behind dispite what's to come in the future. As we all know, content is usually what help drives a system, and honestly, I think it should be supported in any means necessary regardless of the way it looks. I'm one in that small percentage that still pick up older titles on dated platforms. By supporting both user bases, you are consolidation your relationship with those users which, in essense, gives you the best of both worlds.

So although it's not as important as it is made out to be, I feel it's important enough to retain a stronger user base.

Z
10-26-2005, 10:29 PM
there are a lot of retro fans out there, so they like to play old games. can you believe that some got excited when Ninty said you can play 20 year old games on Rev? heck, every body who is interested is playing them through emulators and those 'collection', 'museum' and 'treasures' game collections. some even made PSP emulators for not only those old games, but for GBA ones as well.

also, such games can be fun. some cell-phone games are nice. I loved a Neo Geo/Genesis game called Majic Bubble or something on a Neo-Geo collection disc. it was simple, fun and addictive.

about b/c precentage: technically speaking, PS2 isn't 100% compatible with PSOne games. I think Sony made a list of such games back in the day. the games that cannot be played on PS2 were something like ~6. we are talking about 6 or so games out of a library of +7000! that isn't bad by a long shot. again with ps3, you think it will be an issue if it didn't play some PSOne games? well, you know what? who ever hasn't got a PSOne by that time can get one dirt cheap. and I meand really cheap, even a used one. let's see how strong your commitment is.
but again, we will be talking about a handfull of PSOne and PS2 games here. with a combined library of +13000, you definitly won't hear me complaining.

Kb-smoker
Not really a big deal, it's not like you need a HDD to play any PS2 or ps1 games on the PS3. ;)
keep in mind that X2 'needs' and HDD to play only some Box games! talk about overkill.

Danji
10-26-2005, 11:25 PM
He knows Z, it was a joke of his. Tasteful in my oppinion. I agree, buying an HDD for the Ps3 to play older games would suck, but it's better than no backwards compatibility...or..is it?

With linux on the PS3 you could emulate PSone games easily. PS2 would be quite something but even if sony drops the ball for the PSone BC then you could do the linux thing.

Kb-smoker
10-27-2005, 03:38 AM
Sony tested during October and September the retro-compatibility of PlayStation 3 on sets of old generations.

According to these tests, 90% of its plays would be compatible with the PS3 (nearly 300 plays have were tested). It is true that 10%, that can appear enormous, but when one sees the number of plays available to 2 old consoles (PS1 and PS2), one does not have too much concern to be done.

The tests also related to the DVD, CD, and other formats which the console can read. On the latter no problem was detected.

Source: Sony

Link (http://www.ps3-live.com/news-ps3/sony-teste-la-retro-compatibilite-de-la-ps3.html)

xbdestroya
10-27-2005, 04:01 AM
Hey awesome Kb! This is the kind of stuff we need to know - potential actual info!

I would be honest when I say 90% compatability would dissapoint me somewhat. I hope none of my games are affected! But still 90% is a good achievement however. I hope for that sacrifice though they're doing it sans the PS2 hardware inside!

Just as important, this article (if true) puts to final rest any notion of PS3 only shipping with blu-ray optical capability.

stanDarsh
10-27-2005, 04:09 AM
Actually considering the size of the library, it doesnt surprise me. I suspect the majority of the games affected will be for PS1 and not PS2, just like the problems that the new Silver PStwo has faced.

Danji
10-27-2005, 04:17 AM
Great to hear KB!

O.D.S
10-27-2005, 05:08 AM
Yeah thats great news

and xbd thats the 1st thing that came to my mind...im really looking forward to Blu-Ray!

imported_The_One
10-27-2005, 05:37 AM
Hmm... 10% is quite huge when you consider how many thousands, or maybe even tens of thousand, games are in the PS game library... 10% of a thousand is already 100, 10% of 10K is--well, you get the idea :P.

Well, I'm not too surprised though, this kind of thing is bound to happen... At least we can say that it's a better attempt/effort than what Microsoft is currently trying to do.

stanDarsh
10-27-2005, 07:40 AM
To be fair most of those games will probably be like "Britney's Dance and Beat", "Olsen Twins" "Spice World" etc. so I'm not too upset. As long as I can play the majority of my favourite games, I'm happy. That said, I know some of you will be a bit disappointed by the news. There's still a fair amount of time until PS3 launches anyway, so perhaps by then, they may be able to up the list to say 95%, who knows!

Z
10-27-2005, 09:52 AM
MGS vs Olsen Twins. hmmm, which should I pick I wounder?
wait, don't tell me Barbie's pony adventure won't get supported! I will kill someone!! screw Z.O.E, I want my rainbow colored ponys!!

Stelio
10-27-2005, 05:29 PM
MGS vs Olsen Twins. hmmm, which should I pick I wounder?
wait, don't tell me Barbie's pony adventure won't get supported! I will kill someone!! screw Z.O.E, I want my rainbow colored ponys!!

LOL...Thats the funniest thing I read all day.

tazz3
10-27-2005, 05:58 PM
90 percent is really good.
iam sure all the new games like god of war will be abe to be played on the ps3

Domination
10-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Hey awesome Kb! This is the kind of stuff we need to know - potential actual info!

I would be honest when I say 90% compatability would dissapoint me somewhat. I hope none of my games are affected! But still 90% is a good achievement however. I hope for that sacrifice though they're doing it sans the PS2 hardware inside!

Just as important, this article (if true) puts to final rest any notion of PS3 only shipping with blu-ray optical capability.

I never thought of it that way, but yeah, that's true.

I, too, am hoping that 90% holds up to my library. Hopefully it will.

Tael
10-27-2005, 06:47 PM
I think that 90% is pretty good so far.

venomv
10-27-2005, 07:24 PM
It also doesn't say percentages of PS1 vs PS2 games, I think it's probably more PS1 then PS2's that are incompatable.

Z
10-27-2005, 07:33 PM
to be honest, due to the high quality and numbers of PS2 coming out even after PS3 launches cough *FF12* cough, I really do see myself and many other playing many PS2 games on PS3. when PS2 came out, I really didn't give much attention to my PSOne games. I mostly played them on my PS2 just for the heck of it- and also seeing the difference some had like faster loading and smoother textures. but in this case, I think PS3 will have a fair share of PS2 games being played on it. even Subsistence will release a month or two before PS3, if I am not mistaken.
looks like b/c is now more important than ever. MS evidently proves this with the struggle they are going through just to allow a few b/c supported games.

Domination
10-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I think that 90% is pretty good so far.

For the PS1 and the PS2, yeah. I wonder, though, if that 10% really means ~5% for each console.

Glacier
10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Oh my! I feel so sad! You people so worried about your precious libraries of games. Fortunately me not. You paid lots of money on a few titles, didn't you? That's why compatibility is a big issue for you,right? Unfortunately my happiness comes from an unholy reason. Its piracy. Yeah, its piracy. Time for confession. Though I'm not the culprit here. I live in Asia. A PS2 game costs 2.7 US dollars. Everyone buy them, and they are sold everywhere. My point is no one care about backward compatibility around here, as you can get any "next-gen" game dirt cheap. Yet I believe we are doing a great disservice to the entire gaming industry.
Thats what I've got to say.

imported_The_One
10-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Bah, I've been to China, and piracy is HUGE. The mod chips back there was cheap too (went to Shanghai this summer and the mod chips were 260 RMB each, equivalent to 30 bucks US?). It can't be helped, considering how the government can't really do much about it right now (they're tightening the rules, but there's still plenty of piracy going on).

Backward compatilibity might not matter to them, but they're not Sony's nor Microsoft's main targeted audience anyways, since the pirated games they buy doesn't translate into profit for Sony. B/C mainly matters to people that care and/or have loads of previous gen games. Either way, having B/C is definately a plus, even if it's only 90%. I just hope that this time, the PS3 will actually enhance the games in some way... If nothing else, at least nail that framerate a solid 30 or 60 FPS (whichever the game was designed to run at).

Effulgence
10-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Lets hope ff7 doesnt work so Square has a reason to remake it!!!

As for China piracy, yeah its massive. I bet more fake games are sold than real games. I remember buying Sonic 3 for gameboy (this is way back when sega was still making consoles) and i just thought wtf sega game on nintendo system?

Generic Wheaties
10-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Haha yeah! Sony could purposley make it so FF7 is unplayable would be great!

Sephiroth_VII
10-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Even my 3.2 GHZ P4 CPU, with 1 GB RAM, and a 6800 GPU, has problem emulating the PSX. The problem is, that the whole strukture of the PS3, is very, very diffrent to that of PSX. That means that the ps3 has to use A LOT of power to copycat the psx's memory, GPU, and CPU interface. This is one of th eproblems with PSP emulators too. Forexample, one of the hardfest things to emculate, is actually the GBA... At least in my experience.

Luis
10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Bah, I've been to China, and piracy is HUGE. The mod chips back there was cheap too (went to Shanghai this summer and the mod chips were 260 RMB each, equivalent to 30 bucks US?). It can't be helped, considering how the government can't really do much about it right now (they're tightening the rules, but there's still plenty of piracy going on).Piracy in China is extreme for various reasons I won't mention since this could become a highly controversial debate. They fake everything, from videogame consoles to clothes to watches to cars (yes, cars) and whatnot. Also, they export worldwide. One of the reasons for piracy not decreasing is the unaccessibility to piracy factories and therefore proceeding to shut them down. I once read that Sony was tracing Chinese mod chip factories which were located inside remote prisons, working underground. However, physical unaccessibility is not the only obstacle, since there have to be so many mafias involved. I don't know if I should believe this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be true.

If nothing else, at least nail that framerate a solid 30 or 60 FPS (whichever the game was designed to run at).I wonder, in case it can't be done directly on software/hardware PS3 emulation, if Sony could ask the most popular developers to develop a patch to let some PS2 games take advantage of the new hardware. For instance, get Kojima Productions to release a patch for MGS3 making it able to run at Solid 60FPS, and maybe some other minor (or major) improvements.

Lets hope ff7 doesnt work so Square has a reason to remake it!!!Actually, FFVII doesn't run properly on PS2 when "Texture smoothing" option is on, it freezes after a few minutes. Will it work properly on PS3 then? FFVIII and FFIX run fine though. As a matter of fact, I never got to play FFIX on my PS(1) since I didn't want to go retro and not make use of PS2's enhanced emulation. And I feel like playing FFVIII once again sometime soon on PS2 too.

Anyway, it would be so great to play a FFVII remake on PS3... Why not releasing (or rather announcing) it by FFVII's tenth anniversary? C'mon S-E!

Z
10-27-2005, 10:20 PM
even if it's only 90%.
only? some jeeves (get it?) are hard to please. if MS could even get half of that, you would see them jumping for joy. 90% (if that is final) is huge. come on now, you aren't going to pay for b/c to a few games. you are getting thousands upon thousands of b/c games for free. well, I should say 'standard'.

Z
10-27-2005, 11:25 PM
yes, archetecture is the main focus here.

hey Sephiroth, where were you? :)

Dralor
10-28-2005, 03:28 AM
I hope you mean PS2 because if your talking about the PS1 you are doing something wrong.

rpgamer_2k5
10-28-2005, 11:48 AM
I hope you mean PS2 because if your talking about the PS1 you are doing something wrong. Probably depends on the game. The emulator does not support every single PS3 game. Heck, I had trouble playing a few SNEs games on a PIII; it does happen. Generally a rig with such specifications will play a PSX game well, along with improvement.

CrumCon
10-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Well we shouldnt worry about ps3 not being 100% full backcompatible with PS2/P1.
Honestly, how many ps2 and ps1 games do you have?

I have over 150 PS1 games, and only 3 games in my collection are not playable on PS2.

TimmyJ
10-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Does it really matter if the PS3 doesn't have 100% first party emulation of PS1 titles? When the HDD comes out with Linux preloaded on it then there's a good chance that we'll see a PS1 emulator from the homebrew community, the likelihood is that a third party PS1 emulator would be better anyway (just look at the PS1 emulation on the PS2 and that available on the PC). As for PS2 emulation... it's not even been done on the PC yet (not to a great extent anyway) so there's not really any hope for a version on the PS3 for a long time if ever.

Dralor
10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Damn and I thought I had a nice collection with about 30 PS1 games and just over 40 PS2 games.

rpgamer_2k5
10-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Well we shouldnt worry about ps3 not being 100% full backcompatible with PS2/P1.

I have over 150 PS1 games, and only 3 games in my collection are not playable on PS2.
I'm probably over a 100; I got a number of games that still have not been played yet. I need to complete Breath of Fire 3 (skipped onto 4 =^D), Wild Arms 2, Thousand Arms, Tales of Destiny (went on to Eternia), Vagrant Story and probably a few others. For the PS2, I got roughly 60 games; I still need to get a few more. For the PS2, I need to complete FFX-2, BOF5, Dark Cloud 2, Suikoden III, IV, a few others along with Devil May Cry 3 (I ignored 2, and just purchased 1).

Now hearing this... I can't wait til I'm done with my exams and papers. I'm going to dedicate 2 days on a short game, and 3-4 days on a mid-game. I'll probably give Suikoden III a week. Work will somehow fit in...oh yes, time management at its best. :spiny:

I was playing Devil May Cry 3 recently and that game ain't easy. :swear:

Oh yeah, I can't forget about Dragon Quest VIII. Everyone must buy it. :tardbang:

Z
10-28-2005, 06:46 PM

very good point.

Z
10-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh my! I feel so sad! You people so worried about your precious libraries of games. Fortunately me not. You paid lots of money on a few titles, didn't you? That's why compatibility is a big issue for you,right? Unfortunately my happiness comes from an unholy reason. Its piracy. Yeah, its piracy. Time for confession. Though I'm not the culprit here. I live in Asia. A PS2 game costs 2.7 US dollars. Everyone buy them, and they are sold everywhere. My point is no one care about backward compatibility around here, as you can get any "next-gen" game dirt cheap. Yet I believe we are doing a great disservice to the entire gaming industry.
Thats what I've got to say.
err, okay pirate-go-happy, but what does that have to do with b/c? you can get free games for all I care, but what is the use if you can't play them on PS3? the whole point of b/c is having one console (PS3) to play PSOne games, PS2 games, PS3 games, DVD movies, BD movies and Audio CDs.
for those who get a PS3, they can get rid of their PS2's and only have one system for convienence. the more important role is for those who do not have a PS2 (or a PSOne if anybody still cares) can now get one system to play them all. if someone a few months fom now wanted to play MGS3, AC, GT and then say Fatal Inertia and the new tekken, do you expect him to buy 2 consoles to play two libraries? a one choice system will be very attractive. and that's what all the fuss about b/c is all about.

Glacier
10-30-2005, 01:20 AM
err, okay pirate-go-happy, but what does that have to do with b/c? you can get free games for all I care, but what is the use if you can't play them on PS3?
Well, to be honest with you, I don't know either.
All that I wanted to say is that I don't care about backward compatibility and I've never did. The only plausible explanation, I thought, was the previously stated reason.
Anyway, going through this thread gave me a rare opportunity to think about it for the first time, and it got my 100% approval. Now I believe it should be standardized into all upcoming consoles. We costumers deserve it, right?

Footnote:
Z, don't use this mocking tone of yours on me! You hear me!?

Z's reply," Loud and clear, sir."
lol

Z
11-03-2005, 04:31 AM
Footnote #2:

Z: "who's your daddy?"

Glacier: "Iwata."

Glacier
11-03-2005, 06:36 AM
http://xs53.xs.to/pics/05444/Iwata.jpg

archash
11-04-2005, 04:42 AM
I'm probably over a 100; I got a number of games that still have not been played yet. I need to complete Breath of Fire 3 (skipped onto 4 =^D), Wild Arms 2, Thousand Arms, Tales of Destiny (went on to Eternia), Vagrant Story and probably a few others. For the PS2, I got roughly 60 games; I still need to get a few more. For the PS2, I need to complete FFX-2, BOF5, Dark Cloud 2, Suikoden III, IV, a few others along with Devil May Cry 3 (I ignored 2, and just purchased 1).

Now hearing this... I can't wait til I'm done with my exams and papers. I'm going to dedicate 2 days on a short game, and 3-4 days on a mid-game. I'll probably give Suikoden III a week. Work will somehow fit in...oh yes, time management at its best. :spiny:

I was playing Devil May Cry 3 recently and that game ain't easy. :swear:

Oh yeah, I can't forget about Dragon Quest VIII. Everyone must buy it. :tardbang:

oh man...and i thought my gaming schedule was busy! check it out: FinalFantasyX:International(wanted to see what those pesky dark aeons look like), FinalFantasyX-2(up to around 25% of the game i started to look for diversion...it had too much girl power going on for my taste), Resident Evil 4(ashley keeps getting kidnapped!), Marvel Nemesis(can't find the right mood to endure wolverine's ramblings), StarOcean III(i'm giving up on this...)....add that to 40+ hours work/week = a lot of sleepless nights:-!

about the whole b/c issue though, i read somewhere that CD's usually have lifespans of up to X years? so even if the ps3 is 100% compatible, that point would somewhat be moot. someone please clarify.

what i would like to happen is for game companies to just release a couple of compilations. since Blu-rays will be the PS3 standard, and that's a lot of storage space for classic PS1, even PS2 games IMO. i know it might take years for this to happen though

rpgamer_2k5
11-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Agree. X-2 is just err... it is decent for an RPG, but certainly doesn't match the other FF games.

That Ashley, she's really annoying, but overall Resident Evil 4 is a great game, even though I haven't completed it for the Cube. Along with many other titles.... :@

about the whole b/c issue though, i read somewhere that CD's usually have lifespans of up to X years? so even if the ps3 is 100% compatible, that point would somewhat be moot. someone please clarify. It depends. Most of my PSX games are still working fine.

I purchased FFVII back in 98, seven years gone by and it's still good. This is because even low-end CDRs have a 75-year life-span. PSX games don't use CDRs so the life-span should be much greater; >75 years.

Besides many of our Sega CD, Saturn and PSX games will probably live longer than us, so it's not much of an issue.

Z
11-04-2005, 09:49 PM
also, b/c is an initial advantage that very much blends the transition. after PS3 starts picking up you will notice PS2 getting less and less support. Sony has done a great job on the shift from PSOne to PS2. to show how much a good job they did, here is a quick question: is PSOne still being made? are there still PSOne games being made?
you will find most people scratching their heads to answer that. you see, Sony has to be careful not to overlap their markets. they now have PS2, PSP and the comming PS3. they don't want to cut off their biggest cash cow (PS2) nor neglect their new cash cow-to-be (PS3) while not forgetting about the little cash calf (PSP). they are doing great with the deep interconnectivity between PSP and PS3. now they need to walk this fine rope just right to get the maximum benifit and least hits.

venomv
11-05-2005, 02:00 AM
I have no idea if they are still making PS1 games, but I know there are still some being sold new. I saw some tonight when I went to the store to get something .

Dralor
11-05-2005, 04:50 AM
Ya fixed it.

You can delete this as your post is gone.